Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just bought a BR player. Somehow I knew this was going on.

Now if you could just get a hold of the Coleman Francis trilogy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

An English play translated into German and then dubbed back into English.

What could possibly go wrong?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Payndz posted:

If you do, it has to be the shot of Torgo reaching out at the camera while he's greebling over the wife.

This?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Quixotic Pickle posted:

Satellite News has an update about the other Manos project going on at torgolives.com. Apparently they start filming the sequel they've been talking about forever next week. :airquote:

Anywho...I'm way more interested in this project than some sequel, and I'd love to contribute financially, but sadly that's not an option at this time. I would, however, love to buy a copy on blu-ray to watch when I eventually get one of them new fangled devices.

The sequel is sure to suck. They need to leave well enough alone.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

IShallRiseAgain posted:

the popularity of Manos

Did you ever think you'd be writing THAT sentence?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

chesh posted:

I've been following this thread since the beginning, but I mostly lurk everywhere. I wholeheartedly applaud you, BenSolo, and can't wait to see how this turns out.

But holy poo poo, this please. I'll buy the Manos Blu-Ray just to support a fellow goon, but I would kill a hobo to see a documentary about the process of restoring this and everyone involved that you've contacted or reached out to or have contacted/reached out to you. It's such an amazing journey for such an obscure film that literally would have died a tragic cinema death if it weren't for some weird rear end cable show making fun of it in the most memorable way possible.

And I would help you dispose of said hobo. I'm a sucker for those "how stuff works" documentaries and this would be no exception. Bring on the deluxe Blu-Ray.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

randombattle posted:

I dunno man you have the chance to rid the world of Manos.
You should do it.

You would be a hero.

In this crazy world of ours, Manos is the least of our worries. Now getting rid of Rob Schneider is something we can all get behind.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ballz posted:

Personally, I love this review of the film, where it portrays Torgo as the movie's protagonist:

There was a horse show!?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Saw this update on Facebook:

http://www.manosinhd.com/fracas/

drat!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm in for $50. Now I play the waiting game.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Since the movie is public domain, doesn't that mean the characters and their images are as well? For example, if you wanted to make Torgo t-shirts, could you do so without have to clear it first?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Holy crap!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Rirse posted:

Can someone find a screenshot from the old dvd/MST3K still of that scene? The work you put into it so far is amazing. I can't wait to see the final product, Ben Solo.

I grabbed this from the PD DVD from Alpha Video:

It's somewhere in between.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

DrVenkman posted:

I was just thinking the same thing. When Torgo reaches out to touch her he goes for her shoulder and her hair before she even seems to react to it.

Couldn't they only film for like 90 seconds with the camera they were using? It feels like they basically made each shot last 90 seconds and then sort of cut the film together with scenes going on way longer than they should.

It was just 32 seconds. Watch it again and get a stopwatch ready and time the cuts.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

hyperhazard posted:

Go whole hog; add a laugh-track!

(Joking. Please don't do that. Although it would be hilarious.)

Just grab the PD version and go nuts. Actually, that might be fun to have goons take bits and pieces of the movie and make a series of YouTube videos.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's our Torgo!

So much better than this:

But why the one drawn-on eyebrow? :confused:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Three Pixel posted:

Yes! From the Rifftrax facebook: August 16th, Rifftrax live Manos!

MOTHERFUCKING YES!!!!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cartoon Man posted:

Manos: The Snuggie of Fate

I was going to wait until it was done, but, what the hell. I have a friend who makes quilts, so I commissioned her to make me this:

Manos, the Quilt of Fate

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ben Solo posted:

Let me take this chance to ask- would anyone be interested in buying a 'Master' shirt with proceeds going directly to Tom and Jackey Neyman, AKA The Master and Debbie?

Put me down for one.

Also, a question: Since I'm getting the Blu-Ray package, will my shirt & pin ship with the disc?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
New interview with Ben

He says he's about 50% done!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

YOU WILL BUY A T-SHIRT WITH MY LIKENESS! :black101:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Woo hoo! Got my shirt and pin today!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Glass Joe posted:

Just got my t-shirt and pin too, just in time to go geek out for the evening!

I'm not wearing mine out until the live show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Well, it's here:

Manos, The Quilt of Fate

I hope The Master approves.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Egbert Souse posted:

Bad movies are just as useful for teaching filmmaking as great ones. Not everyone can be the next Welles, but they can avoid being another Warren.

A pity someone didn't tell James Nguyen that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

adamj1982 posted:

Do they always do that back and forth merging between full screen and that side bar with their faces? I found that annoying and unnecessary.

Yep, but you get used to it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ben Solo posted:

Personally, I loved Rifftrax's treatment of the film. Though I've had to watch the film many times over in the course of this project, Thursday night was like seeing 'Manos' through fresh eyes. The baggage carried by the old jokes quickly fell away and we were back to enjoying it as the truly perplexing film discovery that it is.

Though it wasn't the restoration, if you went to the screening you saw a transfer of an honest-to-god vintage print with character, true to what you might have experienced in a 1966 Texan drive-in. As prints for this title are extremely scarce (I only know of three in existence) I'm glad things worked out to begin with.

By the way, here's a peek at the trio of shirts that'll be available for pre-order starting this week. I had a limited quantity of these printed for the El Paso showing as a special treat and was happy to see so much positive feedback. Hope you'll like them- any suggestions or comments are welcome before they go public.

The much-requested "Hands" T-shirt. Believe me, I looked into making a snuggie and it just wasn't as cost-effective.

A modified Torgo shirt (without the 'Restoration Team' text) for those who missed out the first time around. Excising the text gave us room for a larger graphic and the underlying shirt has been changed from 'Tan' to 'Old Gold'.

All proceeds from the above shirts will support the printing of a new preservation negative. Finally:

The Master himself, authorized by the Master himself! "Sinister" isn't descriptive enough: the image on this one is huge and extremely impressive.

Proceeds from the 'Master' shirt will go straight to Jackey Neyman Jones (Debbie) and Tom Neyman (The Master). It'll be the first profit of any kind they have seen from this film.

I'll take a hands & Master shirt!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I ordered a Master t-shirt today.

Now I play the waiting game.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just caught this on Jackey Raye "Debbie" Neyman Jones' Facebook page:

quote:

I've started a re-creation of my dad's Master painting if anyone is interested in prints. If I get enough interest, I'll get it done.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BooDoug187 posted:

Would love a print too, what facebook or site can you put in for preorders or whatever? I looked her up on facebook but she has 2 different profiles and I would feel weird if I like tried to friend the wrong one or whatever.

http://www.facebook.com/jackeyraye

You'll have to scroll through her timeline to find the original post.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ben Solo posted:

Ever since the Rifftrax Live show, the director's son has been harassing anyone that he thinks might be intimidated into giving him some money. This includes myself, the creator of the iPhone game, the city of El Paso (for exhibiting the film), Jackey Neyman-Jones and Tom Neyman (because he wants a cut of their benefit shirt). So far, as there's no proof that what he's saying has any basis in fact, he's had no success.

Why now, all of a sudden? His business partner has made him some big promises lately- for instance, that it's possible to take Manos out of the public domain after 46 years in spite of many, many decades of legal precedent saying otherwise. I've dealt with his business partner before: he likes to use the pseudonym "Rupert Munch", and it seems like Joe believes anything he says.

After the way they've been threatening Jackey and Tom, I don't think these two can pretend to be looking out for the cast's best interests as they have in the past. As far as I'm concerned, Tom and Jackey have the right to put their own likenesses on merchandise and that's the way it'll stay.

In a totally coincidental note, we're now working on a shirt featuring Debbie walking her hell-hound. I'm sure it'll be both heartwarming and badass, and I don't need to tell you where the proceeds are going.

What a dick. I'm waiting for my Master t-shirt now and am definitely interested in a Master painting/print. Your new t-short sounds cool, too.

I wonder if Munch's middle name is "Butt"? :v:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

micpp posted:

That's true these days, but at the time Manos came out, it was actually the case that you had to put the copyright notice there. Night of the Living Dead had a similar issue with falling out of copyright due to missing the notice.

Didn't Romero deliberately leave the copyright notice off the movie?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
What's the status of the Blu-Ray and the Master t-shirts?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ballz posted:

I'm not Ben, but I saw on the main website he posted a comment saying the shirts got delayed a bit and he only began sending them out a week ago and that the last of them should have been out on Monday (Oct. 29).

Dunno about the Blu-Ray, but the restoration itself seems to be on target for a December completion.

I must have missed that. Thanks for the update.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Got my Master t-shirt today. It looks better in person.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
What's the current status of the Blu-Rays?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ben Solo posted:

I've always had a soft spot for Portland ever since one of my awful student films got into the H.P. Lovecraft festival (don't try to find it). I'm looking forward to coming back, even if it is still gonna be in the dead of winter.

This should be an Easter egg on the Blu Ray. :v:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ben Solo posted:

Incidentally, I applied for a grant from the Texas Film Commission a while back to see if they'd help with the preservation negative. They said "no".

Go back and tell them Chuck Norris is in it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Jackey is selling autographed prints of the Master painting from the movie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manos-The-Hands-of-Fate-Master-and-Dog-Painting-Signed-Prints-/230965406566

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Any word on the release of the Blu-ray?

• Locked thread