Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Greetings Programs!

Rather than take over the "DSM Thread" with all my posts, I figure that having it here and I can just dump stuff willy nilly and y'all can complain or whatever about it here, and specifically call me out for stupid stuff that I might do or have done or whatever.

Anyways, a long time ago, about, oh 2001, before the Lancer Evolution or even the WRX came stateside, when I was going to college, I bought a car. A 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, to be specific. It had approximately 70 thousand miles on it and was being sold by a guy who was going to grad school. The timing belt had not been done, which should've at 60k (bad sign), but since I was desperate for an AWD turbo car, I figured I'd just deal with it and fix things as I went.

So I bought it. I immediately had the timing belt done, and then a short time later (around 10k or so) the clutch was shot. When I pulled the transmission, there was no fluid in the tranny, which would later on lead to a complete rebuild a few short years later. While I was at it, i dealt with blown turbos, bad dealerships, melted wiring harnesses, expensive tows from aforementioned harness melting, complete engine swaps, a fender bender or two, lots of money, and stupidity spent.

Here's a terrible picture of how high the car is actually with stock ride height after I put my then new wheels on. Yeek.

I move out of my parent's place because I was completely becoming a reclusive shut-in, and mothball the car as my insurance was too expensive to keep going while making poo poo money along with rent prices. I make a solemn vow in June of 2006 at my car to return as soon as possible when I made more money as to support my further stupidity.

Hard-parking with a friend's (now destroyed) WRX.

And for non hardparking: Up at NHIS in happier times in early 2006:

---

Then one day in October 2011, after I finally managed to get another job that made enough money, I knew it was time. It was time to raise the Titanic and do what I had always wanted to with the car. Or at least sort of do with it given my current circumstances of not having a giant truck and trailer and an extra 60k to throw in the car.

But it's not going to be an easy job, as the car has been sitting for many years, and needs much work to get going again. The JIC Magic shocks set up by John Mueller? Blown. The bolts? Rusty. The battery? Very, very dead. The interior? Moldy. The paint? Probably needs some help.

This is the story of stupid car poo poo into making it into a weekend fun car that can do track events but still drive home at the end of it.

---

What's on the semi-immediate before a track event checklist:

Install Brembo caliper setup with stainless lines.
Replace Timing belt (It's been five years, better safe than sorry).
Change fluids.
Drop gas tank and clear out that 3/4 of a tank of 5 year old gas in there. :gonk:
Clean up the surface rust on the bolts and heat shielding. :gonk: :gonk:
Get some new wheels and tires for the car. The 7.5 inch Gram Lights are too narrow for such a fat car, and the offset won't clear those big Brembos. Thinking about doing a 17x9.5 +22 with some 235 or 245 width rubber.
Get a new front end and duct brakes/cooling system.
Retune ECU.
Replace wheel studs with ARP units. After my good friend lost his wheel at NHIS on his Evo with the same Kyo Ei studs I have, I'm a bit nervous about my old studs.

And then the future plans:

Replace turbo with something bigger. Probably an evo 9 turbo or something of that ilken. Shoot for around 400 HP without blowing the denso 660s at the road course.
Run some 272 cams from HKS or Jun. Have heard and seen nothing but poo poo about Crowers.
Get some better differentials.
Fix the dumb dents/bumps etc.
Finally enjoy the car for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

So of course the first dumb thing I do on my spare day off when I'm down at my parents is... Jump the battery and start the dumb stupid car up. It actually started with no problems (after a few cranks that is), even built a little bit of boost.

I was expecting a bit of a poo poo-show on the car for sitting in a pretty wet garage by the water, but I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was:

Mold. Mold was all over the place on the car except somehow the driver's seat (A flameproof Bride Zeta 3). Grooooss..

It cleaned up OK:

(there's a lot of gauges there). I need a good suede brush to work on the wear spots where your hands go.

So after cleaning that up sort of (still going to do some more tomorrow), and sorting through my parts, I decided to wash it and leave it alone for now:

Currently my schedule to get it over to the shop where the tank will be drained and the parts installed will be in somewhere around January so I'm not really that interested in tearing the whole car apart on the driveway to change fluids, etc. I'm going to sort through the engine some more tomorrow, maybe hit the rust/coating with a wire brush to see how far the rabbit hole goes as far as decay. :\

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That's gross.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Jesus, you're playing with fire by starting and driving a car that's been sitting for 5 years without replacing the fluids...all of them?
Please tell me you at least changed the oil?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Bad storys about BC cams? My friend just installed a set and he has had no issues!

I did grab his Evo8 MR cams off him however... :)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kaptainballistik posted:

Bad storys about BC cams? My friend just installed a set and he has had no issues!

I did grab his Evo8 MR cams off him however... :)

IIRC Crowers are re-grinds, at least for my car, and I have read people say they don't always work flawlessly

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

drat, that's gross. Good luck with your project though. Every single nut and bolt on my 91 Eclipse was stripped and rusted to hell and back, so good luck with that too. That being said, I have a weird love/hate relationship with DSMs and considering I don't have $10,000 to spend fixing one to be actually drivable, I will be living vicariously through you and this thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It says something that I can look at that mould and just go "Meh, get a sponge..."

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Well, I checked out the bay this morning, and the timing belt has a hole in it from something chewing on it. Not good. At all. :( Unfortunately, the only way to move it is to start the drat thing because the rotors are so corroded, so uh. low RPMs and lots of prayer.

I was going to take a metal brush to all the parts but honestly at this point I'd rather get the timing belt done, the engine sorted out and so forth, than worry about a few rusty bolts.

http://amsperformance.com/camtest.php

Here's the 4G63 cam test, amongst all the other talk. But that's way way further down the road.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
God love ya. I'm pretty amazed that it started so easily after sitting for so long and (presumably) on old gas. It's as good a start as any I guess.

Just make sure your dipstick is secure this time. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good luck dude, doesn't sound like fun but I commend you for keeping the car as long as you did and bringing it back to life. Should be a blast to drive when you're done with it.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Um.... of course you are going to get worse offboost performance with the bigger cams, Have you seen how much more duration you have?

Especially a motor with a 8-8.5 static C/R. Real insanity comes with a set of JC 10:1 pistons and E85. A combo like that with a Kelford Rally grind camset and a 34mm restrictor is pushing 190KW ATW and 800nm

Yes 800NM....

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
It's good to see that red bitch getting some love again.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sigtrap posted:

It's good to see that red bitch getting some love again.

I don't appreciate those type of comments on this Christian Motoring forum, sir. I am having trouble believe people haven't said Doesn't Start Much yet.

I really want to do a fwd 2G turbo for LeMons/Chumpcar, but finding a running $500 one that hasn't crankwalked to hell is not easy.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

DJ Commie posted:

I really want to do a fwd 2G turbo for LeMons/Chumpcar, but finding a running $500 one that hasn't crankwalked to hell is not easy.

Good luck finding a 1G turbo running for that money. Hell even the non-turbo 1st gens that run go for $1,000 or more.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
My friend got an 87 Porsche 944S that had been sitting for 6 years for dirt cheap.

The gas tank is a huge PITA to drop, so we just disconnected the fuel rail, ran the feed line into a gas can and jumpered the fuel pump. 20 minutes later the tank was 99% empty and we saved a shitload of labor and time. I highly recommend this option.

Also oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes before you crank it, but I guess you already started it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Yeah, I'm probably just going to run it through the fuel line, as the chance for moisture build up in the tank is pretty low due to the amount of gas actually in the tank. DSM Link even has an option to just crank the fuel pump as much as it needs.

I wonder if my tuning laptop (an ancient pentium 2) still works with my dsm link on there? :shobon:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good luck with the resurrection. If you were in SoCal I'd give you a hand. Anything beats working on my own car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Sorry for the lack of progress in this thread, it's been a mild winter, but no progress has been made. I haven't even scheduled a date for drop-off times because I've got to get my own personal apartment setup taken care of first. Also kinda scurred to get the shocks rebuilt and how much that would cost (although not really at the same point).

Other than that, I'm half tempted to offer this guy here:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-wheels-tires/593915-5x-five-low-mileage-advan-rgii-gold-17x9-29-a.html

1400~1500 shipped for the set for my car to clear the new calipers and get a wider than 7.5" wide wheel. I have no idea what I was thinking when I only got 7.5" wide wheels back in the day. :(

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009
Depending on the offset 7.5's can work with Brembos though. The Evo 5/6s had 7.5" OZs. Do you definitely know that your wheels won't clear them? Or do you just want them for wider tyres?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh good, I'm glad this thread updated. I was thinking of it the other day and couldn't figure out where it had gone.

Did you stabilize the fuel before you put it away, or were you never planning to park it for that long?

DJ Commie posted:

I am having trouble believe people haven't said Doesn't Start Much yet.
There's a reason they call it the DSM-V. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BoostCreep posted:

Good luck finding a 1G turbo running for that money. Hell even the non-turbo 1st gens that run go for $1,000 or more.

A friend of mine is also trying to resurrect an Eclipse, a 98 GSX that they scored for $1K. The brakes are locked and he's made very little progress in getting them free. It's been on jack stands for 3 months now.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 5, 2012

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Man, I remember the melted harness. I think we thought it was a fuse and ended up running all around Canaan, CT to find one. Of course, nobody had that, not that it would do any good. A $600 tow from Limerock at night in the freezing dark, early November and back home you were.

Great (stupid) times.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
After all the stories I heard about this car I'm excited to see it resurrected.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

It's definitely eventual... although I've got an insurance payment coming one of these days and I might just throw in the towel and get a Z3 Coupe M edition (The thought of the sin!).

I didn't stablize the gas at all (oops), and the gram lights wheels are around a 40 offset. I really just want wider, lower offset wheels, but that's a "to come" kind of thing.

Once I get through the suspension/engine stuff/gas issues, I really want to duct the front end all proper for the IC/Radiator/Oil cooler, and maybe get a vented hood.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I still think your car is beautiful and would want it. My Daihatsus are far too reliable :)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I still think your car is beautiful and would want it. My Daihatsus are far too reliable :)

I'm pretty sure if I stopped loving with the car and parts and such it'd be fine but I can't help myself.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm pretty sure if I stopped loving with the car and parts and such it'd be fine but I can't help myself.

That is me and suspension settings for the race car, its endless to try to eke a few tenths out of a slow rear end car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

That is me and suspension settings for the race car, its endless to try to eke a few tenths out of a slow rear end car.

That's pretty much why I went with Muellerized JICs, I basically wanted no say in spring rate/shock dampening other than "Put these on and go fast" kind of stuff.

Now I'm going to have a big can of worms once they're rebuilt (hopefully locally). Either that or I just dump some Bilstein/Penske custom setup in it and not touch it again.

I find actually driving the car much more rewarding than throwing money at it and on my back working on it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Looks like you got another 20k miles off the redesigned Eclipse. I had a '94 GSX and by 65k miles the engine and transmission were completely dead. By 60k the 2nd and 3rd gear and reverse synchro's poo poo themselves, all seemingly within 50 miles of each other. By 65k I had to pull the engine and do extensive work to get it running again. I didn't "race" it or anything, it was a daily driver for 15k miles. After rebuilding the engine and transmission, I sold it and just took the loss.

keykey fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 6, 2012

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

keykey posted:

Looks like you got another 20k miles off the redesigned Eclipse. I had a '94 GSX and by 65k miles the engine and transmission were completely dead. By 60k the 2nd and 3rd gear and reverse synchro's poo poo themselves, all seemingly within 50 miles of each other. By 65k I had to pull the engine and do extensive work to get it running again. I didn't "race" it or anything, it was a daily driver for 15k miles. After rebuilding the engine and transmission, I sold it and just took the loss.

Sounds like you just got a lemon.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I really have to stop buying dumb poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're going to save a lot of unsprung weight over the cinder blocks it's currently using. :v:

Where'd you pick those up from?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You're going to save a lot of unsprung weight over the cinder blocks it's currently using. :v:

Where'd you pick those up from?

Some dude was selling them on evolutionM and I had wanted to get a set of TCII (didn't have the size I wanted and they're discontinued) or TCIII (Too much money) buit RGII's are okay.

I lowballed the poo poo out of him because they're a set of five wheels and two need to be refinished. He wanted 1800 and I laughed pretty hard.

They're actually the wheels I linked earlier in this thread. I'm probably going to have the car towed maybe at the end of the month to the shop.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 17, 2012

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Octopus Magic posted:

Some dude was selling them on evolutionM and I had wanted to get a set of TCII (didn't have the size I wanted and they're discontinued) or TCIII (Too much money) buit RGII's are okay.

I lowballed the poo poo out of him because they're a set of five wheels and two need to be refinished. He wanted 1800 and I laughed pretty hard.

They're actually the wheels I linked earlier in this thread. I'm probably going to have the car towed maybe at the end of the month to the shop.

Looking forward to replacing a radiator at 4am on a Thursday. Again.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Looking forward to replacing a radiator at 4am on a Thursday. Again.

My koyo is doing fine, thank you.

Buy another Evo. :colbert:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Octopus Magic posted:

Wreck another Evo. :colbert:

I remember this car from way way back when. Nice to see it progressing in a forward direction.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

So tomorrow is the big day of towing it over. I'm almost kind of scared to see the bill. I'm budgeting about 2-3k away for this project, although it'd be much, much nicer if it was nowhere near that.

In the mean time, I've been thinking of a new front end so I can up the frontal duct area. While most are pretty awful, I found a C-West knockoff (called Tracer 2) that seems to fit the bill (big ducts, not retarded looking). In fact, it's pretty dang similar to what I already have.

I'm interested with my oil cooler being pretty hidden with the standard side intakes, this might be a cheap solution perhaps.

I'm not much for the little wheel ducts, but the frontal radiator area is good, and the secondary smaller areas could be used for brake ducting.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Things should be happening at a much quicker rate now:

vrooooooom

I had to take the front end off to make it get up the ramps. The oil cooler barely cleared the up ramp still. :gonk:

I also had to jump start it twice to get it off and on the trailer. The timing belt is still good. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Well gently caress me, the shop I towed it over to doesn't want to work on it. The undercarriage/engine bay apparently is too rusted from 5 years of storage....

gently caress. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. :(

• Locked thread