Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

DJ Commie posted:

I really want to do a fwd 2G turbo for LeMons/Chumpcar, but finding a running $500 one that hasn't crankwalked to hell is not easy.

Good luck finding a 1G turbo running for that money. Hell even the non-turbo 1st gens that run go for $1,000 or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good luck with the resurrection. If you were in SoCal I'd give you a hand. Anything beats working on my own car.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

keykey posted:

Looks like you got another 20k miles off the redesigned Eclipse. I had a '94 GSX and by 65k miles the engine and transmission were completely dead. By 60k the 2nd and 3rd gear and reverse synchro's poo poo themselves, all seemingly within 50 miles of each other. By 65k I had to pull the engine and do extensive work to get it running again. I didn't "race" it or anything, it was a daily driver for 15k miles. After rebuilding the engine and transmission, I sold it and just took the loss.

Sounds like you just got a lemon.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to see pictures of this rust. Yes some bolts will probably snap due to rust. That's going to happen with any car that age. I snapped a bolt out of the fender on my Talon when I took it off. I plan on drilling it out and replacing it, not scrapping the car.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

Maybe I'll just drag the car back to my parents, take a week off work, start working on it at their place like every good DSM'er. gently caress 'em.

Right on brother.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Keep the 2Gb Talon! I hate when Talons get converted to Eclipses :( Plus 2Gb Talons are extremely rare enough as is... especially a 97+ Silver one. You found one rare DSM soon to be converted to just another red eclipse.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

Yeah but I strongly dislike 2G Talons and want to pretend I never let my poor red Eclipse down :(

I really really hate the wing on it.

Then send me your Talon parts. I'll put them to good use :)

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just realized how apt the thread title is.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I much prefer this Eclipse video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnKWMHb5ecU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I shipped my Talon across the country with a reputable company. It showed up with a smashed front bumper, crushed intercooler, and seized engine. You're really better off flying down yourself and driving back. It will cost about the same I'd imagine.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shame about the side skirt. The 95-96 turbo talon skirts are extremely rare and sell for a lot to the right buyer. I've seen them go for as much as $450 for the pair.

It's always fun driving DSMs long distance. You never know what you're getting yourself into. Fabbing a clutch line on the side of the road 1500 miles from home? Pretty standard for a DSMer. Glad you made it back in one piece.

I drove in a caravan to the DSM Shootout in 2001 with a guy that had a '90 Laser with a pretty significant oil consumption problem. He burned through 4-5 quarts of oil from South Carolina to Ohio. The front of his car was white, the back from the doors to the bumper was completely black from oil spray. You couldn't even see out his rear window.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

4-5 quarts over 500-700 miles is a ton of oil. Were his rings shot/turbo shot? Gross.

I don't really remember. I think it was a mix of leaking oil and burning oil. I do remember that he bought it from a junkyard and got it running right before driving it to the Shootout, so who knows what condition the engine was in.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So they spliced their gauges into the alarm wiring? Typical DSMer.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It has those mods, but is it tuned? What fuel pump? injectors? Boost leaks? There are dozens of factors that will affect the power output.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you post a dyno graph or info? I'd be interested to see the timing and knock count.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

Car pissed all its tranny oil out of the axle seal on the pass. side. Fun. Where do I buy Redline shockproof for cheap?

In my experience, DSM transmissions like BG Synchro Shift II. I buy mine from Road Race. https://www.roadraceengineering.com

Fake edit: Hmm, it seems Road Race switched to all Redline products. http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclfluids.htm

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

Took a deposit on my red car today... Will be sad to see it go but I just don't have the time to work on it like I should.

:smith:

I'm surprised someone wants it with the amount of rust under there. Are you happy with the amount?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DreamOn13 posted:

2Gb talons are my favorite of the 2gs. So, :argh:

They are also super rare, especially in silver. Silver 97+ Eclipses are probably the most common DSMs ever made. RIP rare Talon :(

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

Passed inspection today! Thanks Dad!

They complained about the aftermarket steering wheel? Apparently MA has a rule that you have to have an airbag in the car if so originally equipped. MY FREEEEDOM BEING TAKEN :911:

That's pretty standard everywhere. I'm surprised they passed you.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thvwlshvscpd posted:

The darkness sucks though.

I haven't driven mine in 8 years. I started the tear down in 2010 and "the darkness" is part of the reason it's taken 3 years to get it back together again. Trust me, eventually you turn the corner where you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and that makes it all worth it. (basically when you start putting clean shiny parts on the car instead of taking oily broken ones off.)

It'll get better.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just stick to single disc ACT 2600s. Cheap and effective.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic posted:

I haven't had ONE MINUTE of actual enjoyment with this car within the last year. Everything has been constant poo poo since the day I bought it.
This is really, really not worth it.

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm about this loving close to pulling out the Bride + Momo, putting a stock steering wheel in and selling the loving thing.

This sounds like the best plan then.

And it's also why I don't buy clapped out modded cars. Especially not DSMs. I prefer to be the only person to gently caress them up.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

Even if you decide to sell it, won't you have to fix the clutch anyway? With a slipping clutch people are going to lowball the poo poo out of you.

But yeah if you wanna be able to play on track days, might as well get a better car that you don't have to bust your balls on

DSMs can't get much lower.

This is a running and mostly stock, rust free SoCal 98 GSX selling for $3,000obo.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They had to fabricate my '91 SS brake lines too. Hard to believe Evos are now 10 years old in the US.

It's harder to get RRE to send you exhaust parts now. They mostly only assemble and weld exhausts on cars in the shop now due to the crazy number of different turbos, tubular manifolds, o2 housings, cats, etc. It's not like it was 10 years ago when everyone had 2G or Evo 3 exhaust manifolds and SS tubular o2 housings were rare.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the 3" tbe on my Talon bends down at the downpipe and then is nearly perfectly straight until a foot before the muffler where it kinks to the passenger side like 40 degrees.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeyTsi posted:

Just buy a ACT 2600 and move on.

Truth. And has been repeated for months.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeyTsi posted:

Are those canards still on there?

No he ditched the Talon bumper for an Eclipse.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What would inspire a total retard to think, hey, I can gently caress with this incredibly complicated part of the car?

Probably read about it on DSMtuners so it's gotta be legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would you hold the clutch in at lights? I've never done that and I've been driving manual cars for 17 years with nothing but a less taxed left leg to show for it. In fact I've never met anyone who does hold the clutch that long. What's the point?

• Locked thread