Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good luck dude, doesn't sound like fun but I commend you for keeping the car as long as you did and bringing it back to life. Should be a blast to drive when you're done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Maybe I'll just drag the car back to my parents, take a week off work, start working on it at their place like every good DSM'er. gently caress 'em.

Do it. Just take your time and do it right and you'll save a shitload, you would have paid out the rear end in labor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Like I said earlier, I think their way of thinking was that they would have to spend more than what the car was worth in labor to get it where I want it to be.

It kinda makes sense when running a shop, they're just covering their rear end because it always ends up costing more than originally estimated. They were probably worried that halfway through with the car in pieces you'd back out after seeing the labor bill.

Not sure where you live, but have you considered moving into a place where you could work on it? It's nice having a project right outside your door to gently caress with whenever you have the spare time, even if it's just little poo poo here and there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not sockington levels, but drat that's pretty bad :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Eh, one of the advantages of living in FL is no testing. I'll take it.

Roads here suck though :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks good, love the wheels.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Seat needs a good cleaning. Any suggestions on what to clean it with?

Simple green with the nozzle thing pulled out so it foams. Spray it on and let it sit for a bit then scrub it with a damp cloth. That has worked best for any cloth/carpet stains for me. I've cleaned entire seats that way too. If you don't like the smell of the green, use the yellow because it will smell for a bit. Actually, letting the seat air out for a few days before you put it in the car is probably a good idea.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

I also heard woolite works well too? Maybe I'll give the woolite a shot first and then give simple green a go.

Dunno, never tried that but it's worth a shot. Woolite is a gentle cleaner though so I don't suppose it would work well on set in stains, but if the seat is just a little dirty it will probably work fine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It looks 10x better IMO. It's gonna look better than your red Eclipse.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

No, I have a certain love affair with Super Advans. There's something about them that says Mid 90s Japanese tuner-house about them.

Black Watanabes :allears:

First saw them in Japan around 1991 on a maroon AE86 notchback and fell in love.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

Thanks, I'm in Boston proper, but the car lives in Scituate until I get a parking spot in my building. :(

I have a friend that used to live in Scituate, stayed there a few times and it seems like a nice area to live. Living downtown would be pretty loving cool though, I love Boston.

The car looks really good, please say that you aren't putting a wing on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat, sounds like a lovely weekend to wrench on your car. I hate it when that kinda poo poo happens when you're hoping to actually get poo poo done and you end up going backwards and contemplating putting the car on craigslist. Hope you get it worked out dude.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Even if you decide to sell it, won't you have to fix the clutch anyway? With a slipping clutch people are going to lowball the poo poo out of you.

But yeah if you wanna be able to play on track days, might as well get a better car that you don't have to bust your balls on

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

If the rear seal went, then there'd be a lot more dripping under the car. Oil would literally have to go around the flywheel to hit the clutch before it would even come in contact with the clutch discs.

And even then you would see and smell the smoke from the oil burning on the clutch.

A Kia I owned had that problem, and I solved it with a bottle of stop leak :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm ready to do what my friend did and build a whole new harness and chop out all the AC/Emissions/unused junk out of the bay but I still get the heebie geebies about it all...

Do it. It will suck but at least once it's done you'll know you did it right and any issues in the future will be a lot easier to deal with. I'm eventually going to do the same thing to my Miata once I have a DD, I can't wait to rip out the AC and power steering and get some stand alone management with a simplified harness. Less is more :)

• Locked thread