Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The best part was the follow-up rematch they had in Japan. Not wanting to upset anyone this time around, Bobby Flay made sure to fling his cutting board on the floor before getting up and doing his little dance.

Which is somehow better I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ToastyPotato posted:

Edit: Oh jumping on the cutting board thing and screaming raise the roof.

To be fair, if I spent a good part of an hour occasionally getting electrocuted I'd be happy too.

For some reason, there was a puddle over an exposed electrical wire in the kitchen during the taping.

Also I kind of want to see the original American Iron Chef. The one with William Shatner. Just to see how bad it could've been.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

No, you don't. Trust me.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It used to be up on Netflix, but I guess it got taken down already.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I Ozma Myself posted:

I think there's supposed to be a soap-opera-esque element to the original iron chef that is lost in translation here. I mean, all the stuff about the "factions?"

Toshiro Kandagawa and the Kandagawa Faction were the undoubted antagonists of Iron Chef. I mean, sure, it was soap opera-y, but some of those battles were the best battles on Iron Chef. When Toshiro cut all of his hair off and came back serious as all hell, you knew poo poo was gonna go down. It was almost like a culinary wrestling show whenever he featured.

Speaking of which, is there a place to view the old Iron Chef episodes? Last I heard, they were having some sort of trouble keeping the rights to the Backdraft music and Food Network lost the rights to show it or something.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Robert Irvine is going to be on next week's episode of Body of Proof (aka Dana Delany, M.E.). The thing is... he's not playing himself, he's acting. I guess pretending you're a big-time chef from England and probably faking a lot of Restaurant Impossible (which, regardless, is a show I enjoy) would give you some preparation for that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Robert Irvine is going to be on next week's episode of Body of Proof (aka Dana Delany, M.E.). The thing is... he's not playing himself, he's acting. I guess pretending you're a big-time chef from England and probably faking a lot of Restaurant Impossible (which, regardless, is a show I enjoy) would give you some preparation for that.

He's already good at playing Robert Irvine, chef to the Presidents.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Vanderdeath posted:

Toshiro Kandagawa and the Kandagawa Faction were the undoubted antagonists of Iron Chef. I mean, sure, it was soap opera-y, but some of those battles were the best battles on Iron Chef. When Toshiro cut all of his hair off and came back serious as all hell, you knew poo poo was gonna go down. It was almost like a culinary wrestling show whenever he featured.

Speaking of which, is there a place to view the old Iron Chef episodes? Last I heard, they were having some sort of trouble keeping the rights to the Backdraft music and Food Network lost the rights to show it or something.

That was absolutely my favorite part of the show. The fact there were literally factions that tried to take down the Iron Chefs. The one I remember most was the Outa faction when they'd come in with their huge banners and just stand there all quiet the whole time. Just trying to beat that upstart Morimoto.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ToastyPotato posted:

They are also give a list of possible secret ingredients.

Yup. Prior to taping they're given three possible ingredients. They then provide a grocery shopping list based on each ingredient. They don't know which ingredient has been picked until it's unveiled, but they can usually tell what it is by the other food that's in the kitchen (from their shopping list).

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

Cooking Network has them, I think- I don't make a habit of watching anymore because I've seen every episode so many times I can almost recite the commentary as it goes along.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

Vanderdeath posted:

http://filehouse.ironcheffans.info/index.php

It's not a complete listing of all the episodes, but it has quite a few up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Timby posted:

Yup. Prior to taping they're given three possible ingredients. They then provide a grocery shopping list based on each ingredient. They don't know which ingredient has been picked until it's unveiled, but they can usually tell what it is by the other food that's in the kitchen (from their shopping list).

They also do the reveal of the ingredients a couple times, I don't remember why anymore, but it was all covered in that behind the scenes special they made once (where they explained that the chefs get 15 minutes after time is called to plate enough food for the whole judging table).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

They also do the reveal of the ingredients a couple times, I don't remember why anymore, but it was all covered in that behind the scenes special they made once (where they explained that the chefs get 15 minutes after time is called to plate enough food for the whole judging table).

Oh man, I forgot that part.

I really wonder if the original Iron Chef had that much hand-holding. It really didn't feel like it, but it might have just been better edited (and also didn't have a behind-the-scenes special revealing how everyone was a big pussy). At the very least, the handling and preparation of ingredients was definitely more hardcore.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Jamesman posted:

Oh man, I forgot that part.

I really wonder if the original Iron Chef had that much hand-holding. It really didn't feel like it, but it might have just been better edited (and also didn't have a behind-the-scenes special revealing how everyone was a big pussy). At the very least, the handling and preparation of ingredients was definitely more hardcore.

I would like to think that it didn't. I never tire of the episode where they have to cook with yogurt and Chen Kenichi's expression at the announcement of the secret ingredient was one of confusion and dismay.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've never really liked Iron Chef all that much because you get such small glimpses of what each chef is doing that it's hard to tell what the hell they're making. That's why I like Chopped: I can see each contestant make a dish from beginning to end (for the most part). Even if the editing is godawful.

I dunno if I said this in this thread already, but this last week's Chopped was pretty awesome. A lot of the time the winner is just some cocky douche who will become even more of a cocky douche, but you could tell that this was really a turning point for the dude this week. His entree looked incredible; I don't think I've ever seen the judges that blown away before.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Vanderdeath posted:

I would like to think that it didn't. I never tire of the episode where they have to cook with yogurt and Chen Kenichi's expression at the announcement of the secret ingredient was one of confusion and dismay.

I remember that. :allears:

Is there any sort of Iron Chef boxset I can buy?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Declan MacManus posted:

I remember that. :allears:

Is there any sort of Iron Chef boxset I can buy?

I think the music rights issue has bogged down any DVDs. I watched some of the episodes on the Cooking Network and honestly, a lot of the show's soul was the bombastic Backdraft score backing a cooking show. It lost a lot of that with the new songs which are about as generic as generic can get.

Edit: What I'm saying is that Iron Chef just isn't Iron Chef without its main theme.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 4, 2011

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Words cannot express the level of annoyance that I feel with music rights issues on TV shows and rebroadcasting. It's so petty and I really wish that TV shows would make a point by just flat out refusing to pay for any music licenses until they can get reasonable deals that allow for rebroadcasting and redistribution in the video market.

"Why yes, I will sell you right to use my song for years on your television show! What? You want to put your show on DVD now? gently caress YOU. I don't want people hearing my poo poo! gently caress YOU Pay me more!"

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

ToastyPotato posted:

Words cannot express the level of annoyance that I feel with music rights issues on TV shows and rebroadcasting. It's so petty and I really wish that TV shows would make a point by just flat out refusing to pay for any music licenses until they can get reasonable deals that allow for rebroadcasting and redistribution in the video market.

"Why yes, I will sell you right to use my song for years on your television show! What? You want to put your show on DVD now? gently caress YOU. I don't want people hearing my poo poo! gently caress YOU Pay me more!"

One of the issues is that since Iron Chef is a Japanese show, the prices for the rights to the Backdraft soundtrack were probably drastically lower than they would be in the States. As you said, the DVD issue will probably never get resolved. The soundtrack is distributed by the Warner Music Group here in America and WMG is notorious for trying to milk blood from a turnip. It's such a shame because I would pay a bit of money for a complete boxset of Iron Chef in its original glory.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

I Ozma Myself posted:

Plagiarizing, I don't think so- cribbing a majority of his notes from there, yes.

I don't think you can really blame him for it, either. I mean, the science is the science and McGee was instrumental in taking a bunch of stuff we've learned over the centuries, mostly by trial and error, about cooking and food preparation, and organizing and expanding on it from a scientific point of view. His work is seminal and there really isn't a way around it. It's not like Alton is presenting all this stuff as if it's his own original research, and he has acknowledged McGee's influence on several occasions.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ToastyPotato posted:

Words cannot express the level of annoyance that I feel with music rights issues on TV shows and rebroadcasting.

It's like the big fiasco with the music on the Daria DVDs.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I dunno if I said this in this thread already, but this last week's Chopped was pretty awesome. A lot of the time the winner is just some cocky douche who will become even more of a cocky douche, but you could tell that this was really a turning point for the dude this week. His entree looked incredible; I don't think I've ever seen the judges that blown away before.
Totally agreed. And it was also a pretty close call at the end between him and the other finalist, which made it more interesting than some other episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's like the big fiasco with the music on the Daria DVDs.
It's also keeping The Wonder Years from ever getting a DVD release. Oddly though, both Amazon and Netflix are streaming the show now, but several songs (including the main theme song) had to be replaced to avoid the issues.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I've never really liked Iron Chef all that much because you get such small glimpses of what each chef is doing that it's hard to tell what the hell they're making. That's why I like Chopped: I can see each contestant make a dish from beginning to end (for the most part). Even if the editing is godawful.

They deserve to get some great food to taste to make up for the school cafeteria worker episode a week or so ago. I have loads of respect for anyone who tries to make kids' meals healthy and tasty, but those poor ladies were just so out of place and the judges were trying so hard to be nice about some terrible dishes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Limbo posted:

They deserve to get some great food to taste to make up for the school cafeteria worker episode a week or so ago. I have loads of respect for anyone who tries to make kids' meals healthy and tasty, but those poor ladies were just so out of place and the judges were trying so hard to be nice about some terrible dishes.
Yeah, I didn't like that episode either, if for no other reason that it felt like a special episode where the competition didn't matter much. I was also getting tired of that White House chef doing all the talking.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's also keeping The Wonder Years from ever getting a DVD release. Oddly though, both Amazon and Netflix are streaming the show now, but several songs (including the main theme song) had to be replaced to avoid the issues.

While they obviously couldn't anticipate the specific technology we'd be using today, with the Wonder Years I am kind of amused that there would be surprise about it.

"Using this Beatles song will never, ever cause problems for us."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Daria, Wonder Years, Beavis and Butthead. It also forced changes on the DVD releases of How I Met Your Mother by having songs removed. It's petty and indicative of everything wrong with the music industry.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's more that nobody anticipated ever using tv shows as anything other than broadcast, so the blanket broadcast licensing deals from BMI/ASCAP/whoever were thought to be all they would ever need. Now, how the people making modern shows like HIMYM hosed the dog on this, I don't know, but The Wonder Years/Daria/etc there's no way they could have known DVD would come along and create a huge market like it did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

but The Wonder Years/Daria/etc there's no way they could have known DVD would come along and create a huge market like it did.

Bingo. At the time, television on VHS was so prohibitively expensive that no one could have ever thought there would have been technology down the road that would make full-series collections not only possible, but relatively inexpensive.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

It's more that nobody anticipated ever using tv shows as anything other than broadcast, so the blanket broadcast licensing deals from BMI/ASCAP/whoever were thought to be all they would ever need. Now, how the people making modern shows like HIMYM hosed the dog on this, I don't know, but The Wonder Years/Daria/etc there's no way they could have known DVD would come along and create a huge market like it did.

I can understand that but my issue is that they kind of already agreed to let some company make money using their work. I don't see why there can't be a small amendment made to the deal that allows some tiny piece of additional compensation for the music, especially when in the case of something like The Wonder Years or HIMYM, they have no problems allowing rebroadcasts in syndication. The program is still making money off of the music this way! So why does it matter what format the show is distributed in? It's stupid nickel and diming from the music industry.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I keep thinking that they're trying to manufacture drama between Alex G/Elizabeth Faulkner on Next Iron Chef, but Alex's constant grimaces aimed right at Elizabeth call that into question.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jamesman posted:

I used to really like Food Network, but it's just gotten so unbearably awful within the past year or two. I blame it on the cancellation of Ace of Cakes.

Cancelling that pile of poo poo could only have made the channel better.

Timeless Appeal posted:

What I've heard is that Bourdain is a very nice guy, but really awkward.

I like Restaurant Impossible because Robert Irvine is insane, and I like the interior decorating component to things. I also love the text that they have at the end of the episode telling you what ended up happening to the restaurant. It's alway so vague that I assume the restaurants don't exactly do well once he leaves.

Robert Irvine wants to be Gordon Ramsay so bad it's embarrassing to watch.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 5, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I have not yet given up on my vow to run Duff over if I see him crossing the street.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Keep hope alive. I knew those lovely cake challenge shows were a sham when they had that talentless fucker on one of them, and his horribly done cake sculpture of what was supposed to be the inner harbor won out over other people with a scrap of talent.

I Ozma Myself posted:

While they obviously couldn't anticipate the specific technology we'd be using today, with the Wonder Years I am kind of amused that there would be surprise about it.

"Using this Beatles song will never, ever cause problems for us."

The Joe Cocker cover of a Beatles song, to be exact. But although we can't imagine not having home video sets of our favorite TV shows, that was an age where networks sometimes didn't even keep copies of their shows, let alone produce them with the intent of releasing on home video.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 5, 2011

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
The thing I don't understand about cake challenges is that those cakes taste like absolute poo poo. It's just fondant icing and stale cake cut by a hacksaw. Why not just get a normal cake and hire your local, underemployed sculptor? Cake shows make no sense. If someone got me a big fancy cake that tasted like crap I would be mad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

physeter posted:

The thing I don't understand about cake challenges is that those cakes taste like absolute poo poo. It's just fondant icing and stale cake cut by a hacksaw. Why not just get a normal cake and hire your local, underemployed sculptor? Cake shows make no sense. If someone got me a big fancy cake that tasted like crap I would be mad.

My understanding is that when people order one of those dumbassed cake sculptures the company brings a second regular old sheet cake which is the one you actually eat.

Which is still ridiculous.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Vanderdeath posted:

I don't know if this list is complete, but I find this pretty useful:

http://www.youtube.com/user/archo89

Parachute
May 18, 2003

raditts posted:

Robert Irvine wants to be Gordon Ramsay so bad it's embarrassing to watch.

Agreed on both of these counts. I think the FOOD Network trying to push a show (Ace of Cakes) that's about 100% aesthetics and 0% taste. Granted, tons of shows do this as a way to try to focus on the "characters" of a business, who in this case, are the most boring group of milquetoasts to ever walk the planet. I'm surprised Geof doesn't fall asleep when making his creations.

Also, the only really awesome episode was when they baked a cake for the band Clutch. On a similar note, I really wish I could find the full episode of No Reservations where Tony had Christmas dinner with Queens of the Stone Age.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Parachute posted:

Granted, tons of shows do this as a way to try to focus on the "characters" of a business, who in this case, are the most boring group of milquetoasts to ever walk the planet. I'm surprised Geof doesn't fall asleep when making his creations.
I'm usually pretty critical of what I do for a living (lawyer). I look around and see people with jobs that actually matter in some way. Like roofers or mechanics. I push paper around and yell for a living, so I know that when the apocalypse comes I'll be left to starve because I have no real skills beyond these. That's why Ace of Cakes always made me feel better about myself because it was a gang of people even more useless than me. A) it's cake, b) it's not even meant to be eaten, and c) if it is eaten, no one enjoys it. If Duff et al. ever had any appreciation for their uselessness, they never showed it. Making those cakes ironically might have found them some small redemption, but no.

If I worked at Charm City Cakes I'd skip over feeling occasionally useless and skip straight to hanging myself from the nearest cieling fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

physeter posted:

IRQ posted:

My understanding is that when people order one of those dumbassed cake sculptures the company brings a second regular old sheet cake which is the one you actually eat.

Which is still ridiculous.

My girlfriend is owner and decorator of a wedding cake shop, and she specializes in huge sculpted cakes. I can't really speak for all shops around the globe, but she makes sure that she had a talented baker who makes good tasting stuff and has enough creative outlet to make new and unique flavors. She even has tastings in her consultations, so the brides or grooms or clients know what they're getting. For example, her carrot cake tastes awesome but has good but not perfect consistency for sculpting. She could make it "better" for sculpting, but the taste is more important. The fondant she uses is also really tasty.

She's been on a Food Network Cake Challenge a few times, and they bake it slightly differently for that. The cake has to survive extreme transport, being frozen, being under studio lights, etc. It's the same recipe I guess but over baked or something. I know is the stuff they make for Challenge is not intended to be eaten so they run with that and make it as easy to sculpt as possible.

E: Yes, the big sculpted cake gets eaten. I've never seen her do a second "edible" cake.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 5, 2011

• Locked thread