Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

axleblaze posted:

I honestly think FN wants Irvine to be Ramsey far more than Irvine actually wants to be Ramsey.

I think so, too.

I really dislike Irvine and don't like watching him, but I think they're the ones who are trying to turn him into Ramsey. Though I'm sure Irvine is responsible for his own godawful designer jeans that make him look like the nerdy kid at school the first day back after Christmas.

I'm going to turn it around this spring with the new outfits gramma gave me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Both chefs on Chef Hunter always seem to be terrible.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Here's a funny clip from the Nick Dipaolo and Artie Lange radio show where they watch Giada's show.

http://media.nickandartie.com/wp-content/uploads/audio/11.14.11-Hour-3-Nick-and-Arties-play-by-play-of-Giada-cooking-from-Food-Network.mp3

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

smackfu posted:

Both chefs on Chef Hunter always seem to be terrible.

One of them ended up on this season of Top Chef, actually. (though it appears Chef Hunter was done before it)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Look out, Alton Brown means business

http://t.co/ALYL2zH7

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ElwoodCuse posted:

Look out, Alton Brown means business

http://t.co/ALYL2zH7

This actually fits in incredibly well with my knowledge of Alton.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looks like a multi-tasker to me with all the poo poo he's got attached to it.

But Alton Brown never could figure out what uni and multi meant if you went by his show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yoshifan823 posted:

This actually fits in incredibly well with my knowledge of Alton.

It does. He's a pretty chill guy, but he's a born-again Christian of the southern Baptist variety and is conservative as hell.

That being said, he didn't have his recent Twitter freakout because he's a weirdo -- it happened because someone created a Twitter account under his wife's name, and started tweeting and responding to tweets as though it were actually DeAnna Brown. That really threw him for a loop ... he doesn't quite "get" just how weird the Internet is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All this talk of AB reminds me that the FN hate thread wasn't up when he posted his Fanifesto so we as a thread never got to revel in what an rear end he can be.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

angerbeet posted:

Food Jammers is kind of funny in a "stoned guys make stoner things" way, but the real FNC gem is The Wild Chef, with the guy from Au Pied du Cochon.
YES. He's hysterical and one hell of a chef to boot - friends who have gone to Au Pied De Cochon rave about it much as my avatar does.

I find Food Jammers to be excruciatingly dull in the few times I've watched in every capacity - the way it's shot, the end product, and the personalities involved.

And yes, Cupcake wars. An hour long competitive show about making dozens of identical cupcakes.

An. Hour. Long.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

axleblaze posted:

All this talk of AB reminds me that the FN hate thread wasn't up when he posted his Fanifesto so we as a thread never got to revel in what an rear end he can be.
While I appreciate what he does, I'm not a huge AB fan - but I actually find very little objectionable in that.

...except for bitching about the wait for cellphone pics. I had to scroll up to see year this was written in.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

IRQ posted:

Looks like a multi-tasker to me with all the poo poo he's got attached to it.

But Alton Brown never could figure out what uni and multi meant if you went by his show.

Alton Brown
@altonbrown Alton Brown
I was wrong. It shreds and blends and purees and prodigiously perforates.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

While I appreciate what he does, I'm not a huge AB fan - but I actually find very little objectionable in that.

...except for bitching about the wait for cellphone pics. I had to scroll up to see year this was written in.

Yea aside from some generic oldmanisms I don't see the issue?

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea aside from some generic oldmanisms I don't see the issue?

It gets a little wordy at times, which is Alton's style, but it really boils down to common sense stuff- "If you respect me, I'll respect you, everyone is happy, and if you mess with my family, I'm going to end you."

And really, I can understand where he's coming from- if I ever reach a level of celebrity where people are asking me for an autograph or a picture while I'm in the men's room, I would find that disturbing on about 15 different levels.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I don't know why the internet flipped out over his "rules". When I saw him on that book tour he was super polite to everyone and stayed for every last person to meet him.

Excession
Dec 18, 2004
Not a fan of the Nealys. I find them to be a bit much with all their sexy talk.

My favorite would have to be the new girl Aarti Sequeira of "Aarti Party". I've just started to learn how great Indian food is and watching her make the food makes me smile all the time, she is just so cute.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
It's my impression from watching both scripted and nominally unscripted TV and from first-hand and trusted second-hand accounts of personal encounters, AB went pervasively, low-grade crazy a few years back, at around the time he got so thin. I'm unwilling to guess as to whether his extreme change in diet (eats only ~5 food at all, all the time, has resigned himself to never tasting ice cream again) is a symptom or cause, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Excession posted:

Not a fan of the Nealys. I find them to be a bit much with all their sexy talk.

They're just cloying with how lovey dovey they are. I get that that's what they're going for, but it gets grating. Also I really can't remember anything I've ever seen on that show looking good enough to bother with making.

Test Pattern posted:

It's my impression from watching both scripted and nominally unscripted TV and from first-hand and trusted second-hand accounts of personal encounters, AB went pervasively, low-grade crazy a few years back, at around the time he got so thin. I'm unwilling to guess as to whether his extreme change in diet (eats only ~5 food at all, all the time, has resigned himself to never tasting ice cream again) is a symptom or cause, though.

He always seemed a bit crackers to me. At least a little OCD even back since the beginning.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Kwik posted:

It gets a little wordy at times, which is Alton's style, but it really boils down to common sense stuff- "If you respect me, I'll respect you, everyone is happy, and if you mess with my family, I'm going to end you."

And really, I can understand where he's coming from- if I ever reach a level of celebrity where people are asking me for an autograph or a picture while I'm in the men's room, I would find that disturbing on about 15 different levels.

Right but at the same time crazy is crazy and the kind of people who do that aren't going to stop because you wrote up some manifesto on the internet, and phrasing it in that way isn't going to endear yourself to all the normal people who do enjoy it.

He's been super controlling about what he puts out there for years though, it's not really a new thing. Five or six years ago he had a blog with comments on altonbrown.com but took it down and had a freak out because guess what, on the internet sometimes people post bad things. He's quit twitter three times already I think, once because people were saving his tweets when he was deleting them after a few hours because he didn't want them staying out there forever, once when someone created the account made to look like his wife and again I think when he just got annoyed at people trolling him.

He doesn't seem to be able to filter out the people who don't like him like pretty much every other celebrity and concentrate on the people who do actually like him, he instead either takes his ball and goes home, or spends all his time interacting with the haters. Recently he spent a whole week just retweeting people criticising him. Why?

He puts all his effort into trying to control the people he doesn't like without realising he can't, instead of putting that to the use of really interacting with actual fans.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Retweeting people that criticize you is A Thing, lots of people do it. The best is probably Colin Quinn.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Retweeting people that criticize you is A Thing, lots of people do it. The best is probably Colin Quinn.

Colin Quinn twittering at people who criticize him? How does he find the time to sleep?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ElwoodCuse posted:

For a comedian maybe or a guy who makes a career being 'that guy'. Other celebrities do it once in a while, but it's just way out of proportion with Alton Brown. His self declared mission is to educate people about food, and instead his twitter is often nothing but 'rt: I hate @altonbrown he's so smug and arrogant!!!1' He could be posting about food and tips and retweeting people actually posting about cooking stuff.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

He puts all his effort into trying to control the people he doesn't like without realising he can't, instead of putting that to the use of really interacting with actual fans.
Exactly. It's not that the list itself is so insane (it's not), but rather that he put effort into saying it when anyone with an ounce of decency pretty much knows how to handle it. The people who won't are not going to loving care, and it just seems strange to put that much effort into it. Even if it's well intentioned, it still seems alienating.

I don't know if Brown actually did go round the bend or if it just happened that his name became big enough that people noticed he wasn't all there but he certainly seems obnoxious. Was he born again or has he always been quite religious?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's like now he's double mad at you, because you are being an rear end AND didn't follow the list.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

osukeith161 posted:

I completely thought the fix was in for a female Next Iron Chef, but was okay with it because Anne has competed in kitchen stadium a lot already with Mario, is an adept chef, and would make a good one. (She gets booted.) gently caress that poo poo. I am Zakarian or bust at this point, with Chiarello, Falkner, and Butterball in order of tolerable.

I'd have been most happy with Burrell winnning it. Zakarian can die in a fire for the whole backruptcy to gently caress over the workers he ripped off thing. Chiraello I don't particularly care about either way but he is a bit of a smug bastard. Guarnachelli seems like the person least suited to being an Iron Chef ever, she has panicked and been all over the place in just about every challenge. I guess Falkner is the one left who I'd be happiest about winning, it would be nice to have another female chef amongst the Iron Chefs and at least she offers something a bit different with a bit more of a pastry bent, but can still cook 'regular'.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I really wanted Burrell to win it, but I'll settle for Faulkner. I'm not a huge fan of her; she implodes quickly and her nervous laugh is grating but at this point she's a better option than the others unless I'm forgetting someone great.

Alex G will probably win. White-hair (can't spell his name, I suck) never listens to judges, Chiarello will implode last minute, Alex G will squeak through with a nervous titter and dagger stares at everyone else.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
I do not want to see Alex G waddle around kitchen stadium for an hour. The last episode was so contrived, she got this HUGE advantage but OH NO IT BACKFIRED!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Why do people like Anne Burrell? I cannot stand her even the slightest bit. Her food, her look, and her personality are all being annoying and I despise her being on my TV.

Oh and this Monday there's a new Diners Drive-Ins and Dives with Kid Rock on it. Guy Fieri gravitates towards to worst kind of people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Why do people like Anne Burrell? I cannot stand her even the slightest bit. Her food, her look, and her personality are all being annoying and I despise her being on my TV.

Burrell gets HUGE bonus points for being a Batali disciple. Related to that her food usually looks really really good.

quote:

Oh and this Monday there's a new Diners Drive-Ins and Dives with Kid Rock on it. Guy Fieri gravitates towards to worst kind of people.

Guy is the worst kind of people.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I'm just saying this now, if he ends up having smushmouth guest star on a ep where he goes to some place they eat eggs, and smushmuff eats more eggs then that he did for us, I'm not saying on a murder spree, but the odds are high.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

axleblaze posted:

Guy is the worst kind of people.

Birds of a feather grow soul patches together.

Only the worst kind of person would think to combine Japanese cuisine and Tex-Mex.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jamesman posted:

She's fairly annoying but still has endearing qualities, and I think she can actually cook from what I've seen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jamesman posted:

That growl thing she does with her voice sometimes is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I also never saw much redeeming about her cooking, but I do realize I just admitted I can't watch her for more than 5 minutes.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Her hair is ridiculous and retarded but other than that she's OK.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I Ozma Myself posted:

Was he born again or has he always been quite religious?

A while back, I read a local Atlanta newspaper interview with Brown and he said that he became born again sometime in the early Aughts. This was before he got really, really popular, so he didn't come across as anything other than affable and friendly in the interview.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Parachute posted:

Which personalities on these channels do you guys actually like?

I really love Patrick & Gina Neely. Granted, they are married so the chemistry should be there, but whenever I catch their show I can't help but feel like they not only truly love cooking/eating, but genuinely love just being around each other.

Ugh. I dislike them because it feels like you a third wheel on their date whenever you're watching them. Really awkward and odd feeling. It's like seeing two people give way too much public display of affection.

I'm also in the camp that was really hoping for Burrell to win it all and have pretty much stopped giving a poo poo since she lost. gently caress that show now. It's not that she is a great cook and her look is pretty much the female Guy, but she has the chops to actually work in kitchen stadium and Alex's on screen resume is being a judge on Chopped for fucks sake.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think at this point I think we can all pretty much agree that the fact that the best man won the first Next Iron Chef was a fluke.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Nadia G Holiday special last night was just...bonkers. That musical at the end---an army of nipples and minor-major network personalities. I half expected Robert Irvine to Hulk-bust out of a giant snowman at the time, but alas.

I thought the little fried mini-calzone things looked tasty though, so I can probably forgive any strangeness as per usual.

Elliot Rosewater
Feb 15, 2005
Squee!

Jack Skeleton posted:

Ugh. I dislike them because it feels like you a third wheel on their date whenever you're watching them. Really awkward and odd feeling. It's like seeing two people give way too much public display of affection.

This is what I was feeling but didn't have words for.

quote:

Alex's on screen resume is being a judge on Chopped for fucks sake.

Alex also has a show on at 7am on Saturday mornings that I don't think anyone watches, making it weird that she's in that ad with Bobby Flay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3452459

Cross posting my thread from GWS because its related.

We did an all-AB Thanksgiving on Black Friday. Every recipe turned out awesome (almost all of his do for me, and I've probably done at least half of them).

• Locked thread