Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The unofficial rule of the topic is Alton Brown is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I Ozma Myself posted:

Actually? I've never had a recipe of his work out when I've tried it.
But I still enjoy watching Good Eats here and there.

I just tonight made his Baked Mac and Cheese, which I've used multiple times before, and it is always delicious. I also cook my steaks the Alton Brown way (Cast iron, 30 second sear on each side, 2 minute bake on each side, let it sit for 15 minutes and not a minute less, no seasoning other than salt and pepper).

Even if the recipes don't work, you learn so drat much about food and science just watching it. And Alton legitimately cares about food and teaching people about cooking. I saw him speak a few months ago (and got a book signed!), and he's very opinionated (and I don't always agree with him).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Declan MacManus posted:

I love Anthony Bourdain, even though he strikes me as (possibly) a tremendous rear end in a top hat. I'd love to spend a day with him, though, because he's a fascinating person who's been to fascinating places.

I'd never cook for him, though. :ohdear:

I also don't understand how someone who seems as knowledgeable as Alton Brown would be against molecular gastronomy. It's the science of food, what could be cooler than that?

Also, besides the Food Network, Cooking Channel, and (occasionally) Travel Channel, what networks devote a large portion of their airtime to the culinary arts?

I imagine Bourdain would be a cool guy to get a drink with, but only if you're his kind of guy. There are plenty of people he doesn't like, and makes that pretty clear.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

What temps does he use for the baking? That recipe is pretty similar to what I was doing on my own, aside from the 15 minute rest. Holy poo poo, I thought the few minute rest I was giving it was unbearable sometimes. How is 15 minutes not giving you a lukewarm steak?

Set the oven to 500, leave the cast iron in there while it's heating up, and then leave the oven there. 15 minute might be an exaggeration, but if you keep it in tin foil it doesn't get that cold.

anotherone posted:

I think he's just not that comfortable being a celebrity and he deals with it with a sort of mean sense of humor. My wife and I saw him speak a few years ago and he made a lot of jokes at the expense of people asking questions. I thought it was hilarious but I could definitely see someone with a different sense of humor finding it abrasive.

I wish I remembered some of the stuff he said, some woman started her question with "I'm a vegan" and he pretty much just tore into her for 5 minutes. Again, it was really funny, and I'm sure he was just teasing her (and the woman asking the question was laughing) but it was a different tone than his show.

After the Q&A he signed books for every single person who came to see him (must have been 500 or more) so it's hard to quantify that with the idea that he's a jerk.

Yeah, when I saw him talk, he definitely has a slight mean streak about him, he would definitely be right at home in a comedy club. He was very nice about signing books, and a young girl (maybe 11 years old) brought him a box of his favorite cereal (I think it was Captain Crunch), and he was very appreciative. I heard he got a lot of pies too. The few moments he talked about politics (and he wasn't really eager to do so in the first place, but was asked a few dumb questions) painted him as a conservative, which honestly didn't bother me too much, but I got the feeling that if I actually had an extended conversation with him, I don't know how long it would last. I think Bourdain is much closer to what I think in terms of both food and things in general, and I'd love to have a chat/drink with him.

(I was in my baking class that day, and the head of the culinary program came in with a pie for him just in case he stopped by, but he didn't. I asked him about the school when I got my book signed, he said he was too tired, which I get, because I think he got in that day)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ElwoodCuse posted:

Look out, Alton Brown means business

http://t.co/ALYL2zH7

This actually fits in incredibly well with my knowledge of Alton.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just reminded myself of the single best episode of any food-related show ever, No Reservations' Technique special. It's basically a bunch of motherfucking fantastic chefs teaching you how to do some of the most basic and fantastic dishes that you need to know. Tony shows you how to use a knife and how to make Boeuf Bourguignon, Dave Pasternack picks out and cooks a lobster, Jacques Pepin makes the perfect omelet, Carlos Llaguno (Head Chef at Les Halles, Bourdain's old workplace) grills a steak and makes some fries, Laurent Tourondel makes a delicious looking burger, Thomas Keller roasts a chicken (it's so loving easy!), and Scott Conant makes a red sauce. Those names are a million times better than just about anyone who has ever cooked on the Food Network, and it's all the basic stuff that you'll be able to use forever.

(I'm roasting a chicken this week, which is why I dug the episode out of cold storage, and now I'm making burgers too)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toffile posted:

Looks like it yeah.

Oh hey, the promo has Alex G. calling Coolio "a crime against cooking".

The contestants appear to be:
Joey Fatone
Cheech Marin
Aaron Carter
Lou Diamond Phillips
Coolio
Summer Sanders
Alyssa Campanell
Taylor Dayne

Between Joey from N'Sync and Aaron Carter, it's like my musical taste from the late 90's is coming back to haunt me.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, last episode of Next Iron Chef time.

Go Faulkner, kick that rear end in a top hat Zakarian's face up and down Kitchen Stadium.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ketchup is disgusting and you all should be ashamed of yourselves. Good mustard, caramelized onions. That is what goes on hot dogs. Unless you are eating a Chicago dog. Chicagoans know their hot dogs, which I wish I could say about pizza, because NY pizza kicks Chicago pizza's rear end.

(exception made for homemade ketchup)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bonzo posted:

Some brave soul is doing a "Jules and Julia" with one of Guy Feri's cookbooks.

http://gwyneddandguyproject.tumblr.com/

Her name looks like someone smashed their hands on a keyboard. "gwynedd"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

osukeith161 posted:

This is the thread where I get to question the sanity of Cooking Channel (Since it is FN)? What in the hell is up with "The Cullinary Adventures of Baron Ambrosia?" I was watching a DVRd show, got distracted, and noticed that commercial was on. Wow.

I hate Nadia's shtick, but at least she appears (I have never watched more than a few minutes of it) to be a cooking show. This looked like every other "let's have a host go to a restaurant and jizz over whatever they serve and act like it is the best thing ever" but wrapped up in a cheesy-pimp-suit host who pretends to solve mysteries? Or something?

I know what kind of mushrooms they grow at that the Corporate Office, and they are not shiitake.

I like to pretend it's a parody of Guy Fieri.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bourdain is getting roasted, and the guest list is gonna be amazing. They got Sarah Silverman and Gilbert Gottfried, but that's not the exciting part. Guy Fieri and Rachael Ray are gonna be there as well. I can't believe they agreed.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda surprised Bourdain is hosting a reality show. That seems a little too Hollywood for him.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Red Warrior posted:

Speaking of people who seem quite nice on Food Network but seem to turn a bit dickish the more you dig, Alton Brown is the guest on the most recent Nerdist podcast with Chris Hardwick.
http://www.nerdist.com/2012/08/nerdist-podcast-alton-brown/

And you know what, it's vintage Alton Brown, he's funny and charming, no sign of the weird Twitter Alton Brown.

He talks about the history/creation of Good Eats, Iron Chef America (he was offered the chairman role or commentator, he also says a chef once tried to bring in marijuana to use), and teases a Mythbusters appearance, it's actually really worth a listen. He even drops an f-bomb which I never expected to hear out of his mouth.

You know, without this podcast, I would never know that Alton Brown once made butter out of breast milk.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Conduit for Sale! posted:

That's awesome, thanks for mentioning this. I don't really like Nerdist anymore but I definitely want to hear everything Alton Brown has to say about anything (except religion).

And politics. I saw him speak when he was in Iowa, and it was right around the time caucus chat was heating up, so someone inevitably asked him about politics, and he's very libertarian/right wing. He's not overly obnoxious about it, and I don't knock the guy for having those beliefs, but I just don't want to hear it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Thought the thread would enjoy this: http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/10/anthony-bourdain-roast.html

"Look at all these wonderful chefs... and Rachael Ray. Rachael doesn’t measure any of her ingredients in the kitchen. She just 'guesstimates,' although, to be fair, that orange powder in the Kraft macaroni and cheese box is already measured, so it’s really not that impressive. Rachael Ray is the only person on this stage who can make homemade bread using nothing but store-bought bread. It’s a gift". —Ted Allen

I never knew Ted Allen was so ice-loving-cold. I mean, "Guy, I remember the first time I met you, you taught me how to pronounce your name correctly. Just fit the word 'fi' and 'airy,' because no one is more concerned about Italian authenticity than the motherfucker who created Johnny Garlic’s."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrushedWill posted:

Bourdain is a grade A douche bag as well. He has been openly critical of chefs that put celebrity over cooking, yet he has a media empire which includes books and TV shows. He recently bailed from Travel Network to try and get an even bigger presence on CNN. He is becoming what he previously despised.

As much as I dislike Tony, he does have a point when he calls out Food Network personalities for not being able to cook. I share your intense dislike of all things Guy Fieri. He's a walking cartoon, one that appears to have mediocre cooking technique while having enough personality to persuade others of perceived value.

To be fair to Tony, the books are his own writing, and he's been an author for a lot longer than he's been famous, and the move to CNN isn't to get a higher profile, it's because Scripps (Owners of Food Network) bought Travel Channel, so it's pretty consistent with everything he talks about to want to get out of there. I'd hardly say the guy has a "media empire" compared to the likes of Rachael Ray or Guy, he just does what he loves (writing, travelling, eating), and is a compelling enough person that people want to pay him to do those things.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I like Bonnie McFarlane but I'm not sure what she or any of the other comedians were doing there. Surely there's enough people from the cooking world that would love to take shots at Bourdain.

Yeah, all of the comedian quotes in there were lame typical roast jokes. The ones from the food people were so much more personal, which means they were way funnier.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would like all of you to know that I am at a dinner party in Disney World, Robert Irvine is here, and when I met him I restrained myself from asking him how cooking for the president was, because the Internet has not completely tainted me yet.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Y Kant Ozma Boo posted:

Tell us more about this dinner party when you get home and are no longer the nerd posting from a dinner party! ;)

Well, right now it's Disney's Food and Wine Festival at Epcot, which means they put a bunch of tiny food booths all around the World Showcase each from a different country (and not just the countries in the Showcase, they have places like Singapore, Ireland, Hawaii, and lots of beer, wine, and liquor everywhere), and this lasts for a couple of months. During this time they bring in chefs from all over the country to do cooking demonstrations for small crowds, and they bring in some pretty big names. Irvine is one, Andrew Zimmern, Gale Gand, one of the Voltaggios, and my personal favorites, the Hearty Boys. On some Saturdays, they host a Party for the Senses, which you pay a butt-load of money to get into, but they have a combination of chefs that did demonstrations that week, and chefs from around the Resort come and make really fancy food, and lots of wineries come in to give out their wine, and they had the Cirque du Soleil people from Downtown Disney come in and do a few little bits, and it's all very fun. My family managed to snag a table next to a distillery that brought great margaritas made with "moonshine whiskey", which I was enjoying all night.

Basically Disney World is awesome and a couple months a year you can go there and get schwasted on delicious food and drink, but you're probably gonna pay out the rear end for it (my parents have a Disney Visa, which means every dollar we spend means a fraction of a cent more to spend in Disney World. My mom is just a wee bit obsessed, but there are no complaints here).

edit: This was posted from the safety of a laptop in my swanky DVC hotel suite, not from the dinner party. I just had to share my Irvine Encounter with y'all stat.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Was the camera work ever this gorgeous when Tony was on Travel Channel? Because it feels like the cameras got a nice upgrade from No Reservations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Food Network announced their new slate of shows for the next year. We have a wide variety of terrible future shows.

We have a wide variety of "Win your own restaurant/Stop loving up your restaurant" shows!

quote:

Giving You the Business
Series Premiere: April 2013
CEOs of well-known food chains are looking to expand and reward one of their loyal, hard-working employees with the opportunity to own their own franchise. The twist? The employees don’t know. The bosses secretly enter them into a hidden-camera competition that will test them on their skills, their honesty and their ability to handle themselves in increasingly outrageous situations. In the end, one will be given the opportunity of a lifetime. Produced by Cineflix for Food Network

Food Court Wars
Series Premiere: July 2013
Food Court Wars pits two teams of aspiring food entrepreneurs against one another as they battle to win their own food court restaurant rent-free for a year. Hosted by Tyler Florence, in every episode a mall in a different city wants to open a new ‘local’ eatery in the food court that offers a fresh region-specific menu. Stakes are high as teams must test their concept, market their brand, and run their outlet for a full day feeding hungry shoppers. The team whose restaurant makes the most profit wins their eatery space – a prize worth $100,000. Produced by Optomen for Food Network

On the Rocks
Series Premiere: September 2013
After opening his own consulting business and overseeing bar and club openings in seven countries, it’s safe to say that John Green knows bars. But if John is coming to your bar it means you are On the Rocks. Luckily for struggling bar owners, it’s John to the rescue. In each episode, John travels to bars around the country to help them keep their doors open and get business back to normal. He assesses the bar’s problems, confronts the owner and lets them know what needs to be fixed, whether it’s newly trained staff or a whole new design, John’s got the answers for what ails the bar. Produced by Bodega Pictures for Food Network

Bossover (wt)
Series Premiere: October 2013
The restaurant business is a cutthroat pressure cooker where every moment counts and failure is always right around the corner. With success rates at less than 50%, there’s a wide range of reasons that can cause closures, but sometimes it’s not the food, it’s not the location, and it’s not the employees – sometimes it’s the boss. That’s where Joe Bastianich comes in. Restaurants nominate their terrible bosses for a makeover from Joe, and the owner will have to perform his employees’ jobs to realize that success must start at the top. Produced by Magilla for Food Network

Restaurant Divided
Restaurant Divided is a reality series that pits two warring factions in a failing, family-run restaurant – each with a different vision of how to save it – against each other to determine who has the best plan. After dividing the entire restaurant space in half, each group is given a limited time and budget to transform their space into their vision for a new restaurant. Then, the two restaurants open and compete, side-by-side, by serving real customers over a period of two nights. The concept that does best overall in customer reviews, critic reviews and profitability will be the one that unites the restaurant again. Produced by Leopard Films for Food Network

Restaurant Express
Series Premiere: November 2013
Robert Irvine has gathered eight aspiring restaurateurs for a bus road trip of a lifetime. Through a rigorous set of challenges, Robert will be looking at every aspect of their business acumen and testing all the skills needed to run their own restaurant. In the end, only one person will remain on the bus, ultimately dropped-off at their final stop: their very own restaurant. Produced by RelativityREAL for Food Network

Undercover Critics
Series Premiere: Q1 2014
Restaurant critics are armed with hidden cameras, looking to unveil the good, the bad and the ugly of established restaurants. Undercover Critics will give restaurant owners a second chance to improve on their faults and flaws, before any review is actually published. After visiting the restaurant, our Undercover Critics will reveal themselves, letting the owner know about the visit and handing over the ‘would-be/could-be’ negative review. With a laundry list of things to fix, we’ll see owners do whatever it takes to turn a bad review into a great one before it hits the press. Produced by RelativityREAL for Food Network

We have some dumb competition shows!

quote:

Chef Roulette
Series Premiere: August 2013
This cooking competition takes on a new spin, literally, when Chef Roulette brings four talented chefs together in a high stakes game of chance. Preparing a masterful meal, chefs must learn to expect the unexpected as their entire cooking station and dish may change hands as the wheel turns. The dish they started may not be the one they finish, as the wheel will decide which plate they are completing and ultimately being judged on. Produced by Jane Street for Food Network

Cutthroat Kitchen (wt)
Series Premiere: September 2013
Just how far is a chef willing to go to win a cooking competition? Cutthroat Kitchen hands four chefs $25,000 and the opportunity to spend that money on helping themselves or sabotaging their competitors. Ingredients will be thieved, utensils destroyed and valuable time on the clock lost when these chefs compete to cook delicious dishes while also having to out plot the competition. With Alton Brown as the devilish provocateur, nothing is out of bounds when money changes hands and we see just how far one chef will go to insure they have the winning dish. Produced by Embassy Row for Food Network

Grocery Games
Series Premiere: September/October 2013
Four talented chefs compete in supermarket-themed cooking challenges as they must navigate their way through the aisles, adhering to “real-world” challenges of shopping on a budget, substituting out-of-stock ingredients, and cooking (and checking out) with five items or less. In the end, the food does the talking, as one-by-one the losing chefs are “bagged,” and the last chef standing goes on the shopping spree of a lifetime to make big bucks.

Beat Bobby Flay
Series Premiere: TBD 2013
In order to beat Bobby Flay, you have to get to him first. This new series is the ultimate throwdown-showdown…. Three culinary masters, each with their own signature dish, a dish that they’d stake their reputations on, travel to New York for the chance to challenge Bobby Flay to a head-to-head cook-off of their specialty. But first, these contenders must battle it out to see who has the culinary prowess to ultimately go one-on-one against Bobby on his own turf. Produced by Rock Shrimp for Food Network

Chef Marks the Spot
Series Premiere: TBD 2013
In this cutting edge, culinary competition, two blindfolded chefs are dropped into a real-world environment far from a standard kitchen and pantry – a carnival, dormitory, boardwalk, shopping mall, airplane, hospital, the Las Vegas Strip, Times Square, etc. After removing their blindfolds, the chefs only have a 50-foot radius to source their ingredients and prepare a masterful meal. Regulated by ankle monitors and armed with only a mobile cooking station, the chefs must use their resourcefulness, creativity, and culinary prowess to impress the palates of a group of judges. In the end, only one chef will be victorious in this one-of-a-kind challenge. Produced by Vidiots for Food Network

Amateur Chefs Competition Show / American Superstar Chef (wt)
Premiere: Q1 2014
The biggest home cook tournament spanning the entire country. Join eight celebrity chefs, each representing their own region of the country, as they pick one home cook to represent them and their region in the tournament of their lives. Through a series of head-to-head competitions coached by their celebrity chef, ultimately, one home cook will be crowned the American Superstar Chef.

And we have some pointless reality shows about people vaguely related to food!

quote:

Bubba’s Grills Gone Wild
Series Premiere: July 2013
Bubba’s Grills Gone Wild profiles the lives of Bubba, his family and his crew, the creators of the world’s most outrageous custom barbecue grills. From car engines to big rigs, Bubba and his team can turn just about anything into a grill. Follow the day-to-day fun and drama as they battle impossible deadlines, and each other, to push the envelope of grill design and fabrication. Produced by Nancy Glass Productions for Food Network

The Shed (wt)
Series Premiere: August/September 2013
Follow the lives and exploits of the Orrisons – the (unofficial) First Family of Mississippi. Brad Orrison and his family have amassed a fortune through a chain of Barbecue restaurants ultimately becoming the premier team in nationwide barbecue competitions. The Orrisons are a family full of big characters, big toys, and big laughs, and each episode will chronicle a different component of the Orrison’s ever growing family and business empire in the great state of Mississippi. Nothing is too wild for Brad, his family or the “Shed Heads” to conquer…in or out of the Shed. Produced by Mandt Bros./Neil Mandt for Food Network

Extreme Tupperware Ladies
Extreme Tupperware Ladies pulls the curtain back from one of America’s most iconic brands, giving viewers an insider’s glimpse of a vibrant, fun and completely unexpected culture where top saleswomen and men are making millions, and having a ball doing it. Produced by Collins Avenue for Food Network

All in all a great slate of shows that prove that Food Network is circling the drain! 2013 is the year of the "gently caress you, Food Network!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Red Warrior posted:

It's actually a series they've brought over from Cooking Channel, probably seeing how it does and if it is worth ordering more shows. They've done it with a few shows from Cooking Channel, that donut competition show was from there also. Their new strategy seems to be trying shows for three episodes rather than a traditional single pilot or a regular short season order, and seeing if anything sticks.

In other new show news they are now running ads for 'Kitchen Casino' yet ANOTHER Chopped format show, with the twist being this time they have casino game challenges that win them various advantages, and the cooking area spins around to mix up what dishes they are cooking.

This show is on now, it makes me sad.

• Locked thread