Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Excession posted:

Not everything needs salt in it.

Yes, it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also, I disagree with his take on "food trends" (namely slow food and molecular gastronomy) as being terrible for the "essence" (or whatever) of cooking. I kind of feel like he'd have been angry at the invention of the stove because "tending a fire and proper chimney maintenance are basic essentials" and God forbid people try new things.

That's not his view on molecular gastronomy at all. This is.

Basically, he thinks it's capable of great things but it's not an excuse to skip the fundamentals. Which isn't a viewpoint I think any reasonable person would argue with.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Also I'm not quite sure where Nadia G's accent is from, but I'm pretty certain I never want to go there.

Doucheville, USA

Her "attitude" and persona are so entirely affected that she makes people on trashy reality shows look genuine.

e: whoops, didn't mean to double post

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've never really liked Iron Chef all that much because you get such small glimpses of what each chef is doing that it's hard to tell what the hell they're making. That's why I like Chopped: I can see each contestant make a dish from beginning to end (for the most part). Even if the editing is godawful.

I dunno if I said this in this thread already, but this last week's Chopped was pretty awesome. A lot of the time the winner is just some cocky douche who will become even more of a cocky douche, but you could tell that this was really a turning point for the dude this week. His entree looked incredible; I don't think I've ever seen the judges that blown away before.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Robert Irvine looks goddamn ridiculous.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Moeru posted:

Some of those were interesting actually. The Alton\Man vs Food one was one where I honestly didn't know who to cheer for. Having your mentor tell you you're horrible is just soul crushing :smith:

Really? It seems to me that whether you love or hate Alton Brown, everything he said about Man vs Food is 100% accurate. What a disgusting show.

Also Mario Batali owns. And Anthony Bourdain. And I never thought I'd be on Martha Stewart's side of anything.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I like that the MvF dude responded with "[MvF] has brought loads of biz to Mom-n-Pop places." Guess what? You can do that without stuffing your fat face full of a 12 lb. fried cheeseburger or whatever. I loathe Guy Fieri but the idea of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is pretty cool and I'm sure it brings in lots of business to the places he highlights. And he doesn't even need to eat like a pig to do it!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Oh man, I hope they can get Emeril. I think Bourdain actually begrudgingly respects the guy now, which means Emeril can be that much more brutal without coming off as petty.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

smg77 posted:

Bourdain's last book had a really nice writeup of Emeril and his horrible treatment by the Food Network.

Huh, I should read that. I'm always interested in reading about the Food Network being horrible.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Pfefferbao posted:

I also found out that there'll be a competition between Bourdain and Nigella but that's a different show called "The Taste".

I don't understand. :psyduck:

Is it a direct competition between the two or will they have like teams of chefs competing against each other or what?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Dude probably wants to settle down with his family. He's friggin 56 and has had a great career, why not just sit back and make some cash at this point?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Speaking of people who seem quite nice on Food Network but seem to turn a bit dickish the more you dig, Alton Brown is the guest on the most recent Nerdist podcast with Chris Hardwick.
http://www.nerdist.com/2012/08/nerdist-podcast-alton-brown/

And you know what, it's vintage Alton Brown, he's funny and charming, no sign of the weird Twitter Alton Brown.

He talks about the history/creation of Good Eats, Iron Chef America (he was offered the chairman role or commentator, he also says a chef once tried to bring in marijuana to use), and teases a Mythbusters appearance, it's actually really worth a listen. He even drops an f-bomb which I never expected to hear out of his mouth.

That's awesome, thanks for mentioning this. I don't really like Nerdist anymore but I definitely want to hear everything Alton Brown has to say about anything (except religion).

Also I caught the tail end of a Restaurant: Impossible, and I love how Robert Irvine says Spanish words the way a Latina news reporter says her last name.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 30, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Frot Lesnar posted:

Mario at least said something I always wanted to about the way they pick judges who 'were on the OC': "Who are you and why the gently caress are you judging my food?"

Where/when was this?

sba posted:

Good, I've never liked him.

Good god now I've heard everything.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The dick factor of the judges is what keeps my wife and I glued to Chopped.

"No, don't put raw red onions in!"
"Its not sweet enough for her!"
"That plate is too small for their pompous eating techniques!"
"Slice your steaks, the judges are too uppity to cut their own food!"

I don't really see how any of those are unfair criticisms. Except for the last one, but I don't know remember the context and based on how you framed the others I'm sure it was fair.

Why do people get so bent out of shape over Scott Conant not liking raw red onions? I guess maybe he was a little harsh the first time that contestant put raw red onions in the appetizer. But then the contestant put raw red onions in the next drat dish. That's just stupid.

I haven't watched the show in the while so maybe they really have gotten petty, but when I watched it the judges always seemed pretty fair to me, at least in their final judgements. Maybe even a little too fair for me. I mean yeah, if they were just out at a restaurant telling this poo poo to the chefs then they'd be dicks. But they're judges on competition.

What really sucked was the editing. I'm betting a lot of the things that seemed like dick criticisms were just throwaway comments that had little bearing on the judges' final decision but the editing made it seem like they were the crux of their judgements.

My favorite part of the show was how the cockiest douchebags always did the worst. Every single time someone said something like "this is gonna be easy" or "I'm clearly the best chef here" in their intro segments they'd be out in one, maybe two rounds. It's nice seeing douchebags get shat on for once in reality tv, instead of constantly rewarded.

I also loved the episode a while back with the contestant who was :smith: as gently caress. He made some awful appetizer that wasn't even completed I don't think, but the judges let him through to the next round for some reason and he got his confidence back and blew the judges away. It was such a :unsmith: episode and you could really tell it changed the dude's life.

e: my biggest complaint about the show was the constraints the contestants were put under. The secret ingredients were alright when it was quality ingredients, but what is the point in seeing what a chef can do with a box of macaroni and cheese or strawberry milk powder? I think it would've been better if they had just given them one (good quality) secret ingredient per course, or just a theme for each course. They were already under crazy time constraints.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 7, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Also, :lol: sandra lee shilling for Smirnoff

I have a feeling alcohol is an integral part of Sandra Lee's "cooking". Well, for the people eating it anyway.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Guy Fieri showed his own restaurant on a DDD episode and that place looked terrible. It was in the same realm of TGI Fridays or Chevy's. During the recipe demos the camera also zoomed in on the knives and of course it was the Guy Fieri brand,

Which one? The one that serves pizza sushi or whatever?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Thought the thread would enjoy this: http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/10/anthony-bourdain-roast.html

"Look at all these wonderful chefs... and Rachael Ray. Rachael doesn’t measure any of her ingredients in the kitchen. She just 'guesstimates,' although, to be fair, that orange powder in the Kraft macaroni and cheese box is already measured, so it’s really not that impressive. Rachael Ray is the only person on this stage who can make homemade bread using nothing but store-bought bread. It’s a gift". —Ted Allen

quote:

"Everybody’s been asking me, 'What on earth are you going to say at Bourdain’s roast? He’s been poo poo-talking your name everywhere.' And I’ve been saying, 'Don’t you worry about me. I won’t touch him with a 10-pole, because smack-talking Bourdain would be like hitting a piñata full of poo poo.' Real messy. I want everyone to understand that I’m going to be the bigger man. I’m going to take the high road. I wouldn’t dare come up here and call Anthony Bourdain any of these things that people have called him: No-good, loud mouth, jerkoff, wannabe authority, pseudo rebel, nerd, poo poo-talking, blow hard, celebrity-seeking, Eric-Ripert coattail, Mario Batali rear end-kissing hate monger ... Jose Canseco of the food world, snaggle tooth, Lurch-looking motherfucker. No, I’m here to take the high road." — Guy Fieri

"Anthony, I gotta ask a question, why do you hate me so much brother? ... Is it because you went to a fancy culinary school and I didn’t? I hear you’re the only one in class who did most of his cooking with a spoon and a Bic lighter." — Guy Fieri

Question: is Guy Fieri the worst, or the goddamn worst? He's at a roast for the the guy who talks the most poo poo about him than anyone else and he just whines about not being liked. And his insults are the worst. He actually called Anthony Bourdain "no-good" and a nerd. I'm surprised he didn't bring his mom on stage to give Bourdain a stern talking to.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I honestly thought that second joke was pretty good. Better than any of the quotes they have from Bonnie McFarlane at least.

I like Bonnie McFarlane but I'm not sure what she or any of the other comedians were doing there. Surely there's enough people from the cooking world that would love to take shots at Bourdain.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

CrushedWill posted:

Bourdain can't stand Food Network, but I'm not sure if he resents the fact that they hire people that can't cook

Yes, this. He hates Food Network for promoting celebrity chefs that only really have the celebrity part mastered, eg Rachael Ray and Sandra Lee. I think he's all for, say, Mario Batali being a celebrity and Food Network (hypothetically) promoting the poo poo out of Mario Batali.

I just happened to see this video the other day that I think is apropos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR0pQcp5jYg

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

osukeith161 posted:

I soured on him when he, er, I mean Travel Channel, some producer, anyone but him, picked a Filipino, who never had actually been to the philippines as a host. That was, in my mind, when the shark jumped.

You know that was a contest right? People had to send in tapes of themselves trying to convince Bourdain to go to whatever country. That Saudi Arabian woman won, but the Filipino guy was the runner up.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

osukeith161 posted:

I've seen both episodes. Abso-fuckig-loutely. So now that that is settled, why is it any different? It wasn't a contest where "whatever I picked out a hat, even if it was whale-eating Alaskan province, is what I will go to." It was chosen. Very carefully. And if you don't believe so, then woe is you. Submitting VHS tapes (did anyone really do this?) to a network is not at all vs the same legal rigidity of contests like lotteries or gambling. Take your romanticized notion of "contest" away, which it never was, and it was insulting.

I'm not sure what exactly I'm responding to in this mess, but your complaint was about the guy they brought along, who sort of came packaged with the location. He wasn't supposed to be their handler or anything, they have their own people to do that I'm sure, he was just there because he won.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Timett posted:

Not really relevant to the thread but the shark doesn't jump... it gets jumped over :colbert:

If only the shark had jumped Fonzie instead of the other way around...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Hilariously enough, after all this talk of Sandra Lee being a lush, I just saw a commercial for her new show on Cooking Channel: Sandra Lee's Taverns, Lounges & Clubs. :ironicat:

I'm sure it's total coincidence that the title is so similar to Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, even down to the syllable count.

• Locked thread