Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I used to really like Food Network, but it's just gotten so unbearably awful within the past year or two. I blame it on the cancellation of Ace of Cakes.

I also used to really like the cake challenges they had, but now they feel the need to make it less about the work and more about throwing in these pointless twists and mini-challenges and it's really annoying and I don't like it anymore.

And I'm sick of there being so many "Let's go around America to check out all these restaurants!" shows. Thankfully I'm pretty sure Outrageous Foods is canceled, but there's still like 5 others floating around. The only ones I like are Kid in a Candy Store and Crave because the guys on them are entertaining and the formats are different.

I could complain about Food Network for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I Ozma Myself posted:

I imagine it must be frustrating for professionals to see- the earlier ones certainly had screwups, but since they had fewer curveballs there was more of a contest with the final version. If they're not asking for "extreme elements" they're finding ways to torture people and it's tedious. If they find that people are less interested in the cake shows, maybe just don't show so goddamn many of them? I

I liked seeing people making interesting cakes and what went into doing it competetively. Now I go to watch it, and it's more about minigames and loving with the contestants than them being able to actually do any work.

They had one that was space/alien-themed, and they threw a twist at them where they too everyone's assistants away, and all the assistants had to work together to make a spaceship cake and suspend it from a pulley system, and "fly" it from platform to platform before they could return to work.

There was a Lego cakes one where it started off with them having to make mini-cakes of each judge, and then in the middle of the challenege, they had to stop and build little playsets without instructions or something.

And then in this latest one, Santa brought them gifts. Some got ornaments, and others got coal. Those that got coal had to stop and help the other contestants make their cakes for a bit.

And then the judges have the nerve to bitch about quality of work and time management and poo poo when all is said and done. SORRY MY CAKE WASN'T PERFECT KERRY VINCENT BUT YOU MADE MY ASSISTANT FLY A loving SPACESHIP CAKE FOR SOME STUPID REASON.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

spronk posted:

I've also heard that the iron chef series does tell the contestants ahead of time a few possible secret ingredients (one will be chosen), so its not really a suprise. Those kind of things kind of irk me about the show, one of the reasons why I like Chopped since it does seem like its more "real" without behind the scene manipulations.

Yeah, they pretty much know the secret ingredient beforehand, and even plan out their meals prior to the competition. I remember them doing a special about Iron Chef America where they showed them sitting around figuring out their menus. It's such bullshit.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

On Next Iron Chef, I'm rooting for Geoffrey Z, not really sure why.

I think it's funny how the judges apparently give him crap for preparing the special ingredients in multiple ways. Isn't that the whole premise of what an Iron Chef does?

And really, this season's pretty lame considering the majority of the contestants are established Food Network personalities. It's basically "Who will get to win the chance to be on a second TV show?" which is pretty boring.

Not to mention the last two winners have barely competed on Iron Chef, so whoever wins this season would, what, show up only 2 or 3 times over the next year? How very thrilling.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The best part was the follow-up rematch they had in Japan. Not wanting to upset anyone this time around, Bobby Flay made sure to fling his cutting board on the floor before getting up and doing his little dance.

Which is somehow better I guess?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It used to be up on Netflix, but I guess it got taken down already.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

They also do the reveal of the ingredients a couple times, I don't remember why anymore, but it was all covered in that behind the scenes special they made once (where they explained that the chefs get 15 minutes after time is called to plate enough food for the whole judging table).

Oh man, I forgot that part.

I really wonder if the original Iron Chef had that much hand-holding. It really didn't feel like it, but it might have just been better edited (and also didn't have a behind-the-scenes special revealing how everyone was a big pussy). At the very least, the handling and preparation of ingredients was definitely more hardcore.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I will hear no badmouthing about Ace of Cakes. :mad: Besides, if you thought it was bad, it only got worse when it got canceled, since Food Network tried to take what was good about the show (awesome cakes made by a fun group of people) and split the concept into two new shows; Have Cake, Will Travel (for the cake part) and Ice Brigade (for the group of people part). Note the words "awesome" and "fun" are missing from the concepts of those new shows. Also note those shows didn't make it past their first few episodes.

And then, of course, Duff was put on that new show Sugar High, which was just another "Let's go around America and check out restaurants" show which they have a bajillion of, and was the most uninspired of them all.

physeter posted:

The thing I don't understand about cake challenges is that those cakes taste like absolute poo poo. It's just fondant icing and stale cake cut by a hacksaw. Why not just get a normal cake and hire your local, underemployed sculptor? Cake shows make no sense. If someone got me a big fancy cake that tasted like crap I would be mad.

They have different types of challenges. Some of them are just showpieces, so taste doesn't matter. However, they're still to be sculpted in a way that they'd (theoretically) be edible. Then there's other challenges where taste is a factor.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 5, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Didn't they have a couple awful cupcake shows when loving cupcakes became all the rage for like five minutes for God knows what reason?

I can't recall any other cupcake-themed shows besides the one that's on now. God gently caress, do I hate Cupcake Wars. It would actually be tolerable without all the annoying quips tying in with the theme of the event, though.

Just every couple minutes, the loving host has to say some sort of stupid douchey comment, and then that loving lady judge has to say comments too. Space-themed event. "That's one small step for man, 10 minutes left to finish your cupcakes!" "I gotta say this cupcake is out of this world!" No shut the gently caress up all of you.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why do people like Anne Burrell? I cannot stand her even the slightest bit. Her food, her look, and her personality are all being annoying and I despise her being on my TV.

Oh and this Monday there's a new Diners Drive-Ins and Dives with Kid Rock on it. Guy Fieri gravitates towards to worst kind of people.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

Burrell gets HUGE bonus points for being a Batali disciple. Related to that her food usually looks really really good.

That just counts against her for me, since I always hated Mario Batali too. Really, I hate everything about her and see nothing good about anything regarding who she is or what she does and I would rather have three more shows with Guy Fieri on Food Network if it meant she was never seen again.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm just saying this now, if he ends up having smushmouth guest star on a ep where he goes to some place they eat eggs, and smushmuff eats more eggs then that he did for us, I'm not saying on a murder spree, but the odds are high.

Smash Mouth was already on there once. I cannot recall if any eggs were eaten at the time.

At this rate he'll probably have a Valentine's Day special where he hangs out with Fred Durst and teaches how to make nookie cookies and hot dog-flavored water or whatever the gently caress.

And it would still be better than anything with Anne Burrell.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Anne Burrell owns sorry yall hate women so much :toot:

Calling Anne Burrell a woman is like calling Sandra Lee sober.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sehkmet posted:

Why is this even a thing

The fact that it is is pretty incredible in its own right.

I don't get Cooking Channel, so I've only seen her stuff on their YouTube channel, but I don't dislike Nadia G. Her show seems like Good Eats crossed with Pee Wee's Playhouse, which doesn't seem like that bad a thing, at least in small doses.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Borh posted:

That's what irks me the most. Those shows would have been fine in a reality TV channel or some sort of arts and crafts channel and people could watch them there, if they're into that sort of thing. But on the loving food network, the bare minimum I expect is that the shows are about something that is at least edible. Even if it's a dude eating giant bugs in a jungle in South Vietnam. Some people eat it, therefore it's food. The same can't be said about the giant, garish monstrosities on those fake cake shows.

I think he meant the fact that they are cakes on television, and therefore he cannot eat them.

The cakes on Ace of Cakes were pretty much always edible unless they were specifically asked to make showpieces. If you watched the short-lived Have Cake, Will Travel though, their cakes were godawful pieces of poo poo. More styrofoam, rice krispie treats, isomalt, and other non-cake and non-edible components than actual cake.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

robot roll call posted:

Wow, Summer Sanders! She hosted some show on Nickelodeon I used to watch all the time as a kid.

I used to think she was so hot on that show. Nowadays she's shilling for some product on late-night infomercials.

Also hahahaha Aaron Carter. He beat Shaq, you know.
http://youtu.be/OfhhWA9GF0M

I really only watch Food Network out of habit nowadays. I honestly can't think of any one show I actually LIKE on there anymore. How exactly did that network crash so hard so fast?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So is anyone else watching this Mystery Diners show? I never even saw a commercial for it, and was expecting an episode of Restaurant Impossible. Food Network will plug the poo poo out a show that's like a month away, but not one that's premiering this week?

Anyway, I guess the premise is they set up hidden cameras to catch employees being terrible at their jobs. At least that's what this episode is. This lady suspects her bartender is really lovely, so they send in fake customers with eyeglass cams and set up cameras in the bar and he comps them a hundred bucks in free drinks, ignores regular customers, and gives himself like $50 in tips instead of paying into the register.

So... hooray? Terrible People: The Show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I liked how Zakarian was repeatedly chastized for preparing multiple items using the ingredient of theme of the week, since that's kind of what Iron Chef is all about. Based on skill, it seems to make sense he's on the team now.

Doesn't mean I like this show any more or will be watching any future episodes of it or ICA on purpose. Hell, I only watched the last minute of the finale to see who won.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

Not exactly food network, but it is Scripps.

TLC isn't Scripps.

I'd kill myself too if I had to spend time with Buddy Valastro, though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So it seems Wednesdays, Food Network is doing some sort of pilot burn-off or something. Last week was a show they didn't promote, and it was just the one episode, and now tonight was a different show, also completely out of nowhere.

This one was "Food Attacks," which is people droning on and on and on as they recount times that foods made them sick while re-enactments take place.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

Why not just have Symon, Garcia, Forgione and Zakarian out there as your only choices and say that the others were busy with other things.

Because then you're removing Morimoto, and he's the only real Iron Chef they have. :mad:

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Please tell me you made this up. You made this up.

Nope. It was like a really lovely version of Rescue 911 (remember this show?), but instead of William Shatner doing narration, it was each person telling their own story.

First one was about a woman who overdosed on "horshradish" (she was incapable of saying it correctly). Second story was about a guy who ate peanut butter tainted with salmonella. Last story was about a guy who swallowed a bee and was allergic to bees.

Now you might be thinking, "What does that last one have to do with food?" Well, the bee went down the straw of his soda. So... FOOD ATTACKS!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glitterbomber posted:

I really want to watch this because it sounds so stupid.

They're replaying it at 11:30 EST tonight.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ashpanash posted:

That'd be great, but remember, the judges are judging on an American palate, which calls for bolder and more present flavors and less attention to things like texture and balance.

And for everything to be made into in ice cream. Don't forget that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

To be fair...Symon wasn't very good at it (though he was more fun to watch).

Agreed. Robert Irvine's version was about a very intense guy yelling at challenges to complete them. This worked if you cared about "Will they complete this challenge?" but it didn't work if you cared about people not being unpleasant.

Michael Symon's version was about a guy having some genuine fun trying to do some unique challenges. If you felt that challenges must be completed to an exceptional degree in order for the show to fulfill its premise, then this was a problem, but for those of use who didn't care (or enjoyed some genuine doubt that a challenge would be completed), it was nice to see someone enjoyable for a change.

Then Robert came back and they felt it needed to be MORE IMPOSSIBLE and they'd keep adding new missions during the middle of the challenge so that he could yell more. Now he's yelling at restaurants.

By the way, who else thinks it's hilarious that Alex Guarnaschelli is Geoffrey Zakarian's sous chef on Iron Chef? Well Alex, you didn't win Next Iron Chef (you didn't even get runner-up), but you still get to do all the work of an Iron Chef without any of the recognition!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Just saw a commercial for Fat Chef, a show about fat chefs losing weight.

I've seen commercials for this too. I have no idea why the gently caress this is a show, or a show on Food Network (Though to be fair, the same could be said about 90% of FN's programming).

I've also seen commercials for a new season of Worst Cooks in America, which is probably the worst premise for a reality competition I've ever seen.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can we change the thread title to "Food Netword Thread: Time for a Jellybean" please?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thank you, Thread Fairy. :)

Cheech gives no fucks.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

gently caress, I thought this was just a one off special about how much food we waste as a society.

Same here. But I guess that's not good enough for Food Network.

There actually IS a documentary on Netflix about exactly this, though. It's called "Dive!: Living Off America's Waste"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's really not surprising that Paula developed some sort of health issue, if you've ever looked at any of her cooking. Hell, when the jokes about her usage of butter came about, it seemed she embraced it and actually started adding MORE butter to her foods. What IS surprising is that it's diabetes and not some sort of fire monster devouring her organs.

And since Food Network stars are 50% personality and 50% "culinary point of view," I think the network would sooner fire her than risk retooling her style. If they want someone cooking diabetic-friendly menus or just cooking healthy food that would encourage less diabetes going around, they'd just get someone new. They also won't do that (on Food Network) because foods that aren't absolutely disgusting are clearly not worth making TV shows about.

So Paula will keep making chicken fried sticks of butter in a salt gravy y'all, while promoting diabetes medication (win/win). Oh, and be sure to watch the premiere of Fat Chef, everyone!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ozmaugh posted:

Did somebody say Bánh mě? I have the BEST IDEA for a new pop up restaurant...wait until small town, South Dakota gets a load of my haute cuisine!

Don't you even hate on Nom Nom Truck.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I will because that name is incredibly awful.

Says forums user "gently caress SNEEP" :mad:

It's a cute and bubbly name that's easy to remember and goes with their image and works really well for them. I wish they were on the east coast because I wanna try their food so bad.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was the show doing really bad, and that's why they bundled the last two episodes together?

Also, I'm not the only one who felt the competition was fixed, was I? Lou Diamond Phillips is a regular judge on Iron Chef, and his chosen charity was the same one that Food Network backs. How could he NOT win?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Raw red onion is his kryptonite. He shrivels up and dies like a slug in beer when it gets near him.

Is it his own personal distaste, or is it a legitimately bad thing for a chef to do? A LOT of the chefs on Chopped seem to do it, so there must be some precedent for it and some people must enjoy it in that form as an element, so it would seem like the latter. But drat, does he acts like everyone that does it is some sort of monster.

And speaking of Chopped, the one I'm watching now has a recovering alcoholic on it, and one of the rounds had alcohol as a basket ingredient. Dick move, Food Network.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jack Skeleton posted:

So the final Good Eats special aired last night about dark chocolate and thus ends Good Eats.

yeah.

I went to bed dreaming about all the things he made and woke up very upset that I didn't have any of them waiting for me. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, just saw Robert Irvine throw up. Because when you're watching a channel called Food Network, it needs to be as disgusting and unpleasant as possible for the viewer.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Toffile posted:

Haven't you seen When Food Attacks?

Yes. I mean, there's disgusting poo poo on this channel all the time, but actually showing someone throw up is kind of a new level.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

With Irvine involved? I've seen live rats and food that has molded into other forms of life on his show. A little vomit sounds kind of tame in comparison.

Maybe my threshold is different from most, but seeing a person actually throw up makes me more queasy than seeing disgusting food and rotted poo poo.

Ozmaugh posted:

Curious: this woman on Fat Chef or whatever not wanting to talk about her lap band is making me wonder how easy it is to just burst/snap it or make it fail. Do you really have to work at that, or is it something that happens more frequently than I realize?

I can't understand why she didn't want to talk about it and why she was being so secretive and pissed off about it. But I wasn't really paying attention; I usually watch Impractical Jokers and it wasn't on tonight, and I never watch Fat Chef because it's stupid. So did I miss something, or was she really just being a bitch for no reason?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cupcake Wars is a bad show.

Speaking of bad dessert shows, Pretentious Fart-Smelling Pastry Chef is coming back for a second season this week and I can't understand why.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I watched Sweet Genius all afternoon yesterday.

I don't understand why they have him behaving that way; he's really not a jerk otherwise, but comes across that way. It's dumb as hell.

THE INSPIRATION IS...A DISCO BALL

GENIUS!

A disco ball is a ball covered in dozens of mirrors that hangs from the ceiling. It was commonly used as a decoration during the disco era of the 1970's, particularly in dance clubs.

*makes dessert out of baby food and wasabi, covers it in glitter, wins $10,000*

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Obviously the solution to worrying about looking bad on film is to not be a lovely employee in the first place, but...

That wouldn't make for a good TV show! :downs:

You know how Restaurant Impossible sometimes comes across restaurants where part of the problem is the service isn't very good? The show felt like JUST that part, but stretched out over an hour, and just the early parts before they learn to not suck. I don't like that.

I'm just fed up with shows showcasing lovely people and atmospheres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

neongrey posted:

Wait, that accent is too hard to understand? :psyduck:

Food Network subtitles 90% of people with accents on their channel (somehow Florian gets a pass even though he's the one person that needs them), and dubs Morimoto over even though he speaks English better than most of their other personalities.

• Locked thread