Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

sighnoceros posted:

So when we set up at some location and everyone takes a chokepoint, I can usually handle all my stuff no problem. But if a pipe in someone else's chokepoint goes off and isn't reset and something else shows up, that's when it goes to poo poo.

When my group of friends play, and there are usually 6 of us at level 6 playing on Sui or HoE, we find spots with 2 or less entry points. You having only 1 person at each spot is not a great idea, in my mind.
I can't think of any base map off the top of my head that requires you to have more than 2 places to cover.
Our usual team is 2 sharpies, a medic, support, commando (me), and a demo. Depending on the level, I usually start as FB or berserker until wave 3 or 4. If we're playing the Portal level, I just camp a doorway as the berserker with the katana and everyone else heals me and fires over my head.

Scyantific posted:

E: Does anyone know about any good comprehensive map packs out there? That'd be pretty useful to add to the OP.
When my buddies used to play at my place every week, I'd go through the whitelist thread on the Tripwire forum and grab all the new maps and replace any that had new versions. There is a lot of dross, so I'd quickly playtest each of them the night before to weed out the lovely ones. Some were plain awful, and some would take forever to play with only 6 players, or creatures would spawn behind scenery and get stuck.

Obviously we'd only play the whitelisted ones so all the perks are functional and level up.
After that I'd compile up updated map pack and get everyone to copy it off my box when they arrived.

I haven't done that for about a year, though. Here's the list of maps in my "maps to grab" folder that have passed at least a modicum of testing and suit my friend's playstyle, or have some amusing gimmick we liked. Remember that this is a year old, and they may have all been superseded and hence no longer whitelisted. Just check the forum I posted above.

KF-2005Bioticslab.rom
KF-2005Manor.rom
KF-2005Offices.rom
KF-2005SewersV2.rom
KF-2005WestLondon.rom
KF-420-Ganja-Farm-Reweeded-V1-1.rom
KF-420-Ganja-Farm-Reweeded[EW]0.rom
KF-420-Ganja-Farm-V1.rom
KF-AquaStudy-V2Final.rom
KF-Arcade-Skatepark-FIN.rom
KF-Archives.rom
KF-AspenManorFinal.rom
KF-AsylumOfDeath_Beta1.rom
KF-Aventine.rom
KF-BarbedSchool65.rom
KF-BarzakhV2c.rom
KF-BellTolls.rom
KF-Biohazard-XTX.rom
KF-Brewery.rom
KF-BunkerI-V1.rom
KF-Candlesmoke.rom
KF-Canyon-Final.rom
KF-Carnival11.rom
KF-CarryOnUp.rom
KF-CastleAvernusV1.rom
KF-Chthon.rom
KF-Complex.rom
KF-Complex2-[LT]RC.rom
KF-Constriction.rom
KF-CornerMarket_v3.rom
KF-Crag_B3.rom
KF-Crematorium.rom
KF-Crystal-Lake-CE-V1-7a.rom
KF-DammageV3b.rom
KF-Deadcenter_fix.rom
KF-Distrikt.rom
KF-Downtown_Derelict_2-7.rom
KF-ElementarySchool.rom
KF-Farm-Day.rom
KF-Farmiloe.rom
KF-Floor17Final.rom
KF-Fortress_v1.rom
KF-GoingUndergroundB3.rom
KF-Grevona.rom
KF-HarbourV3.rom
KF-HELLBETA2-1.rom
KF-Industry.rom
KF-KalendraBeta.rom
KF-KingOfTheHill.rom
kf-lostboys.rom
KF-MountainPassDay.rom
KF-MountainPassNight.rom
KF-Multifarious.rom
KF-MyHomeIs-1b.rom
KF-Northsuite.rom
KF-OrmanManor.rom
KF-OutPost22.rom
KF-Oviamoire.rom
KF-PandorasBox_v2.rom
KF-RaccoonInternationalAirportWB.rom
KF-RE1-Mansion-Story.rom
KF-Refugev2.rom
KF-RO-KrasnyiOktyabrV1.rom
KF-RuralRoad2v1.rom
KF-SawnOfTheDead1-2.rom
KF-SmellyCave.rom
KF-Suburbia_Final.rom
KF-Survival.rom
KF-Swamp.rom
KF-ThelongDarkRoad.rom
KF-TownhouseDefenseBeta2.rom
KF-TrailOfTheWoodsFINAL.rom
KF-Train.rom
KF-Train25-[LT]RC.rom
KF-WickedCity.rom
KF-WretchedV1.rom

Gromit fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
An area of effect healing weapon would be kind of cool.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Take all the guns out and just have the players yell at the zeds to go back to their own country and stop ruining this one. Filthy, err, "pinks"?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

NotShadowStar posted:

Pfft. I do this all the time on certain maps with a commando, like hospital or offices where there are nice loops to run around. K guys you just sit there in your little hallway, I'm gonna play Serious Sam, the Horror Edition :clint:

Please play a solo game then, and don't take up a slot for those of us that want to play a team game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

unkle77 posted:

Those both create "fire" damage since the Mac 10 and nades set enemies on fire. For the demo, it's just damage that happens as a result of an explosion. I tried for a couple games to use the bullets on the M4 and watch for an increase (I can only see quantities in hundreds of thousands now), but I never saw the bar tick forwards, or see the number bump up.

You can use SAM to see the exact amount of any of your perks, if you need to see a minor increase.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

unkle77 posted:

Won't that get my account banned though? I've heard some nasty things about SAM.

I've only ever used it to look at numbers. You don't need to make any edits with it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

az posted:

Really, since when? I've always been under the impression that they, like scrakes, don't give a gently caress about launched grenades. If what you say is true that gives things a new perspective for me.

Are you implying that Scrakes have some sort of explosive immunity? Because they don't.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

az posted:

When KF was new, it was some sort of accepted fact that you don't shoot grenades at scrakes and fps, all this time I thought it was actually true :psypop:

Something to keep in mind is that you can headshot with the grenade launchers. Bloats soak them up, but if you hit them in the head with the M79 it's much more satisfying.

Alteisen posted:

In certain maps the only viable strategy is to do constant loops of it as berserkers(Suburbia, West London and Aperture for example).

For Aperture we hole up in an upstairs room that only has one skinny door entry. I usually play berserker and block the doorway with the katana and just hold the mouse button down, essentially. Behind me are 1 or 2 medics keeping me alive, 2 support, and a demo right at the back who will fill the corridor when requested as the rest of us are crouching so he can fire over our heads.
It's great, but things can fall apart on wave 10 when you get lots of FPs at once. Definitely NOT a guaranteed win, by way quicker to get to the end waves than a running game.

Metal Meltdown posted:

The LAW is a bit crap. As I recall, Fleshpounds actually have resistance to it, which is just awful.

The LAW needs to be like the Doom rocket launcher, and able to be fired from the hip

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Sharpshooters should, later on at least, be triggering a full minute or two of ZED time off a couple well placed headshots.

I couldn't think of anything worse than actually experiencing a minute or two of zed-time non-stop. I'm glad it only goes for a few seconds at best.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

People are probably wondering how you managed to get the welding points and stalker kills in that short a time, let alone everything else for all your perks to be 5 or more. How many hours do you have in the game?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Dirt5o8 posted:

I wasn't paying attention though and brought my flamethrower to the patriarch fight, wasn't an issue but I was pretty useless.

Setting the Pat on fire is great as you can see where he goes when he turns invisible and run him down. No good for a chainsaw rape, of course.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Scyantific posted:

Also, about using SAM,
I personally used the Doom-Final map (Bob's Whorehouse Servers) to grind all my damage requirements and got them pretty fast. I SAM'd the Stalker and cheesed the welding by leaving my game running overnight with the weld key bound to mouse1 with a clot clawing at a door while I welded. :colbert:

I grinded for all my perks the old fashioned way but use SAM for looking at the raw numbers. However, if you're just going to stick a welding key down with a clot clawing at a door and go to bed, you might as well use SAM and save that time. Neither method is doing it the "real" way.

But welding and stalker kills seem like busy-work, rather than legitimate gaming "practice".

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cowwan posted:

I had a good time the other day when I was commando and my friend was a firebug, we got ourselves in a bad spot and the end result was me spraying ammo at health bars in a raging inferno. It might not have been effective but it was rather fun.

I don't know why so many people cry about fire and smoke obscuring everything. On the harder levels you just keep firing - there's ALWAYS something in there. And if the sharpies can't hit an FP in the head at point-blank range, then he's no sharpshooter :colbert:

But more seriously, your camping spot needs a back wall that the demo can hit. Splash hurts the zeds and the smoke doesn't obscure anything.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Pointless Adornment posted:

I wish I could post this a million times, especially with the resurgence of KF's popularity: If you see someone, especially a Berserker or Medic on higher difficulties, hitting a Fleshpound with a fireaxe-- for the love of god DO NOT SHOOT AT IT, LET THEM HANDLE IT.

No, what you need to be doing is shooting all the crawlers and other junk that is killing the berserker as he tries to save your rear end from that FP.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Takes No Damage posted:

By this time I could actually outrun him when he dashed away to try and heal.

Can you get to the point where you can outrun his rockets?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

conversation means one person talking to another, not just going on while no one responds. Really?

The last time some little kid wouldn't shut up I just said "just because you have a mic doesn't mean you have to use it all the time" and he shut up. I'm not suggesting this will work all the time though. Or even more than the one time for me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Tolain posted:

Question on how perk leveling works: does the stat you're increasing go based off of how much damage the weapon does, or total mob health? Like if a claymore hit does 250 damage but a clot has 200 hp, will you get 200 or 250 melee damage stat per clot killed?

Like Guillermus said, it's the damage you actually deal to hurt a zed and anything over what kills it is wasted. This is why you want to fight zeds at the highest difficulty you can survive, as they have more HPs and so you get more points.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

freeforumuser posted:

(except firebug because it sucks donkey balls)

Let's not say things we can't take back, now. Mind you, I'd only play it for the first 4 or 5 rounds, depending on the camping spot.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

It would be so nice if Tripwire would remove all the Unreal Tournament cruft from the KF server browser, and add in some more KF specific things, like what wave the server is on.

Every time I see the translocator mentioned in the server options window I imagine using it in KF to telefrag FPs.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

And, of course, their ever-increasing aversion to being anywhere near your grenades.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Takes No Damage posted:

It's one of the best looking and most detailed maps, shame it isn't more popular. It is pretty drat confusing though. There are a few places scattered around at which you can make a stand but it's too honeycombed to be able to kite.

There is a nice long path that leads you around the whole level, but there are a couple of points that can get you sandwiched if you hang around too long. We usually have most of the party make a stand for a few seconds whilst one member runs ahead and warns when things are getting too hot so everyone can bail and keep moving.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I actually play on a LAN in my back room with 5 buddies :v:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I still remember the first time I was shown how quickly FPs go down to a zerk gang rape with multiple axes. One baits him and the others get behind and wail on him - dead in 3 seconds on Suicidal. I was amazed.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Takes No Damage posted:

I've only ever seen it done on that big wooden bridge, since it's in a corner of the map nothing has room to spawn behind you. Does make for some interesting trader runs tho, trying to run 500 meters round trip in 60 seconds is always a good time.

I've had an excellent time camping at the open end of the U-shaped barn. If you are far enough away from the doors I don't think anything spawns in the barn itself so you just get these nice long shots at incoming zeds from the higher road and the countryside off to where the dry river bed is. Commandos and Sharpies have a field day.
Hmm, now that I think about it maybe they do spawn down the back but you can have one guy down there taking out the very few who come through.

Here's a map: http://media.gamesource.it/gallery/pc/68936/KillingFloor-21956.jpg showing the area at the bottom right. Zeds come from the west and north, and a tiny few spawn behind the barn and walk through it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'll have to try and find the name of the map, but there's one my friends and I used to play which almost always alternated traders between the two furthest spots. One was at the top of a highrise and the other was at the end of an adjacent underground complex. You'd have to make a fighting run to each trader as soon as you knew for sure where it was going to be, and learn where the death-traps were for spawns.

Made for some very tense moments and lots of "leave him, he's already dead" if people got left behind in the wrong areas.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Scyantific posted:

What I want to know is how she'll sound when tossing out the dosh.

This is the most important part of the new character. If her Dosh-tossing voice is bad then I expect horrible failure :colbert:

It would be magical if the German and French voice packs were just horribly accented English saying the original lines.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Whilst I remember playing on some special maps to boost Stalker numbers, for the most part I just ensured I had a Bullpup no matter what class I played, and switched to it whenever Stalkers appeared.
I think Manor seemed to spawn a lot, but that's anecdotal and likely not true at all.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Just quickly, and not wanting to spam/derail, I've got a copy of the Killing Floor bundle in my Steam inventory if someone has a friend they need it for and are up for a trade of some sort.
I've mentioned it in the trading thread but thought I'd throw it in here just in case.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'll add you as gromit2096. I'm into FP games mostly, but we'll see how we go.

edit: Doh - everything you had that I liked I already have :( Thanks anyway.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 4, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I still have the game and DLC in my inventory, so let me know if you want to get it and save yourself a few bucks by buying me some cheapo game I might like or some DLC for my existing stuff.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

And if you can manage it, a headless Fleshpound raging is the funniest thing to behold.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Takes No Damage posted:

...a buddy is telling me they also patched out his susceptibility to circle 'zerking with chainsaws. Says they tried it with a full team of lv6 zerkers and got destroyed while only taking off like 8% of the Pat's health.

I haven't played it for ages to verify, but didn't they give the Pat some sort of melee attack that he uses when surrounded like that, exactly to combat the zerk rape?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Reallycoolname posted:

One of my favourite things to do in KF is to crouch and let a crawler leap up at me, then double-barrel-blasting the guy upwards and across the street.

Really, I don't understand the appeal in gibbing (the red mist kind, limbs are a-okay). Physics are so much more entertaining.

In the Departed map there's a fence between the train tracks and the street with some pallets stacked up acting as a ladder. If you crouch near those and shoot the zeds that come over the pallets, you can fling their bodies up onto the roof of the building next door. This roof has a skylight, but I'm yet to get one to fly up and drop into the building through it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

edit: done

Gromit fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 14, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I very rarely play with FF on, but I find that you bump it down a few difficulty notches and it becomes a totally different game. You need to talk about crossing lines of fire and covering different areas.
I've only played it with friends on a LAN though. I imagine it would be infuriating with pubbies.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ages ago it was our "go to" game for LAN nights each week and I played a bunch online as well, so I've got 646 hours up. It's been months since I played it last though.
Earliest achievement is dated December 2009.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Do any AusGoons hit the Birdcage? If so, what are the pings like?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

The Internet will obviously tell you where they all are, but the ones I needed to look up were:

1. There are 2 in that room near the trader that has carcasses hanging from the ceiling. It's easy to miss the second one.
2. There's one in a kitchen cupboard in the house.
3. One is in amongst the top of a pile of trash that makes up one of the walkways to a rooftop.

Presumably you aren't missing the 3 in a row in the cornfields outside the map though?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

He obviously means not firing it like a bullet hose. I mean, how do you think he has any idea what the player has the gun set on if only 1 bullet comes out at a time?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cage posted:

Except he said "switch to single shot".

Err, yes? It being the alternative to fully automatic?
I don't want to put words in limp_cheese's mouth, as he can speak for himself, but it seems you take issue with him saying don't set the gun on full auto whereas you'd rather he had said don't fire it like a bullet hose? Surely we are all clear with the sentiment he was making without taking it to some pedantic extreme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

What difficulty do you play on?

• Locked thread