Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Someone in the old thread mentioned that in a game like this turning friendly fire on does nothing other than force everyone to go sharpshooter. Yeah pretty much.

Plus running around at the start of rounds smacking everyone with a knife is pretty much mandatory. Especially as we are all apparently made of concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

sighnoceros posted:

Does anyone have any general tips for making the leap to harder difficulties? My group is currently playing hard most of the time, and I'd say our success ratio is finally edging over 50%. But Normal is pretty much a walk in the park at this point. We generally fall apart at the typical point, when something huge comes in, then something huge comes in again before we've fully recovered/reloaded/got back into place/are prepared to deal with it. Or we get hit from multiple sides simultaneously by multiple big guys.

My team is usually:

support (me)
commando
firebug
demo

All level 6.

I'm wondering if we're crippled because nobody plays a sharpshooter really. I like sharpshooter and have a level 5 but if I played sharp we wouldn't have a support. But then I've read that class make-up really isn't that important so I don't know.

I think one of our biggest problems is that the commando and, to an extent, the firebug have little ability to take down high-threat guys. Even the demo is better in groups of smaller guys due to having to waste so many nades on a large guy. When a scrake or fp comes through the fastest way to deal with it is usually my aa12 or a pipe.

So when we set up at some location and everyone takes a chokepoint, I can usually handle all my stuff no problem. But if a pipe in someone else's chokepoint goes off and isn't reset and something else shows up, that's when it goes to poo poo. But I feel like saying "we die because the other guys on my team can't handle high-threat enemies" is kind of pretentious and arrogant and I know it's not JUST that. But I do think that having relied on pipes for much of our big stuff has disadvantaged us a little for when poo poo hits the fan.

So with that in mind, any tips?

Edit: A little expansion on our usual tactics. Most of the time, we try to hold up in an area with 2 or 3 chokepoints, and enough space between the chokepoints to retreat in case poo poo hits the fan. I hold a chokepoint myself, and the commando and firebug either group up on the other one or hold one each. Then the demo is a floater, usually parked somewhere he can see both areas to rain down hellfire.

Also, for support I still prefer pump+aa12 instead of hunting+aa12. I use pump for all the small stuff and switch to aa12 for big guys or hairy situations. Should I try using hunting+aa12 and use aa12 for small stuff? Usually I am holding a chokepoint myself and am pretty self-sufficient so I'm not sure if aa12 would have enough ammo unless we switched tactics so I regularly have another partner to deal with the smaller guys.

You are really gimping yourself by not having a good sharpshooter. No other class can deal with the heavy stuff so well. I am slowly working through the maps with a friend who bought KF recently, and we tear poo poo up with him as sharp and me as support or commando. On several occasions we have joined pubs and had to take on 250+ zeds after the rest of the team has wiped, with little trouble. Go handcannon/crossbow and you will do very well for yourself.
Having said that I much prefer support to sharpshooter so I can understand if you don't like the class. Maybe get one of your friends to go sharp?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Revitalized posted:

haha and pray tell, what would be the stalker kill count for 8 commando?

All of them :unsmigghh:

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Scyantific posted:

So it's pretty certain that Christmas zeds will be coming back, along with the Christmas achievements, right? I missed out on the Bad Santa thing last year and would definitely like to add to my character collection that I will never use because I've got COMMANDO CHICKEN which owns beyond all bones.

They probably will be back yes. I hope so anyway, the xmas zeds are fantastic and way too good to only be used once.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Trooper Clive Jenkins. No other.

(Except chicken man)

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Its everything I hoped it would be. Not only new weapons but new characters, new achievements a new MAP. Yay :dance:

Screw the complainer. He can sit there typing long spergy posts about how any change to anything is baaaad and the rest of us can play the game with the new stuff and have fun instead.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I'm glad the general consensus is that the new weapons are pretty good. Sadly I wont be able to try them myself for at least 12 hours or so :(
Any trip reports on the new map?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Just got a small-ish 15.4 mb patch. Maybe to fix the M4/M203 and M79 bug? Due to work commitments I still haven't gotten a chance to play this yet. It sucks.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Just joined the goony madness hard server. Get the gently caress in here and I will heal you!

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Glad they fixed the ammo sharing bug for the grenade launchers.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

So this Killing Floor update happened and it seems to have broken my game.

Have you tried verifying the game files?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Add KF_Defence :black101:

e: Also what counts as a tier 3 weapon? Is it any weapon you have to press 4 to use? I'm trying to get the "drop 3 tier 3 weapons" achievement.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 14, 2011

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Social Dissonance posted:

Could anyone give a rundown of any of the perks/classes that are completely useless for Suicide/HoE? I'm guessing Firebug just messes everyone's aim up completely and does nothing for damage. Likewise, I enjoy demolition, but I suspect they aren't as good either. Those are both of my favorite classes, but I don't want to end up grinding them up to find them non-viable for the "end" game.

Perk choice on higher difficulties is very dependent on the map in question and the strategy you want to use to beat it, but one of the great things about this game is that all perks have their different uses and niches, and all are useful in a variety of situations.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Thoughtless posted:

Firebug is considerably better at killing trash than any commando. He has bigger clips and full penetration for his range, meaning he hurts quite a few mobs at once instead of one at a time like the commando.

I also play a sharpshooter, and firebug doesn't really bother me. Demolitions is a lot worse as far as aim-screwing goes.

Ultimately both classes fulfil the same roles and neither class is clearly better than the other, they simply have different strengths and weaknesses which mean the deciding factor is personal preference more than anything.

While the firebug is probably the more effective trash mob killer he really suffers on higher difficulties due to his low ammo supply. You are pretty useless when the small amount of flame-thrower fuel you can carry has run out and you are reduced to only the mac-10, which has a pretty mediocre ammo supply itself. This is particularly true if the team is camping one spot and there are no ammo boxes nearby. The flame-thrower also takes an eternity to reload, at least at lower levels. The commando on the other hand can deal with the trash less effectively but he can keep firing all day, as he gets reload speed bonuses and can carry so much ammo it is rarely an issue.

You can also see health bars through smoke as a commando, so you at least know where to fire when your vision is obscured by a (bad) demo.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
^^^Sounds like you died and went to Zerker Heaven :allears:

RandolphCarter posted:

I finally hit level 5 commando. I think I'm going to cheat to level 6.

Just hit 5 as well and was thinking the same thing. Getting to 5 wasn't actually that painful for me though and I managed to reach the stalker kill requirement before the damage requirement. Prioritising the death of every stalker I saw with extreme prejudice and asking others on the server to leave stalkers for me seems to work. I'm going to set out to get to 6 legit and maybe SAM it if (when) I get bored.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I use dual HC's as a panic button of sorts when I get surrounded or in a tight spot. Press 2, crouch then mash m1. Not really useful if you're going for a super efficient ~optimal strategy~ though.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
e:f,b ^^ Uh, what that guy said.

Multiple pipes in the same area will only deal the damage of ~2 when they are detonated. This is to prevent huge spikes of damage one shotting the pat, among other game breaking things. This has been the case for well over a year but most KF players seem to be unaware and despite pleading and appeals to reason will place huge piles of the things in one spot, thereby wasting most of them.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
There were some posts a couple of pages back about improving general performance by editing the cfg file. I found this post on the steam forums which explains in more detail, and is full of useful tips. Maybe a good addition to the OP?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441247

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
The combat shotty is basically a pump shotty/aa12 combined, making something not quite as good as either. The clip is too small, reload takes an eternity and its expensive as hell. Which is a shame because it looks awesome and the sight is pretty good (as much as one can be on a shotgun). I like the magnum too but its certainly no handcannon replacement.

I think all the new weapons are fun to use, and are good for playing around with on lower difficulties when you arent really trying but they cant be relied on in a game you want to do well in. None of them see much use in suicidal and HoE thats for sure, barring one or two like the MP5.

In other news:

:dance:

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Koskinator posted:

How do you get that scrolling text of zed kills? I'd love to have that when I play.

Its a custom server mutator: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=51237

Takes No Damage posted:

and tell them This is Killing Floor Bitches.

Hell yeah! Also glad to see someone else using the commando chicken skin. It rules.

All this talk of newbies on suicidal/HoE servers has brought back some bad memories. One time on bioticslab HoE, I got to wave 9 with 3 really good players, and then some guy joined as a level 3 firebug. We already had a firebug, but that was of no concern to him! He naturally hosed down every FP and scrake he could find at the beggining of wave 10 and died almost immediately, causing a domino effect which ended in a team wipe not long after.

Thing is, it can be quite a time investment to get to the higher waves and there is so little room for error. This guy who was in the server for about 5 minutes total before he ragequit managed to devastate the entire hour-long game by himself. It would have been funny if it wasnt so demoralising.

Like with all online games KF is so much better with friends. I have since started playing sui/HoE only with friends on a server we own, and we have a zero tolerance policy regarding this poo poo.

Seriously, sui/HoE pubs :negative:

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Takes No Damage posted:

e2: KF instructional videos! This is what (probably) happens when people weld doors in your game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09o8OatD64E

Ahaha this guy is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=MPI5TcwQKc4

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Alteisen posted:

I honestly do think people should start on beginner, if only just to learn what their class can do and what not to blast at without getting to severely penalized. I mean last night me and a bud where jumping around normal servers to help newbies and it was hilarious, I especially enjoyed the commando with the axe who never bought armor or bullets, I did my best to keep him alive and actually succeeded.

We don't try to be belligerent though, we just try to say "hey man, try doing this and see if it works for you", some where pretty nice about it and had a good time.

Its great. Trying to keep four level 0's alive on hard by yourself adds a whole new dimension to the game. Recently on any given server there will be me and maybe one other person who knows what they are doing, but most new people are appreciative when you try to give them advice. One guy was saying he had been kicked from three games in a row, just because he was new. Hopefully by giving advice and, uh, being a decent human being some of them will stick around and become regular players.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Alteisen posted:

You mean pistols only right?

The LAR can kill anything short of a scrake or FP in one shot, it stuns husks to. This is on non SS classes I might add, seriously the LAR is amazing, best weapon in the entire game and its only 200 dosh.

Not to nitpick but as a non SS sirens take at least 2 to the head. Tricky target made worse by the screen shaking all the drat time.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I like the idea of improvised weapons made from tools or something. Given the general lack of guns in the UK it kinda makes sense too. Different ammo types could also be good, the firebug gets incendiary ammo for the mac 10 after all.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Its so frustrating when you survive an encounter like that with ~10 health and then a loving crawler comes out of nowhere and you're busy reloading and oh god gotta limp away and mash q switch to pistol quick nononono :(

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Yeah that. I'd love to get involved in one of these games but being in a GMT timezone means thats kinda hard.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
The team rarely stays in one place for very long when I'm playing Farm.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I'm actually okay with this. I'm absolutely not going to rebuy the game just for one skin, which in my opinion doesnt really look that great anyway, but the voice work is now in place to allow TW to make more characters in the future.

TW have gone about this in an odd way and the fan reaction is justified, but if it leads to more content I'm fine with it. More content is good.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I didn't find getting to Commando 6 that bad. It took a couple of weeks of playing normally while prioritising stalkers over any other enemy and the kill count roughly kept up with the damage requirement. I didn't feel the need to grind kills or anything. I guess if you're in a hurry you could just SAM it. I think commando is one of the best and most fun classes and one way or another well worth getting to 6. Your guns are so cheap and ammo is so plentiful you're a drat murder machine. Easily the most fun class.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

immortal flow posted:

I think the single best change they could make to KF and an excellent gameplay change for the sequel would be to increase the rate of zed spawning and the number of zeds that can exist at once the longer you stay in one spot.

So if you really want to hold a single chokepoint you'll have to work for it, but the game would be more lenient on teams that switch up location regularly.
Added bonus: strong teams can win the game faster instead of being limited by the spawn rate.

This is a great idea.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
It really should become part of the proper game. I really miss it if I play on a server without it.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Just got a Killing Floor update. The Portal 2 trader is back and so is the potato costing 70k. I havent checked if the gold potato in aperture is back but it probably is. Now would be a good time to get the related achievements (if you care about that sort of thing).

Killing Floor is also on sale again as part of the potato sack bundle on Steam.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Yup, you need to be playing a proper multiplayer game for it to register.

Wow grats dude. Time to reset all your classes and start again :haw:

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
If you do decide to get it (you should its great) make sure to read the tips for newbies in the OP before you get stuck in :)

E: Second post too

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 14, 2012

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
When the Portal 2 potato event ended last year the golden potato from the sealed room in Aperture and the 70k potato from the trader menu were both removed, making it impossible to get either achievement. The room on Aperture was still sealed and you could get in there for the extra guns but you definately couldnt get the achievement. I havent checked the room lately (seriously its a job to get in there) but the potato is almost certainly back now, what with all the other potato stuff being re-added.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
If the Sharp is a good shot and can consistently make headshots the M99 is a good choice. Medic should have a crossbow or M99 too. Do the Commando and Demo have any other classes at level four or above? As the other guy with some experience which class do you play?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Theres a couple of potentially interesting new achievements:

Fugly
Fugly-Kill one of each type of zed in one round (KSG Shotgun)

Spec Ops
Spec Ops-Kill 12 clots with one magazine without reloading (MK23)

Anyone know what is meant by a fugly-kill and a spec ops-kill?

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

An Actual Bear posted:

Just ignore the "Fugly" and "Spec Ops" parts and there's your answer.

Oh :saddowns: I hoped it was something cool.

Good to see the FAL is still ridiculously good. I thought TW might tone it down a bit when making it official but I dont think they did. Love that gun.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 7, 2012

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Thoughtless posted:

Even with the amazing new rifle, Commando feels like the weakest class. Not nearly as good at killing trash as firebug, still no good against fleshpounds or the patriarch, not as good at zed-time as berserker. Not to mention firebug also has a better version of seeing cloaked enemies: setting them on fire.

Doesn't help that he has the most tedious level requirements either. Basically what I'm saying is don't play commando, new players.

I was once like you. Commando probably is the weakest class at low levels and is a pain in the rear end to level. Having a large kill requirement on one specific type of fragile enemy was a bad idea. Still, if you stick with it Commando is a class of increasing returns and totally comes into its own at levels 5/6 when you become a Badass Zed Killing Machine(tm).

Pumpking posted:

Ultimately both classes fulfil the same roles and neither class is clearly better than the other, they simply have different strengths and weaknesses which mean the deciding factor is personal preference as much as anything.

While the firebug is probably the more effective trash mob killer he really suffers on higher difficulties due to his low ammo supply. You are pretty useless when the small amount of flame-thrower fuel you can carry has run out and you are reduced to only the mac-10, which has a pretty mediocre ammo supply itself. This is particularly true if the team is camping one spot and there are no ammo boxes nearby. The flame-thrower also takes an eternity to reload, at least at lower levels. The commando on the other hand can deal with the trash less effectively but he can keep firing all day, as he gets reload speed bonuses and can carry so much ammo it is rarely an issue.

You can also see health bars through smoke as a commando, so you at least know where to fire when your vision is obscured by a (bad) demo.

Cheap light-ish weapons, cheap plentiful ammo, reload bonus with all weapons allowing you to keep the pressure on at all times, and some leeway for off-classing (M32 with fast reload can be fun). Health bars let you know when to finish off stronger enemies without just pissing them off and let you know about that group of crawlers about to jump through the smoke at you. Also, its really goddamn fun.

Commando: best class. Play all day every day.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

az posted:

We're on hellride now.

I crashed out and when I rejoined it looked like everyone had left :(

Was fun though and I got to practice my demo skills. I'd be up for another game soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Not really. The chainsaw slows you down unlike other melee weapons so isnt very good for kiting, which is what a bezerker is basically for. Maybe its useful if you wedge yourself in a choke point with a medic buddy, I havent tried. It also used to be useful against the patriarch but they patched out that vulnerability recently.

I think the claymore is just a reskinned fire axe. Its fun to use but I prefer the axe. The claymore is also the first melee weapon you switch to when you press 1, which is annoying if you need to switch to the katana quickly.

• Locked thread