Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I like that I can play the SAGCCX releases on my computer or with my XBox using Plex and the files always just work, I don't have to computer janitor it into submission. Thanks, SAGCCX.

The Xbox supports h.264 just fine, so I don't see how this post is validation for using outdated codecs and a bad workflow. Seriously, I've seen videos encoded with x264 play on a refrigerator lcd. When it comes to the point where we're approaching being able to watch movies on a drat toaster it's pretty evident that video format compatibility isn't really an issue anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

MEAT! posted:

The Xbox supports h.264 just fine, so I don't see how this post is validation for using outdated codecs and a bad workflow. Seriously, I've seen videos encoded with x264 play on a refrigerator lcd. When it comes to the point where we're approaching being able to watch movies on a drat toaster it's pretty evident that video format compatibility isn't really an issue anymore.

OK, we get it. You've expressed your opinion and made your point four times over. A public forum is really not the place to be having this sort of discussion, as any help or advice you can offer would be just as effective via PMs or email.

As it is, you're stopping just short of saying "You guys are poo poo, and you're unfit to lick the boots of a master encoder such as myself." If that's not your intention, then you need to put more thought into how you're coming across.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I like that I can play the SAGCCX releases on my computer or with my XBox using Plex and the files always just work, I don't have to computer janitor it into submission. Thanks, SAGCCX.
How does it handle larger/higher quality files? I play stuff from my computer to my 360 via PS3 Media Server, and almost everything works fine except for episodes that are in super high quality (like the non-SAGCCX translated Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse) or ones that don't have the subtitles directly in the video (like Top Secret Mission: Golgo 13, which IIRC, wasn't done by SAGCCX either).

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

OK, we get it. You've expressed your opinion and made your point four times over. A public forum is really not the place to be having this sort of discussion, as any help or advice you can offer would be just as effective via PMs or email.

As it is, you're stopping just short of saying "You guys are poo poo, and you're unfit to lick the boots of a master encoder such as myself." If that's not your intention, then you need to put more thought into how you're coming across.

Wowee, you sure are taking a thing that was not aimed at you pretty personally! It's a discussion board and I'm talking about their release in their thread, how the hell is this not a place to talk about it?

I'm just trying to help them out since they expressed problems with their sources and putting out the videos in general. At any point univbee or Random Stranger could have said "naw, we're good with how we do things" and that would have been fine. I just appreciate what they're doing and wanted to see if I could help them improve.

But keep on white knighting dude, you're good at it!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Assuming you guys are ending up with a .srt or a .rear end file for your subs that you hard-sub into your videos during encoding, it should totally be possible to use MeGUI and its h264 compression. I can try to put up a guide tomorrow so you can give it a whirl, if you'd like? Or I can direct you to one of the guides on how to use MeGUI written by a Tech Support Fort regular over at Let's Play?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Wait, I share a birthday with Inoko MAX? That is rad as all hell. Happy birthday to us! :haw:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Nipponophile posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure MEAT! is being reasonable and you're kind of being a weirdo with this post???

I guess I should expect it because every time there's anything even remotely resembling any sort of criticism in this thread people take it real fuckin' personally but that doesn't make it any less weird. Be normal.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 8, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Assuming you guys are ending up with a .srt or a .rear end file for your subs that you hard-sub into your videos during encoding, it should totally be possible to use MeGUI and its h264 compression. I can try to put up a guide tomorrow so you can give it a whirl, if you'd like? Or I can direct you to one of the guides on how to use MeGUI written by a Tech Support Fort regular over at Let's Play?

The thought is appreciated but it's not really a lack of understanding how to do it that's the stumbling block. My flippant "workflow" aside, it really isn't a big deal to switch. It's solely a hesitation to change from something that works.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
B-b-b-but my codecs :qq:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You guys need to be anime as hell and do 10-bit encoding so that it won't properly run on anyone's machine straight out of the box.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Obeast posted:

How does it handle larger/higher quality files? I play stuff from my computer to my 360 via PS3 Media Server, and almost everything works fine except for episodes that are in super high quality (like the non-SAGCCX translated Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse) or ones that don't have the subtitles directly in the video (like Top Secret Mission: Golgo 13, which IIRC, wasn't done by SAGCCX either).

Apparently we don't use Plex, we use some media server built into our home NAS, which also allows us to use uPnP in VLC to watch videos on our laptops. It works on the episodes we have tried it with, though our home network bandwidth is not that high so the larger videos can stutter and lag a bit. The media server software doesn't have many settings so I can't increase the buffer size, which might solve that.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This would explain the terrible masters we have for some episodes...

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
If the file he's converting gets corrupted and Arino accidentally deletes the original, would that count as a continue fail?

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

flyboi posted:

B-b-b-but my codecs :qq:

It's more b-b-b-but my bandwidth cap.

Phone posted:

You guys need to be anime as hell and do 10-bit encoding so that it won't properly run on anyone's machine straight out of the box.

Jokes, the push for Hi10P was pretty retarded.

Ahahaha nice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Today in oblique hints theater: "How can the last three minutes of an episode be this much work?"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Today in oblique hints theater: "How can the last three minutes of an episode be this much work?"

*clears schedule for Sunday*

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Happy Birthday

inoko max &
CHIEF ARINO
& matsui

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

*clears schedule for Sunday*

Yes, but not for this episode. Mine will probably be a few days past that.

Gascoin really loves their cakes...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, but not for this episode. Mine will probably be a few days past that.

Gascoin really loves their cakes...

Wait, so will this be the start of a multiple episode release?!

Why, yes, I am suffering from a GCCX withdrawal. I'm resorting to reading the updates on the GBATemp thread.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I must admit I'm very curious about DKC2, it's my favorite SNES game and I know it inside out. Even several years since I played it last I wager I'd find 95% of DK Coins and bonuses on the first try, played that game shitloads. Mostly it'll be interesting to see if he'll struggle with the same levels I used to (Hot-Head Hop :argh:) Probably no Lost World for him though, those levels are brutal.

Of course, I'm only now getting to Season 9 in my re-watch so there's plenty of time even if we get something else. :v:

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

I got to meet Producer Kan when he was handing out business cards after a showing of the movie recently! Really nice guy in person, all the scary glaring at Arino on the show must just be work stress.

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!

Kanfy posted:

I must admit I'm very curious about DKC2, it's my favorite SNES game and I know it inside out. Even several years since I played it last I wager I'd find 95% of DK Coins and bonuses on the first try, played that game shitloads. Mostly it'll be interesting to see if he'll struggle with the same levels I used to (Hot-Head Hop :argh:) Probably no Lost World for him though, those levels are brutal.

Of course, I'm only now getting to Season 9 in my re-watch so there's plenty of time even if we get something else. :v:

Same here, I'm a big fan of DKC, so I'm looking forward to cringing through three straight episodes of DKC2.
I'm assuming that since they have three episodes, they didn't cut a lot of content? (ie Zelda OoT)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

While we wait for technical issues to clear up, I pose this question to you:

Kan, Abe, and Inoko MAX break down your door, kidnap you, and throw you into a conference room where you're not allowed to leave until you beat the game they give you. What game do you dread having to challenge?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Desert Bus.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Assuming internet access is out, I'm gonna go with La Mulana.

Have they ever done any Metroidvania-type games? I actually feel like if it weren't so godawfully brutal La Mulana would be fun to watch, since he seems better at puzzling things out than actiony stuff. (Or maybe because it's so brutal :getin:)

stupid loving chamber of birth

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

univbee posted:

Desert Bus.
"Continue nai?!"

Random Stranger posted:

Kan, Abe, and Inoko MAX break down your door, kidnap you, and throw you into a conference room where you're not allowed to leave until you beat the game they give you. What game do you dread having to challenge?
xenogearsAmagon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ciaphas posted:

Have they ever done any Metroidvania-type games? I actually feel like if it weren't so godawfully brutal La Mulana would be fun to watch, since he seems better at puzzling things out than actiony stuff. (Or maybe because it's so brutal :getin:)

Metroid, Blaster Master, Legacy of the Wizard (a game which heavily influenced La-Mulana), probably others I'm forgetting.

Milon's Secret Castle isn't a metroidvania per se, but it's full of similarly inscrutable junk.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Persona 1. That'd be a doozy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, I just spent the last bit while waiting for this DVD to burn playing Solomon's Key and getting as far as I ever have in the time that I've owned the thing.

Stage 10.

That'd be a candidate for sure.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Based on the discussion going on in its LP thread, I'd have to say getting what the thread has dubbed 'B-Ho' as my girlfriend in Tokimeki Memorial 2. (Let's just set the language barrier aside and focus on the game.) She's one of a pair of twins. Identical twins, both named Miho. Which you don't know, and they don't tell you for quite some time. Which one shows up for a given date is random, and telling which one showed up ranges from 'easy' to 'nearly impossible'. They have very different interests. They both have to like you, but 'B-Ho' has to like you more, to get her ending.

Did I mention that you're competing against two NPCs for the girls' affections, and if one of them decides to go after A-Ho (they won't go after B-Ho), it becomes literally impossible for you to raise both girls' affection enough? Or how much time passes between the NPCs deciding who they're going to pursue and telling you who they're pursuing?

I think I'd rather complete Front Mission 3. Both routes.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It's not retro, but the first FarCry game... To date, that's the only game I legitimately hate with a passion to the point where I'm highly hesitant to try the supposedly superior sequels. gently caress, I think Pac-Man on the 2600 is a better game and that's is considered to be one of the worst games ever made.

Alternatively, any game heavy in Japanese text (like a quiz game) with nobody to help translate it for me.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Obeast posted:

I'm highly hesitant to try the supposedly superior sequels.

Not to go on too big of tangent, but I hated the first and loved the two sequels. They are bargain bin games now, so I would at least give them a shot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Isn't Ubisoft releasing a Far Cry compilation soon?

EDIT: apparently it as supposed to be out a few weeks ago, no idea if it actually came out or not. EU version has FC1/2/3/Blood Dragon, NA version is PS3-exclusive and is missing FC1 for some reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 10, 2014

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Lifespan posted:

Not to go on too big of tangent, but I hated the first and loved the two sequels. They are bargain bin games now, so I would at least give them a shot.
Yeah that's what I've heard... I guess they're a lot more sandboxy and don't have stupid mutant jungle monsters thrown in halfway through the game that totally ruin the flow of the game (I didn't mind the monsters at first until I encountered some that reminded me of the Cyberdemons from Doom if they were regular enemies). Also, a lot of people say FarCry 3: Blood Dragon is actually better than FC3 itself, so I think I'd like to try that someday.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

Time Lord or Silver Surfer on NES or really anything LJN.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Any game that would require me to find out how to do something specific that requires a series of actions to be done. Without internet access I'd have quite the hard time as at the end of the day, I'm not a particularily patient gamer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Random Stranger posted:

A german roguelike.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Random Stranger posted:

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream or really any adventure game for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Counterpoint: How is it a kidnapping if I willingly go along with Abe?