Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

While we wait for technical issues to clear up, I pose this question to you:

Kan, Abe, and Inoko MAX break down your door, kidnap you, and throw you into a conference room where you're not allowed to leave until you beat the game they give you. What game do you dread having to challenge?

Getting the best/real ending to The Ooze on the Sega Genesis---the resets on missing the things you need to pick up for the ending would be a nigh infinite loop of regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Getting to World 9 on a vanilla copy of Super Mario Bros. 2 on the FDS (requires beating the game 24 times, although each time you play through the entire game without warping it counts as 3 clears).

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Kan, Abe, and Inoko MAX break down your door, kidnap you, and throw you into a conference room where you're not allowed to leave until you beat the game they give you. What game do you dread having to challenge?
Getting the good ending to Low G Man for the NES.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NGd1e_Jxyw

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The Cannes trip is a pretty funny episode to watch these days, what with the jokes about a GCCX movie and his attempts at promoting RETRO GAME MASTER.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MEAT! posted:

I have literally not seen a .ASF video being passed around since the 90s. That's hosed up. I wouldn't even fuckin' bother since Microsoft MPEG-4 v3 is the oldest trash. That really blows my mind. But naw, you can totally work with it with free stuff.

Here's a random rear end dragonball episode I found in the deep end of a hard drive that I probably downloaded when I was like 11 or something.

Then you can load that into VirtualDub if you want or just encode straight from the script.

Goku... :ohdear:

Now try pointing that to a video file with transparent encoding errors.

One video took about a week longer to encode because there were a few frames that AVIsynth refused to process correctly, but would do so in a way that didn't generate errors. What AVIsynth would do is shift the video track forward. The audio and subtitles would "stay put", so while they were in sync with each-other, they were now horribly late on the video. This happened with multiple variations on the AVIsynth script (which was just opening a file and not doing anything else); some filters behaved differently but all would give horrible sync errors somewhere in the file (which was only noticeable if you sat down and watched the whole thing). This happened encoding from VirtualDub and MeGUI; AVIsynth was what was screwing it up.

After a few days I discovered something absolutely baffling: there was one specific shot in the episode towards the end (like 10 minutes before the episode ended), basically where the desync occurred. If I opened the file in VirtualDub the following would happen:

- If I seeked to anywhere immediately after that shot and started playback, everything synchronized fine.
- If I seeked to within that shot or just before and then started playback, the horrible desync mentioned earlier would occur immediately following that clip. If I then stopped and started playback in VirtualDub, everything would "snap" back into place, but any encode job that went through that particular shot would desync.
- If you played the source file in most popular media players it never desynced. :psyduck:

I eventually found a commercial encoder that would encode that specific chunk without desyncing, and with the correct number of frames. The encoder had limited compression options but did have a few lossless options. A 3.5 gig video that was 7 seconds long later, I attempted to leverage the "clips" functions in AVISynth but would always run out of memory somehow on a 12 gig machine (although I think at least some of the elements at play were 32-bit so it probably hit the wall a lot earlier). I tried doing the same thing with a compressed version of that one clip but same thing, AVISynth would just poo poo itself entirely if I tried using multiple clips. This episode was dependent on other releases so I gave up, ran the whole thing through the earlier-mentioned commercial encoder using a stupidly-high bitrate to mitigate losses, and then did the final encode from that file. Much as I would have loved generating a lossless file from the commercial encoder, I didn't have the several terabytes that would have been required, and the encoder didn't have options to incorporate the subtitles or flexible-enough encoding options for getting decent output quality at a lower size. I tried different versions of AVISynth, including recent Alpha builds and the latest official build. I force-verified the video file just in case I had some corruption but the checksum was correct. A TS of this episode existed but never had a 100% complete seed. :negative:

I'd love to get an answer as to why the hell this was happening in case it happens again; I didn't want to use the commercial encoder and its less-than-ideal output anymore than you but it was the only thing I found that worked at all despite several days of trying/consulting online discussions. Feel free to PM me if you might have an idea for this; we legitimately try to get a good output quality wherever possible, and I'm working on standardizing a process for encoding which should make everyone happy, but like I said, every episode is a new challenge for encoding, and if we can't trust AVIsynth's output (again, I lost days of time which could have been avoided if it just errored out in the first place) that makes things exponentially harder.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 11, 2014

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Found 2 GCCX related videos on YouTube. Can someone give me a basic summary of the videos. The talk show one looks OK, but the 1st video seems really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW5xMozxVYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKI64vy41WU

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

univbee posted:

Getting to World 9 on a vanilla copy of Super Mario Bros. 2 on the FDS (requires beating the game 24 times, although each time you play through the entire game without warping it counts as 3 clears).

Wait a minute, I remember the Super Mario Bros. 2 challenge on GCCX and when they invited the boy who beat the game, he got to the end without warping and gave it to Arino (who beat Bowser of course), and it went straight to world 9.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zebia posted:

Wait a minute, I remember the Super Mario Bros. 2 challenge on GCCX and when they invited the boy who beat the game, he got to the end without warping and gave it to Arino (who beat Bowser of course), and it went straight to world 9.

That may have changed in later years, but in the early days they were definitely playing secondhand copies (I remember Takeshi's Castle they talked about how much the game cost), I suspect they just had a well-used copy of the game (I don't think there's any built-in functionality to reset all progress); you don't have to do it all in one go. Each time you "clear" it it adds a flashing star to the title screen which persists through power outs (and you get 3 for clearing the game warpless). Remember one of the main reasons for putting out the FDS was to allow saving, which cartridges weren't letting them do at the time. Once there are 24 stars the game will let you do World 9.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

univbee posted:

That may have changed in later years, but in the early days they were definitely playing secondhand copies (I remember Takeshi's Castle they talked about how much the game cost), I suspect they just had a well-used copy of the game (I don't think there's any built-in functionality to reset all progress); you don't have to do it all in one go. Each time you "clear" it it adds a flashing star to the title screen which persists through power outs (and you get 3 for clearing the game warpless). Remember one of the main reasons for putting out the FDS was to allow saving, which cartridges weren't letting them do at the time. Once there are 24 stars the game will let you do World 9.

Aren't you thinking of Worlds A through D? I could have sworn 9 was just from beating the game warpless in the FDS version.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Aren't you thinking of Worlds A through D? I could have sworn 9 was just from beating the game warpless in the FDS version.

Wasn't A-D only in the SNES remake?

I have a feeling I'm going to lose my gamer cred real soon. :ohdear:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

univbee posted:

Wasn't A-D only in the SNES remake?

I have a feeling I'm going to lose my gamer cred real soon. :ohdear:

Nah, A-D exist in the FDS version. And you only need eight stars to unlock it. World 9 is accessed through no warping.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Arino roughing up a staff member while Tojima watches.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful

Kakaricho posted:

So not only is Arino a comedian gamer, he's a martial artist too! He never ceases to amaze.

Can't wait for the new translated episodes, been so long since I last had my fill of Arino.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
GXXC3 got 8/8/8/8 in Famitsu, for those who care. The original got 9/8/8/8, no idea about GCCX2.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
GCCX 2 also got a 9/8/8/8

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Kakaricho posted:

Eugh. Interlacing artifacts. I hate when those show up, especially in video that's already compressed enough they're impossible to remove. Even if the video's clean, the correct pulldown pattern often wanders around randomly, and when a video's longer than a minute or so I often wind up just saying 'gently caress it' and bilinear-resizing it to half the height, then back again.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

FredMSloniker posted:

Eugh. Interlacing artifacts. I hate when those show up, especially in video that's already compressed enough they're impossible to remove. Even if the video's clean, the correct pulldown pattern often wanders around randomly, and when a video's longer than a minute or so I often wind up just saying 'gently caress it' and bilinear-resizing it to half the height, then back again.

Can't tell if you're joking. Bravo!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

a_big_dog posted:

Can't tell if you're joking. Bravo!

It's a serious gripe, though not about SA-GCCX's work. I encode a lot of videos for use elsewhere, and when I run across one that's got some weird encoding, like an interlaced frame pattern that goes AABBCCDECD or something, it's frustrating. I understand that SA-GCCX doesn't have a choice about how the masters they work from are encoded, so when I run into an episode that's got bad interlacing like that, I apply a little blur and get on with my life. I just had reason to struggle over an interlacing issue recently (a 30 FPS video that was really 60 FPS interlaced and needed to be rendered at 25 FPS, so bob deinterlacing made the screen shake like crazy), and I guess I still had some gripe in me.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Someone posted a playthrough of the 3rd GCCX 3DS demo game on YouTube. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGITT-1Lls

joek0 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 15, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

First, a huge thanks to MEAT! for PMing me and helping us out with a nightmare of an encode, because the source file had some weirdness going on that I was bashing my head against for like a week, resulting in about 50 gigs of intermediary files and 30-odd different encodes with various types of suck in them before he found a way to make the file not desync horribly or crash on output. Note that these problems were unrelated to encoding in x264 (they started before that discussion), they were "getting an encode at all" problems.

Arino is at Budokan! Remembering my old-school games, Arino must challenge increasingly difficult martial arts masters and will probably get into Game Over Hell with the guy wielding the tonfas...

or was it that he must complete classic challenges with a crowd of 7000 onlookers cheering him on? A challenge so spectacular it took a week just to encode!

Subbed by Kakaricho (his first release with us)! Timed by Gutcruncher.

Get it now! (Mega, 1.12 GB)

Also new and improved:

Right here is both the subtitle file for those of you who want softer subs, and an AVISynth script if you want to do your own encode your way.

Subtitle file

Now, I'm going out and buying myself a celebratory case of Sapporo beer.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 16, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Going to be worth the wait for sure, big thanks to y'all for your hard work.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Looking forward to the torrent! (My connection isn't good enough to download a file that big from Mega, sadly.)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Wow, yay. Thank you SAGCCX team!

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

impulse 7 effect fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 22, 2018

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

univbee posted:

Arino is at Budokan! Remembering my old-school games, Arino must challenge increasingly difficult martial arts masters and will probably get into Game Over Hell with the guy wielding the tonfas...

or was it that he must complete classic challenges with a crowd of 7000 onlookers cheering him on? A challenge so spectacular it took a week just to encode!

Get it now! (Mega, 1.12 GB)

This was subbed by Kakaricho (his first release with us), and he did a fine job! Timed by Gutcruncher.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Good job to everyone involved. I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Good thing I cleared my schedule for this sunday as well! Thank you for the whole team, especially Kakaricho for your first sub for SA-GCCX!

makere
Jan 14, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

Looking forward to the torrent! (My connection isn't good enough to download a file that big from Mega, sadly.)

Here you go: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=533075

I took the liberty of renaming the file to bit more in line with other :filez:

makere fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 16, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zari-gani posted:

This was subbed by Kakaricho (his first release with us), and he did a fine job! Timed by Gutcruncher.

So that's what I was forgetting in my post. :doh: Fixed.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Is there anything new in the Budokan Recap compared to the special itself?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

This was subbed by Kakaricho (his first release with us)and he did a fine job! Timed by Gutcruncher.

Thank you! But it wasn't without a lot edits and help from you and Hirayuki, Gutcruncher's timing, and of course, the labors of Hercules univbee went through encoding it.

univbee posted:

So that's what I was forgetting in my post. :doh: Fixed.

No worries, given the curve balls this encode put you through simply posting "Here it is! Watch it, damnit!" would have been okay to me. I'm a Sapporo drinker myself (Classic when available, Black Label when not), so drink and enjoy!

And thanks to those of you who enjoyed the episode, being at the Budokan show was probably the most fun event I'll ever attend, I'm glad I was able to help share that fun with you all. Hopefully I'll be translate more fun times in the future as well!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Is there anything new in the Budokan Recap compared to the special itself?

You get to see what a lot of the staff went though preparing for it (to and past the wire), how much they bet on the show succeeding based on quick-and-frankly-irrational decisions, and what a lot of them had to say right after the got off stage. If it's not on the Budokan DVD, it'll be a crime, in my opinion.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I absolutely loved everything about the special.

When Ogawa made his last sprint to the first place, I was literally jumping off my chair. The SMB challenge took quite long but the payoff was awesome. He truly went under again.

All the performances were brilliant, too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

I absolutely loved everything about the special.

Tsuruoka has pretty much the best pick-up line ever now.

"Yeah, I played my guitar in front of 7000 cheering fans at Budokan!" :smug:

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

univbee posted:

Tsuruoka has pretty much the best pick-up line ever now.

"Yeah, I played my guitar in front of 7000 cheering fans at Budokan!" :smug:

Maybe tied with Nakayama saying "I'm literally famous for being shy, but I've put an Elvis suit on and sung together with 7000 people at the Budokan"

Ponkaron

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Sweet Jesus, they sure did drag the gently caress out of the Super Mario Bros. part. Feels like it makes up like an entire hour of the special. It was tense as hell and still enjoyable, but I still kind of wish they struck more of a balance.

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012
That was amazing. Thanks for all your hard work!

I did find it a bit baffling how Arino can be so good against Piston Honda, yet fail completely against Soda Popinski. It's not like his timings are really any harder. Nerves, I guess.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

El-Bonko posted:

That was amazing. Thanks for all your hard work!

I did find it a bit baffling how Arino can be so good against Piston Honda, yet fail completely against Soda Popinski. It's not like his timings are really any harder. Nerves, I guess.

I didn't find it baffling at all. For me, Popinski is the first hard opponent in Punch-Out. Some of his punches launch pretty fast. I really thought Arino would make it, although since your stamina is so low in that fight I knew that Arino's style of wasting it when the enemy is blocking will bite him - and it did.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Sweet Jesus, they sure did drag the gently caress out of the Super Mario Bros. part. Feels like it makes up like an entire hour of the special. It was tense as hell and still enjoyable, but I still kind of wish they struck more of a balance.

The documentary explains what a gamble extending the SMB challenge was, and how it barely worked out for their time limit. Pretty dramatic in context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I really hope the making of gets translated. The Lemmings one was really good, and I'd love to see what goes into putting together something this big.

Who sang Kacho Fighter?