Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
For anyone that hasn't, I would strongly recommend getting the newly translated Retro Game Challenge 2 and play through the Adventure Game. It is a complete fan tribute, and they do a pretty good job fictionalizing some of the characters real life into the game. Like Tojima who's in the US training, or Kan who's never around. Even the main plot of the story where Kibe, the culprit in the story, takes over the Love & Game organization to bring down the Gamecon (famicom). He's mad because his father owned the factory that produced the rival console (nod to his loving the Sega Master System), and that was bought out by Game Center CX Industries, who specialize in the Gamecon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

cubeboy posted:

For anyone that hasn't, I would strongly recommend getting the newly translated Retro Game Challenge 2 and play through the Adventure Game. It is a complete fan tribute, and they do a pretty good job fictionalizing some of the characters real life into the game. Like Tojima who's in the US training, or Kan who's never around. Even the main plot of the story where Kibe, the culprit in the story, takes over the Love & Game organization to bring down the Gamecon (famicom). He's mad because his father owned the factory that produced the rival console (nod to his loving the Sega Master System), and that was bought out by Game Center CX Industries, who specialize in the Gamecon.
I beat the Ace Detective games on the very first version released, and got a kick out of Kibe being the main antagonist trying to make every Gamecon fail to make his father's company's console succeed since I'm pretty sure that person would do that in real life if they went back in time to change history (I hope that didn't give away too much about the Ace Detective games :shobon:). I dunno how much they fixed/changed in the newest version, but playing the Ace Detective games on the first version of the translation made me smile more than anything due to how many references to the show there were. :)

Also for anyone playing RGC2 for the first time, I highly recommend doing the Ace Detective games as the final games during the final challenge where you're tasked to (likely a big RGC2 spoiler, but I'm sure anyone who has played the first game likely knows what I'm about to say) see the ending for every game since it feels like a more proper ending to RGC2's story mode with how much it ties in with the actual show.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

cubeboy posted:

Like Tojima who's in the US training, or Kan who's never around. Even the main plot of the story where Kibe, the culprit in the story, takes over the Love & Game organization to bring down the Gamecon (famicom). He's mad because his father owned the factory that produced the rival console (nod to his loving the Sega Master System), and that was bought out by Game Center CX Industries, who specialize in the Gamecon.

I personally like the fact that Arino gets accidentally roped into participating in a wrestling match in the second part, considering he's also been in this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585949

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The GCCX movie was released on DVD and blu-ray today, here's a look at what it looks like.
The stickers are for the big postcard that came with the Budokan DVD.

http://imgur.com/a/G0zMl

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
Well,the important question here is: has it english subs? And why not? :-)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

According to Amazon.co.jp, English subtitles are not included on the DVD or bluray.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

English subtitles are extraordinarily rare on Japanese DVD's except for mainstream Hollywood films and Ghibli titles, and it's actually getting rarer because Japan and the U.S. share a region code for Blu-ray discs. By and large, Japanese movie studios hate people importing movies that are viewable out-of-the-box in either direction; Japan-to-USA because it lowers the potential value to companies bidding for overseas distribution rights, and USA-to-Japan because the US charges way less for home media than Japan does. There are movies where the Japanese region-locked DVD has subtitles while the Blu-ray (which can't be locked to the degree they would want) doesn't.

None of this makes any rational sense and the fact that Japanese stuff is ripped and subtitled very quickly after Japanese release is irrelevant. But it's how it is.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

WesY2K posted:

Well,the important question here is: has it english subs? And why not? :-)

No subs at all, pretty standard for Japanese releases.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
drat, now I have to watch the AVGN Movie First :)

Oh, well. I am pretty sure One Day we will be able to enjoy that movie in a language I am able to understand.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Lack of subtitles aside, the "Making of" special feature is fantastic, I had to pause it several times I was laughing so much.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is it better than the movie?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Is it better than the movie?

It complements it. The movie wasn't a comedy, but had a lot of humorous moments. Hearing the staff talk/complain about making the movie, especially Abe complaining about what a tight-wad Director Tojima was makes the movie better (like a good Director's Commentary does).

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Unrelated, but in the amusing spirit of some of the classic GCCX Interviews with historical figures in the games industry: A new documentary mini-series, subtitled in English, focusing on the history of Music in Games that seems to be really, really good based on the first episode here:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.jp/jp/magazine/digging-in-the-carts

Pac-Man composer interview segment is the best and super-endearing, but the rest is no slouch either.

Some video slowdown at times, though that could just be something wonky on my end or the site's as it was one I'd never heard of prior.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I'm going to TGS this month, and Kan was kind enough to order me a business day pass representing GCCX. Huzzah!

I also got an adorable Chief Arino keychain which is, oddly enough, Metcha Ike merchandise from Fuji TV, not Gascoin.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
NINA I NEED ONE. (that's so cool though, really!)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Caitlin posted:

NINA I NEED ONE. (that's so cool though, really!)

I looked it up and it's based on some Amoeba Pigg mobile game promoting Metcha Ike at the Odaiba event.

Notice that there is no regular Arino, just the Chief.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Honestly I also kind of need that game it looks pretty amazing what with the giant poo.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

zari-gani posted:

I looked it up and it's based on some Amoeba Pigg mobile game promoting Metcha Ike at the Odaiba event.

Notice that there is no regular Arino, just the Chief.

Is that Egashira 2:50?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I'm going to TGS this month, and Kan was kind enough to order me a business day pass representing GCCX. Huzzah!

I also got an adorable Chief Arino keychain which is, oddly enough, Metcha Ike merchandise from Fuji TV, not Gascoin.

I think by accepting that badge you're obligated to get Arino past the level five boss.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

I think by accepting that badge you're obligated to get Arino past the level five boss.

Pretty sure it means she beat Brock in a Pokemon battle.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
It probably reflects lightning attacks, too!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Caitlin posted:

Honestly I also kind of need that game it looks pretty amazing what with the giant poo.

Why does it have a tiara? :negative:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

Arino looks like he was a character in Theathrhythm Final Fantasy, which now makes me want him as DLC in the upcoming sequel. Both of those games were made by indies zero, who made the first two GCCX games, so it wouldn't be impossible. :shobon:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zari-gani posted:

Amoeba Pigg

Hahah, I only know this exists because of NPCs chatting about it in Yakuza 4. Thanks, Sega!

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Man, if I weren't occupied that weekend I'd totally go to TGS this year.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I'm going to TGS also, you're going on the business days? I got a ticket for Sunday.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

makere posted:

I'm going to TGS also, you're going on the business days? I got a ticket for Sunday.

Just a business day. I'm assuming it'll be ever so slightly less crowded than a public day.

Obeast posted:

Arino looks like he was a character in Theathrhythm Final Fantasy, which now makes me want him as DLC in the upcoming sequel. Both of those games were made by indies zero, who made the first two GCCX games, so it wouldn't be impossible. :shobon:

Now I'm sad because this will never happen.

ETA: Whoa, today is my 10th year as a goon. :toot:

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 5, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zari-gani posted:

Amoeba Pigg

????

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hahah, I only know this exists because of NPCs chatting about it in Yakuza 4. Thanks, Sega!

Have you heard of 777 Town? You can play pachinko online!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The full version of Yoshi's Island and the Director's Cut of the Cambodia trip have been (somewhat) confirmed for DVD box 11.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=489986

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Arino showed up as a guest panelist on the August 27 episode of NHK's Science for Everyone (ためしてガッテン!). I think it aired a week later on TV Japan in the States, at least. I haven't watched all of it yet--just long enough to shout when Arino came onscreen--but it's about new potatoes, and he was his usual charming self right out of the gate.

Meltycat
May 20, 2006

Melty and adorable!

Does anyone have information on if Arino will be present at TGS this year, or any other GCCX-related hints for anyone who might be able to go? Are there any events in the general timeframe (September/October)? Somebody mentioned in the last page that there was a DVD box coming out in December with an Akihabara release on the "20th" -- I'm assuming that's December 20th, but just making sure.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

All I know is that Kan won't be cashiering this year, because he'll be out of town during the TGS weekend.

The DVD releases always happen in December near Christmas, with an event in Akihabara.

ETA: Here's some of the new merchandise. More coming soon.

Youtube style Kacho On! shirt - 3,240 yen

The back looks like a Dragon Quest password input screen. It says "He lost weight" and "I wanna play this till I wither."

Fried rice plate & spoon set - 2,808 yen

Pencil case - 864 yen

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 10, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
That pencil case owns.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Awesome shirt. My 9 year old daughter would love that pencil case since she is super into buying pencils and erasers all the time. She also started watching the show last week when I'm watching it.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
I like the back of the shirt.. though the front sorta reminds me of the YouTube logo :S Anyhoo~ what would be the likelyhood of a translation of the Dynamite Headdy or Captain Tsubasa episodes coming down the pike in the near future?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Jakespeare posted:

I like the back of the shirt.. though the front sorta reminds me of the YouTube logo :S

You don't say.

zari-gani posted:

Youtube style Kacho On! shirt - 3,240 yen

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 10, 2014

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'm in love with that plate. Want.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an official Arino Mii for the Wii U I can get somewhere or was that just a 3DS thing?

Or other staff members too, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next challenge is Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi.

Also, there's a new segment called Game Center MSX, about (you guessed it) the MSX computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Dancer:_The_Secret_of_Shinobi