Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

He mocks us with his generous wares :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FanofPortals posted:

He mocks us with his generous wares :argh:

Just for that, I'm not releasing it tonight.

Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Just for that, I'm not releasing it tonight.

Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

But how could I possibly blast it in the rec room and blow peoples' minds over a new release if it isn't even released yet?

Just kidding. Pretty sure nobody I'm in common proximity with knows the series exists. Maybe if I had a new release to show them...

Are any of these working yet? Are my thinly veiled attempts at getting you to release the next episode convincing enough? Please? Also, what happened for the DDL for Tant-R?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was watching the Child-rearing Quiz episode again and I gotta ask, what's the deal with Yui's glasses? Arino constantly makes jokes about it and is very happy that she gets rid of them. Is he worried his child will turn out as a huge nerd? (I dunno what's a good translation for otaku)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Azazell0 posted:

I was watching the Child-rearing Quiz episode again and I gotta ask, what's the deal with Yui's glasses? Arino constantly makes jokes about it and is very happy that she gets rid of them. Is he worried his child will turn out as a huge nerd? (I dunno what's a good translation for otaku)

The meaning of otaku is shut-in. (Lit. "house")

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 31, 2014

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Hokuto posted:

The meaning of otaku is shut-in. (Lit. "house")

I'm pretty sure that Otaku is nerd and hikikomori is shut-in.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

As posted a few days ago, it's been translated a few times. Easiest to get your hands on would probably be the version in the Sega Classics Collection for the PS2.

As for it's party game nature, they did do a Tant-R tournament with the staff for the DVD version...

True, but I was hoping to play it on my everdrive :)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Translating otaku as nerd or shut-in is kind of like translating samurai as knight, they have similarities but are definitely not the same thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The season of evil is upon us and Dracula has risen from his grave. Can Arino escape the shadow the vampire as he plays Nosferatu?

This episode was translated by zari-gani, and wonderfully checked by Hirayuki who took care of it hours before leaving on vacation just so you guys could have this today.

Download the torrent.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

It truly is a happy Halloween :D

Thanks for all the time, effort and care you guys n' gals put into these episodes. It's definitely appreciated :)

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Oh sweet! I totally forgot about this challenge. Thanks for the new episode :D

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the release! Downloading it now, I'm gonna go out but I'll leave it seeding once it's done to help the bottleneck.

Played this game quite recently actually, it's fun and the atmosphere is good, but man, the controls ... well, I can't wait to see how Arino fares.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

univbee posted:

Translating otaku as nerd or shut-in is kind of like translating samurai as knight, they have similarities but are definitely not the same thing.

This is true. For the purposes getting the general message across, otaku is usually translated as nerd/geek/shut-in/etc. depending on context, but overall it means someone who is so fanatic about something, they live in their own head and become socially inept.

The type of glasses Yui wears with the swirls in the lens is basically an anime shortcut for super-thick otaku glasses. Outside of Japan, Melvin from Sailor Moon is the most famous example.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Did somebody say swirly glasses? :haw:

For some reason, I thought Nosferatu had already been translated! I remember watching it before. May as well watch it again to see the subbed version. :)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

This is true. For the purposes getting the general message across, otaku is usually translated as nerd/geek/shut-in/etc. depending on context, but overall it means someone who is so fanatic about something, they live in their own head and become socially inept.

Several years ago in college, I had a conversation with my Japanese instructor after class because she had heard one of my classmates call herself an "otaku". I had to explain that some people use it as a shorthand for "anime fan" since she was appalled and bewildered that someone would refer to themselves that way.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh lord, what a great episode. Great arcade trip (those old guys were crackin' me up), great fights and loved the female trio in the end. Can't wait for part 2.

edit: Also WATANABEEEEEE

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 31, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's time for the epic conclusion to Nosferatu! Can Arino save the day and the girl or will it be la Dia de los Muertos for him?

Once more this episode was translated by Zari-gani and this time the checking was done by the helpful Kakaricho!

Download the torrent

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

An extra dose of Kacho eye candy! :clint:

Thanks once more to the SA-GCCX crew.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's kind of hard for me to tell without playing it but man Nosferatu looks cool as hell

Beating the entire game without knowing about the stage select seems like it'd be ridiculous though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

It's kind of hard for me to tell without playing it but man Nosferatu looks cool as hell

I found the control scheme to be really flaky (I think the animations just aren't as clear as Prince of Persia's which makes things trickier to control) and the level design to not be that great, myself. Seeing it in snippits and highlights makes it seem better, in my view.

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Ahh, thanks for the double release! Just watched the first one, great episode.

"That looks like a trap, I shouldn't step on it." *Proceeds to step on it over and over 8 times*

Kirbychwan fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 2, 2014

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Am I the only one who thinks that it's kind of bullshit that Arino failed the challenge due to what is basically sheer bad luck (as well as not knowing how to get the best ending)? Also, it just hit me that Nosferatu is basically Prince of Persia + Karateka but with vampires.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Abe was robbed.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Simon The Digger posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that it's kind of bullshit that Arino failed the challenge due to what is basically sheer bad luck (as well as not knowing how to get the best ending)?

Nope, it was Street Fighter II all over again for me.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thanks for the new releases, they were fun to watch. I agree with the above statements.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

Abe was robbed.

This is the true outrage of the episode.

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.

Katana Gomai posted:

Abe was robbed.

What exactly happened that it didn't register? It looked like it landed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Simon The Digger posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that it's kind of bullshit that Arino failed the challenge due to what is basically sheer bad luck (as well as not knowing how to get the best ending)? Also, it just hit me that Nosferatu is basically Prince of Persia + Karateka but with vampires.

Yes, but it made for a funny ending so I didn't care.

Katana Gomai posted:

Abe was robbed.

Abe refuses to abide by the Marquis of Queensbury rules. He fights to survive and win.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Jolopy posted:

What exactly happened that it didn't register? It looked like it landed.
He got a running start at the target, which isn't allowed; you're supposed to just stand there and punch.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
The Nosferatu episodes were a lot of fun, and it made me want to watch the Prince of Persia one again. Thanks for another release!

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Excellent episode but drat, that was a pretty cruel jab at Watanabe, even for this show. Hate it when Arino makes jabs at her expense, seems so unlike him.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Guw posted:

Excellent episode but drat, that was a pretty cruel jab at Watanabe, even for this show. Hate it when Arino makes jabs at her expense, seems so unlike him.

While I can't say this with absolute certainty, I'm pretty sure that I've heard several times that Arino (that is the comedian Arino, not Chief Arino) is an insult comic, or at least something similar. If that is indeed the case, it would be very much like him to keep taking jabs at Watanabe, and it explains why people accept it so easily - they know that's his schtick.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I finally finished the Nosferatu two parter tonight. I know I say this a lot, and it's definitely true, but you guys did another amazing job (or jobs since it was a two parter?). :)

Also, whoever did the pictures for the posts about both episodes being released did an amazing job! :D

UP AND ADAM posted:

The Nosferatu episodes were a lot of fun, and it made me want to watch the Prince of Persia one again. Thanks for another release!
Same here... I remember watching those long ago back in the pre-SAGCCX days when TV-Nihon were the only main translation team behind the show. I do kinda remember how it ended, so that won't be a surprise to me. But, I'm still tempted to rewatch it just to see Arino struggle with PoP's controls in the beginning since that game (and it's various ports and remakes, including Prince of Persia Classic that came out on XBLA and maybe PSN a few years back) feels really weird if you're used to more traditional platformers like Mario or Sonic.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Abe's true power remains a mystery. Maybe that was his plan all along.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
They need to plan an entire Arcade trip solely around creating an opportunity for Abe to unleash upon a Punchmania Hokuto no Ken or Ashita no Joe machine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

Also, whoever did the pictures for the posts about both episodes being released did an amazing job! :D

Well obviously zari-gani did those pictures.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Unrelated, but in the amusing spirit of some of the classic GCCX Interviews with historical figures in the games industry: A new documentary mini-series, subtitled in English, focusing on the history of Music in Games that seems to be really, really good based on the first episode here:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.jp/jp/magazine/digging-in-the-carts

Pac-Man composer interview segment is the best and super-endearing, but the rest is no slouch either.

Some video slowdown at times, though that could just be something wonky on my end or the site's as it was one I'd never heard of prior.

Quoting from ages ago, but thanks for this, these are amazing

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Anybody know a good episode with a lot of interaction between Arino and the staff and/or one with a good tamage?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

PureRok posted:

Anybody know a good episode with a lot of interaction between Arino and the staff and/or one with a good tamage?

Any of the quiz games except maybe the Child Rearing Quiz game are good for staff interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I really want to play Castle Vania 3 now. Honestly Arino did much better than I thought he would.