Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DVD's in Japan are outrageously expensive, to the point where the GCCX DVD's are actually relatively good value in Japan when compared to what a lot of other stuff sells for. To put things in perspective, I lived there when the first batch of GCCX DVD's came out, and at the time things like a single season of 24 cost $250 to buy. That's not a mistake, two hundred and fifty dollars for a single season. It also wasn't unheard of for a DVD which had one half-hour episode to cost $60 or even up to like $90. The sort of trade-off is that the rental market was generally quite good, so unless you were very very obsessed with a particular thing and had to own it, most people would just rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Great episode team! I found this one generally entertaining.

Kakaricho posted:

The Cho Aniki challenge had too many bugs

- A boss didn't appear, and Arino accidentally reset the game mashing buttons

- The CD just stopped spinning, requiring a reset.

- When adjusting a sound cord, they hit the adapter, resetting it again.

Eventually they gave up for the day and had him challenge only the last boss two weeks later, before the next challenge, so it'll be a double-header

It was nice being able to understand what was going on with the pachinko arcade machine where he spent 700yen to get a prize. I loved that when he finally won a prize I thought to myself "he's totally going to get a box of candy cigarettes", and sure enough, he did. I also love how the show randomly throws in famous songs within the show, like how they played star wars for a bit after he finally won the prize.
One question, the candy store owner at the end, what was his story? Did he end up making that pachinko game?

King Vidiot posted:

Don't know what you're talking about because I'm in the US and have literally never seen a real-life Metal Slug cabinet.
I was going to say that in the 90s it was super common to see Metal Slug... but now that I really think about it, it was common that I would see the Neo Geo multi-select (almost always with 4 games). It seemed to be a lot Bust-A-Move, Top Players Golf, and Art of Fighting mixed in with some Metal Slug.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 20, 2016

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

Actually, scrap my guess, Kan just tweeted the content of the upcoming Genesis/Mega Drive DVD

Disc 1
Gunstar Heroes
Strider Hiryu
Mansion of Hidden Souls

Disc 2
Dynamite Headdy
Pulseman
Comix Zone

Un-aired bonus challenge
Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Goods
Arino business card/holder
Genesis/Mega Drive paper craft

Hmmm, that being the case, i'm not entirely sure. For some reason, i latched onto Strider II, but i doubt it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

univbee posted:

DVD's in Japan are outrageously expensive, to the point where the GCCX DVD's are actually relatively good value in Japan when compared to what a lot of other stuff sells for. To put things in perspective, I lived there when the first batch of GCCX DVD's came out, and at the time things like a single season of 24 cost $250 to buy. That's not a mistake, two hundred and fifty dollars for a single season. It also wasn't unheard of for a DVD which had one half-hour episode to cost $60 or even up to like $90. The sort of trade-off is that the rental market was generally quite good, so unless you were very very obsessed with a particular thing and had to own it, most people would just rent.

Yeah, I think this has come up before. Is it the same with CD's then if you try to buy directly from various retailers?

Is there a similar used DVD/CD market than there is for games?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bookoff has huge amounts of DVDs but to be honest I've never once checked the prices.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

Yeah, I think this has come up before. Is it the same with CD's then if you try to buy directly from various retailers?

Absolutely, though GCCX DVD's are kind of specialty items so the price stays kind of high. The earlier box sets on Amazon.co.jp Marketplace are around 3000 yen while more recent ones are still over 5000 yen when the boxes retail for around 6000 yen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

Yeah CD's can be $30-40 easily.

Both items have a very plentiful used market, which drive the prices down for a lot of things but not everything, and not necessarily significantly.

CD's and DVD's are a bit anomalous rental-wise in Japan because studios and labels were actually successful in making distinct sale-only and rental-only items, so they can have different availability timings (usually earlier than the sales copies, but some specialty things like GCCX do the opposite and the rental versions are a later release to give the sales-only copies an exclusivity window) and the discs might have different features (usually the rental version will be very light on extra content or have none, compared to the sale-only version).

From outside of Japan now, I think the best way to get secondhand versions of things is from the Amazon marketplace using Tenso, but this is almost certainly not cost-effective for only one item; I usually throw in a random thing whenever I'm ordering something else and consolidate the order, so I pay $20ish for something instead of $40-60.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
As if the prices of CDs in Japan weren't enough (the new Otome Shinto album will be worth all the money damnit) a ton of them come from studio producers that love to loudness-war mix, especially depressing when the TV version of the theme was fine and normal. You end up with something that tires your ears and brains and it also sounds like poo poo no matter what.

I believe the high price of media came from bad business routes, instead of factory-distributor-store-customer in Japan it was more like factory-endless chain of middlemen-store-customer? And you cannot easily suddenly set the prices to something normal after that long. Over here in Sweden NES titles cost up to 699 SEK in the 80's, SNES went up to 749 (but that was because of an illegal cartel of theirs) and it took until the last generation of consoles for games to start releasing at 599 RRP, towards the end.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Doesn't everyone in Japan just buy import CDs? Hence the Japan only bonus track on every album.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

cubeboy posted:

One question, the candy store owner at the end, what was his story? Did he end up making that pachinko game?

In his 20s, the owner of the store rented, sold and even collaborated in making those kinds of game machines. At his peak, he was renting 800 machines to hotels in Atami.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 20, 2016

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I finally got around to watching the Mansion of Hidden Souls episode. As always, the translation/subs were great, but the game definitely screams early FMV game. I'm kinda surprised that Arino (at least from what ended up in the episode) didn't complain about how slow the game moves. At least he had fun with it, so that's what matters IMO. :)

Also, for anyone who's curious, here's the longplay of the English version. I didn't watch all of it, but I skipped around to get an idea of how the English voice acting was, and it's very early 90s FMV VO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NWxCx2gxME

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Don't know what you're talking about because I'm in the US and have literally never seen a real-life Metal Slug cabinet. But I've seen a Ms. Pac-Man in every single coin laundry I've been in (which isn't many, but still).

VV Either right next to the Galaga machine or one of those "Anniversary" machines where they combine Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga.

Our local college bar had a Metal Slug X cabinet, a Galaga/Ms. Pac-man cabinet and.... I think the last one was Raiden II. I've seen them elsewhere too; while they're considerably less common than those retro Namco cabinets, they're a fairly standard go-to game for places that just want one or two games in a corner somewhere.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Well.
Just Quickleaked Exdeath to... Death... And rolled the credits w/o fighting NED.
So I guess I'm making this s Quadruple Crown run.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Volume 2 of the Pokemon challenge is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuEH9LE8KFE

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

Volume 2 of the Pokemon challenge is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuEH9LE8KFE
And this is a great way to start my Friday work day. I love how the title card for these is still an old picture of Arino.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Arino was at the World Hobby Fair today, and managed to get five new Pokemon through trading:
http://twitter.com/arikachopokemon

I have a sneaking suspicion attendants were given a very limited list of Pokemon they were allowed to trade him.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
World Hobby Fair? poo poo, you guys gotta tell me about these things! :v:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Found this on Amazon cheaper than eBay, obviously a book about those 10-yen games Arino plays during the candy-shop segments. I can't read a lick of Japanese so I just got it to look at the pretty pictures. Anyone know of anymore books that might be of interest besides the actual GCCX ones?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

Found this on Amazon cheaper than eBay, obviously a book about those 10-yen games Arino plays during the candy-shop segments. I can't read a lick of Japanese so I just got it to look at the pretty pictures. Anyone know of anymore books that might be of interest besides the actual GCCX ones?

I own that! It's really detailed and quite interesting.

I was thinking of getting this one as well, you see some of these old vending machines on the show, and I'm interested in them

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4777813711/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=K4THU3LAQDW7&coliid=I2VIH0U2PEYPZ4

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kakaricho posted:

I own that! It's really detailed and quite interesting.

I was thinking of getting this one as well, you see some of these old vending machines on the show, and I'm interested in them

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4777813711/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=K4THU3LAQDW7&coliid=I2VIH0U2PEYPZ4

Oh god, all the 'customers also bought' books on that page look awesome. Lots of vending and arcade machine stuff.

EDIT: and now I'm buying even more books I can't read.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 29, 2016

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

Oh god, all the 'customers also bought' books on that page look awesome. Lots of vending and arcade machine stuff.

EDIT: and now I'm buying even more books I can't read.

You might like this site, it's just a guy who goes to old food vending machines all over Japan and blogs about it

http://www26.tok2.com/home/lunchboy/sub2.htm

quote:

Oh god, all the 'customers also bought' books on that page look awesome.

Thanks a lot for pointing that out, now I want that book about Showa-era Love Hotels

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kakaricho posted:

Thanks a lot for pointing that out, now I want that book about Showa-era Love Hotels

Something to read on the midshift.

Yeah the Love Hotel one sounds interesting but its double the price on the american amazon site. I picked up the 'nostalgia mini' one which I think is about gashapon toys and the machines they come out of.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

More Nintendo books. :v:

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The next game (after the Shikoku visit) for episode #222 is Wagyan Land 2, and a "person from long ago" is sending a message.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

The next game (after the Shikoku visit) for episode #222 is Wagyan Land 2, and a "person from long ago" is sending a message.

There's really only one person who that could be.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

There's really only one person who that could be.

That's supposed to be a Wagyan?!

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
All this japanese book talk and no one said how to buy from amazon japan yet. :mad:

I need all those books in my life but I'm not in Japan, sadly.

fake edit: why no one never told me that you can change the co.jp to .com to buy it in the main Amazon site. RIP bank account. At least I can finally buy ぼくは日本兵だった, always wondered why this book never had an english release.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Explosive Tampons posted:

All this japanese book talk and no one said how to buy from amazon japan yet. :mad:

I need all those books in my life but I'm not in Japan, sadly.

fake edit: why no one never told me that you can change the co.jp to .com to buy it in the main Amazon site. RIP bank account. At least I can finally buy ぼくは日本兵だった, always wondered why this book never had an english release.

You can as long as the product is also on Amazon.your country.

Amazon.co.jp needs its own independent Amazon Japan account, but everything about the site works like every other Amazon. If you click the "see this page in English" button all the core Amazon links and pages will be in English, just product pages won't. You can internationally order basically any book or movie, and I think most video games now, as long as you are ordering from Amazon directly and not a third-party seller. For items which can't ship internationally, use Tenso or similar.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Arino will be having a handshake event in Kumamoto on July 18th when they distribute the games they collected at the charity event in Tokyo.

edit - Arino posted saying "Anyone interested in an old guy's hands, please come by."

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 1, 2016

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

edit - Arino posted saying "Anyone interested in an old guy's hands, please come by."
Sold!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kakaricho posted:

Arino will be having a handshake event in Kumamoto on July 18th when they distribute the games they collected at the charity event in Tokyo.

oh god one of those events.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was re-watching the Golgo 13 episode (101) and I was again reminded what the show's charm is. When they go to the arcade trip, they read the name of the place wrong (JJ Club 100 instead of one-zero-zero (ichi-maru-maru)) but instead of a re-take, they just continue from where they left off, with the arcade trip theme starting again and the narrator just doing another narration with the right reading. That stuff is hilarious.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

Pardon me for going back to an earlier conversation, but why is this? Do they seriously just believe so hard in the other model of 'sell high, in small numbers'?

I mean, it feels like it's just better for the consumer to sell low, with enough of a profit margin as possible, but to a lot more people.

Or they make enough money from the rental market that it balances out anyway?

I think they're also less prone to just torrenting tv shows/movies, so the only options are rent or buy. Do they even stream as often as we do?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Pardon me for going back to an earlier conversation, but why is this? Do they seriously just believe so hard in the other model of 'sell high, in small numbers'?

I mean, it feels like it's just better for the consumer to sell low, with enough of a profit margin as possible, but to a lot more people.

Or they make enough money from the rental market that it balances out anyway?

I think they're also less prone to just torrenting tv shows/movies, so the only options are rent or buy. Do they even stream as often as we do?

Otaku

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ineffiable posted:

I know literally nothing about anime, but I've heard elsewhere on SA that this is literally the case for cult/creepy stuff, to the point where these companies will go, "331 people will buy this no matter the price, we need to make 20 million yen to stay in business... 20 million divided by 331 is... the box set is gonna be 60,500 yen. Any additional sales are just a bonus"

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^^

I'm told that this is also why a lot of anime that seems otherwise fine will have a ton of creepy fetish stuff, or fanservicey nude scenes of schoolgirls, just kinda crowbarred in there. The idea behind it is that certain gross otaku types will always buy that kind of poo poo up, and they need to pander to the gross otaku in order to sell DVDs.

proxycell
Jul 7, 2012
Howdy y'all. I am currently digging through my library and I have a copy of Ninja Gaiden 1 "Director's Cut" here here that appears to be from the Kotaku broadcast (.FLV) and I also have the English Retro Game Master DVD and both copies appear to be of similar runtime/length.

Is it called the Director's Cut anywhere else other than on Kotaku's version or the Japanese DVD 3 and are there any differences between this and the one on the English Retro Game Master DVD?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

proxycell posted:

Howdy y'all. I am currently digging through my library and I have a copy of Ninja Gaiden 1 "Director's Cut" here here that appears to be from the Kotaku broadcast (.FLV) and I also have the English Retro Game Master DVD and both copies appear to be of similar runtime/length.

Is it called the Director's Cut anywhere else other than on Kotaku's version or the Japanese DVD 3 and are there any differences between this and the one on the English Retro Game Master DVD?

The Retro Game Master release used the Japanese DVD versions of episodes rather than the broadcast version. And in the DVD sets there's usually one or two challenges that are extended with more playing footage. These are labeled "director's cut" and that's what you're finding. The broadcast version cut out a lot of little things.

FWIW, the director's cut version of an episode that is the biggest improvement is Link to the Past. I'm 99% sure it was shot with an intention of being a double episode and then cut down badly to the broadcast version (the fact that the episode has two Super Monkey Adventure segments is a big hint that they were prepared for another episode in the season).

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, the director's cut version of an episode that is the biggest improvement is Link to the Past.

I love how a quake hits during filming, and Arino keeps playing while commenting on the shaking. He's like a fore-runner to those people who's instinct in a quake is to start posting about it on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The Retro Game Master release used the Japanese DVD versions of episodes rather than the broadcast version. And in the DVD sets there's usually one or two challenges that are extended with more playing footage. These are labeled "director's cut" and that's what you're finding. The broadcast version cut out a lot of little things.

FWIW, the director's cut version of an episode that is the biggest improvement is Link to the Past. I'm 99% sure it was shot with an intention of being a double episode and then cut down badly to the broadcast version (the fact that the episode has two Super Monkey Adventure segments is a big hint that they were prepared for another episode in the season).

I really wanna see that Link to the Past director's cut. Is the physical DVD the only way?