Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Obeast posted:

I actually hope it's Tecmo Bowl/Super Bowl just to see if they give him a special football jersey to wear while he played the game. It would be ridiculous and amazing at the same time.

Imagine Arino trying to understand American football. "I got the ball!...Why are there 5 guys on top of me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Vlaphor posted:

Small question I've been curious that I doubt anybody knows the answer to. What's that thing on Arino's neck? It looks like a burn mark or something and it's been there since the beginning, but I noticed in the Dragon Buster episode that it was covered up with a band-aid and then it was notably less pronounced in later episodes (maybe, could be my imagination or an effect of low video quality).

Just a small curiosity.

I've always guessed that it's a mole. Arino probably went to get it (mostly) removed before the Dragon Buster episode.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I always use "Madame Bovary" as the perfect example of why translator notes are a terrible thing.

Flaubert, the author of Madame Bovary, was a perfectionist. He would spend hours debating the placement of a comma. So, the text in its original French is an exacting work, painfully constructed and is a masterpiece of the French language.

Yet, somehow, they are able to translate it into English without having to throw in random French terms here and there (there may be a few, but they refer to proper titles and names and stuff like that). If Madame Bovary doesn't need translator notes to be understood, then your anime doesn't need notes.

I noticed when I was watching Cowboy Bebop last night, in the episode "Ballad of the Fallen Angels," the subtitles has Faye referring to Mao as "Mao-taijin," and underneath in white it says "Sir Mao." I'm just kind of confused as to why they didn't keep it Sir Mao. Is there an implication with "taijin" that would be changed with "sir." Of course, in the first episode, they can't decide on how they want to refer to the dish "bell peppers with beef" in the subtitles. First, it is in English with the Chinese name underneath in white, and then after that, it's either the Chinese name or the English name. An odd choice, I must say.

I think you also have to weigh in the fact that French culture is closer to Anglophone culture than Anglophone culture is to Asian in general. Obviously that doesn't excuse egregious stuff like those subtitles, but sometimes you really do need a translator's note to understand.

I once read a manhwa where one page is just a shot of a straw mat outside, no words. To a Korean person this is immediately understandable. In the English edition there was a one line translator's note at the corner that said something to the effect of "criminals at the time were left to die outside on a mat".

Obviously you want to make things obvious in the text if you can, but that's not always possible.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

FireCar posted:

I heard you can easily make yourself understood to a Japanese person by saying the English word with a u on the end, saying it slowly, and saying it really loud. For example:

"Do you have any syrup for these pancakes? Syrup. SYRUP. SYRUP-U!"

It works for Spanish, too. Just add o instead of u (you're welcome-o).

That might actually work, since Japanese has syrup as a loan word.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Everyone here should just take an Intro to Linguistics course, it explains 90% of the topics we're covering.

Neito posted:

The words themselves have genders. For example, (spanish) la mesa (table) is feminine, but el camino (road) is masculine.

Grammatical gender is a type of division linguists call a noun class. Gendering is pretty common among Indo-European languages and is basically arbitrary except when referring to things that actually have genders, like humans. Other noun class systems are less arbitrary, like how Navajo noun classes mark shape.

English did have genders long, long ago, and the word "the" originally marked the neuter. It got lost during the 1300s along with declensions and most inflection.

EDIT:

Crotch Bat posted:

Languages are weird with dumb, arbitrary rules is what we're all getting at here.
Pretty much, yes.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I want to play this so badly. Old-school Japanese detective games are great if you can find translated versions, like the SNES version of Famicom Tantei Club Part II.

joek0 posted:

Also, there is no reason not to import the 2nd DS game. There are guides on GameFaqs for all the games except Guadia Quest Saga. I and others on this thread can help you with GQS.
The problem with that is it's no fun playing a detective game with a guide that tells you what to do. You really need a translated version.

That's not to say you shouldn't import the game anyway.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I finally bought my GCCX DVD and am ripping it for personal use as we speak. The translation is excellent of course, but drat do DVDs have the worst subtitle protocol. Who decided to make it image based instead of text based?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I actually have a translation question: in Bonanza Bros. zari-gani translated what I would call a "trap door" as a "pitfall". Do they call it specifically call it that in Japanese or is this a regional difference in English I didn't know about?

Also my 2 cents on the sign-translation thing: It's nice if you can translate most of them without it looking weird, but in order of priority it should usually go necessary > useful > background jokes > random signs. In some works you really need to include the background jokes, like in Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei because there are so many background jokes that they're part of really experiencing like a native-speaker would.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

I had a cool pastor that occasionally used Calvin and Hobbes in his sermons. This guy reminds me of him and is therefore cool

This is exactly why I like that segment. Buddhist priest not afraid to make fun of himself reading strategy guides? That's one awesome priest.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I really want this game to get funded. :(

I chipped in $15, but everyone who can seriously should back this with whatever they've got. It looks amazing, and I wish I could give more.

EDIT: I actually did a double-take when I saw zari-gani's name, she seems to show up in the strangest places.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Just came across this today, zari-gani's contributing to a comic anthology of African fables and it looks fabulous: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1495959227/cautionary-fables-and-fairy-tales-africa-edition. You can get a PDF version of it when it comes out by backing just $5, so I'd say it's worth it!

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Good job with all the horse name puns, some of those must have been pretty hard to find a suitably horse-related word for.

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays over the episode contents preview?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

Serebro - Gun, if we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the whole song is not nearly so good.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Its not Japanese, but The Genius has had my attention lately: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593386

I realize its not in the same vein as Gaki where people get whapped in the balls all the time, but its still a personality and talent driven show. If you watch JDramas or read japanese comics, they basically ripped off the plot of Liar Game and made it a reality gameshow, except people are playing for fame instead of fated to die due to being millions of dollars in debt. Some of the games they play are straight up copies of Liar Game games.

Thanks for linking to this! I love Liar Game and I can't imagine how fun it'll be to watch it "for real".

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Famicom Detective Club Part II actually has a fan translation for the SNES port, and it's really worth playing. I wish someone would translate the first one one day!

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

This is a weird request, Aaron, but is there any way to get the background graphics for Triotos DX? I love ukiyo-e and want to reference them to find non-16 bit versions, but in game they're covered by the Triotos grid.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Turns out these are all selections from Hokusai's 36 Views of Mt. Fuji! Indies Zero were really trying to make Triotos as Japanese as possible.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

AaronTokunaga posted:

Edit> Gunstar Heroes was never translated? Heh. I was also asked recently to try and tackle that game and some stock market training game for the DS by Hideo Kojima.

I've heard about that stock trading game and was always sad it never got over here. There's a real dearth of good economic simulators.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

TheMcD posted:

It means to collect exactly 25 red crystals and exactly 25 blue crystals. If you get 26 of either, you hosed up.

I never bothered to beat Wiz-Man legit. I just skipped straight to the end and then just beat that level without ever getting the golden wands (since you don't need them to kill the boss).

You don't? I kept dying to that fucker and decided to come back later because I thought you couldn't harm purple enemies without the light wand.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

TheMcD posted:

I would presume that you don't have an arcade nearby, since making an arcade trip is probably one of the most obvious options and you probably thought of that already.

He could make his own mini-arcade, I'm thinking. Get a few of toy pinball games (http://www.amazon.com/Schylling-Home-Run-Pinball-Toy/dp/B000OO0I54/), a mini-claw game (http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Cubes-4093-Electronic-Claw/dp/B000KS52D2/), and either a plug 'n' play arcade game (http://www.amazon.com/Jakks-Namco-Arcade-Classics-Plug-Games/dp/B00009VDXX/) or an computer running MAME (with handpicked games) and a old-school joystick (http://www.amazon.com/Speedlink-Sports-Tournament-Competition-Joystick/dp/B00DW5F4VU/).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Kakaricho posted:

I visited Hashimoto Inn a while back. It's where they shot the "NES Box - 10 Minutes to Win It" segment. Here are some pictures I took.

http://imgur.com/a/OwRoL

Am I right in guessing that if you insert another 100(?) yen coin you can continue playing? They never actually showed Arino doing that.