Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I watched Castlevania 3 and experienced PTSD

I remember that horrible loving block section, pretty sure that's where I got stuck. He was stuck for eight loving hours. Then the three form last boss. What a bunch of dicks.

I love that people look back on the original CVs with nostalgia, but I have to wonder how many people just enjoyed the catchy music in the first three stages :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The only good Rare game for the NES is Snake Ratte 'n' Roll. All the others are so awful.

You take that back, Wizards & Warriors owns

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bomberman is honestly a viable alternative to open warfare

Throw a couple world leaders in a room with Bomberman and they can vent all their frustrations and disagreements

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

zari-gani posted:

The first thing you have to say upon entering someone's house is ojamashimasu, which at heart means "excuse me" but literally means "I'm going to bother you" or "I'm going to disturb you." An alternate thing to say is gomen kudasai which means "please give me pardon (for bothering you)." Those formalities alone should give you a picture on the whole host-guest culture in Japan. It's practically a ritual and not nearly as casual as North America. And when a place of business is involved, it's double the formalities and rules.

Japan is a strange place: http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/06/world/kunitachi-city-journal-japanese-trains-try-to-shed-a-gruesome-appeal.html?pagewanted=2&src=pm

I'm of two minds about the cultural difference, on the one hand, I really dislike the incredibly casual nature of interactions in america. People here are too informal and too forward in some really inappropriate situations.

On the other, the absurdly ritualized interactions in Japan seem like they give no room to interact on a relaxed level with people. I suppose it's 'normal' for them though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

On a somewhat related note I've been in the offices of many american game devs, and outside some rare exceptions on the very, very high end (ie, Blizzard), most of them are... about what you'd expect from a business office.

A boring business office!

I can't imagine japanese dev studios are much different, much less small tv show offices.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nill posted:

But that's like a whole 13 THOUSAND swatch.beats ago! :pwn:

One of my annoying artist friends picked up a swatch watch

... he's no longer using the watch, but he's still annoying

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Popping in to say thanks for the awesome work translating these, I love showing them to friends who may not even care about video games and/or strange subtitled japanese shows. They invariably find them hilarious. I even showed a few to my friends kids, reading them the subtitles, they loved them :3:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Caitlin posted:

Music to my ears! Thanks for making a bad day much better. :unsmith:

So much this. Gonna relax on the couch and force my SO to watch this episode with me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

I mean, yeah, Arino's really bad, but, like, you gotta have some goddamn perspective about these things. Just because it's a thing that you can crush with both hands tied behind your back doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.

People passively assume that other people are just as talented at <x> as they are. Or if not as talented, 'it's pretty easy to do <x>'. Which really isn't the case about anything, be it super mario, sports, or any creative art.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So when are you guys going to pick some other strange and wonderful japanese tv show to translate?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oh I'm not complaining - it's just that you have set up one of the very few translation groups on the net doing non anime fetish translations, and I'm assuming there are probably other weird and whacky shows that we'd never see or hear about otherwise.

Also y u guys no seed :saddowns:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Trivia time: Anyone know what episode showed Arino's wedding? My SO is strangely curious about his wife, after commenting that she has to deal with him after he gets back from a 14 hour failure.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

She'll love this, thanks :3:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'd love to see him do Karnov, I adored that game as a kid

My other big favorite was Rygar... that music, that sun! The PS2 remake kinda broke my heart, it had some beautiful backdrops, but the game was meh, and it killed any hope of a real rebirth.

edit: He's never tackled Wizards & Warriors or Iron Sword has he? Don't see it in the OP list. Another on my list of 'probably horrible but have fond memories' list. And Faxanadu... you know, I'm not prone to nostalgia gaming at all, wonder why I'm remembering all these now. I blame it on his SMW playthrough.

victrix fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 12, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Corridor posted:

They're willing to physically beat each other and squash their genitals in each other's faces but talking outside of work is awkward :psyduck:

You can't tell me you've never worked with someone who you wouldn't be happy to do both/either of those things to

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Terrible game: That horrible shitheap 'rpg' he's playing in the call the viewers segment, holy god that game looks awful

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not clear why he's playing it, it's not even funny to watch :( So many other more interesting titles they could have chosen that might require viewer input.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cultural nostalgia for shared pain would be an interesting anthropology paper :eng101:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Everyone loves frog puns :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Battletoads was unusual in that even the murderously difficult part was fun. It just got less fun the 90th time you played it. I dimly recall getting to or past the snakes stage, but I never beat it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The purpose of SA was to reach this point, so that GCCX episodes could be translated

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I bust out laughing when he went underwater in the rally. and then start getting depth charges dropped on him. and then tanks.. The most hardcore dakar rally ever.

I don't see how that game was anything but true to the spirit of the rally :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I honestly still haven't adjusted to Arino just cracking wise at whatever - it's so... western. I'm used to japanese Decorum In All Things. Maybe comedians are given more leeway in the same way ours usually are.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I actually think the 3d mario games are on the higher end of the difficulty spectrum period. Zelda games too, to a lesser extent.

Camera manipulation is _not_ a friendly or natural skill to learn with a pair of analog sticks for a new player. And that's ignoring manipulating it while dealing with crazy bullshit platforming that would be hard in 2d already.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I got around to watching the SMW episodes, and yeah I find it kind of frustrating to watch someone be that bad at SMW.

The whole time, half of me was cheering for him, and the other half of me was going "Jesus dude, I beat this game when I was 9 it's not that hard!"

I seem to remember going through the _whole_ game actually being pretty loving exhausting. It was a long rear end game if you did every level.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DKC has the best drat music. For a game about a bunch of stupid monkies, it's one of my favorite platformers, up there with Yoshi's Island

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I admire the iron restraint of their ADs to not tell him how to do something like that. It'd drive me completely nuts to watch him not use a fundamental action.

Occasionally they pop in to help, but I can't recall them advising him on game mechanics/play style very often

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm weirded out by all you 'not using spinjump' people :ohdear:

Also Arino's suffering is directly proportional to the entertainment value of any given episode

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I suspect my life would be better in general if I had a Cameraman Abe to follow me around and set me straight in all things

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Arino is enjoying Battletoads :psyduck:

My world is upside down

Well, I guess the fact that it's easier helps. Everyone enjoyed Battletoads. Until they hated it :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

Eh, different people just have different skill sets. Arino seems to be really good at solving puzzles but his hand-eye coordination maybe isn't the best for action games. You would think he would improve though, after 9 years of the show :)

He has, really. Not like 'holy crap he's actually good now', but I just couldn't see him tackling Battletoads in the first season or two. Go back and watch those episodes, he was _horrible_

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

He is a comedian by profession. Who says we aren't being trolled :tinfoil:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wait, he did do Karnov?! So sweet. If he does that and Rygar I'll be so stoked.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Man, watching Battletoads kind of blew my mind. That game was light years beyond other nes games of the time, and a 'modern' rendition of it in terms of "drat near every stage has multiple mechanics and many of them new each level" wouldn't be the least bit dated.

Too bad about the whole, you know, gently caress you difficulty part.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you're talking about the Lost Levels, that game is pure hell built to massacre overconfident children and make them into weeping bitter adults

Or I could be misremembering, but I do recall it kicking my rear end sideways!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The interview with the pokemon creator was extremely :3:

His games really reflect his personal whimsy, and that's a rare thing (and probably one reason they're still so popular today).

It was fascinating listening to his creative process too, it was much more about experimenting with certain feelings and concepts and then seeing how to fit those within the framework of a game, rather than something so banal as 'we're going to make an rpg'.

I wish I'd had the chance to meet some of that team, even through an interpreter. Many moons ago, I worked at Nintendo HQ here in the states during the early Pokemon days, but I never had the opportunity to meet with the japanese team.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ahahaha, holy poo poo that was great

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Arino even mispronounces Japanese words if they're inserted into English sentences. It's like he's in a trance.

I can relate to this - studying various asian languages makes reading english really weird when my brain is in 'parse these syllables completely differently' mode

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Or he'll be speeding through a course, avoiding the cones, cornering with ease, and then at some arbitrary moment jerking the steering wheel, turning 90 degrees, and several seconds later slamming head-on into the wall at a hundred miles an hour.

This sums up one of my friends who I've played multiplayer games with for many years to a T

He's amazing 95% of the time, and 5% of the time performs the most spectacularly mindless fuckups that result in catastrophic failure

(we made him play a healer in mmos, led to predictable hilarity in intense boss fights or raids)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is that outfit he wears something that Japanese employees actually have to wear at any job? Or just something suitably crappy and horrible because that's just how they roll?

I was reflecting that he manages to make even an Asian temple background look completely terrible because that outfit is so drat ugly :v: