Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

That's the weirdest otherkin I've ever heard of.
It's the internet. There's something for everyone! (yes, safe and cutesy link for the understandably wary)

Crayfish are cool but I hate 'em anyway. When you line a running irrigation ditch in wetlands, you gotta deal with those things brushing up against your legs and poo poo and snipping at you like they're some kind of motherfucking underwater centipede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paper Lion posted:

Also congrats to TV Nihon for hell freezing over I suppose. your work is always way better though, because you guys actually give a poo poo.

Oh definitely. TV Nihon, I mean it's cool that they're doin' poo poo again, but it's always very literal and unlocalized. They just straight up say sempai and italicize the phonetic clipped English loanwords, after all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

Okay, finally watched that last episode. What the hell was with that IT'S FIIIINE OI UWA OUU thing? :psyduck:
Probably something we'd never get, but this is based on me assuming that Kato and Ken are comedians whose careers were at their peak in the early/mid-90s and it was probably some recurring gag about Japanese theater they did. I bet it's just some kind of reference that Arino and his 80s/90s Japanese pop culture knowledge would get while it would go over the heads of everyone else.

I'm sure his ADs, too, were all "what the gently caress is that" and only found it funny because Arino sounded so ridiculous doing it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bocc Kob posted:

Google brought me this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8u4ar_yyyyyyyy-yyyy_fun

Hahaha, this is fuckin' great. It's like Japanese Rap Reiplinger

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ I'll be honest with you man, I grew up in a place where people hate reading because white people read, so that statement isn't too obtuse from my point of view.

Corridor posted:

Wow, this is an awesome derail. Stupid America vs. Stupid Japan, WHO WILL WIN
Yeeeaaaah, I was gonna come in all "blah blah blah dialects" and "blah blah blah examples of weird text popping up all over in screenshots of Japanese programming from the 80s" but really.

I will say the thing I find really interesting about Japanese TV is that they subtitle their dialects in interviews in a standard form, and that I've never heard them overdub folks who aren't speaking Japanese.

v Oh now you're just being a loving pedant.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 18, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dominic White posted:

gently caress, I had some legal, legit stuff up on there!
Wow, that's fuckin' creepy. I used MU like, not even two hours ago to grab a memory card a goon put together for me because I couldn't figure it out myself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Primoman posted:

You honestly expect me to believe that's the first time Arino played that game? Isn't there some law that could get you jailed for having not played Super Mario 3 if you owned an NES/Famicom?
He got caught, why do you think they made him play it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SirLarr posted:

I started watching this episode, then I thought "Man that looks just like the font used in Yo Noid."

Then I thought "Man, that looks just like the first stage of Yo Noid."

Then I went to Wikipedia. Yo Noid was totally the American localization of Masked Ninja Hanamaru! That's so crazy.

The question is, does Arino mimic a mumbly Manhattaner talking about Anjre'giant?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ swf will indeed do that, and the only problem then is finding a way to download it if the site doesn't offer the option.

Primoman posted:

Related: Are there any videos that collect Arino's disgruntled sighs and moans?

Dude don't go from being creepy about Tifa to being creepy about someone/thing else, it just doesn't work like that

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 10, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

An especially great episode for sure, Abe is such a badass in terms of being the MacGuyver of the show time and again.

Well before you get to be a cameraman, you have to be a grip. Do you know what a grip does? Everything Abe can do.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
If there's anything this episode has taught me, it's that Japan loving loves Jack Bauer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ha, my GCCX folder is 35gb of one man playing a lot of video games.

GCCX makes me wish I'd gotten that tb internal a year ago instead of the 500 I got instead, haha.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mayor McCheese posted:

It came out on the tail-end of the NES's lifespan (1992). Chances are it would probably have been overlooked like many of the games that came out for the system during that time period. And by this point SunSoft had a mixed track record depending on who you asked. Blaster Master and Spy Hunter were great, but you also had things like Fester's Quest, Xenophobe, and Batman. It would have been interesting to see how it sold, though.

Wasn't Sunsoft just a publisher anyway? Not that they referenced their designers if they were, but I recall them publishing the Game Boy FF games in America. That would actually explain their very inconsistent track record pretty easily.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

and was in constant bewilderment as to why it was even made, much less translated.

Well, it was the Age of the Choose Your Own Adventure... on the computer! It felt like a very, very weird and mildly disconcerting Dragon's Keep, really. They were just capitalizing on the Sierra Games For Kids market.

The one that ended in, like, 1985.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tyma posted:

I was actually wary of putting "From a fan in Scotland" on a fax, since the show doesn't air in this country.

"... and I am watching a stream on the internet from a Japanese national" is a pretty valid explanation in this day and age, even if it isn't true.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever wished I had access to a fax.

Pretty sure that there are internet methods of doing this. I know goons have a distaste for the invocation of Anon, but how else do you think they bombed Scientology with hundreds of thousands of black-page faxes?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

redmercer posted:

I prefer the term "speed suit"

Honestly I always thought it was a dumptruck driver's uniform.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Heran Bago posted:

If you do get a Sega CD you can burn the ISO to a CD-R and just pop it in. This also works for the Dreamcast.

But you shouldn't because piracy is bad.

Good luck getting a working Sega CD, though. Those things had horrible hardware integrity.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr Phillby posted:

Every computer I own has a DVD-Rom drive, I don't know if they're region locked, but I can't imageine that being an issue for long.

That said if there is an offical UK release I will be all over it.

I'm pretty sure the only hard region-locked DVD drives are on Macintoshes where you can only change the region four or five times before it forces itself into a given region forever and is pretty much impossible to crack. The rest are either lax on the pressure the movie industry put on them, are weird working not-quite-bootleg DVD drives made in China, or can be easily circumvented.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 29, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NBHS posted:

Castlequest. Seems like exactly the kind of game that would make Arino's head explode. I picked up a copy recently, and wish I had the time to binge on it properly.

I fuckin' hate Castlequest. And yet I keep coming back to it.

Apparently people share this sentiment. There is no such a thing as an accurate walkthrough of the game, but there is definitely a walkthrough.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ledneh posted:

I'm glad he picked Legacy of the Wizard at least though, because I really liked the music v:shobon:v

Oh yeah, that guy is a fuckin' genius. I can never remember his name, though, the syllables just aren't as striking or phonetically weird as Ryuji Sasai, I guess. Still, I love the guy's music. He has that pop groove down. Hell, the man made popsome classical music for Actraiser, but I suppose that's a bit more Star Warsey classical music above anything else.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I remember using the debug code to get to The Tube, and then Welcome to the Machine hosed my poo poo UP. Then I somehow hit a glitch that made the screen change color like when you die, except it kept scrolling all the way to the end and I got to the final boss.

The debug code also has an invincibility option. When the Queen eats you, you don't die; instead, you get sucked into her mouth, the screen turns blood red, and Ecco does his "damage" scream over and over and over. Bitches piss and moan about Amnesia and Dead Space and poo poo but those games ain't poo poo compared to that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Obeast posted:

Mickey Mousecapades would make a good episode until Arino finds out the trick of using Minnie for some of the boss fights since she can't be killed unless he doesn't find the power up that lets her shoot stars (or the orbs that the Japanese version used).

I wanna see Arino play Adventures in the Magic Kingdom. Random-rear end Space Mountain, Castlevania knockback, three pips of health, unkillable enemies. That poo poo was poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ The weirdest game I've ever played has definitely got to be Robotrek. Just, what the gently caress.

Bo Steed posted:

I'm not sure how good Gaia would be for GCCX, though.... It's reeeeeeally narrative driven and not really all that much fun to watch. It's a bit on the long side, too.
Soulblazer would be good, though. It's actiony like Zelda, a lot of the bosses have patterns that you can trick them into but by and large they're very unfair, dying is very forgiving, and the town-building would have that same "Arino playing Actraiser" feel, I bet. It's kinda short, too, so it's not a stretch to see Arino finishing it in a day.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grawl posted:

This freaks me out, how is able to do that sign? :psyduck:

What? I must be missing something, are you from like the EU or something 'cause that's just a normal "holding up three fingers" in the west US.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Hey, here is a thought.

Well, maybe. It'll be hard to find an actual in-stock new copy; I'm sure most of the "new" RGC listings you see online are from dubious third-party sellers, and I doubt brick-and-mortar stores have them in stock still.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LiquidRain posted:

OP subtitle links need updating. Is there a place I can get them? Was hoping to load up on these before a flight tomorrow. :( My Japanese is nowhere near good enough to understand what's going on, either.

This forum has links to all the episodes. You gotta deal with lovely Depositfiles but you can't complain too much, it's an extensive catalogue.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Just look for what you personally know; I love LTTP and it was a great introduction to GCCX for me. Also Mighty Bomb Jack. It doesn't matter what you like or don't like, if you can't appreciate that episode then you have no soul.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Obeast posted:

I have no idea if this was even from the trip to begin with, so this question might be totally invalid. But, that tree does look a little bit like some that grow here in California.
Nah, they just have a poo poo-ton of Japanese Maples/Momiji in the north valley. That's probably Japan with a bunch of said trees. They are among my favorite plants because their leaves look like :420: obviously.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ineffiable posted:

I wonder if there exists some Japanese forum like us, where they're currently translating Seinfeld or something into Japanese.

"You HIKKIKOMORI MANCHILDREN just don't understand the subtle humorous overtones and sexual tension of true classic American sitcoms like the Drew Carey Show"
:goonsay:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cemetry Gator posted:

You know, I'd be curious to see how Abe became a camera man if he is apparently a really good chef.

Cameramen are usually really versed in not being cameramen on the side. It's less of a "I want to be a cameraman when I grow up" job and more of a vocational "Well I was going to be an astrophysicist, buuuuuut" profession of necessity.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mister Chief posted:

I suggest you don't go down this road.

Dude chill your pill, it's a loving joke.

or is there something you want to share with the thread

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, poo poo, you learn something new every day. Yoiko is ゐ, not い, haha.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Edison Carter posted:

It's nice that they gave it a mention, but geeze, they didn't really even try. They could have at least maybe given some info about what episodes there were, even a link to the company's site? I mean yeesh, there's literally a pointless, open ended square bracket at the end of the story.
You bet your rear end they're plenty mad, they lost the rights only to be shown up by a vastly superior product.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mister Chief posted:

I know that Rainbow Islands is in the pipeline.

I don't see how it's even possible to beat that game with the best ending. One, you're lucky to make it to the end of a level. Two, the secret boss is a bitch and a half because it's a space shoot-'em-up boss with space shoot-'em-up movement range and action AI, but you're futzing around in the Rainbow Islands platformer engine. Finally, it is in fact entirely random that you'll even GET the R-A-I-N-B-O-W diamonds in the first place. I wouldn't have made it without savestates, and I always had to keep one on hand from the beginning of the world. I mean, Adventure Island is some poo poo, but at least that's totally dependent on twitch. That? You can't fix that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Liku posted:

Are you comparing Street Fighter 2010 to Hamlet? :psyduck:

Street Fighter 2010 is actually a nested metaphor. At first glance it's a spaceman fighting poo poo in space, but upon further analysis one realizes that it's actually about a man's slow descent into madness over how much he hates himself (leaving in the end because he realized that he was a monster is actually about his withdrawal from normal human society because he's come to terms with this hate, even though it means he can never speak to another person again). And then, after having played this game all the way to the end, grappling with terrible hitboxes and RNG-based bosses with no skills attached, that it's talking about the player!

:pseudo:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Malorie posted:

Does all of that hidden content exist in the home version? Or did they simply decide to not attempt the 'true' ending and secret world, and just get a 'good' ending, due to how difficult it is to get there?

Yup! After getting all seven diamonds and clearing the eighth world, you get to CHOOSE YOUR ENDING!

If you choose to either be famous or a millionaire, then it says "and then you became famous/became a millionaire but you were miserable forever," wasting your time and sending you back to the title screen, but if you choose to save your friends, you get the real best ending and Bub says "I have a lump in my throat!"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pedantic, but I don't think it's necessary. Maybe just put "Blackie (Foreman Spike in english release)' on the first mention then keep on with the japanese name.

Funnily enough I heard Blacky but I thought, "Y'know, this is for the best. The Foreman Spike we got here is probably a lot more palatable for western audiences, too." I've heard a bunch of other discrepancies throughout the episodes but even when it's looking me right in the face, the stuff we got in the TV Nihon fansubs is really jarring when I know a game has a different title or a character has a different name in the west but I only see this weird phoneticization of the Japanese in front of me.

But congrats on being true to your username, that sounds just like something a teenage fansub group would scream from the rooftops.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Huzzah! posted:

In the very beginning of Toonami, it was hosted by Moltar from Space Ghost. Go find some early Toonami bumpers on youtube to see a 3D Moltar. I also think back then the anime to non-anime ratio was smaller than it was later on.

Yeah, Toonami was a lot of Gennedy Tartakovsky stuff when Tom was first introduced, plus a little bit of like DBZ and once in a while they'd bring in other shows like Big O or that submarine one with the fish-chicks or whatever. I stopped watching some time before they made it a mainly-anime deal, if it ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Emalde posted:

Oh my god Arino what are you doing you just glued like a collective $400 to a piece of paper! :supaburn:

Incidentally, Arino seems like kind of a Big Deal, so I have this feeling that the Arino Sticker Sheet would be worth waaaaaaay more than the unused stickers he used together.