Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

rdbbb posted:

At this point I should say that this is a two-parter.

Well, I know what I'm going to be scheduling for an upcoming movie night. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

You don't get to take that back. That means you have to do all the live challenges.

Uh, I wouldn't want to watch a live challenge. Maybe edit one down to a few hours? That'd still be a lot of work, but it wouldn't have seven hours of that one GIF that always gets posted when someone suggests translating a 24-hour challenge...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

God bless TV-NIHON, without them I would have never seen this

That whole episode is sad, because the ending he's shooting for can only be obtained by finishing the game in an hour or less. Which he's never told. And there's absolutely no way he's going to get it first try. And he doesn't know he's going to need to reset and try again, so he just keeps playing. It's just doomed from the start, and knowing that is so :smith:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I believe the team has repeatedly stated that the Kotaku episodes are last on their list to do, because even that translation is better than no translation at all.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

An RPG or adventure game might work better as a 24-hour game. That way they don't have to chop out all of the story. (Of course, Arino might need a bit of help to finish one in 24 hours... but since when is that new?)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Multiupload appears to be back up now. I haven't tested uploading a file, but their front page loads, if slowly.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Normally when I pull down torrents I share until I've hit a ratio of 3, but I've set this one to force-start so I'll keep sharing it for a day or two. I have a pretty big upward pipe, so that ought to help!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

...well, crap. Better shut the torrent down too, I guess.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Fluffy Tail posted:

Takeshis Castle just isn't as good for me without Craig Charles's commentary.

I miss watching that show now, it was hilarious.

Do you know if there's a way of seeing the Craig Charles version? I didn't care for the MXC version myself.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Dumping back an episode or two, I wonder if there'd be sufficient goon interest to get a Bomberman tournament going? I'm sure some version could be 'persuaded' to work over the net...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Primoman posted:

If the SNES game is still the "definitive" Bomberman, then I would be interested in the Netplay feature.

Well, there were five Bomberman games released for the SNES, but only games 3-5 supported five players. As we can all agree that more players is better (at least to a point), I decided to do some net detective-ing and find out which other Bomberman games supported at least five players.

Aside from the NES version we saw in the show, there were also the TurboGraphix-16 games: Bomberman, Bomberman '93, and Bomberman '94. (Bomberman '93 is available on the Wii VC, with multiplayer, everywhere but Japan, which got '94 instead.) Then there's Bomberman World for the PS1, which has a weird isometric view.

If you want to go bigger, you'll need to hit the online versions, which each support eight players. There's one for each service; the Wii's Virtual Console has Bomberman Blast (also available boxed with some extra features, but nothing that affects online play, to my knowledge), while PSN has Bomberman Ultra and XBLA has both Bomberman Live and Bomberman Live Battlefest.

The crown for multiplayer insanity, however, goes to Saturn Bomberman's ten-player matches. Technically, there's a PC game called Atomic Bomberman that also supports ten players, but if given the choice, I know which I'd want to play.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm watching the video clip show now, and... holy crap. $290 for one udon dish? And Arino doesn't even react? Somebody's pampered.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I wish. They're really expensive unless you get one of the PS1 or Dreamcast ones and the PS1 controllers aren't compatible with the PS2 games.

Are there resources enough to build one? Admittedly, I'm not getting a good look at the controls, but they look like the sort of thing you could kitbash without an unacceptable loss of quality...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

For those of you who've actually played the Pac-Man game: did Arino miss something obvious about the final boss? Because it sure looked like shooting the things constantly spewing more gum into the gum monster would have made the fight a bit easier.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I apologize if this was answered already and I missed it in the pages of congratulations, but the upcoming DVD will only feature the game segments of the episodes in question, right? Any chance of SA-GCCX translating the bits of those episodes that won't make the DVD?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I'm just not sure what to do about those two...

To address the spoiled text: I don't think spoilers are necessary. After all, we already know Arino does 24-hour challenges of specific games; that would suggest that he failed to complete those games on their particular shows. And he didn't even fail to complete Lemmings--he just had to back off on the difficulty a bit--so someone can still be surprised!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

StoryTime posted:

Yeah, we all know and can deduct those kinds of things. However, I think this is more about the new people who are scrolling through the OP without knowing anything about the show, trying to figure which episode they'd like to try first.

No point in spoiling the episode with their favorite game if we can prevent it.

So should we also spoiler-tag the 24-hour episodes?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The Sega CD versions of the first two Ecco games had an awesome soundtrack by Spencer Nilsen. They were also a lot of fun, at least most of the time (the forced-scroll stages were... unpleasant. 'Welcome to the Machine', I'm looking at you.) I agree that they'd make good episodes, though.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

What's that 'go under the school gate' comment in the episode about? I assume it's something to do with Japanese entrance exams, but I don't have the etymology.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Vlaphor posted:

I'd love a gif of that exact scene, but I'm horrible at making gifs from videos and all the instructions I could google were for smaller video files (or used programs now described as legacy).

I'd be happy to make one for you if you let me know what resolution you want it in.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Vlaphor posted:

Well, Kacho No Bonus is 320x240, but this episode is widescreen. Somewhere around there. Big enough for the text to be readable. Start around 37:37 to 37:41, if you could please. Thanks.

Hm. The file's weighing in at about four megs, which neither LPix nor Imgur will take. Would you rather I make the image smaller/reduce the number of colors used, or would you rather suggest an imagehost that will take a file that big?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Vlaphor posted:

Reducing the number of colors would probably be the best option to start with. Before you do that, can it be attached to a post (though it is a possible spoiler)? Just wondering

Well, after playing around with the size and the frame rate a bit, this is the best I could come up with to fit under two megs:

If you want anything changed (like holding the last frame longer or something), just say!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

zari-gani posted:

They've also officially run out of Famicom games to showcase

Wait, what? They've played every single Famicom game? Or do you mean something else?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

*hits the 2:10 mark*
*sees Arino and Arino-helper taking on Kirby Super Star*

Where is this footage!? (I see it's a live episode, so I presume translating it is a low priority.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

"Arino-helper"? That's Hamaguchi a.k.a. the other half of Yoiko!

Well, he's dressed like Arino and playing the helper, so. :colbert:

More to the point, is the raw footage available anywhere?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

joek0 posted:

I think I have the raw on my hard drive. If I find it, I will upload it on youtube by the weekend.

Any luck finding that footage?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

joek0 posted:

I found it a couple days ago. Do you want the whole live special or just the Kirby Super Stars challenge done by Arino and Hamaguchi? I can have it up by tonight or Monday morning.

Oh? The live challenge isn't entirely KSS? Well, that's the bit I'm interested in. How long is it?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

joek0 posted:

I have the video in 2 parts. Part 1 is the non Kirby stuff and is about 5 hours. Part 2 has Yoiko challenging Kirby and is about 7 hours. Check crunkgames episode guide for a summary. It is the 2011 New Years Live Special.

Well, I'm most interested in part two, but I'm sure someone will be interested in part one! I look forward to you putting it up.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

joek0 posted:

One of the GB games he plays is Kirby, which is about 5-10 nimutes of game footage. Do you need a link or upload of that video?

Nah. I'm not obsessed about the Kirby franchise, despite my avatar. KSS is a good game in the series, though, and I dig the way they're approaching it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

joek0 posted:

Part 2: Yoiko Plays Kirby Super Stars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--KTJxw-Kco

Playing other 2 player Famicom games at about the 38 minite mark. Kirby starts at about the 53 minute mark.

Thanks for this! There was a bit of audio desync, but I was able to fix it by forcing the frame rate to 30000/1001 (NTSC standard) instead of 30001/1001.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Regarding the spoiled thing: maybe add a disclaimer to the beginning of the video, or before the segment in question, like one of those 'viewer discretion is advised' things? So people know to skip ahead?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So of the games that Arino's challenged, which ones do you think are (a) pretty hard to complete (so not, say, Kirby's Adventure or Mario 64) and (b) pretty fun to play nonetheless?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

There's a phrase that the narrator uses a lot that sounds, to my American ears, like 'miroto CLEAR'. What is he actually saying, and what does it mean?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So with all the talk about the DVD, I have a quick question: is this going to see a non-Japan release? Or do I need to have up, like, seventy bucks to buy this thing?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

What do they mean by 'Retro Game Master Version' and 'GameCenter Cx Version'? There's only one 'add to cart' button. Or is this like, dual audio tracks, or...?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Can we get a fansubbed episode for April Fool's next year, please? Ray could really bring Arino to life with his unbridled enthusiasm.

You mean a fandubbed episode? Just checking.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

zari-gani posted:

Kirby's Dream Course - Arino learns the joy of golfing through Kirby. Watanabe returns for more friendly abuse. Comes with "Retro Read-Along."

How can I not vote for this? :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm watching the Super Mario World episodes now (I was away from my fast Internet for a while), and I'm puzzled. While I haven't seen the first episode before, I could swear I've seen the first game corner segment before (where he visited Super Potato). I know he's been there on other occasions, but I remember him checking out the different 'grades' of used Famicoms, and I'm pretty sure he checked out the Rockman 4 cartridge too. Did this happen in another episode as well, or was it in a clip show or something?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FireCar posted:

Marble Madness

The arcade Marble Madness was a lot of fun, but I agree it lost something in the translation to home consoles and computers. There was the loss of the trackball, of course, and the much inferior graphics. And of course there was the loss of quality in the excellent music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g2eQeA15-s

...wait, I pasted a Youtube URL into the edit box, and what actually appeared was the forum markup for an embedded video. When did that feature get added?

EDIT: er, skip forward to about 1m50s for the good stuff.

EDIT EDIT: okay, 'excellent' is overstating it. But still, I have some nostalgia for the arcade game.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

Yeah, I would say ET is a great comparison as it's a horrible game with very vague objectives that most people don't even know exist.

I actually kind of enjoyed E.T. I even repaired a neighbor's Atari* just so I could play it. ...I might just have had horrible taste as a child. :ohdear:

*One of the pins in the joystick port had been bent out of position and wasn't connecting as a result. I bent it back into position.