Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Part of the problem, for me, is that for example, I'm watching him fight Bowser (Koopa). Through painful lurching and contortions, he's made it to the boss' third form. How can he be unable to time the cadence of his bouncing attack? I mean, Arino can write his own name, yes? Wasn't he a musician, a drummer, in a past life? (I remember this being mentioned when he played a drumming game in an arcade somewhere.) He runs right into Bowser, losing his Super status, and then runs right into him again, dying.

I'm yelling at the screen at this point! Look, I'm no super genius video game player and I don't want to sound like (too much of) a dick, but I didn't even know there was a Game Over screen to Super Mario World. I can barely watch this, but I need something to do while the Battletoads raw downloads. I suppose a big part of the appeal, as you say, is watching him struggle with game we ourselves struggled with. Watching him fail constantly with a game we could play with our arms tied behind our backs is pure agony!

Dectilon posted:

I'd say it's easy in the sense that, excluding the special world, the difficulty doesn't increase very much over the course of the game. Once you have the controls down there are very few problem areas.

There's a thing here that people are missing here, especially Jimmy Colorado there (sorry dude, you sound like a massive dick of Brobdingnagian proportions)---a lot of people don't have the particular knack it takes to play certain sorts of video games, or they don't have the experience of having played these games to death as kids. Mario games have never been easy, they've just never been unfair, which is what really sets them apart from other platformers. People are basically coming at this from the perspective of forgetting exactly how many times they had to restart stages and die in the same hole over and over again as a six-year-old. They've learned the language of the platformer, and unconsciously understand how to translate "run, make this long jump, then land on the tiny platform" into a fairly precise series of d-pad moves and button presses.

I hate to bust out the E-word here, but this is the sort of entitlement complex that 'hardcore' gamers use to disparage 'casual' gamers for enjoying things with a lower rate of difficulty---and having to struggle through them to do so. I'm currently helping train someone in basic game skills who never had any game consoles aside from a 2600 and a Game Gear (with, like, Columns) in their youth and is so intimidated by the culture of people who don't get that these things aren't automatically easy for people who haven't been playing games for years on end.

(this is rambly as gently caress, I'm super-tired, I'm probably EFB to gently caress and back by now, but I don't give a poo poo)

EDIT: I'm a drummer. I've never beaten Super Mario World. Shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bocc Kob posted:

Some of us had a Genesis instead of an SNES when we were kids. :argh:

Some of us had an Atari 5200 and a NES up until the 64-bit era.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You state a line from the show, cryptically, post a link to some horrendous noise that I turned off in about .2 seconds, and post a happy-face emoticon.

I have not had my tea yet and am incredibly grumpy. What the gently caress are you talking about?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So the dude is just quoting the show?

Yeah, I get that, my point was why is--oh gently caress this
V

hexwren fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 4, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Polysics are the best thing since best things, but that's mostly because I'm one of those nerds who still likes DEVO.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Iviv posted:

Just found this thread through one of the ads, and it looks like an interesting show to watch. Though when I click the links to download the first season episodes, I'm getting the message:
Sorry no .torrent found with this ID, it has probably been deleted.

Is there any continuing 'plot' between the episodes, or is it something where you can just pick random episodes featuring games you already know and enjoy it like that?

Occasionally there will be callbacks to weeks previous, like "Arino has failed at the last four games he's attempted! Will he survive this week?" but those are fairly self-explanatory. Occasionally there will be segments like "Ring Ring Tactics" which run consecutively over the course of a season which have their own continuity, but in general, you're safe picking up one with a game you know---or don't know. Half the fun of the show is learning about games you've never encountered before.

ETA: The availability of the early episodes can be a little spotty at times---they were translated by TV-Nihon, a group of non-goons, and as such, the goonstaff can only rely on where they know the latest versions of the downloads exist.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 17, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You think they announced the loss of rights early so as to try and drum up more views to take back as an excuse to extend the rights? Or is that too grassy knoll?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

rdbbb posted:

I totally agree, but it's like trying to get everyone in this thread to watch an episode without subtitles at this point. I've tried different ways to get people to play 2, but it didn't always happen. (This is my indirect way of saying hurry up and buy it even if the fan translation never appears.)

I'm all for supporting the DS games, but, like, a lot of fans don't know poo poo about the Japanese language. Like me. I wouldn't be able to read word one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

rdbbb posted:

Hence GameFAQs. Hence not every game being a visual novel.

Hence if 'push start' isn't written in English, I'm not going to know what it says. Hence you're being kind of a dick. Hence knock it off.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not seeding yet, but the torrent is about to get excellent mathematically---just saw the seeder numbers jump to three, and I'm about five minutes out from joining that illustrious number.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ledneh posted:

Can I note at this point that we all have tens of gigabytes on our disks dedicated to watching a middle-age Japanese dude play old video games? :v:

(Not that this is a bad thing, mind, that Bomberman episode ruled)

I've been burning them to data DVDs season by season (and now that they're not doing goonseasons anymore, just when there's enough material to fill a DVD.)

I don't really have that much hard drive space to spare, so onto discs it goes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

The metric system is the easiest thing to understand. Zero is zero, anything below that is cold/freezing, 0-30 is the average temperature scale above the equator, anything beyond that is hot as gently caress. Water boils at 100.

There, you now know celsius. Fahrenheit? Where the gently caress do I even begin?

At the risk of even more derailing...

I'm all for getting America's head on straight as regards measurements, but, like, you gotta realize, just like for you guys where you instinctively sort of "know" how much these measurements are, (like you're aware of what a kilo is, how much weight that is in your hand) most Americans know instinctively what a pound feels like or a 70-degree day in May feels like. As Celsius goes, it's not a question of knowing where the freezing/boiling markers are. People can learn that all day, but it doesn't mean a drat thing most days. What people need to learn to be able to transition to Celsius is stuff like "It's thirty-five and muggy, why the gently caress are you not inside with the A/C on?" or "Springtime in the northeast, 11 degrees and rainy." That's not something you can just learn from knowing where water boils and freezes, you have to actively learn how it relates to the real world, and if you don't actively learn it as a child, it is a gigantic pain in the rear end, and you don't have time in your daily life to reprogram your brain to think in a way that most devices in your environment won't provide data for.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just got done with the Pac-Man 2 episode---the promo for the DVD box at the end mentions Mendel Palace---if that ever gets translated, maybe I can actually learn how the gently caress to play my copy of it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Soviets posted:

So this looks really awesome and all, but nearly every link I've clicked has been broken. Any plans on fixing that?

The previously-released material is being moved to torrents. Look through the last ten pages or so, you should find the links. They'll be inline in the OP eventually.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I should have registered under this name, I wasn't sure about the site, so I used my go-to username for less-reputable parts of the internet on it. Ah, well. I'm watching under the name Approximate. This is going to be a delightful challenge. Unfortunately, I should be asleep, since I need to be at my new job somewhere between 6 and 8 hours from now to get my photo ID done. Argh.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Did that password just take him to level 6?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I cannot believe he fell through it. That was amazing. Mode Seven is busy hating.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, Atlas is a goddamn hero for his stream. Which is still running. And I'm still watching it. I'm doomed. I'll probably fall asleep in the mid-afternoon or something, and with my luck, barely make it to my location shoot tomorrow morning augh.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sadly, I missed the end, having passed out about four and a half hours ago. Still had great fun, and it was the thread that made it possible. Whoo. Anyway.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Has Arino or any of the AD's ever appeared on Sauske/Ninja Warrior?

To the best of my knowledge and a quick search of the Sasuke wiki, no.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

9/10 it'll turn out the same as any other (V)LP and God knows there are enough of those already.

This is the basic truth right here. You need a conference room or other similarly brightly-lit locale, not a neckbeardy basement, a charming host (read "someone who is funny without quoting the internet"), crew members who are almost as interesting and personable as the host, and a very low-impact style. While GCCX's challenges are occasionally Intensely Dramatic, video LPers would (because they've never heard of an audio engineer, nor can they fathom why they'd want one) yell about everything and pin the needles and just make it a giant mess. Or worse, they'd try to do it over skype or Geeplusvidchat or whatever the gently caress it's called that Google's pushing these days, and we'd get to hear the delights of USB headset audio. But they'd still be yelling, because Americans Get Hype And Salty About Their Vidya. It would be a fg stream.

It wouldn't be polite, and that's the part that ruins it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Champignon posted:

There's actually not even a "normal mode" selection in the Japanese version, only one difficulty level is available. And agreed, Megaman is much more difficult than 2.

While we're nominating thread titles appearently, I really loved this one from the live steam event:
Game Center CX - Extensive Planning, Immediate Failure
(but the title is fine as it is maybe?)

Which is basically like Top Gear's "ambitious but rubbish" and/or "engineering excellence", thus going back full circle to the title we've got.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

And this: Probably not very work safe.

Sweet screaming gently caress. Why is this poo poo what people talk about and not real Japanese bands like Boris or Polysics or YMO or Boredoms or Potshot etc etc etc

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's so weird to think of an episode being pulled as a positive thing now, as opposed to the lurching aggression of Kotaku's seemingly-random consuming of goonsubs already completed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

There was me, that is Hamaguchi, and my boke, that is Arino. We were dressed in the heighth of fashion, and we sat in the studio trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. Then, balloons.

This is best, seriously.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Now, I'm curious what that robot voice actually says.

I've owned a copy of that record basically since it came out (exceedingly worth it if you're into eighties pop, the Robert Smith, Gary Numan and Dave Gahan tracks are phenomenal, and the remainder at least listenable) and I have never known.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

McLaglen posted:

"Prefacing broadcast", as in "This is the part that comes before the main show".

Nope. It comes at the end of the album.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Obeast posted:

Actually, Wikipedia says there were Japanese versions of both games (although the article for Tecmo Super Bowl doesn't show Famicom, but still lists the Japanese release date under NES :confused:).

I was just in my local retro game shop the other day (Game Over, ATX), making a terrible purchase spurred on by childhood memories against all that is good and holy and logical (an Atari 5200), and I believe I saw TSB in their Famicom section. I know TB was, and I THINK TSB was next to it in the case.

e: gently caress, I should ask them if they're going to carry the GCCX DVD when it comes out---they already have a gaming-related DVD rack.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Awesome update, Stranger. I'll be F5ing like mad soon enough.

In other news, I've been going back over the NES games of my youth and the episode list, wondering what I haven't seen that the show may have or may not have handled. I was reminded of a game I've never gotten past even the second stage of, even though I've always been hugely impressed by its graphics and such, Conquest of the Crystal Palace. I checked the wikipedia page for the title in Japanese to see if it had been done by GCCX by that name (Matendouji), but no dice. Sadness. I think it'd make a great episode, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Keyboard Kid posted:

Arino's play in SMW is just painful to watch. Had to skip through the last 15 minutes or so of that episode.
I dunno, I end up feeling uncomfortable whenever people talk about how easy certain video games are. It took me maybe two weeks (playing maybe an hour a day or thereabouts) to get TO the final stage, let alone beat it when I tried last year. I ended up giving up for several weeks before I came back to fight the last boss and finally beat the game. I mean, I'm probably a corner case, I can probably count the number of times I've played a Super Nintendo on my fingers (my family was kinda poor in the 90s, I basically missed the 16-bit era entirely.)

I mean, yeah, Arino's really bad, but, like, you gotta have some goddamn perspective about these things. Just because it's a thing that you can crush with both hands tied behind your back doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Well what if they're really, really, reeeeaaaaally bad at it but somehow manage to get by as if they weren't, are they allowed to say "it's pretty easy to do x" then? :colbert:

Well, that's when you start getting into the realm of the Dunning-Kruger Effect and other interesting psychological implications.

victrix posted:

So when are you guys going to pick some other strange and wonderful japanese tv show to translate?

Oh man, competent translation of Japanese TV that doesn't require Fanboy Japanese 101 or up-to-date glasses prescriptions and a magnifying glass to see through all the rainbow text and karaoke fonts? There's probably eight million shows that could be improved by this. This project really seems like a labor of love more than anything, though. I imagine that when Arino puts down his controller for the last time, SAGCCX will probably close its doors as well.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 11, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

I didn't know folks got so serious about their fansubs. I mean, the TV Nihon ones certainly don't do the show justice, but I'm not gettin' all the poo poo-talking going on.

To quote the OP of the tokusatsu thread:

Chibs posted:

Concerning TV-Nihon

TVN will gently caress up every show that you like, in short, and then get arrogant about it, basically saying that their non-translation (as in the examples above) is the best way to translate because you should know these Japanese words anyway because they're so common and to take them out would be to ruin the intent of what the original writers are saying and blah blah blah blah blah. They do a bad job and then blame the people who complain. Basically, it's a load of horseshit.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, good luck finding any arcades open, anywhere. The special feature in that case would probably just be them going to the Alamo Drafthouse or something, or to a pinball museum.

It's sad that so many of us had to grow up as the last generation that will have even heard of an "arcade".

Nah, there's way better places to go than to the Drafthouse (though the Drafthouse is an unstoppable movie machine.) Pinballz and Arcade UFO are both excellent, especially Pinballz, since it's got stacks of retro machines.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Neito posted:

Foo, bar and baz makes it look like there's a stronger connection between bar and baz than between anything else and foo.

Well, Lake and Palmer ARE the rhythm section.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

zari-gani posted:

Nice meeting you too! You'll be happy to know I did not shell out eight bucks for Super Monkey Adventures.

These are the GCCX challenge games I did pick up at the show:

Happy to see another Clover GCCX release 'cause they do fantastic work, and I can't wait to see how people like the DVD -- I don't have a copy of it yet myself. Thanks for the article about it, Ray. I hope it clears up some of the misinformation buzzing around. I'm fine with people not wanting to buy it as long as their decision is based on true facts.

I sincerely hope that Mendel Palace is in the queue for translation---I own it and have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in it, since my copy came sans manual.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

It certainly has a distinct cover.

What the balls is that?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Daikoku posted:

A guy I knew in elementary school actually owned Dragon Power, it makes even less sense if you've never heard of Dragonball:

Also for whatever reason they changed Goku's sprite:

He still smiles all the time and has a tail, but I guess they were hedging against somebody licensing the show?

If this game weren't so rare/obscure I think it would have made a lot more of the "Worst NES games ever" lists.

Holy poo poo, I didn't recognize the name at all, but I've seen that cover, it was at the video store I rented NES games from when I was a kid. (Fox Video, next to the Ben Franklin downtown---why do I remember this poo poo and not things like "where I left my keys?") Never rented it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wild Gunman.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

redmercer posted:

There's not a heck of a lot to that game. On the other hand, I keep hoping that Arino finds an original 1974 Wild Gunman machine somewhere just because I want to see one that works

I know - I was replying to the posts immediately above mine that seemed to be unable to figure out what lightgun game they were thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm actually already Guy #5 that played Kickle Cubicle back in the day---never beat it, though, there's one stage I can consistently get up to but never beat. I hope to see it in the episode so I can learn its secrets.