Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am probably going to go to Dairy Queen this afternoon because of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

univbee posted:

I would too if they didn't close them here during the winter. gently caress you, ice cream is delicious regardless of the temperature outside. :argh:

I am in Texas. It is never cold enough here for no ice cream. I wish it was.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The only reason I use VLC anymore is because I can't get MPC to disable acceleration without killing it on the video card. Yeah, I know this makes me bad at video. Actually no, I've just googled for information on this again and I still can't find anything. Not my goddamn fault, code a better options menu, MPC.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 18, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, calling back to the Famicom Converter conversation a few pages back, today I bombed through a few thrift stores, seeing what I could find, I thought I was king poo poo when I snagged a couple cartridges that looked promising only to get home and find I was a moron and had gotten the pinouts backwards in my head. When that conversation happened, I immediately ran to my current collection, to see if any matched, I found only one flat-head-screw black-label title, but it was a center-pin Gumshoe and I left it at that. Between then and now I apparently started thinking that center-pin meant converter and not the other way around. Welp.

e: On the other hand, I found cheap copies of MULE, Guerrilla War, Shadow of the Ninja and Goldeneye 007, so it wasn't all a loss.

ee: What about carts that have the correct (side) pinout but the wrong (three hex) screws?

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 20, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

makere posted:

I would love to see the reaction of the japanese audience, if the GCCX were to be released like this.

Think about it, japanese people importing a japanese TV-show from America....

I'm told this happens anyway, what with the high price of anime DVDs in Japan, often those dudes will pick up US releases for way cheaper, even with shipping.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

What thread am I supposed to go to talk more about AT and get more videos of it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426240 Ding.

It's not a goon translation project, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Obeast posted:

I would actually love a vending machine that did put out a small bowl of ramen or dried chicken noodle soup and filled it with hot water to cook in a few minutes.

I actually ran into one of these in a hotel in City of Industry, California. The water wasn't hot enough and it wasn't filtered very well/at all. Disappointing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

I really can't think of a neo-geo game that would make a challenge good enough to justify the investment. That and I'm pretty sure they were put off after the Fatal Fury Special challenge.

Magician Lord?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bpc908 posted:

I hope we get another unexpected episode tonight

Well then stop goddamn expecting it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I was always so disappointed that MXC is the way Takeshi's Castle was broadcast here. I seem to remember seeing maybe a subtitled version of TC on PBS decades ago, though maybe not. It might have just been one of those "check out this crazy poo poo from other countries" specials that FOX would occasionally air. Although I would totally buy DVDs of MXC if they had a subtitled version of the Japanese show instead of that weird, stupid dub which I can only assume was improvised on the spot.

Seconding this - I'm a huge fan of physical game shows (Kinniku Banzuke, Sasuke, It's A Knockout/Jeux Sans Frontieres, Wipeout/Total Wipeout, The Crystal Maze, etc.) and MXC just kind of makes me sad inside.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I couldn't possibly pick any one of these guys over the other.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The arcade game that they put behind his desk in the office where he does the challenges?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Obviously it's pop-gun target shooting.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Andorra posted:

Yeah, I was going to say this. I don't know who any of these people are that the thread is mentioning.

Suzuki and Nomo are baseball players, the rest are actors of various stripes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You'd probably know the answer if you knew how things worked around here at all!

(Yes. The mods have way better things to do than to repeatedly harass one shitposter.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

AzraelDarkheart posted:

I can't wait to start seeing little development segments in the new episodes! :allears:

I can. The development segments are easily my least favorite, with the possible exception of the barcode game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Presumably there's some other event at the venue. Or Arino's already scheduled for something else that Monday. There doesn't seem to be an easily-accessible Budokan schedule page, much less one in English.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"Thanks, GCX is always a bit of a slog to get through and I think we end up making the most mistakes in it because Arino's accent is difficult and after a while you just don't care anymore. If you're interested, there's always translation positions open~"

In response to several translation corrections. Holy poo poo, TVN.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Huh...I don't recognize Shadow Lands at all by name, and I don't think I have it (unless it's one of those episodes I burned off to DVD way back in the day when I had no HD space...)

Welp, downloading!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kakaricho posted:

The next challenge (#173) is "Oishinbo Ultimate Menu: Three Bout Contest" on the Famicom. (美味しんぼ 究極のメニュー三本勝負). zari-gani wins!

Some gameplay footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0cASXGyXI

Holy poo poo, Pictures at an Exhibition.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh, there's no way that Japanese media is that obsessed with Prince Ig---

Wikipedia posted:

Different adaptations of No. 17 "Gliding Dance of the Maidens" have been featured as background music in several Japanese animated TV series, including Princess Tutu, Noir, and Kare Kano, while it is given a special significance in RahXephon. The track "The Garden of Everything" on the top 10 Maaya Sakamoto single "Tune the Rainbow" uses it as a sub-melody.
An arranged version of the song was created and used as the opening theme to the PlayStation 2 video game, The Sword of Etheria. The vocals are performed by Martha Matsuda. This arrangement was adapted for 'Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 2.'
An arranged version of the song was used as one of the themes for the puzzle stages in the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 video game, Catherine.
The opening theme of the 2012 Japanese anime series "Appleseed XIII" is an adaptation of the original melody.

:stare:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Sounds like an old-fashioned sumo game, called "Tap-Tap Sumo". You put two stand-up cutouts (or origami figures) of sumo wrestlers (or anything else, really) on the bottom of an overturned box and tap the box to move your wrestler in the hopes that he'll take down your opponent's. Just a fun thing to do.

Huh, it's the prototype for Electric Football.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The New Iron Chef looked really good, it's a shame it neither got any ratings nor got any sub groups working on it. I watched some of it raw, it was fun, but still needed some level of translation to explain some of the more esoteric cooking activities.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Fear not! I have it on good authority that GCCX owes it's success to this thread. So they wouldn't want to upset the people who put them on the map, amirite?

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, I just spent the last bit while waiting for this DVD to burn playing Solomon's Key and getting as far as I ever have in the time that I've owned the thing.

Stage 10.

That'd be a candidate for sure.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It depends on when you're talking about. In the early days, it was always, like, Magician Lord, Sengoku, NAM-1975 and Ninja Combat. Without fail.

The latter days, it'd be a Metal Slug and a Magical Drop. I almost never saw four-slot machines, and if I did, they'd have KOF and Super Sidekicks carts to go with the slug and drop.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't think it's either-or. Drakengard has got way more soul than, say, Cobra Command for the NES, but the old Yuji Horii mystery games have more soul than any Oh But The Troops-style first-person shooter you care to name.

Man, don't knock Cobra Command. That's one of the most perfect frustration generators ever produced on this planet. (I've never beaten the second stage.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nested Murder Statements: Doloop While Murder

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Robodemon posted:

Sega Hard Girls Anime

This sounds incredibly like something we probably shouldn't pay attention to.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Encha277 posted:

I know this isn't directly related to Gamecenter CX, but I wanted to mention a show that aired in Japan last fall called "No Continue Kid". It's about a teenager growing up in a gamecenter and each episode focuses on a particular arcade or NES game. The show features a fair bit of actual gameplay content and goes over tips and tricks.

There are 12 episodes total, each ~24 minutes each. There is a subbing group that has translated 5 episodes so far and they post a new one every Saturday.

Some of the games featured so far are Xevious, Pacman, Pole Position, Tower of Druaga & Dragon Quest 2.

If you haven't watched a Japanese drama before, it might be a little hard to get into, but the gaming portions are pretty interesting and nostalgic.

What you didn't mention is how incredibly loving hard it is to get ahold of episodes and subs. I've been through several torrent sites, a few forums, and I've just now found the raws...blu-ray rips of the whole series, in 44 parts on free hosting sites, all rared up and listed on a completely different forum from where the subs were. A friend of mine who works in translation has related to me this is related to an amazing level of paranoia on the part of J-Drama fandom surrounding not wanting to get shut down for copyright infringement. Like, will only share files through locked invite-only livejournal communities and trying to figure out how to watermark individually downloaded files so they can track who leaked a particular copy of a video if it's shared anywhere else. loving incredible.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also what does google owning a thing have to do with SA rules?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mega apparently thinks the file is larger than a gig and is demanding I install their browser extension. Blar.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Firefox.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Solved it - firefox basically starts chunking on everything once it's eating enough RAM and Mega throws an error if firefox doesn't allow it enough RAM.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This is why I don't play fighting games.

Or chess.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress you I was a kid with terrible reflexes. I saw the huge chaos emerald room just once :(

I didn't even know that Super Sonic was a thing until I was in my 20s

in the 2000s.

I never owned a Genesis, but, yeah.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't Startropics an RPG or something? That might be trickier than a platformer.

It's got RPG elements, but the bulk of the gameplay is platforming.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

Wait, Konami is dead?

Or it was something else then that's dead now?

Konami has left the video game market, and is focusing on pushing their IPs in the hugely-lucrative field of pachinko machines.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What's the Japanese response been in the past to Western games getting featured on the show, like Battletoads or Lemmings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's not all that tough, no, but how much do you wanna bet Arino's gonna miss like three to five powerups every stage and have to loop around several times?