Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does anyone have a bigger/clearer pic of that Arino Mii poster? Totally wanna scan that code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shady3011 posted:

Xseed's expectations for the first game were ridiculous though. 100,000 copies for a game that only a small percentage of purchasers would know the source material for? I mean, this is the same company that put out that Wizard of Oz RPG on the DS and that was even more niche than Retro Game Challenge.

From what I recall, they were planning on releasing the game in tandem with a localised broadcast of the show, but the licensees of the show never followed through.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the closest thing I can find to an answer about the eggplant thing, from this interview with Toru Osawa (the Kid Icarus creator), Sakamoto, Hiroji Kiyotake (Samus/Wario designer) and Kenji Yamamoto (composer of various Metroid games, Punch-Out, Famicom Wars, etc):

quote:

Regarding that, it doesn't seem like a Nintendo game, as there is a little bit of "black essence".

Osawa: Sakamoto and myself put something together, or we when patch up a game, when it came out, it has relatively dark humor. For example, we also made the game For the Frog the Bell Tolls (1992) together, and the senses of Sakamoto and myself happen to coincide, so I think it seems dark humor comes out easily. Kid Icarus, however, uses an eggplant; there is this guy who throws eggplants. I thought about him at just the right time! (Laughs)

All: (Laughs)

Osawa: Kid Icarus was developed in the winter bonus season, and I thought about this character at the time when the summer bonus came out. When I thought, "The bonus is coming out very soon--!" I made a rod that uses eggplants to hit you with eggplants, so bonus! (Laughs)

Everyone: (Laughs heartily)

Osawa: However, because that alone didn't make any sense, it places a curse, and throws it with a flash when that enemy hits you. So that was why the protagonist turns into an eggplant. However, because there was no storage to put in a character turned into an eggplant, I attached the eggplant on top, and attached the legs to this, and what I did was absurd.

Sakamoto: Those days, in one part of the development staff, everyone was strange! (Laughs) These were people who honestly said, "If we made a wizard, and it would also use eggplants, that wouldn't be weird?" And these people would mysteriously agree, "Yeah. That's not strange!" (Laughs)

All: (Laughs)

Sakamoto: They'd say, "Using eggplants isn't strange at all. Well, shall we put it in?"

Osawa: Before that, didn't Mr. Sakamoto make Wrecking Crew? At that time, there was an eggplant mask, called Eggplant Man. Because I liked it, although I didn't know it, I had a passion for eggplants! (Laughs) Well, I said, "Icarus should have this," and I drew a guy who uses eggplants.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

zari-gani posted:

Weird how the joke wasn't explained, but bou = stick (or rod in this case) and nasu = eggplant, so bou-nasu, just so people don't think Toru Osawa is insane.

I'm not sure which version I like better - the one where Toru Osawa loves terrible puns, or the one where he enjoyed torturing the player and then telling them it's a "bonus". I guess they're both true to a degree, but it seems so much less sadistic now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That game was supposed to get a DX re-release for GBC which presumably would have been localised, but it went the way of Metroid II DX and Kirby's Dream Land 2 DX. Shame, it's a neat, quirky game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I'm guessing it's Famitan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Funny you should mention Ikki... I was reading about Cave Story 3D the other day, and for the Japanese release they added a bunch of extra playable characters, one of which is the farmer guy from Ikki. Major WTF moment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No, the three extra characters are exclusive to the Japanese version. I have no idea if they actually play any differently or if they're just sprite swaps, either. Here they are:

Dragon Slayer dude:

Crazy Climber:

Ikki dude:

All really weird choices; I have no idea how they managed to clear them all, either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Famitan games are still really high-regarded in Japan, aren't they? They seem to show up on "best-of" Nintendo lists a lot, and as far as I know they were the highest-selling FDS games behind Zelda.

They're also the games that established Yoshio Sakamoto as the "story guy" within Nintendo, so they're interesting from that perspective.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't read the link above me, but the tl;dr is that NOA didn't want to follow up the first game with Lost Levels, so when Miyamoto and others noticed that Doki Doki Panic was outselling Lost Levels in Japan they naturally decided to retool it as SMB2 for the international market.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mister Chief posted:

What were the major differences between the FDS and the Famicom? Basically all the FDS games were later released on the NES so they differences couldn't have been that great.

The three big differences were the cache of rewritable data on each disk that could be used for save files, the extra sound channel that allowed for wavetable synthesis, and the general increase of space afforded by the relative cheapness of disks compared to cartridges at the time. You could also send you disks away to Nintendo to have them re-written with new games for much less than the price of buying new, and there were even kiosks at certain stores that'd let you do it yourself.

That being said, FDS games were very easy to pirate, and by the time it actually went on the market people were producing regular Famicom carts that used as much capacity as a FDS disk, so it didn't really take off.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Moai" is just shorthand for "mysterious alien crap", I guess, but I have no idea where it started.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Gradius team added moais as a response to the Nazca-ish environments in Xevious, but I had no idea where the idea originated. Chariots of the Gods seems like a fairly safe guess, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's something about Mario games in particular that completely overwhelms him. I really don't get it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shyguys didn't make any more appearances until Yoshi's Island, did they? When did they next show up after that? I think their addition to the "canon" was basically just Tezuka bringing 'em back for YI because he thought they were neat.

edit: actually, they were in Link's Awakening before then, another Tezuka game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, they show up all the time in the spinoffs and are a staple enemy in the Yoshi games but I don't think they've ever appeared in the "real" games beyond SMB2, have they?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Looking at the wiki now, the Shyguy-esque creature from SM64 is this thing which is so close to being a Shyguy it might as well be one. I can't be arsed reading up on the other games but I guess it's a similar deal there, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, Ninja Gaiden really isn't that bad given that it controls well and you can beat it through sheer attrition.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Aside from the Neo Geo Pocket stuff, I can't think of a single handheld fighting game port from before the PSP/DS generation that wasn't complete garbage.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder how close it actually is to the real thing... I remember trying the GBA versions of SF2, Guilty Gear, etc and while they looked good at first glance the were actually really hilariously broken.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What does Sierra have to do with Comix Zone?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zeether posted:

I played one of the games featured in the "Collection" segments just now:

It's pretty fun, but I can't get past the first castle :(

The trick to doing well in Nazo no Murasamejou is finding as many secret pickups as you can - there's at least one on every screen, often two. Working out which ninjas are a priority and which aren't is helpful, too, since the game will throw craploads of enemies at you in the later levels.

Hideki Kamiya from Platinum said he'd like to make a new Murasamejou game given the chance, which I kinda hope he's allowed to do, even more than Star Fox.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That reminds me... I heard that Umihara Kawase Shun went up on the JP PSN the other day.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Arino amigurumi!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Doc Hawkins posted:

The Japanese one already is.

It's less obvious now than in season 1, but it's still really, really obvious.

I think the fact that they're playing decades-old games instead of contemporary stuff is what keeps it from being completely intolerable. You just know that "Retro Game Master USA" or whatever would end up being an marketing exercise with some dude playing old games in order to push new ones, rather than just playing neat games for the sake of it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo did a bunch of Robin/Zelda Williams commercials for the anniversary celebrations and OOT3D last year, so I can't imagine she's too irritated by it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think I enjoy watching him try western-made games the most - the way he reacts to games like Prince of Persia, Battletoads and Flashback is really interesting to me for whatever reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just watched the Iwata clip, cool stuff. Pity they didn't play two-player co-op, but Balloon Trip was always the draw of that game anyway. Of all the 3DS ambassador games I think Balloon Fight is the one I've played the most, and it's all thanks to Balloon Trip.

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Man I was looking forward to this one, as its one of the games I played on the amiga when I was a kid. Although I cant remember anything about it apart from it having cool music.

That's pretty much the quintessential Amiga experience - cool music, forgettable everything else.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

serialrobinson posted:

Man, First Samurai just provides more evidence for my theory that EU developed games are mostly just piles of junk shoved together with "craaaaazzzzy" graphical effects.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true nowadays but in the C64/Amiga era that was definitely the case - lots of flashy tech demos masquerading as games but few titles that were actually fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shenmue Online was that Korean game where Ryo turns into a phoenix to fight dragon-Lan Di, right?

While we're on the subject, here's a trailer for the Korean Makaimura MMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexy0wWEGsw

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

For what it's worth it's also available on Steam in the Genesis classics 5 pack for $7.50 or on its own for $2.99. Cheaper if you wait for the Christmas sale, of course.

You're thinking of Monster World, one of the Mega Drive sequels. Monster Land, the arcade game which Bikkuriman World is based on, is out on PSN/XBLA/Wii VC but not Steam, and the same goes for Monster World IV.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, even if you just confine things to the six "official" games it can be confusing - there are two games named "Wonder Boy III", for instance, and the one with "Monster" in the title is the one that's NOT part of the Monster World sub-series.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

You have my deepest condolences.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Phantasy Star is one of my favourite games from that era and definitely the best game on Master System, but it'd be even less interesting as a spectator than something like Dragon Quest. So many virtually indistinguishable dungeons!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's hoping for Umihara Kawase Shun!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Playable dolphin? Probably one of the Aero Fighters games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Random question: are there any other sources for the little 8-bit pictures of the GCCX staff members, aside from the DVD box art?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're gonna punctuate the challenge with footage from the in-house AD rap battle.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tobaccrow posted:

Moments where Arino says something seemingly innocuous and the staff laughs really loudly has made me realize there's a lot about Japanese humor I don't understand.

Who the hell is that laughing guy, anyway? I swear it's the same guy every time, perpetually hidden off-camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You could always give this thing a shot:

http://barcodebattler.co.uk/simulator/index.htm