Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

There's a real hazard in working on the show where you'll get the game tunes stuck in your head. You listen to the same fifteen second clip of music over and over and over and you just can't get rid of it.

This episode has been a really bad one for that too. I'm going to be hearing that song in my head for weeks.

I've had the Kamen Rider theme stuck in my head for similar reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

I wish Nipponophile would stop by and at least say something about that tsundere thing with Downtown but it seems like that thing is never getting subbed :(

Long story short: Lots of work has been done already. More work needs to be done.

I have all kinds of excuses as to why it's taken this long, but most of them are terrible, so I'll spare you those. It should be out soon, for a given value of soon.

Just so you know that work actually has been done:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Anyone looking to get into some Bomberman action, get Super Bomberman for SNES with Turbo Tap.

If you really want to see some chaos, there's a Sega Saturn version that supports ten players using two splitters. We used to play that on the projector after our college anime club showings. It's definitely one of the best party games ever.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

:siren: The Game Center CX Threat Level Has Been Raised to Deluge :siren:

Please seek shelter immediately.

Oh no! :ohdear:

What should we do, Hitoshi Matsumoto?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I don't know how established it is, but I matched the on-screen Japanese subs. Hamada is blue, Matsumoto is red, Arino green, and Hamaguchi orange.

I'm back on track with this after letting it sit for a long time, so it will be coming out, no matter how many deluges Random Stranger (and friends) throws at us. I just don't want to give out a time or date because I don't want to get people's hopes up then get distracted for a while playing Minecraft or whatever instead of finishing it.

I'd originally planned on not mentioning anything about the project at all until it was ready for release since I am painfully aware of the tendency for my interest to wander, but I forgot to swear our favorite translator to an oath of silence, and she brought it up when someone asked about the episode.

Once I'm done, I'll crosspost to your Japanese TV thread, since I'm sure there'll be some interest there.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 30, 2012

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Don't dismiss them as "and friends".

Believe me, that was not my intention. I had originally slipped that in as an offhand comment with just your name, then I realized that I should acknowledge everyone else, but I didn't know all the names. :(

You're 100% correct that everyone deserves credit. This is easily the most impressive fansub project I have seen in more than 15 years, and every team member has helped make it so. I am constantly impressed with the quality of translation, text layout, and overall consistency of every release.

Random Stranger, zani-gani, Nagoyan, Gutcruncher, univbee, miscellaneous14, you are all doing great work, and if you ever find yourselves in my neck of the woods, the beer's on me.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Here's a quick question: What did Inouye (Inoko Max) do during the Takeshi's Challenge Live Challenge that got such a negative reaction?

A very cheesy Beat Takeshi impression, apparently.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

How many more days until the live show? Ten days?! Eight days?!

But are those metric or imperial days? I really wish you'd give us more notes.

Personally, Celsius to Fahrenheit never gave me much of an issue, but I'm one of those weird guys who can multiply a number by 9/5 then add 32 in his head. This does not make me as popular at parties as you might expect.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

A lot of the ones I want to do, either someone else has called dibs on them or we'd have to find better video files of (some of the more recent episodes, and yes that includes Battletoads).

Better video files? Hmmm, that should be doable...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

It's still better than the ugly flv files that are out there. I can fix most of these things. It's just that if I can find something better it would be nice.

I did some poking around last night, but only found 640x360 30fps versions of the Battletoads episodes. I'll do some more digging over the weekend.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That poster is amazing. I've had some heavy stuff going on this week, and I've been pretty depressed, but that really helped pick me up this morning.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Oh my god. Law of the West for the Famicom. Bought!

Ah, that's such a classic. I spent many hours playing the Apple II version at home and school.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Liku posted:

This episode had me scouring eBay for a week trying to win this god drat game (and it's controller) and I don't even have an Xbox. Didn't go higher than $150 but the auctions always did, people will pay a lot for it and it makes me sad since I'll probably never play it. :(

The game retailed for $200 when it was still in print, and it was a fairly small run, so you shouldn't expect to find it dirt cheap anywhere. I paid something like $230 for my copy. On the plus side, if you do pick one up, you should be able to get an Xbox for pretty cheap these days.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Guess who Discotek Media is hiring to re-translate all the episodes.

:j:

Ahaha, holy poo poo! How long have you been sitting on this? I'm gonna buy me some copies. Can't wait to get Ninja Gaiden and Bonanza Bros.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

iastudent posted:

Apologies if this has been already discussed in the thread, but is there any easy way of getting the Go by Train! games, like through JP PSN or other digital distribution without having to import a physical copy?

Well, you'll have to order the controller anyway, so...

Wait. Don't tell me you were planning on trying the game without the official controller???

Serious note: A friend of mine made a trip to Japan some years ago and made it back with a suitcase full of Saturn and PS1 games including Go by Train. We putzed around with it for a few hours, but I don't think any of us even made the first station. It's definitely one of those "harder than it looks" games.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Here's that opening (starts around 0:08 -- it's the longest opening to a show I've ever seen, holy); Japanese comedy fans may see a very familiar face...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDOIt3dwkls

I was watching that thinking, "That can't be him, he's not hitting anyone on the... Oh, wait. I guess that is him..."

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Zelda II would kick his rear end thoroughly. I'd love to see that episode, since it'd almost certainly be a 2-parter(if he got the option). I mean, if he can beat Battletoads at this point then I'm sure he and the ADs can power through but it's still a difficult game, especially relative to the series as a whole, which usually holds your hand most of the game.

I don't know about all that. You can grind enemies for stats, which is what got me through the game, and I'm sure that's exactly what Arino would do, based on his previous gameplay.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Someone's working on it, but he's a terrible person and is taking way too long.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Well, I know some of you guys have been waiting on me to finish up work on the Arino/Downtown sketch I'm subbing, but I can finally break silence on one of the things that's been keeping me busy instead!

That's right! It's the English language debut of...

Ero-Game Center SEX!

The show follows the same format we're all familiar with, albeit with a perky new host:

Incidentally, the title she uses here is Shunin, the same one Arino held way back in season one.

And one or two... slight differences:

In this episode, Shina challenges an ero-game classic:

Naturally, she has the support of highly qualified ADs to assist her through the game:

But remember those differences I mentioned? Yeah...

That's right. Each hint or bad end costs our host an item of clothing.

Of course the setting would not be complete without a table full of snacks and cooling pads:

Shina manages an Arino-like stroke of bad luck by getting a game over before even reaching the title screen:

But, demonstrating Arino-like resilience, she bounces back to clear the prologue after a total of one hour spent. As reward, Shina receives her own official Ero-Game Center SEX name card:

What happens next? Where does the challenge go after this?

That's where YOU come in! Project SAEGCSEX is in need of translators, timers, typesetters, and quality checkers. Ideal candidates must be familiar with common Japanese sexual fetishes and slang, have the ability to focus on grammar and font selection despite the presence of boobs on screen, and possess an encyclopedic knowledge of hentai games.

There is currently no English language information available online about Ero-Game Center SEX, so this is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of the fandom. I'm hoping to have some wiki articles and episode guides up by the end of the month, and I'll undoubtedly need help maintaining them. I am confident that together we can make Something Awful the premier source of information for Ero-Game Center SEX on the internet. Please feel free to PM me or mail me at NipponophileSA at Gmail if you think you've got the right stuff.

I don't know about you guys, but it's still April 1st where I'm at.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I know you are joking, but I want this to happen. Well, just one episode.

It would have to be just one, because that's all I've been able to find so far.

Random Stranger posted:

There's a lot of text overlays you have to do for that one too...

Not me, my roles in SAEGCSEX would be purely Raw Provider and Team Coordinator.

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Another April Fools Day, another instance of really wanting something that's clearly a joke.

Obeast posted:

This would've been the best April Fool's gift.

Well, if I can get some responses to my request for team members...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Huh, that isn't what my math comes out to.

This comment made me check the list in the OP. Is there any reason why things skip from Season 15 to Season 17?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Director Inoue :3:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

"Here's a fax from Nina Sakamoto." "Oh, it's written in Japanese!" "I think she has Japanese ancestors or something."

No, no, it's Matsumoto... You know, like this guy:

Yeah, it's taken me way longer than it should have to finish the timing and typesetting on this, but I'm almost done and I mean it this time. If I don't have it finished by the end of this weekend, I will submit to whatever manner of batsu game is deemed appropriate.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure that's actually the place where Starfleet Academy is.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Way before that.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
415 can be phonetically pronounced Yo-I-Ko in Japanese, like his comedy team.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So here's a link to a thing: http://depositfiles.com/files/aey8v1x35

If anyone wants to mirror or set up a torrent, please do so. Hosting is impossible for me since I'm on a metered bandwidth plan.

EDIT: Thanks to Gutcruncher for starting up a torrent!
Download torrent81 (1 file; 499.88 MB)
View torrent stats

For those of you joining us late:
This is a project that's been in the works for a while. It's a segment from a variety show called Lincoln, which regularly features famous comedians Downtown and four other comedy teams. One of their recurring bits is a segment called "Friendly Downtown", where a comedy team is invited to spend time with Downtown and speak only using informal language. If they slip up and accidentally speak formally, they get slapped. This particular episode is relevant to our interests because the guests are Arino-kachou and his partner Masaru Hamaguchi. Yoiko take Downtown to Akihabara and engage in some stereotypical nerd pastimes.

A note on "formal language":
The Japanese language is very culturally sensitive, and you are expected to address others in a manner befitting the relationship between you. This goes beyond the name suffixes like -san or -kun that you may be familiar with, as even verbs and adjectives conjugate differently based on the level of politeness used. There are multiple reasons why Yoiko should be using the polite forms with Downtown including coming from different companies and being "junior" in terms of time in the industry.

One problem is that this doesn't translate to English at all. I think Zari-gani tried to make the "informal" responses sound a little cruder, but it's pretty much impossible to translate over directly since English doesn't have a linguistic equivalent to the politeness levels. If you keep an eye on the Japanese subs, you can tell when they slip up, as the subtitles will be in an angry red. Or you can just watch for when someone gets slapped. That's a good indicator too.

Notes on timing:
The two people I showed this to first responded that the "timing is great" and that the subtitles went by "way too fast". I'm leaning more towards the latter myself, but I felt it necessary to keep the speed up for several reasons. For one, it helps keep up the pace of their interactions. So much of comedy is dependent on timing, and I didn't want people reading a joke before the line is delivered or still be reading a joke when the dialogue has moved on. For another, I tried to reduce screen clutter by not having more than a couple of lines onscreen at one. With the rapid back-and-forth of some of their conversations, if I left the text up longer, multiple lines would start to pile up. It's already pretty busy with the Japanese subs and captions, I tried not to make it worse. Finally, of course, if I went back and re-timed the whole thing, who knows when I'd get finished? I've been sitting on this long enough, and I wanted to get it out there for you guys to enjoy. I'll continue to work on reaching a better balance with the timing on whatever I work on next, so I'm interested in hearing people's feedback.

The translation is by Zari-gani, who as usual turned out fantastic work. All the credit goes to her, and any mistakes were totally my fault.

I'm very interested to hear from everyone with opinions or comments on this episode. Reach me at NipponophileSA at Google mail. Like I said, I'm hoping to get some new projects moving forward, so watch this space for further developments.

tl;dr

Please watch these middle-aged men playing videogames.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 29, 2012

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Nipponophile, I'm sorry to do this to you but I won't have an opportunity to post this for a few days if I don't do it right now.

Don't even worry about it. It's not like we're having a competition. The more stuff that gets released, the better for everyone.

Gutcruncher posted:

Started a torrent for Downtown vs Yoiko: Millionaire Fighting 2012

Thanks a ton for this. I'm going to edit it into my last post.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Haha, I love that watching the LINCOLN segment allowed me to answer a question correctly about Kamen Rider in the GCCX episode.

Between timing, typesetting, quality checking, and briefly toying with the idea of doing karaoke highlighted timing on that part, I've probably watched that song a couple of dozen times now. I'm pretty sure I could sing it from memory.

It's weird how the pop-culture references start to synergize as you absorb more of them. I finally got around to watching the Gaki no Tsukai No-Laughing Airport special this weekend, and there's a performer who does a parody version of "Romantic ga Tomaranai", which I immediately recognized from the GCCX segment.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Here's a thread for all the Japanese comedy needs you never knew you had until now:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426240

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Kibe is a tremendous nerd. It's no wonder that the rest of us tremendous nerds can relate to him.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I think my best recommendation would be the episode that summarizes the Lemmings 24 hour challenge. It's got a bit of everything that makes the show so great: staff assists, elaborate props, live audience interaction, Abe cooking, sleep deprivation, and a down to the wire ending.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's more of a dialect/accent thing than politeness. I have seen it frequently used by maids or other female servants, but I think that's more akin to a butler having a stereotypical British accent.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I have a good friend who has experienced that. His parents are from Taiwan and Japan, but he was born and raised in the States and speaks only English. When he goes to Japan, he gets frowns and harsh glares when he stumbles over phrasebook Japanese, while his blond-haired, blue-eyed wife is cut a bit more slack.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

Why you would watch the former when the latter is far and away better is beyond me though. Unless you just wanted to laugh at how terrible the whole thing was.

There are people who outright refuse to watch anything with subtitles and will insist on a dub no matter how bad it is. When I went to see the original limited release of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, a couple in front of me walked out five minutes in when they realized the whole thing was going to be subtitled.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I agree with that, plus I get the feeling that they were working with next to no budget. One voiceover is cheaper than more voiceovers.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That's Stravinsky, you uncultured swine!

Edit: Suuuuure you did...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Corridor posted:

Oh god... aaaagh! What is the music that plays in GCCX 017 SMW pt1, 13:50 to 14:10? I've heard it like a million billion times before, like it was in a video I had as a kid maybe. It's driving me insane :catstare:

That's the hook from somebody's cover of "Land of 1000 Dances".

Here's the most popular version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWoQ_pZtXCY

And here's the part of my childhood that I know it from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_mMXeDjg4

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Both of these new releases were great. Fantastic job, guys.

I think Paris-Dakar Rally is the most schizophrenic racing game I've ever seen, and that's coming from someone whose favorite racing game is described as a "CarPG". Binary Land was a great choice for the "Puzzle Chief", and I love how they chose to gloss over most of the gameplay in favor of the Romantic Episode questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Another one of my friends was nonplussed by stuff like that, but was really into the Street Fighter II episode. He used to play SF competitively back in the day, and the character he'd dedicated himself to: Dhalsim.

That seems really weird to me. I know a bunch of guys who are hardcore fighting gamers, but SFII is the last episode I would pick to get them hooked. Watching someone play a fighting game badly would probably cause them actual physical pain.