Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Finally caught up with the thread again! I got behind on the show around the end of the last thread when I was without an internet connection for a few months, and didn't start catching up until a few months ago.

I have a question about the Ninja Gaiden II episode on the DVD. Just after 1:03:35 when one of the staff members tells Arino he only has two health points left in the area with a bunch of fireballs, the video and audio glitch out for a second or two. I still had the SA Team version of the episode so I checked the same spot, and it doesn't happen in the fansub and thus isn't a problem with the source footage. Is this a problem with all copies of the DVD, or just an error with my specific copy? If it's just my copy I'll try to get in contact with Discotek to get a replacement because I'm anal about these kinds of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

xamphear posted:

Most likely yes. It happens on my copy.

Thanks for the response, glad I don't have to worry about it then.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Klades posted:

Most, if not all, AVGN episodes are on NicoNico subbed in Japanese.

Sometimes I watch them just to see what points of the episode cause the on-screen comments to turn into a massive wall of 'wwwwwwwwwwwwwww' :v:

How do you get Japanese comments to show up? I made an account for this very reason but I think it's only showing other English account comments.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. For anyone else who's having the same problem go to the very bottom of the homepage and change your region to Japan and language to Japanese.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 13, 2013

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Hirayuki posted:

I've noticed some subtitle typos and other errors in a couple of recent videos and saw that they were both from the two new translators. I'm glad there are more translators on board to help bring GCCX to the English-speaking fan community, but the flubs chip away at the overall excellent quality of GCCX subs. Do you have someone to give subs a once-over before they're timed and inserted? Do you need someone? I'd be happy to lend a hand.

I don't think this is a new problem, I usually notice at least one typo per episode. It's always pretty minor stuff, but it trips me up when watching.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Blackchamber posted:

Ask for your money back. Or see what other translation teams have to offer?

This is kind of why I never mentioned it, but at the same time I don't think something being free should mean you can't criticism it, especially when the criticism could only strengthen the product. By the same logic we shouldn't have complained about TV Nihon's super literal translations back when they were the only ones subbing GCCX.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
For the record I'm pretty sure when he was talking about the subtitles being lesser quality, he was talking about the lack of overlays for on-screen text like the fansubs have, not the quality of the translation itself.

Mister Crane posted:

And the EXTRA subs on the dvd aren't near as good as the fan subs either due to the limitations of dvd subtitles or because the just didn't feel they were that important.

The DVDs do get cluttered when there's multiple subtitles on screen correlating to multiple text boxes. It is a limitation of DVD subtitles, but they could edit the video tracks themselves to add the text. Even if they don't have textless versions to work with (which I'm pretty sure is the case) they could just overlay boxes on the text the way the fansubs do, just by editing the video rather than through subtitle magic.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Edit: I'm dumb, nothing to see here.

The idea of not liking the Parappa episode is weird to me, even disregarding the game's lyrics I thought it was a pretty fun episode.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 12, 2013

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
That was a really fun episode. It was a small detail, but I really liked how after the montage of Arino moments just before the final match of the Street Fighter tournament, they fade out to Arino starting off into nothingness daydreaming for a second before turning his attention to the arcade cabinet, as if the recap had just happened in his mind rather than just being part of the show. It was a really nice touch on the editor's part.

Also, I've got a small question for the translators that I'm curious about since it came up in this episode. Every time a game based on Journey to the West appears on the show, the subs use the Japanese approximations for the character names (i.e. Son Goku for Sun Wukong). I was curious what the reasoning behind this is since Journey to the West is a Chinese story, so it seems odd to use the Japanese translations of the character names.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 15, 2013

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Random Stranger posted:

Just as a point here, the original Phoenix Wright GBA game wasn't brought over as a DS game in English. There was a remake in Japanese for the DS and that game was localized. It's not like they decided to bring out a GBA game on the DS for international markets like you're implying.

Yes, but the second and third game were both ported to the DS with the international market in mind because of the unexpected success of the first game. That's the big difference though; Phoenix Wright was actually successful.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I don't really understand Super Mario 64 getting hate, it wasn't a great episode but it had some good moments. The rest of the list I can understand though, even if I do like a few other episodes on it.

"Actually Arino, that particular enemy cannot be defeated" *Enemy falls over dead*

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

bpc908 posted:

That Didn't stop Ocarina of Time from being a challenge

Ocarina of Time doesn't have a bad cutscene to gameplay ratio, it's just that you do so many things over the course of the game that it's hard to even compress it into a two-parter. Metal Gear Solid is literally half cutscenes if you know exactly what to do though. It'd be fun seeing Arino react to things like finding Meryl's frequency or when he inevitably fails the torture sequence, but for the most part it would probably be a boring episode and mainly consist of the narrator summing up the plot.

I think the MSX Metal Gear games would make a great challenge though, but they'd have to play one of the rereleases to capture footage of them. I'd especially love watching Arino struggle with all of the bullshit puzzles in Metal Gear 2.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Gutcruncher posted:

I just realized that with the 3DS eshop and all, getting a new GCCX game in NA and EU isnt all that impossible. Assuming that the game is another compilation, selling us each game for a few bucks sounds like less of a risk than releasing the game as a whole. They did exactly the same thing with Guild 01 and it seemed to work fine.

You're assuming this game has the same structure as the previous games though. Even if it was the same developer there's no guarantee it would be a collection of faux-retro games. It could be a quiz game for all we know.

Edit: I somehow missed the part where you said you were speculating. Still, with a different developer I don't think the game will be another game collection. If it was why wouldn't they just use indieszero again?

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

univbee posted:

That may have changed in later years, but in the early days they were definitely playing secondhand copies (I remember Takeshi's Castle they talked about how much the game cost), I suspect they just had a well-used copy of the game (I don't think there's any built-in functionality to reset all progress); you don't have to do it all in one go. Each time you "clear" it it adds a flashing star to the title screen which persists through power outs (and you get 3 for clearing the game warpless). Remember one of the main reasons for putting out the FDS was to allow saving, which cartridges weren't letting them do at the time. Once there are 24 stars the game will let you do World 9.

Aren't you thinking of Worlds A through D? I could have sworn 9 was just from beating the game warpless in the FDS version.