Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah, I suppose. It's a 'hanko' stamp, which is a stamp with someone's name on it basically. It's basically used in place of a signature. You use hanko for a lot of things, like signing for packages at home, paying bill, and marking documents in the office.

They're also used in stamp rallies, where people go from place to place collecting imprints of various local stamps. You'll find a small stamping table at most good-sized train stations and temples/shrines in Japan, for example. So this cosplay event fits right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I have been told that Arino uses a fair amount of Kansai slang but I don't know enough to really comment on that.
He uses tons of the dialect. Tons and tons. Everywhere he can, essentially. The SA translation team handles it very well, usually by having him drop his final G's. Kansai is my people, and hearing the dialect has only made Arino that much more adorable in my eyes (ears?). Just listening to a GCCX video running in the background will put a big goofy smile on my face.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wow, seriously speedy torrent with some 70+ seeds. Now to power through today's work and get down to watching this. Thanks a lot!

eta: Vodafone is a mobile provider in Japan, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

univbee posted:

:eng101: In case, anyone's wondering with the symbol on the "wizard's" forehead, the swastika with the opposite directionality of the Nazi symbol is prevalent in Asian countries including Japan to represent eternity and buddhism; you often see it on maps to show where a buddhist temple is, like how we'd use a cross. Of course, that doesn't make the sequence of errors leading to a white-hooded villain having it on his cap any less hilarious.
Yes, yes, Buddhist temples and all, but they don't tattoo it/wear it on their foreheads, especially not when wearing a goddamn white hood and cape getup. There's no way this swastika means eternity and Buddhism. It's likely an ignorant error; they creators may not have known how offensive it really is.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dominic White posted:

I find it kinda funny/cute that they classify KKK wizards among the ranks of demons, golems, alien invaders and evil gods. They're just so cartoonishly evil that they become cartoons outright.
Maybe they have keener insight into the KKK than we thought!

I can't wait 'til I have the time to stream this bad boy onto my TV. My son still asks about the time "Arino kept bumping into everything" (Quest of Ki).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Vlaphor posted:

Kacho No Bonus will always be my favorite (and I'm trying to add the .gif, but it's too big). It's on the Bonk's Adventure episode. Start at around 13:20 to get the full effect.
Not the one here?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

That has to be a promotion for that "Otaku Kingdom" cell phone game that came up in the last thread.
I registered for that gaming site and everything, but never found the drat game! Now that I know what it's called, though, I should have better luck. (I was mostly searching for variations on "Arino" and "Yoiko".)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is brutal. Watching the live stream makes me appreciate the snappily edited regular episodes even more than I already did.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Saffycat posted:

Flight instructors and sky divers are important military targets to capture
It does say something about a drug syndicate growing stronger in the area, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Here's what I'm most excited about : they're going to try to get the original show transcripts for me. Hooray for greater accuracy and no more having to listen to a line over and over to hear it right!
Not that it's affected the final product any--and this is speaking as a professional translator (of mostly video games). I can't imagine what a pain in the rear end it must be to do that kind of interpreting-translating, writing down in one language what you hear in another. Not to mention the usual timing pitfalls of subtitles. Kudos, and may this initial translation job be only the first of many!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Is there a good program to convert .mkv files into .avi files such that they retain their subtitles? I'd love my family to see the first Lemmings challenge; we stream videos from my laptop to the PS3, and the converter I usually use choked several times on that file.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

PS3 Media Server worked wonderfully. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

All of the SAGCCX translations have been of consistently high quality, and here you are saying they're the more half-rear end of the two? Good on you! :haw:

I downloaded a bunch of TV Nihon episodes last week and have been making my way through them. The overall translation quality is the pits--not even including their tendency to leave in Japanese words that have perfectly good English equivalents--and the number of outright, often simple errors is shocking to a translator like myself. Just makes me that much more excited for the next SAGCCX and official translations to hit the 'Net/market.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hokuto posted:

I watched the first minute of that Quest of Ki sub and found several glaring errors even in the opening narration, with entire sentences just made up out of nowhere with nothing to do with what's being said on screen.
Are we sure TV Nihon isn't behind this?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I took my SNES out of storage today so my 5-year-old (and fellow Arino fan) could get a taste of the retro life. After I explained to him what a cartridge was (God, I'm old), he was pretty excited to see the whole setup and went on at some length about wanting to slide the power switch with a proper "Kacho ON!" I ejected the cart that was in the console and handed it to him; he immediately blew into it.

Later when he was tearing his hair out over SMB, he commented, "I wish we had some cooling sheets."

So keep up the good work, SAGCCX team! You'll help me make a proper geek out of my boy yet. :3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GidgetNomates posted:

If anyone is interested, I made some GCCX gifs the last few days.
These are great; thanks! It reminds me that Arino's comment about the number of women he's "hugged" was actually translated on the tame side. The verb "daku" can mean "hug" or "embrace", it's true, but here it definitely means what you think it means. Apparently the number of people Arino has slept with is legendary (if Arino is to be believed, of course).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

I hope they just buy some sort of fake wrinkles
Or even better, just take a makeup pencil to his face, drawing wrinkles on his forehead and on either side of his mouth. Slap on one of the horribly low-quality old-guy wigs from a Japanese party supply store and you're all set.

I can't wait.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Sean posted:

I can't get any multiupload links to work. Does anybody else have this problem? I was hoping to check out Kid Icarus.
I didn't know there were still any Multiupload links out there. With the closing down of a ton of filesharing sites, Multiupload and its ilk are no longer reliable, if they're still around at all. Use the torrent file linked in the OP and you should be good. I just (re)downloaded season 4 (including Kid Icarus) a few days ago.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Vlaphor posted:

His old makeup is just drawings and a bad wig/bald cap. He almost looks cel shaded.

Called it! :D

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

zari-gani posted:

This blog post goes into more depth about the technique being used on trains. It's an occupational safety thing.
I use it with my alarm clock when I nap so I don't wake up every twenty minutes thinking I've overslept. I set it, point to it, and say "Set". It's goofy, but it works. Kind of like Arino. (See how I did that?)

I'm taking a (mostly business) trip to Japan in June and will have a few days in Tokyo. I've already set my sights on the Fuji TV building, in part because they have a market featuring famous regional foods from all around Japan, but mostly because it's the home of GCCX and I'm looking to score some swag. :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I especially like the more bizarre contractions TV-Nihon uses, ridiculously direct translations (if you can call them that) that have perfectly good equivalents in English. "Sufami" (SFC, or hell, SNES if you don't need to be regionally specific), "Sumari" (SMB), and my personal favorite "St" (Street Fighter; SF probably would have worked in context) come to mind--accompanied, of course, with a giant translator's note.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

xamphear posted:

My wife and I went to SF over the weekend for a friend's wedding. Needless to say this is the first place we went after getting off the plane:

Yes! A very cool place. I dragged my family there on our trip to SF a few years aback and spent several hours (!) enjoying the machines. The perfect spot for amateur retro game masters.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ledneh posted:

I always enjoyed the Actraiser episode because it felt like I finally found a kindred spirit in someone who really likes the creation mode as much as I do.
Same here. I was really bummed when Actraiser 2 came out. Twice the action, none of the sim! :sigh:

quote:

Also, "Fightin's gone." :unsmigghh:
I think Actraiser was my first episode, and this part had me laughing until I cried. He was so blase about it! I put that little snippet of video on my phone for a quick pick-me-up on the go. And then when he receives the gift of music in a later town and we see the light go on...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I never got around to seeing the SOS episode. Now I'm really regretting it. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the SOS tips. After watching that episode and Clock Tower, I think I enjoy (among other aspects of GCCX) watching Arino boss around/plead with characters he may not directly control. This includes Pac Man 2 and even Lemmings, another two episodes I quite liked. I really can't wait for the DVD.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I wasn't surprised that Arino was so good at shiritori in Wagyan Land. His Japanese Wikipedia page states that he's a 8th-dan shiritori master in the Toranomon Shiritori Ryuo (Dragon King) competition among entertainers. Kan does call Arino "Shiritori Ryuo Arino" a couple of times, and rather than "It's robot dragon versus Asian dragon", Kan was saying "It's dragon versus Ryuo (Arino)".

The Shiritori Ryuo competition is pretty advanced, with competitors making up entire sentences on given themes that still adhere to the basics of shiritori. I'd love to see a round or two (with Arino, of course). The examples on the Wikipedia page are impressive, but are mostly taken out of context so you can't see how well they chain on either end.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Did I hear Arino mention Cat's Eye when talking about the OL trio, by the way?
Yes, he said they were wearing Cat's Eye outfits, or catsuits (judging from the shapely silhouettes, I presume).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Box of Bunnies posted:

Arino inserts the game cartridge into the system and dramatically slides the power button. "Allez gaming!"
"Allez quiz game!"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

makere posted:

Google translate says something about Nina giving the GCCX illustrations to him, I guess HQ digital copy of the USA pic and then some other (un)seen drawings?
Nina's picture will be included with the DVD, along with a lot of other never-before-seen footage from the USA trip. They'll give more details in upcoming episodes.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Downtown's show (Downtown no Gottsu Ee Kanji) was one of the things my Japanese sister felt significant (representative?) enough to record off TV and send over way back when I first started going to Japan nearly twenty years ago. I'm really going to enjoy seeing some old favorites interact hilariously with some new favorites--on a whole new medium, no less. Thank you very much!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

zrrgin posted:

So what is Spidey's japanese name? I heard 'super' somewhere.
Supaida-man. Starts with supa, but for "super", that'd be a long A.

Thanks for all the releases. I just finished Street Fighter 2010 and Pilotwings when the Rainbow Islands torrent hit. It's like Christmas in July June!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

drat! That'll teach me to reply before actually watching the episode. Sorry about that. Context is indeed king.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

geri_khan posted:

Great episode, thanks for translating! Arino's fish bait was a highlight. :)
I liked Abe's sotto voce "Don't listen to him." Abe's delivery is delicious, ever so slightly singsongy; it reminded me a lot of his narrating his cooking lessons.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

I hear that's real, though. Aren't sunglasses not a common thing in Japan?
No, they're not--although they're juuust starting to be now that people are more concerned about sun damage. People still prefer to squint, although they do use parasols and ridiculously wide-brimmed hats that help a little. Sunglasses are still chiefly a fashion accessory worn only by some small subsets of the population, not a practical addition to your sunny-day outfit. I feel silly wearing mine over there, but I have blue eyes and macular degeneration in the family, and I'm not taking any chances. (Also I already look funny just by virtue of being a furriner.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

joek0 posted:

I posted it earlier but no one responded. Can someone translate the hint for the next episode(#142).
"Don't miss Morioka's fierce battle!"

According to the official site, #142 will feature Captain Tsubasa.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey. Something I've been wondering about the translations.
Why is Arino's text always contracting _ing words into _in'?
Is there something comparable in his accent it's trying to get through or is it put on to quirk up and distinguish his character text-wise?
That's a way of portraying his pronounced (no pun intended) Kansai (western Japan) accent/dialect.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tyma posted:

In Japan, it seems to make good business sense to let the machines pay out, so that players win, or see other people win, and are re-assured that all is fair.
Hell, in Japan it's not unknown for staff to occasionally rearrange prizes to give you a leg up.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hokuto posted:

In response to Pablo Gigante, my impression from those I've met in Tokyo is that such politenesses are absolutely observed regularly among younger and older adults alike. The culture in places like Tokyo really promotes widespread self-awareness in living among other people in a way that just doesn't exist in America, and it promotes it at all levels of age and society. People go out of their way to be considerate of others, and that absolutely includes manners.
Funny thing, people in Tokyo are absolute assholes compared to people elsewhere in Japan. They're so cold. (Not everyone, of course--I mean in general, the people in the streets with whom one interacts on a daily basis.) Part of it comes from the self-preservation that kicks in within a human's mind when faced with the seething masses and complete overload of a megalopolis like Tokyo. Which can also mean that the ritualized manners are a way of maintaining one's humanity when one's brain wants to shut out everything just to stay sane.

I met with some clients in Tokyo last month. As warm and friendly as we all were with one another (and I had not met any of them in person before), we did keep up the usual prescribed niceties--although one big (video game) client seemed honestly surprised and tickled that I had brought a gift, and laughed when I said the standard phrase about it not being much of anything at all. He seemed to honestly think I didn't have to have done or said those ritual things. (Although that might have been because they don't expect foreigners to follow the rules...which means you might have a shot of getting that tour after all! heh)

But yeah, it's probably not worth getting into the offices even if you could. That big video-game company I mentioned is pretty boring apart from its lobby. Try the Fuji TV building: it's on the Odaiba island, a lovely train ride from the mainland, with a lot of other stuff to do in the area; there's a market selling regional delicacies from around Japan, and at least one shop selling Fuji TV swag!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

joek0 posted:

Here is the hint for episode #146. Please translate!
"Next up is 'Ka???'...", where each ? stands for one Japanese character/syllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That's adorable. I knew she was a big gamer and that's part of why they started dating. Didn't she also (in a note he read on-air) remind him to give back one of her games that he'd borrowed and "forgotten" to give back?