Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Chiming in to agree with the rest that it's a great OP. Only thing I'd add would be some of the weird complaints from the last thread, or that terrible quote from Kotak's introduction post about GameCenter being what Japan should be (I don't remember it off hand).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I'd say the episode I'm really interested in most right now is the multiple part Super Metroid Wii Channel one. Are there good versions of it available online?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Don't forget that Top Gear has an insane budget too. If I had to guess the USA episode has been GCCX's most expensive to date and it pales in comparison to many of the things TG has done.

Also, whenever AD Nakayama appears, chug your drink for the duration of the bowing, including pausing on half-bows.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

abraxas posted:

I'm just gonna leave this here :smug:

Did you order from Dino Direct? I ordered 2 like a month ago now and the things still haven't shipped. Also did you have to re-wire yours for US voltage and how hard was it to do?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Thanks abraxas. Was getting worried I got scammed but it's nice knowing someone else got the same lack of communication from them. Was gonna be a christmas present for my friend that I got into GCCX but I guess it'll have to wait until January now.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Talking about speedruns: Siglemic's 120 stars in Mario 64 in 1:47:10 is pretty crazy too. He accomplished this on livestream a couple days ago.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Oh I can only dream how good a SA version of the Ninja Gaiden episode would be. Also it kind of amazes me how many people know of RGM but not the amazing work done here. Anytime I see it on twitter I make sure to send a reply with the thread URL.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Mister Chief posted:

The people commenting on that news story are so loving deluded. Someone should really post there and tell them what's up but I suppose if they are reading KOTAK they are beyond help already.

http://kotaku.com/people/OtakuMan24/

:wtc:

Look, there's supporting a show, and then there's sounding like a complete lunatic.

Also, even if you spread the truth on KOTAK the hive-mind there would turn on you. Like so:
http://kotaku.com/5873102/32+year+old-homeless-man-found-dead-outside-japanese-arcade

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 14, 2012

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
After watching the Kato and Ken episode (dear god those faces) I'm way more appreciative of the ways you guys handle the subbing. At times the episode became a mess to read because Nihon didn't do things like blackout the japanese text or selectively decide what to translate on screen. Using a white on black font didn't help seperating the subs either.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Yes. I can finally watch a new episode in true Arino style:

Only took 2 months after ordering to arrive, but it was worth it!

On the whole voltage concerns, it looks like the only thing that's 220V about it was the lightbulb itself. After switching it out for an American 110V one and re-doing the plug (the prongs on the one it comes with are too short) it seems to be working fine.

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 19, 2012

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Krinkle posted:

where did you order it from and how much have you spent on this?

http://www.dinodirect.com/table-lamp-nude-mr-p.html

It was cheaper when I ordered it (it was $12 each I believe).

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
They're dropping like flies now. Filesonic is now a personal use only site, meaning you can only download files that you have uploaded. Megaupload getting taken down seems to have started a wave here.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Some more file hosting sites switched to the personal use only mode that Filesonic did yesterday:

Fileserve
FileJungle
UploadStation
4shared
x7.to
UploadBox
FilePost
VideoBB
VideoZer

If it ever came down to it would you guys accept donations for a hosting server?

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 23, 2012

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Don't forget that you can selectively choose which parts of torrent files you do download. So if you put a list of each seasons episodes on the torrent info there's always that option for people looking for specific episodes while keeping it to a seasonal format.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Inoko MAX's first appearance on the show and he dies immediately. If anyone can gif this it would be appreciated.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
All 3 would be awesome but man is that Densha De Go! screenshot begging for votes. Densha De Go! for me.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Could I get the GCCX stationary? I put my 3DS Friend Code in the Steam Community group thread but never got a friend request or note sent.

2363-5651-0233. Thanks!

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Let me echo the comments on how great the poster is Zari. It's crazy to think how small the GCCX subbing community was just a year ago and how much its become integrated with the show itself, so huge thanks to everyone else involved for rocketing the show on this crazy run. For me that includes Ray for getting that 1UP Show segment because I had never heard of it before then.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Makes a great Vita lock screen as well. Good words of advice before you get back into your game:

Downloadable version here.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Random Stranger posted:

This is not a common thing. I've picked up a copy of pretty much every game that might have a famicom adapter in it that I could find for $2 or less and had no luck at all finding one. If you're in a store you can feel the weight difference supposedly but I'm apparently not that good at it.

If the video I saw about this was right it was that the only versions with the Famicom adapters in them were the original black box NES games that were sold in the NYC test launch of the system.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
PAX East 2010 had a 5v5 Steel Battalion tournament set-up and I never got around to seeing it. So many regrets about that game since I also saw it brand new at a Gamestop around 6 years ago but didn't buy it because I didn't own an Xbox.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

zari-gani posted:

Guess who Discotek Media is hiring to re-translate all the episodes.

:j:

Whaaaaat. I was actually sad that we were probably gonna never see a properly translated version of Ninja Gaiden 1. This is so bought.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Any chance they'll let you do art for a reversible cover for the set Zari?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

FreezingInferno posted:

The closest thing to this I've ever participated in was the old Retro Game Masters thread. A bunch of people trying to beat old hard video games without resorting to walkthroughs, asking the thread for hints if they absolutely need it.

A shame that it petered out, it was a really fun thing.

Picking Bart vs the Space Mutants as a challenge absolutely killed that thread. One of these days I want to relaunch it with better organization and scoreboards and such. It's still a great idea.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Ray, you should use the new extra time to turn Alex Fraioli into the internet celebrity he deserves to be. That part where he was just DJ'ing sound drops this week on the podcast was killing me at work trying to hold back the laughter.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I thought it was a stand at first too but no, those are the crazily thick wires the Nintendo 3DS capture unit uses, and they're being run through a hole in the table. If you google it you can find pics of the capture unit and the big box all the wires feed to.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I love that they went through the trouble of putting realistic modem lights on that Famicom cart. Google's April Fools ideas have gotten really good in recent years.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
It is April 1st in Japan don't forget. I'm on the SAGCCX did it conspiracy bandwagon.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Were either of you Robert B from Colorado? It's the only GCCX related tag I think I got because their last played game was Retro Game Challenge. Also just when I thought I was done Nintendo releases a new puzzle today.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
It's still amazes me that no one ever ripped off Actraiser 1's sim/action combo. There's not even a faux-retro indie game that does it from what I've seen.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Erebus posted:

The closest you'll get is Dark Cloud 1 and 2, which had dungeon crawling action sections where you'd find pieces of a town that you could then take out of the dungeon to rebuild the town in the sim section. They're both good games, but 2 in particular was excellent as it fixed the problems of the first while adding a billion more things to do.

I loved Dark Cloud 2 and enjoyed 1. I'd say they feel more like Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia though but with the added puzzle element of figuring out where the parts in the town actually fit. With how good Cel Shading looks now (see Borderlands and The Walking Dead) I'd love to see Level-5 some day come back to that series.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Bo Steed posted:

Not sure where you get a connection to Illusion of Gaia or Soul Blazer....

You're fighting through dungeons to unlock parts to a town that you must restore? I didn't think there was that much of a stretch unless you meant if there was developers who worked on all of the games.

Talking about the games now makes me wish Arino would play Soul Blader (Blazer), Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 4, 2012

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Bo Steed posted:

I don't remember much town restoration in Illusion of Gaia.... I remember a very linear, story oriented dungeonfest. Most of the time once you left a city you'd never see it again.

I'll admit less experience of Soul Blazer, however.

Yeah the concept goes away in Illusion of Gaia, I guess I'm just mixing the two together since they're both by Quintet. Soul Blazer's towns all start as completely blank fields that you slowly fill up with buildings, people, animals, etc from battling through the dungeons.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
They're not really the same series (the only crossover is the first boss of Blazer shows up in Gaia), just all made by the same developer, Quintet. As Crotch Bat said, their most known games are in order: Actraiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma (never released in US).

Also according to their Wikipedia they made Legacy of the Wizard?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Hopefully I'll be able to tear myself away from Borderlands 2 that day to check out the superior translations. Can't wait.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Mister Chief posted:

Have KOTAK even run a story about the DVD yet?
Nah, they're too busy writing reviews of Celery with Peanut Butter on top. You know, gaming news.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I tried making a good write up about it but kept making it sound hokey so here's my simple recommendation:

Densha de Go!

I cannot properly describe why this episode is so entertaining, so this picture will have to do it for me.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

I've never watched the episode because of KOTAK and all I know of it is this gif. I'm very excited for the DVD even though it's been called a bad episode.

As to the sunglasses discussion: did transition lenses make it over to Japan? I wear a pair that have the feature so I never have to switch to sunglasses.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I rarely see the Barber Shop cutter games around here (Southern Connecticut), it's usually a Stacker machine or the Winners' Cube ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Paging Frank Cifaldi...

Arino's complete enthusiasm during Battletoads actually made me want to try out the US version myself so I'll definitely try this as well. Cool find!

-SUGOI SQUAD! :argh:

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 28, 2012