Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Has anyone heard what the Christmas/New Year's special is going to be this year? Will it be another superlong live challenge or are they scaling things back?

The month is young yet, but it doesn't look like they're doing anything. There's a DVD launch event/signing on 12/24 though.

I'd also like to repost the news of the fifth GCCX book that's coming out 12/15 and will have another blowout of the USA trip.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Ikki Online on PSN is pretty well done, compariatively. It has like, real stages and stuff!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

vkeios posted:

edit: pretty sure its Owarai Yoiko No Gaemu Dou for the GBC by Konami. Amazon.jp has it for the low price of 1 yen! plus 340 yen shipping

And more recently...

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

After this and the USA trip, the show may not be able to get any better for the forseeable future. This... is our year.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Where are you getting that from, out of curiosity? They used to, yeah, but I'm fffairly sure it's been in-house for several seasons.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

They definitely always go there for the live shows.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Bovineicide posted:

Uh... isn't the Japanese version supposed to be pretty easy compared to the one the rest of the world got?

At this point I should say that this is a two-parter.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

jyrque posted:

Please tell me there's co-op segment in the Battletoads episode. I love Arino and some poor assistant trying their hardest to work together in GCCX only ultimately to fail due to Arino's antics. Reminds me of scrolling beat'em'ups and other games where powerups are limited and that rear end in a top hat you're playing with keeps hogging all the turkeys and pizzas when you're the one actually in need. Battletoads is just perfect for co-op failure.

No AD appearance at all in this first part.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

To be honest I'm not entirely certain what this is. It is a Japanese video featuring an interview with Arino conducted in English using AD Nakayama as the translator. I think it was being used to try to sell Game Center CX to overseas markets (kind of a "See how big we are? We're getting interviewed by this person in English!"). Anyway it's an interesting Game Center CX artifact that I thought you guys might be interested in:

This was shown at like 2AM on terrestrial Fuji as one of the occasional GCCX specials they have there to push the show (like 'Bonus Stage'). Maybe it was originally supposed to be a promotional thing for RGM, but I don't know. In any case, it's obviously not too serious.

I did get ahold of the 'host' Cédric on Facebook shortly after it aired. He started the original GCCX group on there too. I asked how in the heck he got roped into that show, and basically, he worked near Gascoin's old office, spotted Tojima one day knowing who he was, then struck up a friendship, yada yada yada, he was the host in the silly special (the ultimate goon stalker fantasy, I'm sure).

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

That's great! I just got my copy today too (I bought it, though it's not like I wouldn't anyway)! Now if only I could read all of it. Then again I can read the crazier parts of Abe's manga just fine so it's not that big a deal.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

If you were around the old thread when I shared a preview from a Sunsoft cover album that was coming out, well, it came out, and I got it, and the Tokaido song that was the highlight.

I'm gonna err on the side of :filez: for the track right now, buuut I'll share the lyrics sheet:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

We now have the real reason this game was never released in the US.

They added a bit for the arrangement of course. :) It's also supposed to be for both Tokaido and Ikki, but yeah.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

It's not a magazine per se, it's just a fan book published once in a while (we're talking years). What they've mostly had is a lot of staff interviews and tiny episode guides.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

New live special coming up! February 24: Arino's "Last Challenge of the 30s" (he turns 40 the next day).

I've been lucky the last couple of shows when I found a livestream, so start getting your hopes up nnnnow, especially because it starts at 6 pm there and goes to 2 AM if I'm reading that right, which is... not convenient for my fellow North Americans (1 AM PT the same day).

That's it for now. Dunno what the game(s) will be. (I wouldn't expect Battletoads because Part 2 of that will have aired already)

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I haven't seen it yet but I doubt there was anything substantial.

edit: OK, saw it, and yeah, basically they just announced the live show.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 1, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

It's on a cable/sat channel, sorry.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Was looking through the Game Center CX V book again. Anyone recognize this spot?

Probably obvious by now, but this is right next door to South Town Arcade. You can see it on the Google link from before it got rid of the Hair Studio sign. They shot one of the segment bumpers in the show in the same spot.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

The other thing is that Nihon is obsessive about using the Japanese titles for games.

ZEBIUS ZEBIUS ZEBIUS

DiscoJ posted:

Yeah, those are surprisingly fun to watch and Angelique Trois gave us one of the series' most memorable lines (to me at least).

Unfortunately there are no dating sims after those two.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Vlaphor posted:

This brings up an interesting question. When a game is available on multiple platforms, what dictates which platform they use? Metal Gear on the MSX is a different game than the one on the Famicom, and the Famicom one isn't the fondly remembered one (at least not in Japan). If they ever played Prince of Persia 2, would they use the PC version (or maybe the Japan released PC 98 version), or would they use the inferior SNES version (I don't even know if the game got a SuFami release)?

It's safe to say they stick with the consoles because more people are familiar with them and they're easier to set up (or replace if they break). And with a true multiplatform release, it seems clear that they, again, go with the likely more familiar version. Yes, I'm sure they could have hooked up a SuperGrafx to play a better version of Ghouls 'N' Ghosts, but they went with the original MD version because it was made into a big deal at the time and you don't need to find hard sales numbers to figure out that more people played it on Mega Drive.

Davzz posted:

Is there really any more Dating Sims that Arino can do? They seem really hard to fit in the format the show is using, along with RPGs. I'm honestly surprised they haven't done Dragon Quest 1, considering the visual themes the intermissions use.

Well, you implied as much already: Full-on RPGs will likely never happen, even if it's Dragon Quest. Imagine how uneventful that ep would really be. Be happy we got Zelda games at least (or not, considering what people think of the OOT episode).

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 16, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

GidgetNomates posted:

I'd go with Abe, since hides behind a maskcamera most of the time.

But is Stig a triple threat (cameraman/cook/mangaka)?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kerfuffle posted:

I love when they draw detailed charts on the whiteboard, especially the one on the Solomon's Key episode.

This is what I miss the most. Takahashi, bless his heart, has barely picked up a marker.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Nickoten posted:

I just hope they respect the work other people have done and skip over episodes that have already been subbed. It'd be really stupid if they didn't, but I keep feeling like that's what they're going to do.

Huh? Multiple groups fansub the same anime and dramas all the time.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

joek0 posted:

Next Episode
Detective Jinguji Saburo Shinjuku Chuo Park murder
1/26/12

FYI, you can find this in the Jake Hunter game(s) for DS.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

redmercer posted:

Care to clarify a little? I'm not sure exactly what you're saying we can find and where.

The DS game is a few remakes of the earlier Saburo Jinguji games, and that's what they localized as Jake Hunter in America.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Until they're inevitably replaced by several more.

And maybe won't flaunt their poo poo as wildly as MU.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

redmercer posted:

I guess now we know where the designers of the Game Center CX DS game got the idea for a ninja who'd die if his ankles got wet.

No doubt. I really gotta make a library of all known/supposed references in those games. Maybe as one of them newfangled iPad textbooks! Yeah!!!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

jyrque posted:

A general question: where would one procure Arino's trademark worker's suits? I remember successfully Googling one or two sites that sell them but it remained unclear whether or not they ship overseas. I think rdbbb has some experience of buying the suits, right?

Posted in the old thread.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

It's probably just a matter of time, at least in the case of YouTube. Even way, way back when GCCX stuff was first on there, it was a little while before Fuji took a machete to all of it.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

That's assuming Kotaku cares about something that isn't an underaged anime girl.

Seriously.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget that there's a whole second game out there when you finish that one. You'll need to import it but it's got more Arino for you.

I totally agree, but it's like trying to get everyone in this thread to watch an episode without subtitles at this point. I've tried different ways to get people to play 2, but it didn't always happen. (This is my indirect way of saying hurry up and buy it even if the fan translation never appears.)

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I'm all for supporting the DS games, but, like, a lot of fans don't know poo poo about the Japanese language. Like me. I wouldn't be able to read word one.

Hence GameFAQs. Hence not every game being a visual novel.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Joshuadel posted:

Anyone know if I'll have any luck playing this on my R1 3DS? I finally caved and ordered myself a copy, but I'm worried I may have been a bit premature in doing so. I can't seem to find any definitive information about region compatibility in regards to non-3DS or DSi titles on the system. I'm assuming that, because regular DS games weren't region-locked, my 3DS should still be able to run it, but that may be wishful thinking.

Your assumption is right; you'll be fine.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Ledneh posted:

Now I'm intensely sad that I will never hear Arino converse with the ADs in mudokon fashion.

who says you won't?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Jimmy Colorado posted:

In one of the most recently broadcasted episodes (the Detective Jinguji murder mystery one I think from last week or the week prior to that), they had that "Project CX" vignette where they feature old console peripherals. In this one, Kibe produced this thing that was basically an external flash cart or something that plugged into the Famicom and could record your sessions. You could then replay it back and watch how you did. But the neat thing was that if you were in replay mode, and then switched it over to record mode on the fly, you could commandeer your character again and play right from that point in the recording!

The segment was in Japanese, so the only thing I could catch was that it retailed for about 70 bucks when it came out, and Kibe acquired it for a dollar. But the technology stunned me, I never knew something like that existed. It's sort of a precursor to the kind of emulator/save state stuff we're used to now.

Yeah, it was weird, but to be clear, like the emulator stuff, it records inputs, not footage. You might remember programmable controllers from those days that advertised the same thing (so you could store move commands for Street Fighter or whatever)

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Makin' a great name for yourself around here, joek.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 9, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

StoryTime posted:

I do think they pushed the whole thing a bit too much at the end. It would have worked fine without spelling it out.

Japanese comedy.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

softcorps posted:

All I'll say is that translation is one of those things that people who haven't done it (well) won't quite fully understand, and those that have done it will froth at the mouth about mostly-insignificant details with each other, having completely lost perspective.

Hell, those that don't do it will froth at the mouth...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Here's a reaction image for no real reason: