Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
My sincere congrats to zari-gani (I'm never sure if I'm typing that correctly) and the rest of the awesome SAGCCX team. I love learning about gaming history, especially about games that we never saw here in the states. (Umihara Kawase blew my mind. Wish I could put my hands on a copy for less than $90, though...)

Also, just to contribute something to the OP, the second piano piece used in the Retro Read-Along segment (at least, in the Pac-Man 2 episode) is Chopin's "Fantasie-Impromtpu" (Op. 66) Possibly my favorite piano arrangement of all time, and well-known to players of Eternal Sonata. I've heard some strange things pop up over the course of the series, but that was unexpected and really made my day. Still having trouble placing the first piece, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

Heh. I can see an AD gauntlet, where prospective ADs have to compete in events like:

Singing an octave too high
Drawing men's nipples
Cardigan fashion
Batting cages
Beat Takeshi impersonation
Getting groped by Tanii,,, any others?

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

joek0 posted:

Can someone clarify this. Zonie Nation is the only shooter that Arino has cleared.
There have been other games with shooter segments that he's cleared (Wai Wai World, Doraemon), but I believe that's the only pure shooter he's finished.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Castlequest. Seems like exactly the kind of game that would make Arino's head explode. I picked up a copy recently, and wish I had the time to binge on it properly.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Well, if we're headed in this direction, allow me to be the one to breach the Hyadain-field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g29FkNIGqcc&feature=related

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Funny, after posting Hyadain I got a little nostalgic, and just (less than a minute ago) finished playing through Mega Man 3 in an attempt to take the edge off.

And then this happened.

... y'inz'all are awesome.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

I get the feeling that if Arino were to revenge-challenge Rockman 2, he'd have little to no difficulty today. Struggle as he might against Pilotwings and the like, his performance in the other Rockman challenges seem evidence that he's significantly more capable.

As for the difficulty curve, 1 is significantly more difficult than 2 or 3. That 4-tiered boss rush in the last Wily stage - with no E-cans or healing items at all - is the definition of brutal. I can beat 2 without dying, and 3 without continuing... but 1 is some kind of kryptonite.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Wendell posted:

What odd design choices? What bugs? I asked because I want to know.

Some of the weakness-loops don't make much sense. Snake Man takes 4x damage (1/7th total HP) from... His own weapon, and the Needle Cannon. But Needle Cannon implies having beaten Gemini Man, which implies having beaten... Snake Man.

Admittedly, 2 wasn't much better (Metal Blade is, was, and always will be the most obscenely broken Mega Man weapon), but the loops weren't nearly as tangled. There's some oddness around Crash-Flash-Quick Men, but that was likely to give ol' Speedy there extra weakness since Flash Stopper can't actually kill him outright.

Long story short, 3 breaks down into two distinct loops: Top-Shadow-Spark-Magnet-Hard loop and Snake-Gemini-Needle loop. And Snake Man continues to be an outright bastard.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

quakster posted:

MM3 definitely has a full circle. Top > Shadow > Snake > Gemini > Needle > Spark > Magnet > Hard

Some weapons are kinda Metal Blade-y in that they work on multiple bosses.

The lovely Wily levels were due to the game getting rushed.

Snake man only takes 2 damage (1/14th total HP) from Shadow Blades. They're a bit easier to land on him due to aiming, but Snakes and Needles are both twice as effective. Same with Spark Man; Needles only do 2 damage while Spark and Shadow each do 4. The loops as I posed them had each weapon in the cycle doing 4-7 damage.

Also, Magnet Man and Top Man are the only robot masters to take 2 damage from Mega Buster shots, making them the logical in-points. But they're on the same loop. The fact that Arino survived 28 hits on Snake Man is kinda impressive.

Data can be found here: http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/MM3-Data.html

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

I realize it'd probably be licensing hell, but I've always wanted to see Arino take on some of those awesome Disney/Capcom games. Especially if it's some kind of "USA Exclusive" challenge.

Hell, go into full torture mode and make him play TaleSpin.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I still want to see him play Ecco the Dolphin. Can't Kibe force the challenge on him? Imagine the photoshopped Arino-head bumper image for that.

I realize it'd be terribly boring as a challenge, but now I kinda want to see Arino-head Q-Bert.

*#@$!, indeed.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

When Arino was shilling the GCCX merch, and dropped the "DAIJOUBU DA..."

I had a KatoKen flashback moment, and my poo poo was officially lost. Now I see why you wanted to translate this episode so badly. Really, really awesome stuff.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

With each passing challenge, I gain more and more respect for Emoyan.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Hey, here is a thought.

During the Making of Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge, I got a hankering to play it again. Since my copy of the english version, Retro Game Challenge, was stolen along with my first 3DS last year ( :negative: ), I was just about to go on amazon and get a copy. I got to thinking though: What if around the time the dvd comes out, we all bought a copy of RGC? Do you think that would be a good way to try to say "Hey, this poo poo can sell here"? I might be thinking extra optimistically, but what if after the DVD came out, all the rest of the new copies of RGC sold? They might not only bring more GCCX over to the west, but maybe GCCX:AC2 will come over as Retro Game Challenge: Retro Game Master's Challenge.

Well, that's troublesome, as I just received my copy of RGC this very afternoon! I was on Amazon buying vacuum bags (apparently Oreck XL bags are a pain to find in brick-and-mortar stores) and wondered if picking up a copy would bring my total to free-shipping levels. (It didn't, so I grabbed Pangya as well.)

Had I read this before I placed the order (last week), I'd totally be on board. Show some love for Haggleman.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AHVSamD5WQ

TASers are nuts. This video shows one series of inputs that beats both Mega Man X AND Mega Man X2. And this is on the fairly tame end of the spectrum.

I once saw a TAS of Shining Force (the Genesis tactical-RPG classic) in about two and a half hours, by fiddling with the RNG enough to make every hit a double-critical. Crazycakes. Absolutely crazycakes.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

SirLarr posted:

Next Tuesday (May 29), I got a 2-hour time slot on our Machinima livestream to do a RETRO GAME CHALLENGE (da daaa~).

I shamelessly stole the format from Game Center CX. The idea is that we have two hours to beat an NES game, otherwise we're going to have our lips waxed by a very vindictive female host.

I'll be sure to watch. Right now I'm in negotiations to run a similar event live at a retro anime/gaming convention, under similar time constraints. (Audience participation will be likely, though I'll try to root out any dangerous kids.) The game is secret at the moment, but should be fairly feasible for a two-hour slot. Also, no waxings, as the dude I'm going to shanghai would probably like it too much.

I also recently reviewed Retro Game Challenge on my Youtube channel, trying to do it justice by including an Arino-style introduction, slow-zoom-in insert shot, whiteboard full of bad drawings, cooling pad with stuff written on it, the whole spiel. Kinda felt dirty biting the whole schtick, I'm not gonna lie. Fun, but dirty.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Snot Man posted:

I think the Waste of Color segment's premise is just an excuse to have Arino play some Game Boy games, like with the Game and Watch segment and its sale gimmick. But has Arino ever tackled a portable game in an actual challenge?

It would be cool seeing him play something like Metal Gear: Ghost Babel or the Wario Land series. Or maybe they draw the line at making an entire episode out of sub-NES black-and-white graphics with a "SUPER GAME BOY" frame.

He warmed up with the Game Boy version of Adventure Quiz Hatena's Quest before taking on the PC-Engine main version, in #43. That wasn't part of the main challenge, though.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

I watched the raw of Dig Dug II last night; that seems like a kind of "easygoing" episode if folks are burnt out from quizzes. Part action, part puzzle, all pain-in-the-rear end Famicom-era Namco, so it's right in Arino's wheelhouse.

(That, and it's hilarious watching him eat humble pie after trying to win with STYLE.)

Also, one of the cooler Tamage segments, complete with Arino + Emoto tag-teaming The Simpsons!

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Going to watch later just for this part. Loved that game growing up.

I was also interested to see the Mini-4WD racing in live-action. I have a copy of Shining Scorpion, a Super Famicom Mini-4WD RPG (wrap your head around that), but totally didn't know this was a thing until I played it.

(The game's not really that impressive, truth be told. Arino's far more interesting. If you don't believe me, I've got footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwy1BVc9ixU)

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

My personal favorites:

Legend of the Mystical Ninja:
Maybe it's because I played the paint off this game growing up, but it's got a lot going for it. A fairly well-known title in the west, Lecher-Arino (during the striptease scene), psycho Gambler-Arino (DAI DAI DAI DAI DAI), great interaction with Inoko MAX, puzzlement as he figures out what he's supposed to do with the plates... great episode overall.

Tokimeki Memorial:
One of the great "The Staff Screws With Arino" episodes. His comedic background comes out in full force. Another game which most folks have heard of, but few have probably taken the time to play, thus letting curiosity fuel the enjoyment. "I'd have to say... MY WIFE!"

Densha de Go!:
It's not just a man, at a desk, playing a video game. Sometimes he plays dress-up. And sometimes the staff decides they want to challenge him, with the stakes being... dinner.

Umihara Kawase:
Not only is it the introduction to the Inoko MAX saga, but it's an interesting, unique game that folks in the west have probably never heard of. The pictures contributed by the game's artist are also a cool indication of the traction the show started to get in the industry.

Bonk's Adventure:
Not only is it a great game and a great challenge (even dealing with that... erm... setback), but the recap of the Ki challenge shows the lengths to which these people will go for the sake of old video games. Also, CARTOON MEAT. "Do you think they had cheese in this era?"

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

While I recognize it's currently in Discotek-publishing land and unavailable through legal means, I had a question about Ninja Gaiden (the first one)...

... how long did it take Arino to finish? Curious as to the number of hours. It's for a piece I'm working on.

Hopefully a helpful soul who might have a legacy copy of the video could look it up.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

joek0 posted:

I looked through the episode raw and find that the challenge is appr. 19 long.

Much appreciated!

Tyma posted:

19 hours, spread over 2 days

http://www.crunkgames.com/?p=87&page=42

Crunk Games is still a useful resource! RDBB is happy!

Guh. I forgot about that resource entirely! Twenty lashes for me. :h:

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I'd hold out more hope for a new GCCX game for the 3DS.

I don't know if I'd be on board with that. Part of the whole idea is "Games as they would be in the '80s," so how would you even go about adding 3D into that equation? Either have all the action on the bottom screen and just render player+Arino in 3D, or try to scrounge together enough games that look like they might work with that weird Sega Master System or Famicom 3D headsets. Hell, I don't even know if enough people remember those for such a thing to be feasible.

Alternately, instead of a full retail release, I think there'd be room for single-game releases on the 3DS Shop. Basically, you'd get one such retro-styled game, "Hosted" by Arino (or Kid Arino). That way, you could cross-release for DSi and 3DS, and not be strongarmed into making "3D" retro games.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Spaz Medicine posted:

Bomberman is a pretty good episode for ADs.

DJI.

The best part of Bomberman is the serial realizations that there's no backspace.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

FireCar posted:

coupon (queue-pon).

Huh, didn't realize that my pronunciation of "coupon" is apparently a "South" thing.

Also, perhaps it's my massive, uncoordinated gaijin tongue, but getting "ryu" into one syllable never feels as comfortable as "gyo" or "nya".

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

I'm in the weird position of not particularly disagreeing with any of the points being made about localization, but still enjoying a hyper-literal translation from time to time as a learning experience. Even if it means I have to stop down in the middle of a game of Persona to research what the gently caress "daigaku-imo" means. (And, subsequently, find a recipe because gently caress that looks delicious.)

I'm never against translator notes, mostly because I read very quickly and am always hungry for more data. And if said data is available in a purely optional format (read: the Pop-Up Menchi text bubbles from ADV's Excel Saga release), all the better.

Not to say there's anything wrong with localizations that manage to find a balance between the two. Anyone playing through Phoenix Wright's going to learn a thing or two about tokusatsu, simply because it's integral to the story, but they aren't going to get beat over the head with it.

tl;dr: I never think of translator notes as "necessary," but as a matter of personal preference, I'll rarely-if-ever complain.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

I recently played Umi no Nushi Tsuri (Legend of the gently caress YEAH SEAKING) for the SFC, and could totally see Arino's reaction to getting his rear end handed to him by a cat. That's what you get for going around smelling like fish.

Miss that Freshverse stream, though. I used to leave it on and become terrified by what Japan puts on television, like a comedy duo barging into peoples' homes and demanding gyoza. (Also, it made me hungry.)

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

So if this US DVD release sells well (and signs seem to be pointing in that direction), who's to say that, should another volume come down the pike, that the Discotek folks don't just stick someone in a jumpsuit, send them around to whatever arcades happen to still be open in the area (As Discotek is a product of the ADV fallout, I want to say their offices are in Austin?), and film their own TamaGe as bonus features?

Pipe dream, I know, but it's my favorite segment, by far. It's all about discovery and fun.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

English does have a couple gendered nouns, though they're mostly remnants of tradition. (Such as referring to boats/military vessels as feminine, "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by") Point is, articles don't change, and for that I'm eternally grateful. High school was hell trying to figure out if a particular "der" was the nominative masculine, dative feminine, or genitive feminine.

And then I studied Japanese and entered a whole new world of pain, trying to remember which shapes are counted with which suffixes. And that -tsu uses entirely different numbers than -satsu or -hon or -mai or the like.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Which is exactly why I asked the question. Unless you're a crazy person and are buying two.

And this is the situation I find myself in. I've got import copies of Pokemon Black and Pokemon Conquest, but because of the region-locking they won't work on my DSiXL or 3DS. They'll only run on my old-rear end, first-gen, DS-phat (what I've had to dismantle and reassemble in a new casing on at least one occasion).

It'll run me some $500 to import that new Pikachu-print 3DS LL, but it'd let me play those titles on the larger screens they deserve... not to mention any other import titles I may wish to obtain. (That said, I paid $625 for a Playchoice-10 arcade machine earlier this year. That $500 could get me three, maybe five games for it!)

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

How Ingratiating! posted:

Pokemon was mentioned, so I'll add that Japanese wi-fi events only go to Japanese Pokemon games. Pokemon Black is also entirely in kana with a kanji option, and Conquest has furigana, which is great for reading practice.

In addition to these reasons, I obtained Black so I could do an import review for the website I was writing for at the time, and actually ordered the Conquest import THE DAY it was announced for the US. (I had serious doubts. Ordered Battle & Get: Pokemon Typing DS at the same time, which is apparently giving the US a miss and heading straight on to Europe... free from that strange Nihon-shiki romanization that makes my eyes hurt.)

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Can you explain that Kanji option to me?

I mean, doing quick research, and apparently, there's a certain amount of kanji you are supposed to learn by a certain age. So I'm guessing the option is there to make sure little kids can still read the game, but adults can have an easier to read version?

There's an NPC in the first town, who toggles the game between "occasional kanji" and "no kanji anywhere."

As opposed to Pokemon Conquest, which always uses kanji but provides furigana... if you can make out hiragana characters jammed into 25 pixels. Again, another reason I'm tired of playing it on my first-gen DS-phat.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

PopeCrunch posted:

So what is the voice saying in the intro just before the ode to joy starts up? Sounds like something broadcast.

Play it backward and you'll hear "Satan Eats Cheez Whiz."

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

All my frustrations with passwords were paid off when Arino AND Urakawa AND Toujima said the same thing I said so many years ago:

"There's no backspace?"

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

I'd been holding off on watching the special until I could sit down and really enjoy it...

... and I just sat down and really enjoyed it. The best GCCX episodes inspire me to dig out my old games and be all "WELL IF THAT BASTARD CAN DO IT..."

And drat it to hell if that monkey-beating touch game didn't make me play Nanaca Crash for ten minutes. That game is like a black hole of timewasting.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

it's the only time I can think of that an AD has actually advanced the game in Arino's absence.

Emoto played several of the last stages of Wrecking Crew overnight, because Arino only had 4 hours available the next day.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

What's got two thumbs and poor impulse control?

Is it just me, or does Kawase there get more and more... um... "racktacular" with each iteration?

Also: Arino's perseverance has inspired me to finally finish Master Quest in OoT3D. I have the GameCube version, and had poked at it a bit some time ago... but the fact that they mirrored the entire game Twilight Princess-style came as quite a shock! I keep getting lost. Maybe I need squid snacks...

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

What is the bamboo/water contraption at the start of each Catch Copy round? I assumed it was some sort of water clock, but I really have no idea. :I

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheThingThatGoesDoink

Totally had a room full of these in Animal Crossing.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

No reason? Because I can think of loads of reasons to complain about any episode becoming only available to Netflix users. That's what's gonna happen, y'know-- just like it did with the Kotaku eps, the SAGCCX Team is probably going to take down the links to any shows that get on Netflix, and then if you can't use Netflix or live in a country where Netflix doesn't operate you're basically boned.

Y'know, I get the sinking sensation that the episodes that would be going up on NetHuluRoll would be...

... wait for it...

... the same, already-licensed episodes that were on the DVD, and whose download links aren't up anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

PureRok posted:

Goons will be goons.

I hope that regardless of what VoD service they choose that they offer the subbed version.

If it ends up on Hulu or Crunchyroll, it'll most likely be the subs. They have enough of an audience for K-Dramas and old postwar Japanese films from the Criterion Collection that it's not really a stretch. I can't say one way or the other for Netflix, though.