Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
It's kind of a shame that the second game will never get an English-language release.

I imported the game and stumbled my way through it despite not speaking a lick of Japanese and while I had fun with the actual game, since it is a bit of a step up from the first game, I always felt like I was missing out by not being able to read the dialogue.

Also, the game is really not import-friendly in the slightest. Japanese adventure games and RPG's are sort of impenetrable unless you're absurdly persistent or use some kind of guide like I did.

We can always bank our hopes into the fan translation. Which hasn't updated since January but that's not long enough for me to count them out as dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

BiggerJ posted:

Is the RGC2 translation still going?

The only group I know having a crack at the game hasn't updated their website since January.

I'm not holding out much hope, unless there's some second group that I don't know about. Shame too, it's a vast improvement over the first game in many ways but these games have tons of little secret thingies and clever writing that I know I'm missing out on due to language barrier: :smith:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

So I finally sat down and am playing through Retro Game Challenge, all I can say is, I am really upset that the second game never came over and I really hope that now that they know they have an American following they will release the 3ds game here. I'm very tempted to import the second game from Japan though. To anyone who has Imported the game, I understand that there is in fact 2 text adventure games and an RPG but with a 0 understanding of Japanese currently how hard would it be to play through the game, I guess if I were to try to self teach myself Japanese?

I played through the entirety of the game understanding precisely gently caress-all Japanese at the time. I think I still have a text file on my computer of extremely basic challenge translations just so I didn't have to dig through old GameFAQS threads everytime I wanted to know what I was doing.

Meitantei walkthroughs are available, so the pain is eased on that one. The RPG however, I just kinda got through by blind luck, intuition and trial and error. The first three challenges are pretty simple stuff akin to the first game's RPG challenges, last one might cause a bit more complications. It's nothing untenable though, you'll succeed eventually.

Yes, I do still have the thingy of the translated guide around.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

rdbbb posted:

You know what I meant. It's presented as a second disk nonetheless.

It's also pretty not-optional if you want the good ending. You need to beat all of the games and Meitantei is basically the only one without some kind of way to bullshit that requirement like being able to warp straight to the last level. It too, nonetheless has a guide so this is a non-issue, but it's still non-optional if you actually want to finish the game properly.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

'drat it, I meant to ask how familiar people were with the original Gundam series and if a reference to it would be understood. Sloppiness on my part, and I'm sorry for it.'

It's probably a good rule of thumb that anyone watching a subtitled Japanese TV show won't mind references like that, even if they don't get them.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Yesssssss. It may finally come to fruition after so much time waiting, I highly recommend this game to people who felt the first game fell just a bit flat in places because it improves on most everything.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Apollove posted:

What is everyone's favorite gamecenter cx moment. It can be anything.

This .gif really doesn't do this moment justice but I laughed so very hard at this.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Tonfa posted:

There are so many great moments but the top one has to be "Fightin's gone".

Context:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

ryden posted:

KACHO NO BONUS

This has to rank up there as one my favourites, even seeing the .gif just made me crack up even if it also doesn't really do the moment justice.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Andorra posted:

He struggled with Super Mario World but beat Solomon's Key rather quickly.

Arino is really good at puzzle games, not so good at action games. It's rather apparent where his strength lie in games because as soon as an action-y level cropped up in Solomon's Key, he had problems getting past it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

univbee posted:

It's limited to three launches? What the hell, Nintendo?! I pretty much have to save this for when I have a decent window of free time (and a full battery charge).

Who puts a limit on how many times you can launch a demo? What does that even accomplish?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

How long is Sweet Home?

Much shorter than your typical JRPG but longer than your average platformer. Given Arino's proficiency at platformers (that is to say, none) stretching the length of those out. I'd say it averages out to around the same sort of length as if he were to challenge one of those games.

In other words, I reckon it'd be an alright challenge game.

The White Dragon posted:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors fuckin' blows. It's ugly as poo poo, has crappy music and weak sound effects and unbalanced sound engineering in general, and has a ton of godawful gotcha rules in the weapons.

Ergo, it's a perfect game for a GCCX challenge.

I can only assume you played the Genesis version with such stunningly poor opinions on the game's aesthetic. Also, the weapons all follow a kind of cartoon logic that's extremely easy to interpret once you hop onto it for the first time. About the only baffling one is popsicles being a one-shot on the moving piles of goo, but that's not even a necessary or particularly important thing to know.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

ponzicar posted:

If you've ever seen The Blob it would make perfect sense. Cold was its only weakness.

Ahhh, of course. I haven't seen The Blob but that's pretty excellent, it's so very like ZAMN to reward players with knowledge of such movies.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

univbee posted:

Wasn't A-D only in the SNES remake?

I have a feeling I'm going to lose my gamer cred real soon. :ohdear:

Nah, A-D exist in the FDS version. And you only need eight stars to unlock it. World 9 is accessed through no warping.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

joek0 posted:

I wonder which GCCX 2 game is giving Arino that much trouble? My favs are Wizman and GunDuel.

Kacho wa Meitantei. This is probably the limited knowledge of Japanese talking but it was like the only hard game of the bunch.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Caitlin posted:

By the hour? You're getting ripped off. In the Chicago suburbs we have $15 for all day free play on over 400 machines. :smug:

We got something similar over here in London. Heart of Gaming charges about a tenner for all day free play. Small joint but it's got enough games.

400 machines though sounds like a blast.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

joek0 posted:

I can't wait to play an English translated version of RGC2. I played the hell out of my import copy. I even made an FAQ for Wizman and the Daily Challenges on GameFaqs.com

And I remember reading them and puzzling out the game with the aid of the forums. It's a small world, man. I'm excited to do it again though but this time in a language I can actually understand.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

SuperMarrio posted:

drat, no matter what I try, I cant get that patch to stick.

Yeah, I select both the patch and the game in the patcher and hit patch. The program kinda freezes for a second and then unfreezes, I then load the game up only to find that nothing has happened. No feedback, no nothing so I have gently caress all to go on here. Tried a different version of XDELTA which at least had the decency to spit an error in my face about INVALID INPUT but still no actual success.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

AnotherGamer posted:

If it works it should create another file in the same directory that's smaller than the original since it also crops the ROM, try hitting the "patch game" button a second time since it seemed it didn't do anything the first time around when I tried it.

Tried it a few times, still just nothing. No new file is created, nothing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Are you running Xdelta as an administrator?

I was not. Tried it, but still nothing. I appreciate the help, though.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Make sure you are using the specific release of Xdelta on the patch website, that's the only version that will work. Supposedly it will help if you put the patch and the ROM in the same folder as Xdelta.

Yep, did both of these initially. Tried it again anyway, nothing.

I have both the xDelta GUI.exe and the xdelta.exe itself set to run in administrator mode, tried it with admin tried it without, tried it with one in admin and one without etc, both .exe's are in the same folder as the ROM and the patch. I've tried pointlessly loving around with Compatibility Modes and am using the specific version of xDelta from the patch website. Tried redownloading the patch, redownloading the xdelta, trying a different ROM etc. Still the program does nothing more than seemingly stop for a second as if actually doing something (as in, I can't click the minimize or close buttons during this period) and then control comes back but absolutely nothing has actually been done.

It's really frustrating how the thing won't even spit out an error message to help because I'm just stuck here trying random poo poo with no direction.

EDIT: I gave up and tried a completely different computer running Windows 8 which worked without any fiddling whatsoever. Still didn't provide any actual confirmation that something had happened, but it did happen.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 2, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

univbee posted:

Only thing I can think of at this point is some kind of write permissions issue. Total shot in the dark, but try creating a folder on the root of your C drive

Even though I got mine working through different means, for the hell of it I tried this also and what do you know it also worked. You're brilliant.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

AaronTokunaga posted:

In any case I hope you are enjoying it. It was a nightmare of a project to get this far but very satisfying to see it come so far. I had no idea this was some kind of holy grail of translation projects; I just liked the show and retro games and wanted to tackle this. If you have any questions or comments for me I'm open to hear them.

Cheers,
Aaron

It's a remarkably well-done fan translation and I've been enjoying it immensely. I played the game in Japanese originally but my Japanese wasn't even slightly good enough to get my head around the adventure and RPG games, I've been really enjoying those two in particular now that I can understand them.

Also the magazines, god I need to read the magazines now and learn all of the secrets. Thanks for everything, Aaron and everyone else involved!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

AaronTokunaga posted:

Unless you like the Daily Challenges! You need 99999 points to unlock everything there.

If this number of points rightfully seems totally insane to you, here's a tip to accelerate the process. If you log into a daily challenge on whatever your DS thinks your birthday is, you gain like 2000 points as a birthday present, possibly upon completing/attempting the challenge, I can't remember.

It makes getting the full 99,999 much less of a hassle.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Obeast posted:

Speaking of RGC2, do the daily challenges ever get hard?

Yes, they get progressively harder.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Aurain posted:

Kibe has got a job writing a rip off of Hyperdimension Neptunia for Sega.

Isn't the main character of the Neptunia franchise based on a Sega console already?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

RadicalR posted:

What the heck happened to the second game?

Skipped for a joke, hell the third game actually makes references to events that presumably happened in the second game that we didn't see.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Potsticker posted:

I'm surprised that this game is getting so many episodes because it hasn't been a very entertaining watch. The game itself, I mean. Like the mechanics are all over the place. You collect bananas, banana coins, krem coins, DK coins (not sure what these do) and KONG letters.

The DK Coins are IIRC solely a thing put in for 100% completionists to go crazy over because I don't think they serve a function other than some little bonus thing at the end of the game. Banana coins are very plentiful and also respawn I think (?) so yeah, no need to worry about those. Krem Koins unlock the bonus Lost World. It IS all a bit of a confusing mess, you're right. Rare games had an unfortunate habit of having too many types of collectibles

As for the rest of your post, I agree with much of it. I've beaten DKC2 and 1 and just didn't enjoy either for much the same as the reasons you've given, fantastic music but that's about the only thing I enjoyed. Even knowing the game and knowing how generally beloved it is the first episode was alright but didn't light my world on fire, didn't really have any good peaks to it, just going through levels and then it ended.

maybe it'll pick up in the next couple of episodes I have yet to watch but kind of a lackluster outing for DKC2, I agree.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I think are a lot of fun and a huge improvement over the original in pretty much every respect.

I've played DKC1 and 2 and I couldn't tell you what was actually improved in relation to the first game. The animal friend mechanic was expanded upon and had more prominence but otherwise it controlled by and large the same and had a similar sort of structure where it had a handful of level gimmicks that alternate in and out inbetween the more traditional platforming levels.

I mean, if you liked it that's great and I don't mean to poo poo on anyone for it, I just don't get it when people say 2 was a big improvement over 1 because I didn't see a whole lot of difference. I'd say it's got more stuff for sure but didn't really refine any existing mechanics from the first game.

EDIT: Actually no I thought of something, DKC1 is full of level design that is tailor-made to catch the player out on their first time through (like when they start hiding enemies behind the foreground of the level exit which is so uncool) while DKC2 had none to my recollection so they got better about not designing their games the same way most people design loving ROMhacks

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 22, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

flyboi posted:

It was likely intentional, back then cheat codes were A Thing and intentionally left in games to be published in cheat books/magazines at some point later. They were mostly made to make the game easier. There's also one that can be input at the player select screen for extra lives however neither attribute to the 102% completion rate.

I think it was a tester thing because the steps required to achieve that result are totally random and nonsensical, especially in light of the game having actual cheat codes.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Aurain posted:

Is the DKC2 3 parter worth watching if you have no real interest in Donkey Kong Country at all? Around 3 hours of it might be a bit too much without the nostalgia, I'm thinking.

I got bored and stopped watching at Part 2 so I don't really think so. Kind of a weak set of episodes IMO.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

This game is loving impossible, holy poo poo.

It's perfect.

If I recall it can be beaten in like 15 minutes if you know what's what.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

cubeboy posted:

Looking forward to the weekend. I'm all caught up on the raws, so now I can re-watch and understand what's going on better.

I had strong intentions to keep playing the daily challenge as well. I made it up to 10,000 points playing for 2 months or so, but the challenges started taking way too long. The games are fun, but not enough to play them everyday in order to earn 99,999

Goes faster if you change your birthday in the DS menu to be the current day before you do a challenge, you're awared like 1000 bonus points for it being your birthday? I got to 99,999 but I honestly can't remember what the reward was.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Ofecks posted:

I noticed the dance pad they used was a GameCube one. I owned a GC at one point, but I don't recall SMB being one of the NES games you could play in Animal Crossing. How did they do it?

SMB was distributed for the Japanese version of the game only in a Famitsu giveaway. It still exists in the code in all versions of the game and can be accessed with cheat devices and such.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

This sounds like it could be seriously awesome. I want to check out the RAW now even though I can't understand the questions.

Yeah, usually I can get away with watching the raws since I understand Japanese a bit but I feel like I'd lose a lot of the episode through not being able to read through the questions fast enough.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

Does your video player have a pause button?

Of course, but who wants to be pausing the video all the time to slowly read on-screen text?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

The actual ones are only distributed as prizes at the end of each episode, as far as I know.
Then there's the ones (unsigned) with each DVD set.

They also came with copies of the second Game Center CX game because I've got one of those. Also unsigned.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

I really want to see that Resident Evil episode but I don't think you can cover that game in an hour.

Speedruns of that game barely clock in at under an hour so yeah absolutely no way they got the whole game done in that timeframe.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

"The Antennoid zone's gravitational pull makes the ship slow and sluggish."

Huh. Did they put an excuse in the manual for the slowdown from all those objects, then?

I also just heard this line and had a really disproportionately hearty laugh. God, that's an adorable justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

This works SO much better in .webm format.