Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The book looks great, although I'll be waiting for a physical release myself as well. Without a tablet or the like, my only portable option is my laptop, which has a terrible battery life due to age, and this book seems like something that would be awesome to have on the go, for the occasional weekend trip or long commutes.

That, and I still have to put aside some money to buy the DVD box set as well, which will come first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It looks like somebody else has started subbing as well, as a new translated video popped up recently. It's the first revenge episode. Not sure if this news has made the rounds yet. URL is spoilered because just like in the OP, the URL technically spoils the result of an episode.

http://www.gamingcx.com/2013/06/gamecenter-cx-revenge-legend-of.html

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Son Ryo posted:

Does anyone happen to know where I might be able to download this from? As far as I tell the only thing you can do in this link is watch the video on the page.

Here's a link: https://mega.co.nz/#!XEFTRIwR!VpLB7Ujk2eHMoOY2Ow-M5zvWC3BpIM5XjQ75NFOxuhA

This is the updated version - they changed a few things in the translation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

A new subbed release coming from the newly christened Team VR-GCCX - the second revenge episode: https://mega.co.nz/#!J9BRFYgJ!fAC-SgtyW56zqoTNPgLUkhXnAc5eChYrqtDQo3qqG-A

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mister Chief posted:

Is this the same group who subbed the mystical ninja revenge challenge?

Yeah. Didn't have a name at that time and only came up with it later.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

This might work too:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/61rc63knrr2cfqu/GameCenter_CX_RE2_-_The_Genji_and_the_Heike_Clans.mp4.001
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wdzcdhiq5k86cnt/GameCenter_CX_RE2_-_The_Genji_and_the_Heike_Clans.mp4.002

You'll have to join the two files with HJSplit because Mediafire didn't allow for the whole 206 MB file to be uploaded in one piece.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

As an aside, would it be possible to add these new VR-GCCX subs to the list in the OP for completion's sake? Not sure if anybody from the team has looked them over and approved/disapproved of them yet.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

zari-gani posted:

I haven't seen their subs yet (or the most recent GCCX eps, for that matter :ssh:) but nice to hear! I know they're trying to do stuff we're unlikely to do, too -- SAGCCX would like to get in contact with them to let them know what our future release plans are. :)

The easiest way to get in touch with them directly would be over e-mail - you can get the addresses at their new website: http://ligadosaterra.org/vr-gccx/

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Lik posted:

Oh snap, went back to CDJapan to check and they had one copy left with trading card. Excellent!

Actually, I think the counter is broken, because they had just one copy left when I bought mine on the 6th, and it's still sitting at 1 now.

I'll have to see what I get when mine shows up today - it already arrived in Germany, so it should show up on time. FedEx sure is snappy.

EDIT: Just got my copy, and it came with the Arino trading card.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 8, 2013

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

For the "four letters of the alphabet" thing, I thought a bit outside the box and ended up deciding that it was going to be Murder on the Mississippi, because "Mississippi" only uses four letters of the alphabet.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ponzicar posted:

They should have sent a letter in with the secret word on it. Maybe the game is lovely enough, that nobody bothered to enter the contest, and they could have won something.

Or at least receive an amusing reply they could put on a future episode.

They probably would have gotten something, because the same thing happened in the Wing of Madoola episode. It was Sunsoft there, too. Arino found a secret word, but couldn't find the postcard to send it in with, so he instead called Sunsoft up and asked if he could get something if he just sent the word in on a regular postcard (or something like that). He was told he wouldn't win anything (because they didn't have the special prize in storage anymore), but got sent some small Hebereke plushies instead.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Question: Is it possible to easily re-do this latest sub with a different video file? Because I found a link to a different master over on 4chan's GCCX thread:

https://mega.co.nz/#!MYVQUKgb!PwQ6A2GaiLLhiUB-HIvnMXoA8ZUsuJHewHFcgWY8hC8

It's 30 FPS (which is probably better for consistency's sake) and the video quality is superior, while at the same resolution - everything looks much sharper, and scaling it up to full screen doesn't cause eyesores anymore. I'm not sure what was done to the master that was used to "improve" it.

Here's a comparison shot for upscaling - it's easy to see how much better this one is:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'm currently upping the Karnov episode to my Mediafire account, where it should stay longer. Give it about 2 hours.

Also, VR-GCCX has hit somewhat of a snag with our subber/encoder quitting, citing external drama and burn-out as his reasons, which leaves us with basically nothing but Kakaricho and the people in the 4chan threads. Time will tell where this goes.

EDIT: Finished my upload:

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/7qctcimh75dpn42/Game_Center_CX_%23146_-_Karnov.mp4.001
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7z5pjaec5004gao/Game_Center_CX_%23146_-_Karnov.mp4.002
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n063ef94c2at4ie/Game_Center_CX_%23146_-_Karnov.mp4.003

Join with HJSplit.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 14, 2013

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FredMSloniker posted:

Which of these is the sting that plays at the end of a game-playing segment that's all dramatic and cliffhangary and stuff? It's not Headhunter, and I don't think it's Pirates of the Caribbean, and those are the only two that are just listed as 'Arino's Challenge BGM'...

(I could have sworn I'd asked this question before, but if I did it wasn't in this thread.)

Can you pinpoint an appearance in a certain episode?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kakaricho posted:

That sounds familiar...

So it wasn't just me that thought that to be a bit too familiar. Good to know.

I'll have to get to watching the special some time today - can't have this kind of stuff sit around on my hard drive unwatched for too long.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I very badly want a Che Guevara style t-shirt with a still of Arino in that beret.

Don't tell me you didn't think of it too.

I didn't, but now that you mentioned it, yes, this needs to be a thing for sure.

As an aside, an opportunity really was missed to make an Asterix-style picture for the Paris special instead of a Tintin one. Just because replacing Obelix with Watanabe just makes itself.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Random Stranger posted:

They can't kill us. We're [redacted for the next eight hours or so] for them!

This doesn't leave too many options, now.

EDIT: Officially calling Retro Game Master DVDBOX 2.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 20, 2013

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So it's probably going to be the baseball game episode? Sports games are a prime candidate for loadsa names.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Austrian mook posted:

Okay, I'm a little confused, this show looks great but how do I start? Should I just order the Amazon DVD? I don't know Japanese at all since that's pretty important.

Start by grabbing some episodes from these torrents: http://www.nyaa.se/?user=241573

No sense in buying the DVD right away before you know if the show is for you.

As for which episodes to start with, there's a list in the OP with a good amount of different things you could be looking for. A personal favorite I'd pick to start with is episode 1 in season 14, Paris-Dakar Rally Special. It encapsulates a lot of things that are great about GCCX. Alternatively, the Lemmings episodes would also be a great place to start.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Last Continue just released their subs for Blaster Master:

http://lcgccx.tumblr.com/post/70807616798/gccx-160-blaster-master

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

zari-gani posted:

...it has a message from Arino! This one's a little tough to translate, but it roughly says "To Nina, let's continue our never-see-each-other relationship. Chief of GCCX Shinya Arino"

That is so Arino it's incredible. For such a small message, it still exudes his style very noticeably. Also, those gifts are awesome.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

VR-GCCX started on the GameCenter CX threads on /vr/ and has since disbanded over drama involving burnout of the subber, video quality and a few other things. Kakaricho here was the main driving element of the group as the translator and has since moved on to the SA team (I think?).

EDIT: Beaten to it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, he's working with us. Shadow of the Ninja was the first video translated by him that we've released but there's a few more in the pipeline already.

Thanks for clearing that up. It would have been a shame if the entire team just imploded without any of the talent moving on and still working to bring more Arino goodness to the masses.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FredMSloniker posted:

So have all these links been added to the OP? If not, could they be, please? A friend of mine does a weekly game-playing stream to which I contribute episodes of GCCX cut into sections (so he can use them to fill time when he's taking a break and/or setting up the next game), and I want to be sure I'm not missing anything I could show.

Couldn't you just go with the new site - SA-GCCX.com?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Obeast posted:

Speaking of LC translating Blaster Master, did they say they were gonna re-release it since the original had some typos and stuff? And, if so, did the new version ever come out? :confused:

I don't believe they ever said anything - re-releasing episodes because of typos isn't the norm anyway, isn't it?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FredMSloniker posted:

If Random Stranger didn't want to update the OP, that'd be his prerogative, but why do you (by whom I mean TheMcD and Mister Chief) have a problem with me wanting the OP updated? I literally don't understand why having a site that has the correct information for GCCX episodes means it's wrong for me to ask that incorrect information be corrected or removed.

It's not wrong, but I just figure it's not worth the effort. If the OP was the main hub for centralized GCCX information, then I would think it prudent to make sure it's updated, but with the site existing, one might as well just use that and move on.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You mean the site that's not referenced anywhere in the OP, that people who don't regularly read this thread probably don't know about?

The question comes up often enough that someone might as well just do it and get it over with.

Well, if I were in charge of the OP, I probably already would have edited it to have a big fat link to the site that should be impossible to miss. I'm not, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Obeast posted:

Okay... I swear I saw something mentioned about it being re-released on the Steam group, but maybe I was imagining things and/or misread something.

Well, guess what, I was wrong!

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=511601

V2 of Blaster Master is out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

My personal favorite is the series of cardigans from F-Zero. I love the line about the "seasonal spring outfit".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

makere posted:

Which episode was the "KOTAK!" promo for the RGM?

Child-Rearing Quiz: My Angel, if you mean the Arino intro where he speaks English.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Meme Emulator posted:

Post the picture of Arino trying to win the Rei wearing a sheer thing.

Also, this is another one of my favorite moments (technically):

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Azazell0 posted:

It better be the Budokan live show!

Well, thanks to Last Continue, we know that our guys and gals are working on that, so that might very well be it. Hoping for the DKC2 three-parter myself.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Son Ryo posted:

This is a post that shouldn't have to be made, but some of the posts in this thread have been making me wonder-- everyone who's watched it knows that those are joke subs and not what's actually being said, right?

The complete tonal shift at the reading of the catch copies should normally be a dead giveaway.

Still, I had no idea about this going into the video, and the thing that stood out to me was the "panoramic" talk I recognized from the original segment. So combine that with the obvious cuts, the very different display of the posters and the fact the posters are English and it should be very obvious.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

As an aside, is there a particular reason why DVD bonus and Nintendo Channel challenges are subbed so little compared to regular episodes (40~50% on the former compared to roughly 70~80% on the latter)?

Not complaining, just wondering. Well, maybe I am complaining, because I want to see Spelunker subbed, but then again, I also want to see DKC2 subbed, so it evens out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Katana Gomai posted:

Try the spin jump. He doesn't even know (or at least, doesn't appear to know) how to use the spin jump.

He knew it, just not its awesome offensive/defensive capabilities - you have to use the spin jump to find the exit out of the Forest of Illusion.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Lurdiak posted:

That is a 100% Prince of Persia reskin. He moves exactly the same, that is incredibly ballsy.

He doesn't move exactly the same, it looks a bit different. And the combat is completely different too (sword combat in PoP vs. punches and kicks in Nosferatu). Just because it's very similar doesn't mean it's a reskin - Prince of Persia simply created a genre of "realistic sidescrollers" that some people got in on.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Yeah, the DVDs were translated by ZG. I'm pretty sure if SAGCCX wasn't around, I wouldn't have these, but be an rear end in a top hat sure.

Knowledge spread and creation of a whole new overseas market are powerful things, aren't they? While I don't really know my history, I'm pretty sure the SA-GCCX project has been directly responsible for an increased awareness for GameCenter CX overseas, which opened up a whole new market for them, leading to the KOTAK releases, the Diskotek DVD set, and it probably had an impact as far as the turnout for things like the Paris event are concerned. I think the show overall has profited from the work this group has done.

I certainly wouldn't have gotten into the show without those subs, myself.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sweet Jesus, they sure did drag the gently caress out of the Super Mario Bros. part. Feels like it makes up like an entire hour of the special. It was tense as hell and still enjoyable, but I still kind of wish they struck more of a balance.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'd like to see Famicom Detective Club. Arino puzzling over mysteries is always great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

flyboi posted:

The most common games for Neo Geo in the states in no order are Puzzle Bobble, Magician Lord and Nam-1975. Metal Slug was in a lot of places but most every Neo Geo cab I remember growing up had Puzzle Bobble more than Metal Slug.

The Neo-Geos I played when I was younger mostly had Metal Slug, Puzzle Bobble and some version of King of Fighters as near constants, which was mostly on vacation in Portugal or the Canaries. Never encountered any in Germany or on any of the local Army bases.

As for that future episode, could it be that it involves a window washer?