Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Thanks for this one, and all the hard work I'm sure this took. I mentioned a few pages ago, but I loved the RAW of this one, and I'm sure that it will be even more amazing when I watch it later knowing what they're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I have a question. There seemed to be a joke about when Arino labeled his hat with GCCX where the G was centered and larger. Can anyone explain the joke for that?

Obeast posted:

I wanted to ask about this since it seems like every time Arino used the pitcher to pick up a ball after a successful hit or bunt, it never worked whereas the other fielders could pick it up just fine. Is/was this a bug/glitch in the game itself or some kind of real life rule in Japanese High School Baseball that Arino might've not known of? :confused:
A lot of those old baseball games are like that. I think the hit detection starts at the pixel at the bottom of the players feet, and then extends in front of the player for a few pixels. A lot of those NES baseball games are like that where you have an easy time picking up a ball in front of you, but you practically have to run through the ball if you're chasing it down.

I've played a TON of NES baseball games in my day, including Little League Baseball (as well as RBI, Baseball Stars, Bad News, Major League), and I don't ever remember the CPU ever squeeze bunting (or just regular bunting for that matter) more than a few times. The CPU definitely liked to do the squeeze bunt more than anyone would imagine they should in video or real baseball. I also love that there's a special animation for diving waaaayyy outside for the bunt.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Firstborn posted:

Is there like a beginner episode where I can see if I dig the show? The staggering amount of seasons is pretty intimidating in the OP.
I still love the episodes where Arino struggles with a game, but through repetition, finally starts getting better and eventually beating it.
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Battletoads
Mighty Bomb Jack
Ninja Gaiden

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 14, 2015

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

What's a game you want Arino to play? I recently requested Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth.
We now find out that Kakaricho is secretly Kan?

Here's a "few", I realize that some of these may have rights issues. If you plan to actually use these as suggestions, I don't care which name is used.
Adventures of LoLo
Batman
Bubble Bobble
Bucky O Hare
Castlevania 2
Chip N Dales Rescue Rangers
Double Dragon 1-3
Godzilla
Guardian Legend
Little Nemo Dream Master
Mario Open Golf

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I just finished watching GCCX the movie (not knowing Japanese), and was wondering what happens after Daisuke goes back to 1986, when he meets up with the girl and the guy with the soccer ball. Is that guy supposed to be her boyfriend? Also, noticed Nina's credit in the movie as it's one of the only English names in it.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
In the Family Jockey episodes, they kept on talking about Ogawa in relation to him winning at the Budokan, but I couldn't figure out how it related to Family Jockey. Can anyone explain how they tried connecting Ogawa in Derby Stallion to Family Jockey?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

joek0 posted:

What is the new segment from the 2nd half of season 18? It seems to be like last season where Arino play and discuss games from MSX.
I finally got around to seeing one of these, and I feel like it may end up being my new favorite segment. It would be even better if Kibe dressed in some good 80s gear to add to the 80s feel.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I'm hoping for a SAGCCX April Fools version of Famicom Living National Treasures. the first time I saw that segment I didn't think much of it, but watching it a second time (knowing more about Arino), I think the segment is hilarious.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Looking forward to the weekend. I'm all caught up on the raws, so now I can re-watch and understand what's going on better.

Obeast posted:

I know I'm kinda late with this, but on Retro Game Challenge 2, you unlock a t-shirt for checking the Daily Challenge (you don't have to attempt it) on Feb 25 due to it being Arino's birthday.

Also, yes, I'm still doing the Daily Challenges everyday to get to 99,999 points despite the fan translation being out for a while by now, and me having the ability to change the date at will on my 3DS so I could accomplish this in a few days/weeks rather than actual months (or even years). They're starting to take longer for the most part (unless I find a cheat or cheats that makes the challenges easier/faster to complete), but I'm still having fun doing them. :dealwithit:
I had strong intentions to keep playing the daily challenge as well. I made it up to 10,000 points playing for 2 months or so, but the challenges started taking way too long. The games are fun, but not enough to play them everyday in order to earn 99,999

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

Next challenge is The Mysterious Murasame Castle on the Disk System.

Also, apparently these's a big announcement about season 19.
It looks like this is their season finale too. Episode 200 will be in season 19, so maybe that's related to the big announcement?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Any word on how long the break is before Season 19?

Kakaricho posted:

The big announcement about Season 19 is asking Arino what he'd like to do for the next season, he reflects on challenging D, and says he'd like to challenge games on newer systems. As such, from Season 19, games on the PS1, Saturn and 3DO are 'unlocked', meaning we'll be seeing more challenges using them.
Sounds like they're running out of 8bit-16bit games :)

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I hope they add some suspense into the privilege of these unlocked games. Something like, If you lose X amount of games, you will lose your rank at GCCX, or we will force you to play X 8-bit game, or... bring back in the theme that GCCX is a company that Arino can be promoted or demoted.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

A shooter pic for a shooter episode!

This time Arino is playing the most expensive game they've ever used in an episode: Super Spy Hunter. The US version can be easily found for less than ten dollars, the Japanese version for several hundred. Will he be intimidated by this game?

This time out the episode was translated by zari-gani, timed by Gutcruncher, and really was checked by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent!
Thanks. I never gave this game the time of the day until I saw the raw of this episode. It's actually a pretty fun game with a nice amount of depth.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
After watching it I'm a bit confused.
Since when is a $150 complete in box rare game expensive? I was waiting for $1000+ or something like that. Don't get me wrong, it's not cheap, but I'm a bit surprised.
I'm also shocked that they considered this game to be so difficult. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty hard, but once you're fully (or near full) powered up, it gets a lot easier.

Enjoyed the two new releases a ton regardless. The commentaries for the Ryu drawings were my favorite. a hadouken shoots out everytime he claps.... Patiently awaiting the next three releases. Take your time :)

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Thanks for all the great releases team. It's great to see you guys try to complete out Season 15. I patiently await one episode that features the Game Center MSX segment :)

Any status on the season 0 interview episodes? I'm assuming they aren't in the near future, and that's OK, because they probably aren't very good GCCX episodes, but I've always wondered about them since some of the untranslated episodes seem to feature some pretty big names in the industry.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kanfy posted:

Smile and optimism is probably the most famous line from the show so it pretty much has to be that one.
My bad memory prevents me from remembering what this line is from specifically. Can someone refresh my memory please? :)

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

I know a nice local place. Dank, dark and smoky basement arcade, mostly old games that cost 10-100 yen a game, and a great crowd.
I'd go (more often) after work, but then I'd smell like a smoke room, or have to pay for more dry cleaning.

Still, crushing some conbini beers (owner turns a blind eye so long as you buy him a premium brand) and arguing about arcade vs. home ports, etc., it's a pretty great place.
Thank god smoking is no longer allowed indoors in the US. I used to go to a place with a similar atmosphere where it seemed like everyone inside was smoking all the time. It was always terrible going in there because of that reason. It's a much better experience now that smoking isn't allowed.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

pnumoman posted:

I'm gonna guess the inside of literally every cabinet that predates the smoking ban. Tobacco smoke + dust + electronics = forever disgusting.
So true. It's nothing like buying an old console or video game online, only to have it come from a house with a smoker. It stinks, and it seems to last forever.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Rochallor posted:

Also, Arino is really drat good at level design. There were a lot of cheap tricks, but also a lot of creative things, like having to get the shell to clear the boxes to get to the star.
I was definitely surprised a bit at this too. And also by Arino's hair!

Definitely a great special. I also didn't really care too much about Mario Maker, but after watching this, I'm definitely going to buy it. I'll challenge my kids to make a level that I can't beat.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I was just watching the IQ Part 2 raw, and I love the designers of foreign language clothing that use curse words. Like Inoue's cap that says gently caress in big words. Or one episode that had a female crew member wearing a shirt that said Rack across her chest. I've been told that the two Japanese text clothing that I've worn regularly enough were innocent, unless my Japanese speaking friend was lieing to me :)

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
The 30th anniversary special was awesome. I love how much Arino picked on them for wearing masks, and then giving no praise at all to the Kiyo. He almost looked like he might cry, but I guess that's what you get for refusing to play along with taking the mask off :)

Random Stranger posted:

I just played Super Mario Bros. with a dance pad. It was tough and exhilarating and you could say I did a smidge better than Arino.
I'm working on ordering a gamecube dance pad just so I can play Super Mario Bros with it and others as well. This is the first time I've heard of doing that, and it seems geniously fun.

Interesting how the recipe has you make the crust from scratch, but than use store bought pizza sauce.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 29, 2015

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I finally received my Gamecube dance mat. I was able to beat level 1-1 of SMB in 5 lives. It's a lot trickier than I thought it would have been.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

zari-gani posted:

In the latest episode, Arino played another quiz game. No wait, it's a dating sim. No, wait...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_Nanairo_Dreams

It's a quiz game crossed with a dating sim. :stare:
Were there any announcements about them doing anything for the 200th episode?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pqdrV3_yk4

"Onigiri Pon!", with bonus adorable children.

Edit - A longer, clearer version is here if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmUq9prqKaY
Whats the translation for the chorus of this?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

FredMSloniker posted:

I'd heard that it was kind of lame compared to the original version. What are your (plural) thoughts?
I've purchased all three and can say...
The 3DS version is very good if you haven't played both of the WiiU versions. The 3DS version recycles some, but not all, of the first two's games. It also doesn't include the originals "bonus" content, but instead offers up "Speed Mario", which is really disappointing considering all of the other games that could have been part of a bonus content.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Mysse posted:

I think I've asked this before but now's the time to do it again: is there any good way for me to get rid of my excessive gccx merch? Bought these from the DVD box 10 event and wouldn't mind the extra cash:

Does this mean you're giving us first crack at this stuff?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

zari-gani posted:

I've been working on a Season 1 episode (with all the interviews and such) and oh, this game dev.

AWESOME! I anxiously await this one.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Everytime I see any Super Mario Maker special, it makes me want it more and more :)

I like what they've done so far, but I hope I don't end up being dissapointed.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
An official Nintendo thing. Is this going to be along the same lines of the 3DS/Wii/WiiU digital versions, or is this going to be a brand new "series" to go along with CX? Brilliant idea regardless, even if it is a show to promote the new games coming out.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

oopsie rock posted:

Is there any chance of this getting subbed by the fabulous SA team? If so, I love you guys. If not, I still love you guys. (really.)
As cool as that would be, my official vote for sub fast tracking would be the upcoming Vietnam trip, as those are almost always one of the better episodes. And by "fast track", I don't care about having it rushed, I just vote for it to be moved to the top of the list :)

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Great job on the episodes. Quality unique content throughout. I played the demo back in the day, but also bought it because it's a pretty fun game. I still own it, and actually played it a little bit after I watched the RAW, and it still honestly holds up. Not to mention, that it's one of the more unique puzzle games.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Producer Kan wrote...
Thanks for that link. Iwata came off to me as a genuinely positive person, so it's good to see that it may be the truth.

Vlaphor posted:

I just watched Ghosts n Goblins get demolished in SGDQ (20 minutes to do both runs) and all I could think of was "poor Arino".
I was lucky enough to go in person this year being that it was in MN US. Although I wasn't lucky enough to watch that block of games, I kept thinking the same thing when they would speed run any of the games he played.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 4, 2015

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I'd like to show a friend an episode of GCCX, and was wondering which episodes you all think are the best to introduce someone to the series with — I'd really like to show how funny this show is, but have a terrible, terrible memory. What do you all suggest?
I'm more of a fan for the times where he struggles a LOT on games I can relate to, but after trying over and over again, he eventually triumphs, so... that's every game he plays. But seriously, the ones that seem more epic to me on that scale are these ones
Super Mario World (I almost started shouting "GO UNDER!" at the screen)
Mighty Bomb Jack Saga
Ninja Gaiden
Battletoads

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 9, 2015

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
A quick rant about Mario Maker. As much as I love the idea, most of the levels are dreadfully boring and un-creative. Most of the expert levels are incredibly difficult, and most of the reason that they're difficult is because they have too much guess work. It's very rare to find an actual well made level at any difficulty level.

McLaglen posted:

Poking about the Mario Maker website in an attempt to find out more about the Arino costume, this turned up instead: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/amaj/arinoplay/index.html

It seems there'll be a live event on 12th December where Arino plays through more user-created levels, via a submission form that's available for the next 8 weeks: https://mariomaker-cp.nintendo.co.jp/

If you login with a Nintendo Network ID, the form asks for your nickname, region (ie. Japan-only), course ID, and a short comment for Arino.
Just submitted my levels
My levels
42E5-0000-006A-5012
9CD0-0000-0089-85FB

My 10 year old's levels
725D-0000-0088-9069
4A56-0000-0089-F78B

My 12 year old's level
DA13-0000-008A-2674

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Hirayuki posted:

Is anybody else in here :corsair: enough to remember and/or have owned/played Journey Escape on the Atari 2600?
Old enough to remember that, but also old enough for the far superior Journey arcade game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opUftfKhdZc

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 23, 2015

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I just finished watching the Trojan episode and was hoping someone could explain what the bit was with Kibe and all of the notes that were hung up at the end. It looks like it's a pretty funny episode in general.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

The joke is a bit long, and spoilers a lot, so avoid this if you want to wait for subs.

During the opening, they talk about how when the staff scouted the game, they felt Arino could clear it before dinner. As such, there's a bonus challenge of "clear the game before dinner, because it costs a lot to order food for everyone." (A continuation of how broke GasCoin is after the 10th anniversary celebrations.)

After the DJ Monster segment, Kibe shows up, wanting Arino to write a comment for the obi (sash around most books/CDs/most media sold in Japan) for his second book, like Arino did for his first book) Arino teases him a bit with insulting content, and Kibe leaves.

Later, Arino has a continue miss (apparently due to slippery fingers caused by eating squid), so Kibe and the staff present all write reminders, which are posted in the room.

The ones easiest to see say:

"I want to eat dinner together dad!" "No more continue misses!" "Continue misses forbidden", and from Kibe "Continue misses totally forbidden!" with continue directions written, as well as a small "My second book now on sale!" in the corner

It was a great episode, Trojan, E-SWAT and Shockman have been great, I hope they keep this up.
Thanks. They have really been putting out some quality episodes lately. And the Zelda 2 episode was great as well. Definitely will be a good set of subbed episodes once your team gets around to it.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Cat Machine posted:

There's an archive up now:
http://youtu.be/dtqfiDAYCO4

I got a little emotional watching Arino apologise to me. Not gonna lie.
Nice work. Glad someone here was lucky enough to get their level shown.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

During part two of Zelda 2 Arino wasn't able to beat Thunderbird before time was up and so he's going to try again during the 15 minute New Year Special.
What was the deal with the black canned drink with the kacho sprite on it during the episode?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

zari-gani posted:

Speaking of Game Center CX being like Top Gear for video games, how long until Arino gets fired for punching Producer Kan in the face?
After they announce his replacement with the guy from Game Center DX, and retool the challenges so that his replacement is only required to play 4 hours at a maximum.

zari-gani posted:

2-hour-long Vietnam trip special (the excerpt above is from that).
Awesome. Glad you're prioritizing this one, as the trip specials are always one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I just got done watching the Chase HQ episode which had a great ending, but I have two questions.
1) I feel like I've seen the "new" AD on many previous episodes, am I remembering correctly? If so, I'm guessing they haven't found the next AD yet?
2) What was the story behind the new AD throughout the episode? First at the arcade, and then the ending?