Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mister Chief posted:

Isn't it impossible to pass that challenge and you just automatically progress after 30 attempts?

I hope this is true so bad. What a fantastic troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have a spoilery question:

In the punch-out episode, when they are asking for ideas for episodes to do live, they mention that Arino didn't beat Quest of Ki on christmas and ask if he wants to try it again. I thought the whole point of the Bonk's Adventure recap was that he DID beat it on Christmas eve?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me real fast what episode space invaders cx was shown in?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also re: Tim Rogers, I could swear I read in one of his posts that he claimed he sold some internet site or concept or whatever for tons of money?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's also appeared in Shocking MAX or whatever the segment is called

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wait, vanilla Super SF 2 didn't have Super combos?

Weird, I had no idea

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wow holy poo poo I played this stupid game (Genji and Heike) once at a hotel in Scotland where they had PS1s you could borrow and they only game they had was this namco collection in Japanese, and I picked a random one and it was this garbage.

I really never thought I'd see this game again, but at least I know what it is now!

(I didn't even get to the first flat stage without turning it off I think)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

The English version of that Namco collection is the only way to obtain an English version of the game. Naturally Namco Museum Volume 4 for the PS1 goes for a small fortune.

Oh if they made an English version maybe it was in English and I just forgot as I attempted to block that game from my mind, haha

Also instead of "poo poo game" I think the code word you have to use with this show is "hidden masterpiece"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Robodemon posted:

Don't forget that the Japanese Zelda II has a different leveling system, if you game over your stats reset to the lowest ranked out of your Attack, Magic, and Life.

So if you were 3-1-1 and game over you would be back to 1-1-1, even though you can choose to keep leveling up attack, but if you end up doing that and die you are back to square one.

I guess there is nothing stopping Arino from farming though and being relatively safe while doing so.

Holy poo poo did it really do that

That would be really bad towards the endgame when levels take forever

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

zari-gani posted:

The original name is Oni Tengu -- oni being a Japanese ogre, and tengu being a unique type of monster-god that's extremely prevalent in Japanese culture. Wiki explains it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu

You may have seen it in other video games. The most obvious example I can think of is Tengu Man from Mega Man 8.

Tengus are often seen carrying a fan made of feathers or a big momiji (Japanese maple) leaf. They're both used to create powerful gusts of wind.

When I was a little kid when Mega Man 8 came out I had never heard of a Tengu and I was like "What?? They're just making up words now!"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain what the joke is (if any) of Arino doing the shoulder touch thing during the waste of color intro?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

zari-gani posted:

The title of "A Waste of Color" is taken from the (awful) 1985 song (sung by a bunch of teenage girls) that plays in the background called "Don't Take Off My School Uniform" by Onyanko Club ("Kitty Club"). There's a famous little dance that goes with this song, and that's what he's mimicking.

Here's that song performed by AKB48, the group Male AD Takahashi -- and all of Akihabara today -- is obsessed with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwk9PzMe14E
The movement Arino does can be seen at 1:37. He also mouths the next line in the song in the first episode of that segment, I think.

And here's the original Onyanko Club performing the song in their 2002 reunion, 15 years after disbanding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66FJjbDvbrw#t=5m00s

Brief Japanese lesson: There's a line in the song that goes "'Cause it would be a waste" -- in Japanese it's mottainai kara. Kara in this context means "'cause," but they stretched it out so it sounds like karaa -- "colour". Hence the title of the segment, "Mottainai Karaa (Colour)".

Any oddities like that during segments, it's usually safe to assume it's in reference to the song that's playing. For example the random stuff Arino says at the beginning of the "Sing About Whatever You Want" segments are actually lyrics from the song they got the title from, "Do Whatever You Want."

Thanks zarigani :)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the last two are definitely Sasano and Tanii, but I don't know the other one either.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Waste of Color made me curious about the SGB and I found a pretty interesting article about it:

http://blog.scoutshonour.com/post/2350461718/gently caress-the-super-gameboy-introduction

One of the sections is specifically about donkey kong:

http://blog.scoutshonour.com/post/2379636248/gently caress-the-super-gameboy-donkey-kong

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Liku posted:

Are you comparing Street Fighter 2010 to Hamlet? :psyduck:

Also, :drat: at Arino calling Watanabe Majin Buu.

Even though I find the general Watanabe abuse pretty mean I did laugh pretty hard at the Majin Buu thing.

She really did look like him with the big gloves on :(

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I know this isn't the Japanese language thread but can I ask a couple of random Japanese questions since I think there are like at least 4 people in here that speak it?

Is there a politeness or gender thing as far as pronouncing the word-final "u" of words? I noticed in Ring Ring Tactics the woman on the phone pronounced all the vowels of "desu" a lot, although mostly at the end of phrases. I don't think I've ever heard a man do that, so I was wondering if it was like a politeness thing or a feminine thing? I also noticed it when I was watching the Downtown newspaper batsu episode, that the woman (actress?) who played the secretary said "Ohayo gozaimasuuu" with a really long u at the end, which made me think it was some sort of formality/politeness thing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"It is. Very American, too."

:canada:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

I thought I'd make a crosspost about speedrunning since the game involved is very famous in the GCCX community, the game being Adventure Island. It was recently run in a speedrunning marathon(for charity) overseas in Europe and I saw it mentioned in the SA speedrunning thread so I thought some might be interested.

I had personally never seen the game speedrun before and odds are you haven't either but if you have about 50 minutes why not sit back and see someone absolutely destroy an impossibly tough game notorious for beating down even really good gamers, humiliating Arino, and causing Urakawa to drat near kill himself beating it.

This is nearly flawless play on a ridiculously difficult game. He wastes almost no shots, his jumps are amazing and his memorization shows the amount of time he put in practicing this game. Considering the memories I have of this game personally and of the episode, it's a pretty jaw-dropping run.

http://www.twitch.tv/ludendi/b/329020944 - the run starts at around 16:30, game gets super hard and he starts dominating at around 16:50

So this isn't tool-assisted then, he's actually playing it?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Or the Forest of Illusion level where you can bounce on three caterpillars indefinitely and it breaks the scoring.

Or any level where you can get a bunch of lives in a matter of seconds, exit out, and repeat. (Arino never did seem to learn that he could just go back a level for a quick power up.)

They never told him about top secret area :(

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

redmercer posted:

I don't know about the store, but the title you're thinking of is Wakusei Aton Gaiden for the Famicom Disk System. I do recommend you play it, if only for the odd experience of playing a decent shooter made by a government agency.

What about

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

redmercer posted:

That's not quite up to my standards of decency.

Did you play it? It had a metacritic of 83 an won a bunch of editor's choice awards

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
May I say that the JOY BALL looks like just the worst peripheral ever

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FredMSloniker posted:

Is it just me, or has he not aged well? I mean, here he kind of looks like a Japanese Wil Wheaton, but now...

EDIT: and it's not just the glasses:

That looks like a fundamentally different person to me. I can't believe that's the same face. I sort of think you are mistaken somehow but I believe you!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

That looks like a fundamentally different person to me. I can't believe that's the same face. I sort of think you are mistaken somehow but I believe you!

VINDICATED

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

redmercer posted:

Comedy's just a little bit more vicious over there. I like Watanabe, she's like the Jo Brand of Japan

MY HUSBAND

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FireCar posted:

I heard you can easily make yourself understood to a Japanese person by saying the English word with a u on the end, saying it slowly, and saying it really loud. For example:

"Do you have any syrup for these pancakes? Syrup. SYRUP. SYRUP-U!"

It works for Spanish, too. Just add o instead of u (you're welcome-o).

Unless the word ends in an alveolar stop ("t" or "d") in which case the ending vowel is "o"

I would assume that words that end in "n" would just stay ending in "n" since that's an allowable syllable-final consonant in Japanese, so it really weirds me out that sometimes it doesn't?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dairy Queen has some great milkshakes for a fast food place

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha that's great

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I are both voting for Parappa!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is he a gamer?

He'll probably at least know not to cut back on road funding

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

vgperson posted:

Arino, you cappin' awful.

Gonna say I laughed at this even if no one else did

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

Now it's on to hoping the same for the LP.

My son picked up Kirby's Return to Dream Land at the library the other week and proceeded to tell the kids' librarian, "I met a man in Japan named Arino, and I'm going to beat this game over the weekend like he does." So far this has gone about as well as when Arino exclaims, "Looks like I'll be going home early tonight!"

You need to tell him that games should be played one hour a day!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I didn't like how obviously staged Silent Library is compared to the other segments. Like, I guess their actual reactions are real but part of the laughs are supposed to come from the actual people around them like the librarians and studying kids who are obviously actors.

I still do like downtown a lot though and enjoy all their other segments.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I thought game programmer takeshi was going to be about a kid who laughs evilly while programming games where the user has to wait without pressing a button for an hour to advance.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do Japanese people not strike through their 7s?

I thought everybody but Americans did that, or is that just a Euro thing

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mister Chief posted:

Edgar Wright isn't Scottish!

I think he just said that because of "Scott" ahaha

That's great

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I really would like a poster of that of it's possible for zarigani or Fuji or whoever to sell them

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

I'm not sure that's the best solution. Apparently it makes the text come out all funny.

I enjoyed your joke

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I loved Parappa. I never played it through so I didn't know funny the game itself was.

I think one of my least favorite episodes recently was Layla. It was just kinda him stumbling through these identical levels, without any memorable moments really. My wife and I both fell asleep watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
He should tell them to wash their face and come back