Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
That's an incredibly thorough couple of OPs. GJ!

I think Sasano's tendency to leave the controller drenched in sweat should be mentioned since it comes up so often in the show.

Jetpack Postman posted:

God, it's been a long while since I reared my ugly head 'round these parts. I've been on a Skyrim binge for so long it was difficult to make enough mental real estate for anything else. I even missed when you guys posted the episode I requested, hahahaha (I already managed to watch it. It came out great!).

I want to play Skyrim so bad, but I have way too much work to do before my vacation so I purposely haven't bought it yet. I know I'll get sucked into it and I can't afford to. I should be able to start in January and then you won't see me for two months. I only hope I can make my character as freakish looking as my Oblivion character.

joek0 posted:

To ZariGani:
Would you translate the Wizman section of the mentioned wiki for me. The only section I really need translated is the section for the gold magical rods and the section on teleporting forward and backward in the levels. Google translate is terrible on this page.

GCCX DS game Wiki:
http://www29.atwiki.jp/ds_gamecenter_cx/pages/1.html

Okay, but my translation will be iffy in some parts because I haven't played too much of Wiz-Man, therefore I don't have a firm grasp on the context.

Floor Skip
- Take the crystals that sometimes light up, 4 in row, to warp to the next floor
- If you die after warping, you'll be returned to the previous floor
- You can do this on the final floor (32) but you'll be returned to the previous floor, even after defeating the final boss

Magical Rod:
- 3 rods can be obtained per stage
- Its attribute is light, and it can defeat enemies of any attribute
* However, white enemies (white wisp, white dragon, white knight [skeleton], white wizard) will require more than one hit
- Upon picking one up, the rods of fire and ice will disappear
- Even if you fulfill the next challenge while the magical rod is dropped, you can't get it (?)
- If you make a mistake while your magical rod is out, you must do the same challenge repeatedly (some floors, like 5 and 13, will not enable you to repeat the challenge so be careful)
- When you clear a stage, the number of magical rods you obtained will be counted toward your title
* Even if you lose one due to a mistake or magic attack, it will count
* When you Continue, the number of rods you obtained will be shown in the ending

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

joek0 posted:

Thanks! I was actually looking for locations of all 3 gold rods on some of the 32 levels. If you get a chance to do it, I would be gratful. I will also credit you in my FAQ.

I need the rod locations for levels 9-20, 23-28, 30, and 32.

This got really long so I uploaded my translation here: http://www.text-upload.com/read.php?id=211424&c=1316243

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Corridor posted:

I think he's doing it on purpose at this point. Comedy > winning.

Honestly, I think he'd rather look cool and put an end to a 13-hour long challenge with a swift victory, rather than lose purposely and have to do it all over again and burden the tired crew members who need to catch the last train home for the sake of comedy. Let's not forget, fatigue takes a toll on his mind by the time he reaches the final boss fight -- not to mention there were more than a few times when he patiently waited to see if he was finished before letting go of the controller to celebrate.

But let's not let this turn into a giant debate over what is "real" and what is "put on" again...

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 7, 2011

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

rdbbb posted:

I'd also like to repost the news of the fifth GCCX book that's coming out 12/15 and will have another blowout of the USA trip.

The show is sending me a copy of this book because my fanart was used in it. (This isn't what Producer Kan contacted me about a month ago; I just found this out this morning.) How nice of them! Naturally I'm looking forward to Abe's comic the most.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

With 53 Stations back on topic again, I've uploaded this absolutely amazing orchestrated medley of 53 Stations songs done by some dedicated wizard on Nico Nico Douga. It has every single song from the game in there. No singing, unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zTd0sM0EsA

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I bought Ikki the other day. Curse that game, too. I should translate the special DVD bonus challenge of Ikki soon.

Its BGM is also irritatingly catchy.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Ikki stands out in GCCX history for one reason, it was so hard that not even the ADs could beat it.

Maybe the producers KNEW the game has no ending and subjected Arino and the ADs to it...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Kiranamos posted:

Since I never played that game, the first thing that I'm reminded of is that Arino sang a song to that tune. Which episode was that again?

Clock Tower.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Sweeeet. About two months ago, one of my friends mailed the show a copy of that game with a letter urging them to feature it in a challenge (which she got me to translate). Did it work? Most likely a coincidence (ETA: though I'm still eager to see if the episode makes any mention of a package from the US...), but either way she'll be happy about this. I will gladly move it up the subbing priority list.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 10, 2011

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: Nevermind, I would have remembered these awful "point" puns.

There's more where that came from!

Translating puns is tough work sometimes because it makes you scrape the bottom of your brain barrel for some of the lamest jokes you could possibly think of. I actually had to get some extra help in thinking up the puns in this two-parter.

With that, a small disclaimer in advance: 4chan/Internet slang comes up in my translations only when the show uses 2chan/Internet slang. I would never use them otherwise.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 13, 2011

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

"Why yes, I'd love to listen to the Quest of Ki BGM some more!" If this is you, then good news -- it's included in this lovely piano medley of music from games featured on Game Center CX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ytR5gb6XJg

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Im uploading a new copy, which should take about an hour. Dont wear out that F5 of yours :ohdear:

I found some mistakes in the video, so Random Stranger took it down to fix them which is why the link was broken. There will be a new version of the file soon. I don't know if Gutcruncher has only the old version, but if he does, tell him there's no rush.

jyrque posted:

Speaking of medleys, here's a up-beat medley of 53 Stations of Tokaido. Not sure if it was posted in the last thread.

Yep, I uploaded that and linked to it in page 4 of this thread. But if you ask me, it deserves to be linked in every page.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 13, 2011

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

Do we need to mark snack spoilers?

It was a big cheese-filled meatball! Who doesn't like cheeseburgers? I don't know what the bone was made of, but I presume something edible.

Nah, it's just regular old beef bone. Here's some photos of it. I think it looks pretty good and I'd definitely try one, though I'd probably get sick of it after the first couple of bites. The establishment it came from looks pretty neat too.

Lock posted:

Just a heads-up, I think the 8-6-0 thing in the first part is supposed to be 8-9-0, at around the 16:30 mark, yeah?

Dang, thanks for the HU.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 15, 2011

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

I just had to stop the video to express my love of how Arino looks when he flubs the first bonus stage.

Someone needs to make that into a gif.

Gutcruncher posted:

Horrible writing skills and lack of creativity, making it impossible for them to accurately describe how a game actually plays. Same reason every Yakuza game is reviewed as some sort of GTA clone eventhough the only thing they have in common is gangsters.

The Yakuza games are so fun. I wish I had the time to be playing them (and Skyrim) right now. Instead I've been playing Wagan Land in short spurts. And that's why the Wagan Land episode will be the first one I translate for the year 2012.

Other episodes in my near-future queue: Masked Ninja Hanamaru, Kid Dracula (those two combined with Wagan Land will form the Deceivingly Harmless-Looking Trilogy) Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, JJ and Jeff, Takeshi's Castle (featuring the Family Fun Fitness!), The Licensed Game Fest (a.k.a. The Korea Trip aftermath). Also, the 2-hour long live Takeshi's Challenge challenge (apologies in advance to whoever has to time it).

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 15, 2011

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

Oh God, I want it too. :(

Does anyone have a good picture of it? I need to show people that cartoon meat is totally real and contains cheese.

Here's some photos of it and photos of the restaurant.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Arino has to be killing himself on purpose. It's like the Homer Simpson "Jebus" line. In hindsight, kinda funny. But no one can be that stupid.

Speaking as someone who sucks at platformers and especially Mario games... you'd be surprised. :smith:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

fromagex posted:

I concur. My roommate is absolutely atrocious at Mario games.

Yeah everyone keeps saying Super Mario World is easy, but I don't get it. One of the biggest appeals of this show to me is how much I can relate to Arino's experience with these games, asides from his tenacity. I see some people think he's dying on purpose but his efforts look completely genuine to me.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Part of the problem, for me, is that for example, I'm watching him fight Bowser (Koopa). Through painful lurching and contortions, he's made it to the boss' third form. How can he be unable to time the cadence of his bouncing attack?

Fatigue? That can be a huge factor and hard to gauge when hours of footage is cut down to less than an hour (or less than two hours int his case). Also, when he enters a boss fight like that, he probably ends up cracking under the pressure and screwing up the most basic things. It happens. Again, as someone who's just as bad at games as he is, it's completely understandable to me. I studied music for years and played drums too but when it comes to platformers like the Mario series I mess up my timing quite often. (I'm good at rhythm games, however. I was obsessed with DDR for a while.)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 19, 2011

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Just came back from a week in Vegas, where I bought this off a street vendor :3:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

My package from the Gascoin (GCCX's production company) came!

They sent me GCCX Volume 5 and, as an added bonus, the official GCCX notebook and pen.

Here's my fanart in the opener of the lengthy GCCX in USA article. They were even kind enough to properly credit me as the illustrator.

I haven't read it yet, but it's basically behind-the-scenes stories about the trip accompanied by several screenshots from the episode.

Ray's in it too, but he's getting sucked into the book crease :( At least he's getting sucked in with Arino.

Some of Arino's personal shots.

Inoko MAX's signed T-shirt! (click for larger version) Can you find your signature?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I honestly have no idea if they know anything about the fan translations. They just sent me these because they used my art in the book.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

rdbbb posted:

If you were around the old thread when I shared a preview from a Sunsoft cover album that was coming out, well, it came out, and I got it, and the Tokaido song that was the highlight.

I'm gonna err on the side of :filez: for the track right now, buuut I'll share the lyrics sheet:

I want this in my possession right now.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

I'd been trying to find it for a while so I figured I'd share it...

Just letting you know the second part of the OP has a list of songs used in the show.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Konsek posted:

I realised there's a song it's missing. In season one, the intro for Arino's Challenge uses the first few seconds of Rock You Like A Hurricane by the Scorpions, taken from their orchestral album Moment Of Glory.

Thanks for the find. I guess Random Stranger's in charge of making any additions to that list now.

By the way, I'm going to start translating again soon. Maybe after this weekend. It's always hard going back to my regular routine after the holidays.

MTXperience posted:

Did the Lincoln episode with Yoiko on it ever get subbed? I thought this was being worked on at some point, not sure if I just missed it or not.

Nipponophile is still working on timing/editing it, as far as I know.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have a spoilery question:

In the punch-out episode, when they are asking for ideas for episodes to do live, they mention that Arino didn't beat Quest of Ki on christmas and ask if he wants to try it again. I thought the whole point of the Bonk's Adventure recap was that he DID beat it on Christmas eve?

That was a mistranslation. What Kibe actually said was "For the live Christmas broadcast, you played 'Quest of Ki,' a game you couldn't beat during [a regular] challenge. If we followed that rule again, there are lots of games you haven't beaten yet."

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I thought that they were gone forever but guess who just released episode 11 after more than two years?

Guess I need to update the OP.

Oh wow, I was planning on doing episodes 11 and 12 very soon and then maybe some other really old episodes but I guess I don't have to anymore? 12 (Takeshi's Castle a.k.a. Most Extreme Elimination) is one I've been wanting to do for a while; wonder if they're going to do it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

What does zarigani mean if anything?

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't know if our own has a different use(plus my Japanese is so, so poor) but I do know that the comedy duo uses the word, which means crayfish.

You are correct. I used to have an affinity towards lobsters. There's no single Japanese word for lobster (asides from the obvious "robusutaa") so I went with the closest equivalent, the zarigani, which is like a tiny lobster that live in rivers exclusively in Japan. Lobsters in Japan are also referred to as American Zarigani, which is what the comedy duo named themselves after.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Was looking through the Game Center CX V book again. Anyone recognize this spot?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Late delivery but

taopriest posted:

Kacho + Polysics = winning

I like Polysics too. I went to one of the concerts a few years ago. Best $20 I ever spent.

Anyway thanks, your comment inspired me to draw some bizarre fanart.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

cronox2 posted:

http://kotaku.com/people/OtakuMan24/

:wtc:

Look, there's supporting a show, and then there's sounding like a complete lunatic.

Yeah I'm a little frightened of that guy...

I'm actually disappointed the show didn't take off enough on Kotaku (I think the biggest problem was that it was on a blog site instead of a video site) -- it was the most official way to show support for the show -- but at the same time, I can't help but be excited by the opportunity to work on some of my favourite episodes. I began translating again today (Wagan Land!) and Nagoyan just finished another so look forward to more SAGCCX coming up :toot:

I'm still wondering if it's okay for me to do episode 12 or if TV-Nihon is getting on that.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Hokuto posted:

Kotaku did absolutely no advertising for the event when they were in the most prime position to do so.

I completely forgot about that. And then the article about the event was just... :psyduck: They didn't even send a Kotaku representative there!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I'm all right with Kotaku and read it casually. The Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore article is the only thing from there that's really bothered me, especially the part about the comedy. Sure, like any country, there are a lot of things wrong with Japan and I'd never want to live there myself, but that article is full of straight-up ignorance and intolerance. Why was this rant published there in the first place...?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 14, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

jyrque posted:

2:15. What the hell. :stare: Anyone want to translate what the hint right after this happens is?

"Hammer-gong the palm trees and lamp posts"

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Just watched the subbed JJ & Jeff/Kato-chan Ken-chan episode. As usual the subs were adequate, but I still caught a lot of mistranslations where it was clear they didn't comprehend or misheard what was was said. The most amusing mistake was around 44:30 when the producer says a staff needs to hurry (to catch the last train) because he lives in Mount Takao, but TV-Nihon mistook the "san" (mountain) in Takaosan as the honorific "san" (Mr.), and they translated it as "Takao-san needs to go home!" Originally, Arino is surprised to hear a staff member lives so far away, but in the subbed version he's like "Takao-san?!" as though he's surprised to hear Mr. Takao needs to go home.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Can someone explain what this insult actually means? It's popped up a few times and I'm not 100% sure.

A more accurate literal translation would be "wash your face and come back again." It's a common Japanese idiom. "Wash your face" doesn't imply your face is dirty and needs cleaning -- it implies you need to splash cold water on your face to wake yourself up/clarify your thinking because you sound like an idiot or you're acting like an idiot/performing poorly.

If I were subbing the Angelique Trois episode (and oh I would love to because I love that game) I would probably translate it as something like "Get your act together first before you try that again" but phrased better. Because Sei-Lan wasn't dismissing her as a person when she confessed her love; he was just going "oh haha, a joke, nice try but you aren't fooling me."

If you watched the JJ & Jeff/Kato-chan Ken-chan episode, you probably caught the same phrase being used in an arcade trip game after Arino got a game over. In that context, I would translate it as "Try clearing your head before you try again."

ETA: Some clarifications after re-watching the exchange in question.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 16, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

I went back to Kotaku to see if the articles about Arino coming to America were really as bad as I remember. Yes. They were.

http://kotaku.com/5837877/meet-the-retro-game-master

That's the only warning they gave anyone about the vist, 2 days ahead of time. In fact the bottom of the article credits another website for the news. This is the show Kotaku spent money to get an exclusive license to.

http://kotaku.com/5839212/meeting-the-kacho/gallery/1?tag=retrogamemaster

And that's the article about it after it happened. Several days later and basically just copy/pasting segments from peoples emails who actually gave enough of a poo poo to actually attend the event.

They literally gave no shits about their TV show acquisition.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

If Game Center CX is Top Gear, who is Game Center CX's Stig?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

GidgetNomates posted:

I'd go with Abe, since hides behind a maskcamera most of the time.

I was thinking Abe too, what with his mysterious silent presence, affinity toward cars and hidden talents.

NeilPerry posted:

一機 is a term that is thrown around enough in the series to warrant some confusion but it seems that the translator was just bored of his job and just wanted to get it over with. On the other hand, did Kotaku use caption notes to explain jokes and stuff? It could just be he didn't want to bother translating a reference he couldn't explain.

The title itself was put up in quotation marks as an in-show subtitle. Here's a screenshot. A quick Google search would reveal to anyone what the reference is.

They don't use notes, but even if they wanted to gloss over the reference, like Plasquatch said "isn't he one of the lives" doesn't make any sense. Kotaku also once translated ikki as "one machine" in Ninja Gaiden, which is weird since they translated it correctly in all other instances as far as I remember.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It also helps that the Japanese retro market isn't as rabid as America.

Yep...

(Arino's remark upon seeing that was "Whoa, that's expensive!")

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 16, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

rdbbb posted:

But is Stig a triple threat (cameraman/cook/mangaka)?

No, but some say that he lives in a tree and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals.

Just saw the new staff bio on the OP by the way. Good work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Nickoten posted:

I just hope they respect the work other people have done and skip over episodes that have already been subbed. It'd be really stupid if they didn't, but I keep feeling like that's what they're going to do.

For the record if TV-Nihon wants to sub an episode SAGCCX already subbed, I have no problems with that. And I hope they don't have any problems with us subbing an episode they've already subbed too, should that ever happen. Nothing wrong with two different groups subbing the same thing, especially when the subbing styles are different. Then the viewers have more of a choice; if people prefer TV-Nihon's subs they can watch theirs, and vice versa.

But I agree that in the case of this show, it's best to avoid subbing something that's already been subbed when there are so many other episodes that need subbing, which is exactly the reason why we haven't had any overlap with TV-Nihon yet.

Xik posted:

Is it common for Japanese TV Shows to be plastered with text like GCCX does? I don't know why I'm only really noticing it now (after about 40 episodes watched), but the show seems put quite a lot of what is said in text on the screen.

Is this unique to GCCX or a common occurrence for Japanese TV? And why?

It's interesting that you bring this up because GCCX actually has very few subs compared to many other Japanese entertainment shows. But then again, it's not a variety show.

My best guess is this: Japanese variety shows often have many people on stage at a time (like a dozen) and are unscripted for the most part. Talking in a fast-paced manner and/or in a Kansai dialect is a common Japanese comedy style. So you have a lot of comedians fast-talking over each other. It's easy to miss the funnier lines, so maybe that's why they began subtitling them -- to bring attention to the more notable lines and jokes. Then they realized hey, it actually makes things funnier at times, especially when the text comes with emphasis. Eventually it ended up becoming an entertainment industry standard, so even slower-paced comedy shows like GCCX gets the sub treatment now.