Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh god, they're doing Dynamite Headdy? All my dreams have come true!

...and now, of course, the horrible waiting since I only speak english. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nahxela posted:

Yeah, I have had a similar experience when recommending the series to a friend. They don't express too large an interest if it's some random game they heard about, especially if the game's name is in Japanese and completely unrecognizable to them. I usually just suggest a game people have had common experience with, like the Mario, Metroid and Megaman games. A game they've played is the hook, and the content of the episode will keep (especially Tamage) them hooked~

I'm kind of embarassed to ask this, but what's Tamage anyway?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A few questions:

- Assuming I was going to write fanmail to Arino, should I bother finding someone to translate it into Japanese or should I just send it in English and hope for someone to be able to read it?

- On that note, what's the address for GCCX?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Having it translated into Japanese would be more convenient for Arino but there are people at the show who know English (Kan definitely, Kibe probably, about half of the AD's).

Excellent! Good to know I can slash at least one step from this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Has anyone claimed the Dynamite Headdy episodes for translation yet? I've been on the edge of my seat ever since that episode was announced.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Wait, are you sure? She's still listed as an employee of the Gascoin Company, talks about location scouting and she recently says in her Twitter she now works on a TV show called OMOJAPAN. I don't see any mention of a husband either.
Incidentally, Emoto sells jewelry these days.

"Omo"? Something to do with toys, then? :raise:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

nene. posted:

YOUR TRANSLATING THE GAME!!!

Translating a game? What're you on about?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

So of the games that Arino's challenged, which ones do you think are (a) pretty hard to complete (so not, say, Kirby's Adventure or Mario 64) and (b) pretty fun to play nonetheless?

Speaking from personal experience, Street Fighter 2010.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't see why a character named Blackie would be objectionable to western audiences, but name changes are subjective either way. It's just a choice and either way could work.

It'd be like having a guy named Kraut in your game. It kind of has racist connotations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

No it's not, at all. It's a real surname or first name. Usually for light-skinned dudes. Like the one in the game. :argh:

You really don't see why a company would want to avoid naming a character after a term used to deride black people. Really.

I give up.

E: Unless you're talking about the fact that the subs call him Foreman Spike. I can understand how that's a bit jarring.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GidgetNomates posted:

because "blackie" is an actual slur? like, i'm not just assuming it based on the way it sounds, it's an actual slur that's been actually used against black people

Yeah, this. Also, who the gently caress is named Blackie, Bocc Kob?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

Toonami's been brought back and airs on Adult Swim every Saturday. They even got Steve Blum back to voice Tom.

Actually, there's this website by the name of Toonami Aftermath. They seem to stream 24 hours, 7 days a week, with a smattering of anime and just miscellaneous awesome shows that were on CN at one point or another, like Freakazoid, Justice League, and Megas XLR.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What are some episodes with lots of AD participation? Stuff like the mapping for Kid Icarus, the lunch contest in Densha de Go, and the pizza for Pac-Man 2? Hell, even episodes with heavy co-op like Contra would be nice.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Tracked down an unopened copy of Retro Game Challenge today. Can't wait to shove it in Arino's face.:smug:

I thought it was already made pretty clear that you're not just waltzing into the Gascoin offices.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's a few reasons I can come up with against dubbing.

April Fool's, sir.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You guys all know it's Kotaku, right?

With a u.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jolopy posted:

Ashens answers this with a Quickest game overs video.

Er, he means Arino's fastest game over. You realize what thread you're in, right?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You need to tell Gascoin about this. They'll love it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zari-gani posted:

What about deliberately inserting them to sound cool?

Bioware, there's no way a universal translator can't handle those.

Holy gently caress is that supposed to be a face. :stare:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

I can't figure out what they mean by "For out the difficult challenge." I'm an English major! I should be able to translate bad grammar, but this! This is two prepositions right next to each other! That's just grammatical madness!

Doesn't he "out" the next challenge at the end of each episode with a hint?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Comix Zone is one of those games that completely bypassed me as a kid since I never owned a Sega console; there's really nothing more 80s/90s than a game with a single life. Also with regard to the ending: I loved it. I am a sucker for games with "bad endings" and seeing the girl drowned in the back seems like relatively harsh stuff for a game, even back then.

Not only drowned, but also burned alive with the fuel as the rockets launch and destroy the comic book world.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm guessing on Wings of Madoola that the phone calls didn't make it to air and only appear on the DVD cut? Because if that's true, it's a drat shame because that's the funniest moment in the episode by far.

I'm pretty sure there was a slew of side features from the DVD episodes translated recently.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How big of a production run are we looking at for the DVD? I might not be able to afford it in the near future, and I just don't know if it's going to go down in price or get rare and expensive.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hey, I remember those things!. For it to have a pink version...it must've done better in Japan than here, right?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zari-gani posted:

It's white, lit by a red light. But yes, it was hugely popular in Japan.

Meanwhile, I was the ONLY PERSON EVER to have one in America. :negative:

Do not even ask posted:

Loved the poo poo out of it when I was a kid, though.

Oh, totally. It was Monster Rancher before Monster Rancher!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

joek0 posted:

Have there been any clues for the 150th episode yet. 50 was Korea. 100 was Wrecking Crew.

I don't really see much of a pattern there :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FireCar posted:

And ever since I heard Ki-beee~ sung to the Sega startup sound, I haven't been able to unhear it. A delight and a treat.

What episode was this? :3:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

farfromsleep posted:

Speaking of old c64/amiga games that got away with murder thanks to some slick presentation, I really wish they'd ported Rick Dangerous to consoles for Arino to have a go at. That series was custom-designed to gently caress you over at every turn, it's pretty much a deathtrap memory test from the opening screen on. Would've made for a great episode.

You've got weird ideas about entertainment.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Magikoopa189 posted:

...And how do you access the non-torrent files? All of the episode links on the first page start a torrent download.

You do it by getting with the times, downloading Bittorrent and torrenting those episodes. :c00lbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

For all it's worth, Parappa the Rapper 2 is way better in terms of its writing, and much cheaper, too.

There's also an anime of it which happens to be pretty hilarious.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Have there been any good Shiren-likes released lately? I remember there was The Legend of the Unemployed Ninja but that was a good 5 or 6 years ago.

Depending on your definition of "lately", there's a Chocobo's Dungeon that's pretty good.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

If you have a PSP I recommend Zettai Hero Project. It's super fun and really underrated.

It's super short and really short, but it's worth it just for the story.

EDIT: If the trailer grabs you, absolutely buy this game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Yeah totally. Parappa has pretty strict timing by modern rhythm game standards, but it gives you a lot of leeway to essentially freestyle as long as you're on rhythm. Cool mode isn't even unlocked until you beat the game, and even then you have to completely destroy your teacher to get into it.

See, I vastly prefer Parappa 2 because it's more lenient, and in a lot of ways, more amazing.

Basically y'all should buy the sequel to this game right straight now. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

:D Holy poo poo. I need this game, now. But I can't even afford the $20 or so that it's probably going for.

Hmmm...

I know!

I gotta buy used!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Youre gonna be crushed to find out I have most of the episodes completed and ready to upload on my hard drive, but am just waiting for someone to say the magic word which is known only to me.

Oh... sorry.

...antiquing?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Midboss posted:

I love me some Dig Dug. The second one is different and weird, which the internet tells me means it's bad, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks as always!

Dig Dug II was the first one I played. When I tried the original, it was pretty disappointing!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Next episode's hint: a green protagonist.

This time I'm pretty danged sure it's the leaked challenge! If so, I think you guys will be happy.

...Whirlo? :raise:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Muffinlord posted:

It's gonna be Boogerman.

I really want to hear Arino exclaiming "Boogah~" now in imitation of the game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry, but Arino's face is clearly going to be on YOSHI. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Yeaaah I won't be doing that just yet. But one of them is Yoshi's Island to continue our trend of releasing high-demand challenges right away! The other two are popular titles too.

If Dynamite Headdy isn't one of these, I will shed a single tear.