Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Looking forward to more uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tyma posted:

There's also the fact that the game was never released in Japan (all of it's popularity stems from youtube videos of the emulated game), and in the US, it was an unlicensed cartridge.

GCCX obviously have a pretty nice relationship with Nintendo, and I have no clue what kind of reaction they'd get, if they showcased an unlicensed game. I think they showed a ROM-hacked version of Gradius once, and had to blur out the entire screen while Arino was playing it?

When he went to Korea he got an unlicensed game and a couple of bootlegs. They showed those on the screen.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Reich Joyce posted:

It would appear some sadist has released an English translation of Takeshi's Challenge.

Might want to check the previous page.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Xik posted:

Those cases are cool. You create the labels covers yourself? It's hard to get a sense of scale when there is nothing else in the picture but they look like they are VHS cases?

They certainly don't look like the original cardboard boxes.

Little different than what he's got, but Universal Video Game Cases and The Cover Project makes for an enjoyable experience.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Zeether posted:

That sample clip is way better than the dubbed Kotak episodes, definitely. The announcer sounds better, translation's drat good...but what did they do to the King?

It's the prince, they change it up every once in a while. There's the King, Queen, Prince, Evil King and Evil Queen. Oh the the Ghost Samurai, there's probably another one.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nickoten posted:

Speaking of retro game collecting, I bought Chrono Trigger sealed over Winter break for 2,000 yen, around 26 USD I believe. This weekend I went into a recently opened Book Off and found it, in a box in pretty good condition for 105 yen, along with Shin Megami Tensei 1 for the same price. I bought both, so now I've got two copies of the drat game. They also had Ghosts and Gobins for 500 yen, a full thousand less than most other places selling it.

Let this be a lesson: Always hunt for retro games in stores not dedicated to them first. And if there's another retro game store somewhat close to a Super Potato, for the love of god check the other one first! I learned my lesson on that one, thankfully.

It also helps that the Japanese retro market isn't as rabid as America.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Well, didn't expect this:

http://kotaku.com/5877067/where-can-you-watch-more-retro-game-master/gallery/1

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

This should be good!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Just started it, Aquabats song (I'm A Winner) opening!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bocc Kob posted:

You could upload it to YouTube or something and download it off there. The quality gets mangled, but the file ends up half the size. :v:

Don't do this.

I will gladly use torrents anyday.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

:lol:

The Goddess wordplay was pretty great.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Takeshi's Castle has my new favorite Tamage using the Devilman OP during its intro.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Anyone seeing any activity on the torrent? I'm getting nothing and depositfiles is loving me on the direct download version of the video (13 hours, really?)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Faceguy posted:

It's going pretty slow, but that's to be expected. I'm sure by tomorrow it will be going at lightning speed.

Farther than me. I'm not even getting tracker info. DDL update: 2 days til completion! :f5:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

As the seeder I can see 38 people out there off of me so I know that it's working but it is going to be slow going until there's a few more full seeds out there.

It is using a UDP tracker rather than HTTP but as far as I know that shouldn't be a problem...

No clue, I have no tracker info, no peer listing. It's like the torrent doesn't exist. Even if slow I should be getting bits and pieces from other people.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

makere posted:

What client are you using? Are you behind a firewall? Do you have proper ports open? Should work over DHT even if you can't connect the tracker for any reason.

uTorrent 3.0 Build 26473
uPnP is on letting me through my home LAN, I use this client for other torrents.
DHT is not turned on as it screws up things for me on private trackers.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

makere posted:

Can you see the torrent having the tracker at all? Try adding the tracker manually udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80, or maybe opening that magnet link I fixed. Private torrents should have a flag that disables DHT per torrent, so enabling DHT should be safe.

You could always just install another client to download the file using DHT, if everything else fails.

Ran a linux version of utorrent on my NAS and that's working. I have no idea what's different. DHT is disabled on that as well.

Edit: Well, finished and seeding. So there's that. Whatever.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 5, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ha, my GCCX folder is 35gb of one man playing a lot of video games.

:smug:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Can anyone source me the song at the beginning of Abe's cooking bit in the condensed special? I've heard it before on the 3 minute cooking show that I see on the Japanese channel here in Southern California (18.2 on OTA).

Edit: For clarity, this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WqQ_AgJo1s&feature=related

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 12, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Put me in for Densha de Go!. Theme episodes are always fun.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hello new text message notification.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

So when can I buy my 15 copies?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

zari-gani posted:

I ordered these four days ago from Rakuten and they arrived already. What sorcery is this?

The magic of EMS. It's great most of the time, but pricey as hell if you're getting stuff piecemeal. I try to get moderately sized orders to offset the shipping costs. But yeah, they are fast, even faster if you live in California as I do.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MaskedTai posted:

Have any of you guys thought about doing a GCCX styled show/event/thing of your own?

I'm asking because a group of friends of mine all really love GCCX (and the work that you amazing people in this thread do), and one of them has decided he's going to do his own GCCX for all of us every Friday night. He'll play an NES game we vote on and play for 6 hours, and if he can't beat it we decide if he fails or can continue next week. His first game will be Mike Tyson's Punch Out this week, and we're planning on doing stuff like having an AD for the episode who can play in place of him if he gets stuck, as the ADs on GameCenter do, by playing the save state. We all meet up and do stuff on Livestream and can't meet in person, so it works pretty well to be able to send a save file and just switch streamers.

We're all pretty excited, and he's even planning on doing a Tamage segment at a local mall arcade eventually, and other sorts of specials he can do in a reasonable amount of time, considering we don't have all the time in the world to do these sorts of things.

So, if any of you guys have done this sort of thing before, how did it go? We have high hopes, but there's always the chance he could get burnt out or it's just not interesting.

Funny story, I own gooncentercx.com/net.

Not really a funny story. There is nothing there. I had an idea, but life happened.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Son Ryo posted:

It's 'zako', not 'zaku'. Zakus are the guys from Gundam. Come on, if you're gonna make a joke about it then at least get it right.

Well, whatever company Kotaku used for their episodes, that's what they put in. So blame them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Son Ryo posted:

In the Ninja Gaiden episode? That was definitely 'zako'.

I don't even remember. I don't even want to remember. Let's just call it a lovely translation and move on.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

What? I must be missing something, are you from like the EU or something 'cause that's just a normal "holding up three fingers" in the west US.

Must be not from the UK at least.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm 99% sure he just means how Arino is really stretching his fingers apart.

Doesn't look that stretched, looks like how I usually do that gesture...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mayor McCheese posted:

I love you guys for putting these on torrents; the episodes download in less than a few minutes. And with that said I'm pretty sure I'm now scratching the bottom of the barrel in ways of praising the SA team. Although I'm sure I can come up with a few more if I ever revisit those Kotaku episodes.

Well, those episodes will be in the upcoming US DVD release that zari-gani is doing translations for. So there you go!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stoat posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes we get more visual novels (or sound novels or whatever they're calling them) in the future because Sickle Weasel was totally awesome.

I only regret that Arino never once claimed to be the killer himself. I wanted to see what happened real bad :(

He wouldn't get any points with Mari obviously if he did that...

Also, I liked this episode because since the challenge was done at night, they also did the tamage at night too!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

After watching Friendly Downtown with Yoiko, it reminded how much of a blast Downtown's Silent Library bits were. Look into those if you want more of that stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, what? They've played every single Famicom game? Or do you mean something else?

The vignettes they show bits of games after a child says the year they were released.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

A welcome surprise today, thanks SA-GCCX duders.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

jyrque posted:

That's because his hobbies don't include icky stuff like video games or anime. :downs:

Erm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNH5EUw7gxk&t=2m37s

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

The real question is did they make him play pinball for their amusement?

I'm not up on my Japanese comedians like many of you in the thread are, so who can tell me who these gentlemen are:

There's a gaming related reason I'm asking...

I know the 3rd guy in the grey suit has a gimmick where he counts and every multiple of 3 he makes a funny voice and face. That's about it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

zari-gani posted:

(Clarification and comparison of bug graphics versus people graphics in the game)

ETA: (Better screenshot)

I'm 200% sure they're ants -- while Japanese depictions of African tribes aren't exactly PC, they don't make them look like little bogeymen with tiny stick legs and no facial features. The standard racially insensitive depiction is big white lips and grass skirt.

^ One of the endings from Child-Rearing Quiz My Angel, which Arino doesn't get unfortunately.

^ Bibinba, long-forgotten Sanrio characters I remember from when I was a kid. I bet the company wants to sweep them under the rug now.

Even today it still happens. This is from King of Fighters 13:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stanos posted:

Are fat people usually the butt end of jokes on Japanese TV or does GCCX just like ripping on them? I feel bad for Yuko sometimes and it seems they rip on Tami a lot too. Easy targets or what?

It's the culture. It's more in the direction of women though than fat people.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

victrix posted:

Is that outfit he wears something that Japanese employees actually have to wear at any job? Or just something suitably crappy and horrible because that's just how they roll?

I was reflecting that he manages to make even an Asian temple background look completely terrible because that outfit is so drat ugly :v:

You usually see that type of uniform on delivery guys in Japan.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

FireCar posted:

I know that is a band reference but I cannot remember which one. Dead Kennedys maybe? It's been forever since I've even heard that reference, so I'm not really sure.

Yes, it's a reference to the Dead Kennedys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

You guys got a mention in Tiny Cartridge:

http://tinycartridge.com/post/32676131793/on-retro-game-master-and-getting-mad-for-the-right