Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Am I missing something, or aren't there links to the subtitle files for the SA-and-Kotaku episodes on the big episode/file list? Being NotAmerican, I can't see the Kotaku episodes in the first place, so it's ironically much easier to get the raws and throw a sub file on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

VarXX posted:

Kotaku still has the rights so it's considered :filez:

In the previous thread, the subtitle files were up where appropriate, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I totally lost it when the Goddess in the game just completely broke character and started dropping random food advice for dates. Completely nonsensical, but brilliant.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Deceased Crab posted:

I'm really loving the translation work being done here, and the videos are pretty well timed and put together. It's fantastic, and unlike the dub and you don't lose any of the spirit of the show. But I'm not really a fan of the new OP. I kind of wish that you'd put back the chronological list of newly subbed episodes. Although the OP wasn't always up to date, it beats trying to hunt down the new entry in the giant list of all the episodes, or going through every single page of the thread.

A simple solution would just be a 'latest 3 episodes' bit at the top of the OP.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

xamphear posted:

I think we need to pool our funds and set up a bounty to get this episode translated ahead of all the others in the queue.

I second this motion - officially, we can call it the Team SAGCCX Christmas Fund. They deserve something back from the fans!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Corridor posted:

That meat is burned to gently caress.

Still looks quite moist on the inside - perhaps they blowtorched it for that authentic cartoon 'roast over an open fire' look? Wouldn't surprise me.

Edit: I dunno why, but I also really like their cast-iron-in-wood serving dish. Very solid looking and rustic. I'd imagine if the metal part is heated, it stays warm for ages.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 18, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I have no trouble with a lot of really tough games, but for some reason I die in Mario games really often. They're games where it's very easy to make dumb mistakes.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

zari-gani posted:

My package from the Gascoin (GCCX's production company) came!

It is REALLY good to see an official company actually paying some respect to a fan-translators. I'd be surprised if anyone at Kotaku got any gifts, either, haha.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

You state a line from the show, cryptically, post a link to some horrendous noise that I turned off in about .2 seconds

It's one of the songs used in the show, goofus.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, I get that, my point was why is--oh gently caress this
V

He's happy because he found the song that plays at the 'win a signed copy of the game' part of the show, and wanted to share it with us.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've still not seen most of the Kotaku episodes, because licensing laws seem to forget that there are still human beings living outside of America. I do hope to see the SAGCCX subs of the applicable episodes return after Kotaku lose their license.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 14, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Corridor posted:

It's like this guy is angry at Japan for not being perfect. It's very strange to read.

It's Tim Rogers, and he's just on the rebound from 'Japan is the most amazing thing ever and totally perfect' and has only just cottoned on that it's just another country with it's own perks and problems, just like anywhere else in the world.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just downloading the new episode now - it should be an easy win. Flashback is an easy game, just quite intricate. It'll be nice to see Arino take on something more accessible, at the very least.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Megalixir posted:

Megaupload is dead at this point.

You might want to find somewhere else to upload episodes on.

Multiupload covers just about all the major sites.. but I expect the number of file-hosting options available to shrink VERY quickly soon.

gently caress, I had some legal, legit stuff up on there!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Japanese FPS releases are already heavily censored.

To clarify and expand on that a bit, politicians in Japan have been beating the 'Media is corrupting our nation!' drum for quite some time now, and between self-censorship and legal restrictions, you see a lot less gore coming out of Japanese games now compared to even the PS2 era. It's pretty sad.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

We just need a proper, regularly-updated SAGCCX torrent. It needs to be public, too - a lot of non-goons get their fix from here.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It looks like Multiupload is back, and while most of the mirrors it uploaded to are dead now, some are still kicking and can be downloaded from, so don't go throwing out those download links!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Benly posted:

What really got me is her bizarre answer to the "who do you resemble" question. The game itself didn't grab me so much this episode but the tamage, Ring Ring Tactics and Arino/staff interplay were all great.

Yeah - he asked a silly question, and she gave a silly answer. Don't forget that she's a fan of the show. After all, that's why she wrote in, hoping to be part of that particular segment.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

It's likely an ignorant error; they creators may not have known how offensive it really is.

I find it kinda funny/cute that they classify KKK wizards among the ranks of demons, golems, alien invaders and evil gods. They're just so cartoonishly evil that they become cartoons outright.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kikka posted:

I like seeing Arino beat western games. It always makes me smile when the narrator describes games like Prince of Persia or Out of This World with "strange", "weird" or "unique".

To be fair, even among western platformers, those games are pretty unique. Another World especially, which doesn't have so much as a word of dialogue at any point.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

This is part one; the whole thing compressed down to one hour. There is more to come.

I don't expect that you've done the whole thing... but I'd love to see an extended, but still abridged version! Downloading this one for now. Thanks, and keep up the sterling work!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That put a huge dopey grin on my face. Astounding, sterling work as ever, zari-gani, and further evidence (as if it was needed) that GCCX has developed a uniquely close relationship with it's overseas, 'unofficial' fanbase.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I only just now cottoned onto the brilliance of the 'birds and chinese dragons' motif on his throne. I suppose he has conquered those a few times.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Echoing that the stream is great, and big thanks to everyone behind it.

Arino really isn't half bad at this flying malarkey - it's just the landings that catch him out. I understand his pain.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The way things looked, the safest way to play that stage is just making sweeping attack passes over the enemy base while weaving a little, as the AA guns lead you perfectly, otherwise. He always died when he slowed down, but the few times he was just going hell-for-leather over the big gun batteries, he seemed okay.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

zari-gani posted:

This is extremely exciting for me not only because it will be my first real translation job but also because the Kotaku 12 are some of my favourite episodes. Many of them are ones I wanted to translate to begin with.

If it's available at a halfway-reasonable price for Europe (and not region-locked) then I'll gladly buy them. You've done so much great work, and you really deserve every penny you reap from the growth of GCCX in English.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

techknight posted:

Wow. Did anyone in Japan play a computer game after Wizardry? :psyduck:

PC gaming was effectively dead/niche material through the mid 90s right up until the past few years. Now it's starting to make a comeback, and the major japanese studios are starting to pay attention to it again, but as far as I can gather, home computer gaming was mostly (at least in the early 90s) done through more obscure home computing systems like the MSX, which I recall was home to a lot of great Konami releases.

Just keep in mind that there are an enormous number of games from 1990 to the early 2000s that only came out in Japan, and only on consoles. That side of the industry basically took up all the slack that the lack of PC/home computer gaming left.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 1, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm such a shameless dork. When Arino asks 'Is that a Zaku?' I immediately reply (under my breath) 'That's no Zaku, boy. No Zaku!'.

And then he says it.

Sign of a wasted youth, eh?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bocc Kob posted:

What? Seriously? I've never played Ecco the Dolphin. :stare:

That entire series is just plain nuts. Especially the Dreamcast/PS2 game, Defender of The Future. They got David Brin (who had written sci-fi about dolphins before) to script it, and it was time-travel all over the place. Just to top it off, they got Tom Baker - the trippiest of all the Dr Who's - to narrate it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Loved that episode. Having the crew basically go 'Yeah, the second loop is total bullshit. Let's play a Vs tournament and you can call it a win' was pretty telling - the game looked ridiculously hard even on the first time round! Good to see Arino losing his temper a bit, too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

jyrque posted:

I've made a mental note to own this game one day. It's a soccer RPG with kickass cutscenes for special kicks.

There's a full-length Touhou parody game based on it. It's pretty good, actually, and fully fan-translated, if a little tricky to find.

Last time I tried playing it I got stuck trying to win the NetherWorld Cup.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dynamite Headdy is an easy game, but crazy enough to really spark Arino's imagination, I reckon.

Edit: Son of a bitch, the game glitched out on him!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 26, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

iastudent posted:

He glitched again, this time inside a gear and then just started hopping through the air. :psyduck:

I've beaten that game god knows how many times, and never seen anything like these glitches. Arino is truly blessed.

At least they let him use the stage select to get back.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

cronox2 posted:

It's still amazes me that no one ever ripped off Actraiser 1's sim/action combo. There's not even a faux-retro indie game that does it from what I've seen.

Oddly enough, A Valley Without Wind was actually pretty like a procedurally generated Actraiser while it was in development. And then about two months before release, they cut out the entire sim/town-management side of the game to focus entirely on the platforming. That's about where it lost my interest.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Anyone have a decent source for the #139 raw? I've found one potential source, but it says it'll take between 5 and 22 hours to get. Given that my connection futzes on average every 10 hours or so, that's a problem!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

joek0 posted:

gaki no tsukai forums in the op. Not all the older raw links work. Ep#139 is in HQ.

http://www.gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2653

If anyone wants a raw posted on YT, let me know.

That's where I'm trying to download from. I'm lucky if Depositfiles gives me 50kb/s

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

joek0 posted:

Here is a YT video I posted for the raw of episode #139.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrFhp4Vu5k

Ooh, thanks! Much appreciated!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On the subject of translation accuracy, I generally prefer it when original names are used. Why? Because it's usually something very clearly heard in the show itself. It's just silly sometimes, like the Legacy of The Wizard episode, where you've got the subtitles insisting that the game is called one thing, but the actual title of the game is being displayed in full English for all to see.

Just a little note (Dragon Slayer 4, known as 'Legacy of The Wizard' in the US) is all it needs, really. Helps keep the audiovisual match-up stronger.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Why? Now you've suddenly added the need for a ridiculous number of translation notes for no reason.

Eh, I find a single translation note right at the start of an episode to be less mentally jarring than the narrator dramatically saying a name or title fifty times over the course of the episode, and the subtitles clearly saying something entirely different.

Names tend to stick out in spoken language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Liku posted:

Ninja Gaiden? I can't see him even scratching the surface...

In the words of the omnipresent Narrator: Never underestimate that man's tenacity!