Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Day and night length vary depending upon season more and more the further from the equator you go. A lot of green growing food-type things like both certain temperatures and certain amounts of light, so you can easily wind up with far shorter growing seasons. Shorter growing season = less food. Add in reduced area where things like that can grow and you have even less food.

Tip that far enough and you cause problems. That's not the only issue though, you also have shifting weather patterns, more extreme weather events, extended droughts in some areas and floods in others, desertification, rising sea levels and a host of other issues.

Life on earth will adapt, eventually, but we're in for a world of hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Science journalism is almost uniformly horrible. I think because in Science there is a right answer(we may not know it, but there is one), and journalism isn't about presenting a right answer so much as it's about presenting a controversy or establishing a narrative.

So as a result, even if the climate science community is 99% behind something, all the data lines up for that conclusion, etc. the stories tend to be of the "let's ask a republican and a democrat about this" style. Both of the aforementioned talking heads will probably be lawyers who haven't had a science class since their gen ed reqs in undergrad, and are in no way equipped to offer any opinion at all. Which is just recklessly irresponsible.

Add in that the Republican party is 99% full of reactionaries beholden to large corporate interests and the Democrats are about 90% in the same boat and there is just no way to get an informed public out the other end of that. And that's not even getting into the horrid intersection of religion and ideology and science, or the reliance of the media on ad revenue from those same interests.

• Locked thread