Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
Does anyone have some information on the accuracy of the various IPCC assessment report predictions? I've been discussing global warming with two co-workers for a while now. They're at fairly different ends of the spectrum regarding global warming - one is taking a really stubborn stance ("we don't know what's happening and there's no way to know what's happening. Also Climategate.") while the other accepts the scientific literature behind it but is skeptical of the ability of models to predict the impact of greenhouse gasses. When I was talking to the latter, we realized neither of us actually had any data to back up our assertions - models can be accurate vs. models are rarely accurate - so we just called it a truce until we could generate some evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

eh4 posted:

So, blame China? :allears:

"Canada only emits 1% of emissions. China emits way more! Therefore we should do nothing." gently caress I hate that line of logic.

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Office Thug posted:

Most people would be surprised just how many "expert" global warming denialists have ties with sectors that would be affected negatively by stricter regulations on emissions or by moving away from fossil fuels to alternatives: http://www.desmogblog.com/global-warming-denier-database

Of course Ross McKitrick is a fellow at the Fraser Institute.

:lol:, I'm glad to see how often the National Post comes up on this website.

Stephen Harper fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 11, 2011

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

I find Skeptical Science useful for providing scientific papers and discussing arguments about global warming. Real Climate is a blog featuring posts by climate scientists. Both have sections for "beginners".

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

a lovely poster posted:

More like conservatives simply refuse to

IIRC the Liberals didn't do much for it when they were in power either.

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

I hate the quasi-conspiracy theory that "Big Green" is somehow at the same level as "Big Oil" or "Big Pharma" in terms of power. One of the assumptions in there is that the scientists studying climate change will get their fame/prestige/grant money if they only churn out results that confirm anthropogenic global warming. On the flip side if you're a scientist that sincerely believes we're not causing global warming, there is an entire industry (literally the world's richest) out there willing to pay for your research and send you around the world to visit conferences, think thanks, do various pundit circuits, etc. Basically if there are scientists out there with legitimate published research that goes against humans causing global warming, either they're staying silent because none of them are drawn to fame and fortune, or because there's no such research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

err posted:

Dumb question: Why is "climate change" being adopted as the contemporary scientific term for what's going on? Wasn't it coined by a conservative during the Bush years to diminish the seriousness of the warming to the public?

It's not a propaganda thing. "Climate change" has been used for a long time, probably just as long as global warming. Here's a NASA article on the two.

• Locked thread