Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Krabsworth posted:

So what? Can we hope all the protests around the world turn into civilization destroying revolutions? Factories come to a stand still as we destroy each other in the streets because we have no food, etc.? I realize things are going to get bad, but something comforts me that at least some humans will survive this, we'll just be in smaller numbers, right?

There are people that survive today in conditions that would make any first worlder wet themselves.

Someone will survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Hell, there are people living in this country in those conditions too. Urban and rural.

Someone will carry the torch.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
You know, all the science talk in this thread is bringing back that Earth 2100 special from a couple (few at this point?) years back. That was drat scary and so many people just poo poo'd it away.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Gatts posted:

Heh. Maybe the rich and elite know we're hosed and this last decade has been a free for all to horde as much as possible to prepare for the fuckedness.

That's the thing though, they really haven't. This isn't going to be about money, the dollars they have will collapse with the rest of it. Its about potential and kinetic energy in its purest form, the ability to move things from place to place and grow stuff and then ship it to wherever they need it.

All of that goes away if our system breaks down.

People really don't understand how delicate stuff like logistics, modern agriculture, aquaculture and manufacturing are. The things that are taken for granted to make all of the former things work..go away..in the case of a massive breakdown and we regress back to pre-industrial times.

Yeah sure, you can pay men with guns to protect you..but what are you going to pay with? Food? How long is that going to work before they just look at you as an energy liability? And I'm not talking about black gold here, I'm talking about energy one needs to sustain their own lives.

No, there will be no technologic cocooned elite living in arcologies while the other 7.9 billion of us starve...no no, its much more sinister than that.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

:ughh:
Every side of the debate has only one interest: to keep the gravy train of government subsidies and tax credits running in their direction. Big Oil doesn't want to lose its fossil fuels business - green tech is gonna kill them off in the end when oil becomes scarce, they know this and are fighting a long battle but they're gonna lose in the end. Until then, there's a lot of money to be made. Many green NGOs and other environmentalist orgs float on government subsidies and grants and that is at risk as long as governments around the world remain skeptical of climate change. What to do? Inject fear and dramatize.

Ok, I think we need to reiterate for posterity that not everything is some kind of super relative 'both parties are guilty' type equivalency fallacy.

Scientists don't go to work monitoring chemical compositions of peat bogs and sit in Antarctic monitoring stations for months at a time because they just want to get 'gravy train' (that's the term you used, right?) handouts from the government.

There is no equivalency between the aims of business trying to deep six science using creative measures that play on the general populace's ignorance of the scientific method and what these researchers do.

I think we've had a pretty decent conversation about this subject so far, lets not muddy it with poo poo arguments like the above.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

The Entire Universe posted:

Tomorrow's high is supposed to be drat near 50 here in Omaha, which is one of those "gently caress YOU SNOW" days where you simply do not want to step in the grass as the snowmelt turns it into the shittiest goddamn mud ever. I'm talking shoe-stealing stain-the-gently caress-out-of-everything red clay mud.

In not-so-local news, Denver's high on Wednesday is expected to be 66. Mile high short sleeves.

Its been like this in coastal NY/NYC area the entire sum...I mean winter. I'm not the type to confuse weather with climate, but this is disconcerting. Next winter will tell the story though because the PDO is in I believe the cool phase so this is meant to happen. That is if I understand el nino and la nina cycles.

Still, we've got stop liberating all this drat sequestered carbon into the loving system.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

Hey guys it's OK, we don't have to worry. It turns out that if a Bad Man believes in a thing then that thing is false by definition.

I will expand on this methodology to prove once and for all that the world is flat- HITLER believed the world was round!, what are you, Hitler II?

(yes the photo is real)

In that white space, i'd spray paint: Michigan Does.

They've been absolutely devastated by the wack rear end weather this winter.

poo poo like that is just shameful. I love free speech, but poo poo like this tests my patience.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

I still can't believe that actually happened. Somehow encouraging people to use better lightbulbs is "taking away their freedom of choice". I mean... what? :psyduck:

I put this in the same category as older jackasses who like to sit there and reminisce about how we in America had the 'most powerful toilets on the planet,' of course referring to pre-regulation era plumbing where each poop would flush with like 10 gallons of water.

And I've heard not so old people spewing this tripe too, mimicking a parent or a relative.

There are people in this country that just don't care enough..or are so programmed to knee jerk against any kind of sensible resource usage that they will lament the fact that we don't waste more water flushing our own poo poo.

We're doomed.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Torka posted:

I've often wondered how people living in areas where clean water is scarce feel about the fact that first worlders poo poo into potable water, if they're aware of it.

I mean, I'm normally pretty good at empathy but I honestly have trouble guessing what the reaction for someone in that situation would be to that knowledge. Outrage? Mirth? Despair?

Probably some of all three.

Hell, set aside the rest of the world for a second and note that several of our own states have to constantly wrestle with water scarcity issues and will do so in perpetuity.

I want to see their reaction to some smirking boneheaded redneck saying something like that.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

-Troika- posted:

The worst thing about destroying civilization in order to save the planet (aside from the billions of deaths) is that it would plunge every surviving woman into a hell without end.

I've sat around and pondered this in the past an yeah...it would be completely horrific for the fairer of sexes.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

Aren't there a few Earthship communities in like, the desert in New Mexico?

Doesn't matter anyway, my husband would probably rather die than live in one. Which is a shame because I've wanted one for years, I think they're awesome. I mean look at this loving bathroom

Nnnng I want one

I love this concept, but they really need to work on the aesthetics. It looks like someone bedazzled an earthen house with glass chunks.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Your Sledgehammer posted:

For a moment, consider things from a geologic perspective. The Earth doesn't care whether or not humans thrive or go extinct. The idea that we are the glorious "final product" of evolution is something that we have chosen to believe, and it has no bearing on reality. Mass extinctions have happened before and they will happen again - we aren't even the first life form to cause a mass extinction. Mass extinctions and climate shifts result in a short period of chaos (short in terms of geologic time), followed by an evolutionary explosion where lots of new life forms fill the empty niches and finally by a long period of stability. What we're doing now will result in the same sort of process - lots of cool new creatures will fill up the Earth. Whether or not we successfully adapt to what we've done is a big question mark, but life will go on.

You want a nice little depressing footnote to counter this? In terms of geologic time, the Earth really only has a narrow bit left for habitability. Due to the gradual increase of solar output over time as the sun burns through its store of hydrogen, the temperature will rise and in about 500 million years a combination of increased solar output along with subduction of water into the mantle due to plate tectonics will lead to plant life going extinct and a gradual depletion of oxygen in the atmosphere.

So yeah, humanity is probably the greatest thing this ball of rock is ever going to produce. It took 4.5 billion years to get here..we don't have another 4.5 billion left.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Ronald Nixon posted:

Do you have any references or links on this? It's not something I'd realised before. I'm reading books about distant history at the moment and having only 500m years left in the scheme of such things is disappointing.

I know its not usually a good reference point, but wikipedia's articles on astronomy and geology are usually pretty good. The article on Earth is pretty finely done:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Future

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

I don't understand skepticism of climate change. There are a grip of alarming graphs that all center around the industrial revolution. Fossil fuel usage, emissions, and none of it requires much serious scientific inquiry. Where do they think these gasses go? Have they witnessed any out-of-control vegetation feeding on the excess CO2? Note, I can't stand reading anything put forth by any "serious" anti-climate change organizations or individuals. It's so wretched and lacking in perspective.

Climate change and how we fix/cope with it is one of those issues that's so huge that its "somebody else's problem."

Kind of like poverty, why people abuse drugs, world hunger, world water scarcity...etc.

The problem is so big that the human mind would rather shut it out and/or rationalize it away than actually think about it.

Mechanism to guard against panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

TheFuglyStik posted:

This old gem seems relevant as well. The text at the bottom right is pure comedy gold just fifteen years later.

I was a wired reader back then. So masturbatory. These guys really believed this stuff too.

Oh and also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wired-Magazine-January-1998-Change-Good-/390425154090

Still have that one in a stack somewhere. So funny...and sort of tragic too.

• Locked thread