Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

McDowell posted:

Space and Nuclear Power are the only things that can save us.

The US has been running modular nuclear reactors for the past 50 years, with our nuclear navy. But this kind of tech is very had to develop for civilian uses because of general apathy about nuclear, and the fear of losing a national secret.

Sorry environmentalists, we've really screwed up the planet at this point, and Nuclear is the most immediate solution we have. If we put our best minds to it we can make it safer, cheaper, and better in a few years (Moon shot anyone?)

:negative: B.b.b.but McDowell! Uranium is a scarce resource too!

This leads to part two:

SPACE EXPLOITATION

With a new "cheap modular nuclear" bubble we can build cheap modular nuclear energy modules for stations and spacecraft. China, the EU, and Russia are all digging space, too. We open source our life support, docking systems; anything that is peaceful and should be cross compatible. Space tech is a great place to establish diplomatic ties and stabilize the global system (as the economy expands its resource base outwards)

I consider this to be a continuation of Atoms for Peace; gently caress the haters, I'm an Eisenhower Conservative :smug:

Really you don't even need part two, reprocessing and IFRs/LFTR (err... Integral Fast Reactors and Liquid Flourine Thorium Reactors) would be pretty good for quite some time.

But again, effort. it'd be nice to have a nice ~1 GW nuke reactor where we could just raze the coal plants and plug in nuke reactors and go on our merry business. That'd be good start anyway. The odds of this happening are incredibly low, but hey, at the end of the day we are too lazy and cheap to save ourselves. A pity, that. Any of our carbon emission reduction will probably happen by a stumbling and falling economy. Maybe the plutocrats are trying to save the world the only way they know how. :v:

EDIT: I take it back... apparently it'd be less than half of what the U.S. needs to do

So... no more cars, sharply reduced air travel AND no coal plants. Probably sequestration requirements for industrial processing as well too. Huh. That IS difficult looking.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Spazzle posted:

Its probably likely that we'll mostly all survive, just in an increasingly polluted and unstable world.

We as in "people in the first world", sure, I'll believe that. I'm kind of worried about people in South and S.E. Asia.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PainterofCrap posted:

Jesus. Now I actually know how it feels to be a moron, but I feel slightly better listening to the two of you hash this out.

Damnit, it isn't that hard! You can do it too, it just takes some time and a little bit of work. This is no way my specialty, I just spent about an hour or so learning (and occasionally refreshing) the basics of it and you can too.

Don't sell yourself short, other people will do that for your for free.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sanchez posted:

As the impacts of climate change hit, particularly talking about food supply but weather too, hundreds of millions of people will die. This means hundreds of millions of people will stop consuming fossil fuels etc, reducing carbon emissions. How many people have to die before the climate stabilizes? Assume the poor ones who use little energy go first.

This is exactly what is going to happen, so I hope someone has done some research.

Since we need an 80% worldwide emission reduction... all of them? We'll probably get our collective heads out of our asses after the first billion, so maybe one or two more after that until we fully adapt?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I read that entire paper and it doesn't conclude the way you think it does. It basically says "If any man-made fracturing is responsible for methane leakages, it has more to do with a century of unregulated extraction activites in the area" and concludes by saying fracking has bad PR but none of the evidence really supports the notion that fracking is responsible for increased concentrations.

Particularly with that region, I encourage you to go look at methane being reported in wells a century ago.

e. Also by quoting the section that you did as some kind of proof you've shown a profound ignorance in sedimentology since "similar geological formations away from extraction sites" doesn't imply there's gas to be found in those sites, just that the host rock is similar. In this case there is oil bearing shale in those areas, but that just means the sedimentological layer part of the same unit, not necessarily that the hydrocarbon concentration is the same.

The biggest problem is improper disposal of the fracking fluids. Here in Texas people pay ~35k for a guy to haul it away, and it costs ~25k to dispose of it in a salt dome. A whole lot of folk will just dump it on some quiet road in the middle of nowhere, and pocket that extra 25k... and that stuff is nasty.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The people who did this should be forced to decontaminate the areas they did this by hand, with supervision.

I understand the sentiment, but it it isn't physically possible to do decontaminate or guard against this in rural Texas. Heck, we incentiveize dumping it since we have separate companies with the tanker trucks and the salt domes, instead of one big company that runs both... or maybe a government agency, since it would probably qualify as a natural monopoly.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

duck monster posted:

Or I guess geo-stationary space-station habitats. We can probably do those pretty soon. its the getting on and off the planet thats the problem, and the only feasible way I can see that working without enacting carnage on the atmosphere involves space elevators, an option that might actually be impossible if we dont have some serious advances in material physics.

Space gun (maybe a smallish Launch loops) for material goods, rockets for people. Space elevators are pretty much a big no. Maybe a Skyhook, but who wants to trust the nerds to get something like parking a huge rock in low earth orbit right on the first try?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DerDestroyer posted:

What are some things we can start doing right now to prevent the situation from getting any worse? Are we already sitting on a ticking time bomb that will end our existence a few decades from now regardless of what we do?

How do we save the environment while maintaining technological civilization?

Generally with things that start with the word "crash" and end with either "program" or "and burn".

Lots of Gen IV nuclear power plants (probably in a "commission a nuke, decommission a coal plant" kind of game"), solar panels everywhere practical, electrification of transport, reforstation programs, building regulations (everything from insulation requirements to painting the roofs white) and a long hard look at agricultural practices.

Hell, I'd also do a huge ramp up of our foreign aid budget that would consist solely of green electric and thermal power generation projects. Hell, if I could have a magic wand, I'd have started that 30 years ago, so we'd have some hard data on how much intermittent power generation (wind and solar) can be safely integrated into an electric grid.

Also, free condoms for everyone. As an individual... you can not have children. Maybe adopt if you want to be a father/mother.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Alctel posted:

If we stopped all emissions tomorrow it may actually make things worse. We need someway to get the carbon out of the atmosphere that is already in there, in conjunction with moving to non-fossil fuels. Sorting out the ocean at the same time would help as well.

Also bribe/pay/buy whoever you need to to stop deforestation in the amazon.

I'm gonna go play 'Fate of the World' again now

Yeah, I'm going to have to ask for something to help back up the bolded part. I'm a bit skeptical and more than a little curious as to why that is the case.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Mac posted:

By devastated, I mean, 60-70% of the breadbasket no longer being arable.

With some (admittedly extreme) diet modification, i.e. a huge reduction in meant consumption, I suspect that this is probably doable for the U.S. Nuts for us exporting food, but yeah.

Paper Mac posted:

For those who genuinely believe that the first world will be relatively unaffected by climate change, I have a couple of maps for you! Here's a map of agricultural production worldwide:

Here's a map showing NCAR's predictions for drought (using some fairly conservative assumptions re: emissions) in 2030-2040:

The Oklahoma dustbowl would have shown up as a change of -3 to -5 on that scale. Have a look at the Mississipi basin, and then the drought map.

I know where the first photo is from, but would you mind sourcing the second one? I'm no climate scientist, but rainfall patterning modelings haven't been the best of friends with tested reality (or so I've read before in other places).

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 20, 2011

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the source. I'll probably go over it sometime soon. First impression: reviews have a habit of trying to integrate a bunch of models, both good and bad, and things can end up being fairly wrong.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

McDowell posted:

If this is accurate:

Russia 2050 :smug:

Except it will be called "North China" from the immigration.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

:words:

That's kinda the point of using the Mississippi river valley. Water navigation is far and away the easiest way to ship goods. I wouldn't doubt there will be lots of Cuba-style farming going on, but the Mississippi river valley is probably the absolute last place in the whole world to stop centralized agriculture.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

duck monster posted:

The boffins really need to hurry the gently caress up and work out a sustainable and cheap way of desalinating water that wont turn a water crisis into an energy crisis.

Actually thats the whole chinese-finger-trap nature of this fucker. A lot of these problems are only solvable by expending more energy, and "more energy" is what got us into this fix in the first place :(

Desalinating water is a matter of of either A) reverse osmosis or B) heating the gently caress out of things (flash distillation). Waste heat from nuclear plants is the only thing I can think of offhand as something that might work on a large scale.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

duck monster posted:

Right or wrong though, theres fairly obvious political problems with putting Atomz near drinking water. poo poo, if dipshits can bitch and moan to the point of getting loving fluride taken out of water in some places because of EVIL CHEMICALS, good luck getting political support for allowing nuclear reactors anywhere loving near peoples drinking water.

I mean gently caress, I have a friend in mid-western america terrified she is going to get cancer because of Fukiyama, and nothing I can say to her will convince her otherwise, because she read a scary article on the internet. :(

Desperate times have a remarkable effect of cutting away the bullshit, which I like to think of it (bullshit, that is) as a luxury good that people afford themselves when they are healthy and well fed. It'll happen, but there will be heaps of human suffering between where we are now and a more pragmatic approach to our infrastructure.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

A regular tree offers only short-term CO2 storage - once it dies and decays/burns, the stored carbon will be re-released into the atmosphere, barring weird plans I've heard people mention about doing things like burying logs in the desert. Artificial trees at least have the potential to yield carbon in a form that can be efficiently sequestered.

So we make charcoal out of the tree and use it as fertilizer for more trees.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

That's fine. The point is, though, that the carbon sequestration ability of trees is pretty much determined by the amount of land area you're willing and able to permanently give over to real/artificial forest.

Stating the obvious is a fairly easy point to make. I think the next obvious question would be "what in the nine hells kind of trees should we plant (for good growth, much less ideal growth) when we don't know what the climate will be in a couple of decades from now in a given region."

Is it even a good idea to bother planting even mesquite trees in, oh say, West Texas?

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know, I suppose we could try to have a 'wooden revolution,' store carbon by intensive growth of trees to make into everything that can be possibly made out of wood. More wood in houses, et cetera. Flammability could then be a potential problem, of course.

Wooden shoes for everyone!

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shipon posted:

Solyndra's technology was very promising, and given enough investment could have easily come down in cost. The biggest reason they collapsed is because Chinese firms dumped lovely (as is the case with all Chinese-manufactured goods) solar panels on our market thanks to their government's heavy subsidization of their solar industry. There can be no free market when different countries subsidize their own industries, so it's best to stop deluding one's self into thinking the government "can't pick winners or losers".

I'm pretty sure the bolded part is a big fat no. It was a tubular sock of a CIGS solar cell, which from a pure effectiveness standpoint isn't really worth that much. CIGS are relatively agnostic to orientation anyway (well, compared to indirect band gap silicon solar cells), and the tubular design was a guaranteed under utilization of the whole cell at any given time.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So "Tragedy of the Commons" means nothing to libertarianism?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

deptstoremook posted:

It can't happen, at least not in the foreseeable future. The seldom-spoken (for rhetorical reasons) truth of the sustainability movement is that these alternative energies (with the possible exception of nuclear) will all have a much smaller output than the current structure. Thus, we will be required to reduce our consumption one way or another. Barring some sort of fantasy science discovery, "green" energy will mean less energy.

Or it will just mean a backbone of nuclear power, with all the accompanying horrors of people loving it up due to cutting corners. Or a relatively larger energy infrastructure industry. I mean as long as we can do around 8:1 or so EROI it won't be too horrible.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Uh no, the vast majority of water in India comes from groundwater that came from normal rain. Have you ever been to India in July? Where are you getting this claim from?

The glaciers act much like natural reservoirs for the seasonal rains if/when the go, there is a serious issue with being able to have a stable access to water during the dry season, from September to June. The groundwater is being drawn down faster than it is replenished, much like how the U.S. is doing in the western states. India could draw more water from their rivers than the western U.S., but their surface water has some serious pollution issues.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Devoyniche posted:

What would be the outcome of switching full scale to solar energy, hypothetically? As I understand it, at a kindergarten level, the sun's energy is being trapped in by greenhouse gasses, right? I have no idea how solar panels work other than "sunlight becomes energy" and sunlight is basically just energy itself; could you not just use the energy being beamed down and the suns energy that is getting trapped, and would doing so have a cooling effect? What would be the effect on flora, who use that energy from the sun to photosynthesize? I imagine that this is something people have already looked at, but I was just wondering.

EDIT: Actually I ask this as a resident of the sun-parched south, most days where I live are mostly clear with few clouds so it seems like something that might make sense here but may not work on a large scale, although I am still curious.

Besides the fact that everything suddenly becomes incredibly expensive? Really solar panels are kinda like water wheels for sunlight. There isn't any extra energy introduced into the system from taking solar light (a broad band of electromagnetic energy) that we can't directly use and turn it into useful electrical energy (moving electrons), but it takes the energy, converts some of it into a useful method, and then the rest of the energy is dispersed into stuff that we can't really use. If the solar panels are being used on the ground, it's pretty likely nothing much besides a little grass is going to grow underneath it.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kafka Esq. posted:

What I wish for is an unbiased assessment of how long it would take to replace fossil fuels with nuclear, with appropriate deregulation steps and standardized machines, and what the trade off would be in safety, if there is one.

Going from stuff like muscle power to steam power during the industrial revoultion... maybe 40-50 years for a complete changeover? Definitely a SWAG, but yeah.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Office Thug posted:

The emissions make sense for nuclear right now. The issue with nuclear is that we're using uranium-235 as the fuel, which is 0.7% of all natural uranium, so you need a lot of mined ore/rock to produce enough of it by mass. If we ever decide to go full-nuclear, the best way to reduce emissions from mining operations would be to switch to more common isotopes such as Uranium-238 (142 times more abundant in nature) or thorium-232 (~500 times more abundant), which would require over 2 magnitudes less mining to produce the same amount of fuel by mass/energy. There's also a lot of room for improvement in terms of fuel-efficiency in reactors which could lead to less fuel needed there too, with current reactors hovering between 0.5 and 1.2% total efficiency (10 to 24% when only considering Uranium-235 mass consumption).

Of course, the same could be said for solar in terms of cost-effectiveness and the elimination of rare-earth elements in their production with organic semiconductors and dyes. The question is which method of energy production stands to make the most gains in the end.

And a somewhat major difference is that solar cells are a bit more decentralized than the operation and management of a nuclear power plant. The latter is only possible with a society with a centralized grid and other cool stuff (which I support, to be sure). It's important to also look at the situations where one or the other is better suited, such as places with no grid already in place and places with lower levels of cooperation when it comes to the necessary infrastructure for nuclear power. That and nuclear power to my understanding isn't exactly one for supply control, it is either running or not running.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Your Sledgehammer posted:

TheFuglyStik, if the discussion in this thread and on the forums at large (which themselves are vastly more intelligent than what you'll see the media spewing) are any indication, then the human race is already ten ways to hosed.

Between the news about the permafrost and the European debt crisis that appears poised to become a global debt crisis, I think we've moved beyond the "What can we do to solve the problem?" stage to the "Holy poo poo, batten down the hatches!" stage. I'm no 2012 doomsday theorist by any means, but based on even the limited observations I am making, things seem very fragile right now and it is easy to imagine that they could unravel very rapidly.

Because people take what TheFuglyStick says as a given, and if I recall, we've worried over that topic a few times already in this thread.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So, convince everyone that LFTR is a good idea (A project of decades... guess 2?), and then build a whole lot of LFTR (a project of decades... guess 2?) to solve a problem that you say is coming to a head in a decade or two? I think we would miss the deadline of before poo poo hits the fan, and nobody wants to do large complex engineering operations like building nuclear reactors.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Office Thug posted:

People are saying the problem is right now, and this is true. But, it's only going to get worse here on out the more we ignore it. Our options are switching to clean sources of energy, diminishing our energy consumption, or doing nothing. The path of least resistance, of course, is doing nothing, which is what we're doing right now. But that path is unacceptable. In my view, switching to full-scale nuclear would be the second path of least resistance due to cost advantages, and it would coincide with an even greater goal of securing enough energy to hammer down a number of other world problems, such as food and water scarcity, phosphorous peak, environmental cleanup efforts, and pollution. 30-40 trillion dollars over four decades for total replacement of all emitting energy sources with something that is secure and cheap over the long-run is pretty reasonable.

I'm not arguing that it is reasonable, but that it isn't going to happen, try though we might (I'm stumping for nuclear power everywhere I can as well). If I was an evil emperor I'd be doing just that, with some bet hedges by heavily investing into basic R&D for solar power and nuclear fusion as well, but you outline something that is already too late to happen. Large, complex, and highly technological societies I see as being necessary conditions to nuclear power, and I don't think we can afford the complexity as an immediate switch while having to deal with society in what will be a permanent depression/recession as we reach ecological limits. Adaptation to an interregnum of a few decades with low power and unstable societies is much more likely. Maybe after that we can do the LFTR and other nuclear powered projects. We will probably be long dead though.

If only people listened to Jimmy Carter :smith:

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

Without really touching on the whole socialist ranting direction this thread has taken, please realize that there is a massive, massive, massive flaw in your worrying, and it is a failure to account for technological advancement.

You cannot just assume the status quo when our technological horizons are being expanded at an incredibly rapid pace. There are decades before any of these adverse effects will take hold, if they ever do. The world will be UNRECOGNIZABLY and UNFATHOMABLY more advanced and better equipped to deal with problems that may arise.

This worship of scientists as having the answers, where scientists become the new "gods" to save humanity is nothing more than an attempt to absolve yourself of any negative externalities of your actions. I feel strongly that I speak on behalf of the vast majority of scientist when I say go to hell.

Are you a scientist in a field relevant to addressing climate change? If not, come on down and join people like me in the proverbial trenches before you can think of saying crap like this, because from where I'm standing, the problems are not being addressed in any significant fashion.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing the register of history where the vast, vast majority of civilizations we have with a lower tech base generally have women be employed mostly for reproduction, since the survival rate of infants drops to crap... which at first impulse seems like an excellent example of oppression by limiting choices.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Don't we have the ability now to just recycle nuclear waste, and then re-use it, or at least most of it?

To put it simply, yes. It does take a bit of work to reprocess Light water reactors (the absolute vast majority of nuclear power plants out there). Other setups could potentially use everything in one go and have very minimal waste byproduct, like what Office Thug talks about.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Russia stands no chance to benefit. Too few people to defend what will be relatively good farmland. With infrastructure built on permafrost (Trans-siberian railroad being the famous example) things in the far East will turn into a place for people to squabble over without the Russian government having a real say in the matter.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Amamake posted:

So if we ignore all that Tom Clancy conspiracy theory squabble bullshit, what you are basically saying, is that Russia stands to benefit enormously?

There are some obvious military and demographical concerns, but that's not even remotely as worrisome to me as the ability of the government to react to rapidly changing environment, taking advantage of whatever benefits and mitigating whatever challenges.

Who is Tom Clancy, and why am I supposed to be him if I talk about how population pressures spill over to the empty parts of Russia.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Now his insult makes even less sense.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

XakEp posted:

Pick up a copy of "The Bear and the Dragon".

Somehow I get the feeling this book is a fantasy jack-off game of governments, rather than people who just get desperate to the point of ignoring governments. Either way, its not like these posts will be remembered by the time poo poo like this happens.

EDIT: And yet, this is a less silly line of discussion than Dusz's posturing.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 24, 2012

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Then the remaining people will dig and come out at night, unless that also is not an option for survival. Ugly all around.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Mac posted:

Another common concern is the uneven cooling effect. There have been a couple of recent papers published w/ respect to this as I think there are some pretty serious equity concerns in that the equitorial regions don't get much cooling while the temperate zones get much more (IIRC).

How would that affect weather patterns? I suppose that is a multimillion dollar question though.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Deuce posted:

The fact that people can figure this poo poo out is mind boggling.

It's essentially another reminder that GPS is awesome.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Peven Stan posted:

Another day another lovely SilentD post. Perhaps you could be bothered to learn some actual science behind climate change and mitigation and not resort to your usual tactic of hippie bashing and braying loudly about "social engineering," as if our ape ancestors stepped out of eden to have an entire petrochemical supply chain and freeways waiting for them.

As for your incessant posting about how climate change fixes amount to social engineering, you might be amused to learn that America is the most heavily socially engineered nation on earth due to our lavish car based infrastructure. For example, almost every major global city follows a pattern where wealth is concentrated in the city center and as you fan out from the center you hit poorer and poorer neighborhoods. Only in America are cities doughnut holes of wealth where the money is concentrated around the outside and the inner city devoid of a fixed population except for office buildings. All of this requires exorbitant expenditures in fossil fuel and highway construction subsidies.

Additionally, whether or not a green fringe is opposed to nuclear is almost entirely immaterial to the costs involved in bringing a nuclear power plant inline. We really don't have the industrial capacity (sold out by your warm and generous pals in finance!) to forge the kind of containment shields needed for reactor construction. Additionally, many utilities adamantly refuse to build nuclear even when prodded to by state governments because of the huge costs and risk involved. Given that, why not have an easier and cheaper time blanketing parts of the US with solar?

edit: I'm not sure if you think banning meat mitigates climate change like you think it does. Outside of additional greenhouse gasses generated in the industrial supply chain, carbon in the biosphere cycles so rapidly it has almost no bearing on climate, especially when you contrast a long time on the geologic scale vs. a long time on ours. Almost nobody I've talked to, be it Ma Sierra, Greenpeace or otherwise has seriously suggested banning meat.

Oh, I suspect we could start mass producing nuclear power plants of a small-to medium size pretty readily, thanks to the Navy and the need for their big ships to have propulsion. We have enough of an industrial base to make nuclear power plants, I promise, just not the traditional LWR which are kinda poo poo anyway.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Divine Disclaimer posted:

I don't know how retarded/not retarded your post history has been here, but that lash out seems particularly poorly informed. Solar is nowhere near potential to meet demand, Nuclear could literally meet demand alone - if we had a more efficient way to store and distribute electricity.

So, yeah. Not sure why you would choose one or the other, in real life you're just going to develop both in parallel anyway.

Also, the dangers of nuclear power are overstated.

Are you sure that you are quoting the right person? I am certainly wildly in favor of nuclear power, and nuclear doesn't nee a storage method so much as solar would need it. Nuclear power plants could need storage if somebody didn't build enough for peak demand and did storage for times at night, but otherwise I'm at a loss as to how somebody would need to store nuclear power.

EDIT: Oooh, maybe you are trying to say that I'm bad for disliking LWR nuke plants? Because I'll admit I'm in Office Thug's camp in being favor of IFR reactors and CANDU style nuke plants.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Gas is still bad. As in, still terribly bad because we don't need to cut CO2 emissions by like 50%, but by like 90%.
Of course, if you're using carbon neutral electricity to get Hydrogen or whatever, it's fine. I'd even argue it's superior to battery powered electric cars because rare earths are, uh, rare and you probably won't be able to power all the world's cars and ships with lithium ion batteries for long.

With regards to getting on the green track... cutting CO2 emissions as quickly as possible is what we should be focusing on. If we manage to do that, a large part of our sustainability problems is taken care of for the foreseeable future (i.e. centuries) and we have breathing room to worry about (and spend money on) everything else.

e: Regarding electric car subsidies: we'll have to do it one way or the other soon (via better batteries or via electricity->fuel conversion), so while it's not exactly low hanging fruit I'm cautiously pro-subsidies and would generally support funding R&D for both options though I think it's going to be the latter.

Also, "green" living at a standard of living close to current first world levels will probably be more energy intensive rather than less so since that would mean replacing lots of area intensive low energy farming with energy intensive low area farming (i.e. vertical farming) and replacing fossil fuels with electricity or synthetic fuel (with substantial losses of energy when converting water to hydrogen/CO2 to fuel, since thermodynamics is a bitch).

Ships would probably be nuclear powered. I mean, it's not like we don't have nuclear powered ships puttering around right now, it's that they are all military. Smaller ships are a bit of an open question though. May be that there will be a lower bound for ship size. Cars would be *much* fewer in number if a switch to electric happened. Hopefully somebody could do a decent zinc/air rechargeable battery, which would obviate the concerns about rarity of materials.

• Locked thread