Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Asa_Shoryu posted:

I was thinking of going back to the game, but can't decide if it's worth re-downloading.

You literally spent $10 to post this

Anyway, this game is actually pretty fun. Seems like the starting assault rifle is pretty decent, and open mic means I had morons complaining about 'getting destroyed by a noob' all evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asa_Shoryu
Dec 11, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Did you seriously just post that? It's free. Hard drive space isn't at such a premium nowadays that your point becomes anything more than just laziness.

yea but I have a tight rear end provider (comcast) and they cap me and or charge me extra for going over. god knows how much I'm going to be charged for downloading swtor beta.... and unfortunately AT&T isn't much better, I mean they wont charge me extra but when I had them before I couldn't stay connected for more than 15 minutes without it cutting out.

And for a game I've played twice (once under realtime worlds and then shortly after GamersFirst released it) not sure if it worth my time to re-download it considering how many problems it had the first 2 times i played it. if they actually fixed the balancing issues I'll probably play again but if its still mid silvers vs a whole squad of golds then I'll just end up leaving again.

don't get me wrong i did somewhat enjoy it the first 2 times but you can only curb stomp people half your rank for so long before it gets dull

Asa_Shoryu fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 11, 2011

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I like the open mic deal because that means I can use all kinds of voice processing to gently caress with pubbies even better

My LTL-only enforcer is a chipmunk quoting death metal lyrics.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

I'm GhostDadRecon on Joker, an invite to SomethingLawful would be nice :shobon:

So what does prestige actually do for you? Is there any reason to do missions other than get money?

It determines the multiplier for your mission rewards.

0 - 0.1x
1 - 0.9x
2 - 1.0x
3 - 1.2x
4 - 1.5x
5 - 2.0x

(I'm not at my PC but I think that's the enforcer multiplier. Crims are different.)

Asa_Shoryu
Dec 11, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

I like the open mic deal because that means I can use all kinds of voice processing to gently caress with pubbies even better

My LTL-only enforcer is a chipmunk quoting death metal lyrics.

do crims still rage and start sending you angry pm's after being hit with LTL?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Asa_Shoryu posted:

Yes, the few of them who don't ragequit

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

less than three posted:

It determines the multiplier for your mission rewards.

0 - 0.1x
1 - 0.9x
2 - 1.0x
3 - 1.2x
4 - 1.5x
5 - 2.0x

(I'm not at my PC but I think that's the enforcer multiplier. Crims are different.)

Enforcer

0 - 0.1x
1 - 0.9x
2 - 1.0x
3 - 1.3x
4 - 1.8x
5 - 2.0x

I forget crim

Asa_Shoryu
Dec 11, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

Yes, the few of them who don't ragequit

i'll come back just for that. I loved running around with LTL harassing crims, especially ones who spent couple hundred bucks on cash shop weapons and cars

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals
Thinking I might get into this now that I've got the crashes under control. On as an enforcer, R2flashdim - do we pretty much just msg one of the folks in the op whenever they're on?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Been grouping with goons, the offer right now on steam if you sign up is 10 free days of premium and a 3-slot rifle. It has really helped the grind, the lows are very frequent.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bchad Bro Chill posted:

Been grouping with goons, the offer right now on steam if you sign up is 10 free days of premium and a 3-slot rifle. It has really helped the grind, the lows are very frequent.

Just saw that offer on Steam, downloading the hell out of this right now. Might as well get a week or so in before TOR starts.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Asa_Shoryu posted:

yea but I have a tight rear end provider (comcast) and they cap me and or charge me extra for going over.

Comcasts data cap is 250 gigabytes. How much are you downloading that this is seriously an issue? :raise:

I Know the Answer to That
Jan 26, 2005
I'm a caring potato.
Downloading this now through steam and will be chasing an invite to Something Lawful once I get it all up and running.

Looked like an interesting game the first time around but I didn't buy it due to the bad thing everyone was saying about it, happy to see it's finally come out and is free to play to boot.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Should we make a steam group? That would be useful now that we can play through Steam.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just realized that the Joker has a 10 day limit even though it says permanent in the description. Since I lost my beta shotgun to a glitch, this sucks pretty bad.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Asa_Shoryu posted:

I just started out with this so I don't know much about the weapon balance, but is there a reason that crims rage about LTL guns? I'm gotten a few angry pms myself since I love using LTL (reminds me of metal gear with CQC and tranqs). Maybe it's because I'm using the starting guns (NL9), but they hardly seem overpowered, and you still have to arrest them afterwards. Is it just because it's insulting to be stunned and arrested?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

FutureCop posted:

Is it just because it's insulting to be stunned and arrested?

Basically, yes.

Another tip for newbies: Pressing V switches which shoulder the camera points over. This is important to use often in order to keep a larger field of vision.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Getting arrested is humiliating and crims are whiny babies. LTL is painfully underpowered compared to normal guns.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
By the by, where do you get the less-than lethals and do you have to be at a certain level or prestige or whatever-the-game-uses-to-gauge-experience?

I finally got the game working yesterday, played for hours and I'm really enjoying it. I was disappointed though to find out in this thread after all that that there's no locational damage. So all the time I spent lining up a headshot was pointless, and the game lets you get away with spray and pray instead of having to have actual skill with aiming.

But whatever, that'll just let me be more lax with my aiming so I can focus more on straight-up killing than getting a good shot.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

LTL is a piece of cake when you're like the only enforcers who ever stun me - the ones who seemingly have a "respawn just behind target" hack. They can run, jump, fall and take damage, climb ladders, no radar blips and not a single sound comes from them until pewpewpewpewpew.

What the gently caress.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

They can run, jump, fall and take damage, climb ladders, no radar blips and not a single sound comes from them until pewpewpewpewpew.

None of those things have ever resulted in radar blips. Only moving in a car and firing a weapon shows up on the radar.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Gasoline posted:

None of those things have ever resulted in radar blips. Only moving in a car and firing a weapon shows up on the radar.

Oh.

They still make no sound though. Since I was basically wallhacking with their sound of footsteps when I played last in early August..

Checking recordings, friendlies have footsteps, some enemy players have footsteps, but the LTL guy who appeared as if by magic was a fresh character in newbie outfit and no clan so that figures. I'll comfort myself by freshing up my LTL fellow and going to town, should contact you from my disgustingly named enforcer FTW and ask for an invite later

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 11, 2011

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I just realized that the Joker has a 10 day limit even though it says permanent in the description. Since I lost my beta shotgun to a glitch, this sucks pretty bad.

That is strange because it says there is no limit, perma unlock. Also if you check in the weapon field it says expiry date: none or something to that degree. However I do see that in the normal inventory view it will go away in eight days. I hope that is a bug and it doesn't go away. The offer implied it was a forever gig, will see.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I can't confirm this, but now I'm thinking the deal with the Steam promotional deal is that you have 10 days to actually get the promo weapons. Like they stay with you after that if you pick them up now, but if you don't get them in that time frame you lose your chance.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Where do you actually put in the code?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Vadun posted:

In game -> Mailbox -> Armas Marketplace -> Redeem code

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Vadun posted:

It's in the Marketplace. There should be something in the Marketplace which says something like "enter code" and you plug it in there to get a week or so of premium plus the Steam promo weapons.

Farbauti
Dec 8, 2011
Had a blast dumptrucking with Something Lawful in the somewhat brief RTW release of APB a year ago or so. So many sweet sweet tears.

Has that been fixed since the relaunch?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

If you're on the Steam APB and cannot seem to get the Armas Market to work, quit out and allow the Steam overlay interface dealio. Also you'll get a free three slot joker (gotta remind people) so make sure to give that to the right character.

Wish I'd been given the choice, I'd take a three slot ALIG over anything.

Farbauti posted:

Has that been fixed since the relaunch?

Only in the way that they actually ban and shitcan you for that now.

Get a customized Fresno instead - or aim well with a Vegas.

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

Huh. This game randomly hangs my computer and forces me to reboot, holding-down-the-power-button style. Anyone else had this problem? I looked it up and apparently the fix is to disable the onboard sound card, but would that really affect it since I'm running all my sound through my SB Audigy card anyway?

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
I'm not really sure what to make of this game. I did the tutorial quests and it recommended I stay in the tutorial zone but I'm not sure what is supposed to happen next and now I'm out of bullets and there are a LOT of dead civilians around.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The Letter A posted:

Huh. This game randomly hangs my computer and forces me to reboot, holding-down-the-power-button style. Anyone else had this problem? I looked it up and apparently the fix is to disable the onboard sound card, but would that really affect it since I'm running all my sound through my SB Audigy card anyway?

If it started suddenly, I don't know, but if you're new, try lowering the audio rate to 44khz:
Control panel / sound / playback device / properties of that one / advanced : Default Format

Some people have been running on 48khz and gotten into major trouble with just some titles (that may have this audio engine in common, now that I think about it), they've been fine after going down to 44khz.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game lags like crap, it's virtually impossible to drive. Is there any way to improve this?

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
Looks like fun. Bisquick looking for an invite to Something Lawful on Joker.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mans posted:

Game lags like crap, it's virtually impossible to drive. Is there any way to improve this?

By buying new hardware.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Mans posted:

NASA doesn't pay you to play APB from the ISS.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Mans posted:

Please be more specific. "Lag" can refer to bad server latency or bad frames per second.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Played all night. Found it amazingly difficult to get a matchup without a hacker in it - of course most of them on the other side - also impossible to get a matchup with a player who'd type in English or at least have a name in latin letters. Then I got into a district with seemingly no hackers in it, fair matchups, and for a few hours it was the marvellous APB that I love and adore that makes me hungry for more..

If I was a billionaire I'd have the APB hackers tracked down and offed, even little Jimmy who used his mothers credit card, because the game is that good when they're not around.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
For those of you on the Enforcer side on the Joker server, I require entertainment. I oft like to make themes of pretty much whatever you want and am out of ideas. If there is a theme you would like to see, but either hate the current versions of it or it doesn't yet exist, give me the name, a link to the track in Youtube/whatever and the 3-4 seconds you want for a theme and your in-game name.

The rules are I have to think I can make it not sound like poo poo, and that I have to want to make it and I'm prone to not doing anything for several days, but if I get around to it, I'll mail you a copy of whatever I come up with and you can do with it what you want.

If you want to see my current work, you can look my auctions up under the name 'Alforno' and find a few tracks that I put up. Some I did because I liked the song. Some I did because the market demand for them nets me mad cash (Nyan Cat...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If there is a theme you would like to see, but either hate the current versions of it or it doesn't yet exist, give me the name, a link to the track in Youtube/whatever and the 3-4 seconds you want for a theme and your in-game name.

After realizing that my enforcer (character name "Molokai") had "kevlar implants", I came to the only logical conclusion on what his theme should be. I don't know the exact limits on themes, but the sections that start at 1:33 and 1:41 would both be fantastic. Pick whichever you think would be best if you decide to work on it.

• Locked thread