Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BungMonkey
Sep 7, 2000

Mmm... Mulched baby...

MrLonghair posted:

It's so bad you wonder how it got approved for release. Even though it's free to play.
The whole thing felt like an accidental release on the part of Ravenscourt; G1 themselves were caught completely off-guard by it.

Also: I am sad they brought back the 20 second despawn volumes on "Anarchy" King-Of-The-Hill mode. I'm not going to be able to do fun stuff like this anymore: http://bungmonkey.omgwallhack.org/vid/apb/BungoTheClown-Setiva-Cammie-outclowned.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Wow, nice hacks.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
*misses half of his 45 shots*

"nice hacks"

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Oh, I'm dumb. I forgot about that open side above the ramp and thought you somehow clipped through the floor to jump there. I'm not a smart man.

But, it's the little things that keep me playing in spite of my brain.
https://gfycat.com/PoorLinearAfricanwilddog
https://gfycat.com/ShoddyBoldChimpanzee
https://gfycat.com/LonelyRectangularImperialeagle
https://gfycat.com/HelplessAbsoluteBronco

BungMonkey
Sep 7, 2000

Mmm... Mulched baby...
Hahaha
Dopenade achieved!

I'm also reminded of the Kipani quadruple roadkill maneuver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vupiwHR2WY

BungMonkey fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 13, 2016

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

https://gfycat.com/PerfectTemptingArabianwildcat
https://gfycat.com/GenerousHandmadeHoki

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2016/07/exciting-things-are-afoot.html

:toot:

:psyduck:

:negative:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

lol I wonder how many people they actually persuaded to uproot themselves from scotland to move to california

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I actually like APB and speak of it favorably whenever I discuss it and even I can see that this engine will never come out

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
*on PC

BungMonkey
Sep 7, 2000

Mmm... Mulched baby...

Goofballs posted:

lol I wonder how many people they actually persuaded to uproot themselves from scotland to move to california
Kemp did some digging around on Linkedin and concluded "none of them".

We lost Roguester, who was active on the bug reports forum, Qwentle, who was the only guy who seemed to vaguely comprehend the weapon balance, and their main IT guy handling server stuff.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Business:
The art of wasting money to make money.

Business is not about survival. Any business that is not growing, is dying.

Dyiing: the PC part of the game, apparently.
Growing: the PS4 version, that based on what I have heard, is absolutely awful.

What all this possible mean:
They hope for survival, by making the PS4 version less awful so enough people give them money to survive.

99% of all software projects fail, 20% of all software projects that did not fail end in some zip file in a usb drive in somebody drawer, or a git repository nobody knows the name or a valid user/password.

Software companies need to survive and profit despite 99.20 % of all his efforts being wasted. Is the 0.80% that pays the lights, give enough excess money for new hires.

I hope they do good, because I love the game, but If they don't aim to grown, to make the game better. They are aiming for dying.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 29, 2016

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

BungMonkey posted:

Kemp did some digging around on Linkedin and concluded "none of them".

We lost Roguester, who was active on the bug reports forum, Qwentle, who was the only guy who seemed to vaguely comprehend the weapon balance, and their main IT guy handling server stuff.

Kemp needs to dig harder. There are a few people that have moved but there are more people that haven't, and there are yet more people that been 'moved on.'

Sion fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 30, 2016

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Also, holy loving lol at Tiggs saying that it was because interoffice communication being bad that she couldn't get her story straight.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You want to explain that one for those of us who aren't into the latest forums drama?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Logged in for the first time in forever lately and my character "Nick" had been force renamed to random garbage letters and I was notified I had to rename my character. Guess I'm done.

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.
Not played this for ages, I used to dominate with an OCA Whisper - probably the most overpowered weapon I've ever used in a shooter, even kept me competitive against hackers, probably long nerfed by now...

i'm aware APB is on xbox one now so I might download and see whatswhat.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Laserpig posted:

Not played this for ages, I used to dominate with an OCA Whisper - probably the most overpowered weapon I've ever used in a shooter, even kept me competitive against hackers, probably long nerfed by now...

i'm aware APB is on xbox one now so I might download and see whatswhat.

Oh man, you missed the glory days of the Troublemaker...

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Laserpig posted:

its funny you should mention that because the oca actually got buffed lmao

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

its funny you should mention that because the oca actually got buffed lmao

THis is what happens when you don't have a design team anymore and just have a cat pushing buttons.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

at least BR is returning to Jericho to help the population.
That's a good thing, right?

right?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Man I loved APB, for a while. Some really memorable matches. Don't think I've touched it in... wow. Over three years now.

GTA Online (for all its P2P netcode issues, bugs, lifetime length loading screens, etc) kind of killed it. I'm impressed it's still ticking along. The gamblers buying joker boxes must still be tossing enough money into the furnace to pay for the server bills.

OCA Whisper and my sporty bloodstained cop car with a people spawner you will be missed! Vaguely.
:gbsmith:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 1, 2016

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

AzureSkys posted:

at least BR is returning to Jericho to help the population.
That's a good thing, right?

right?

"Come and play and spend money!"
'Okay'
"Okay now we need to move you to somewhere else you'll lose your progression and your purchases"
'...well, okay I guess?'
"Okay now that we've done that, we need to move you back here. You'll probably lose your progression and your purchases- hey, where are you going? what do you mean I've hosed you around so much you're not going to bother-?"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I just keep coming back to trolling on this game late at night. Kinda sad that the highest total population I've yet seen during 'prime time' was less than 300.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Can anyone who has the xbone version try /pop in the chat?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wafflz posted:

Can anyone who has the xbone version try /pop in the chat?

Last time I asked it had like 1500, far more than Jericho.

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 28, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-29-what-happened-to-gamings-waterworld

What happened to gaming's Waterworld?

The fall and plummet of APB.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wafflz posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-29-what-happened-to-gamings-waterworld

What happened to gaming's Waterworld?

The fall and plummet of APB.

:rip:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I came here to post that.

There's some wonky poo poo in it. Article claims that the administrators came in in 2015 and that Ben Bateman was the a creative officer rather than community manager.

Eurogamer continue to have a massive axe to grind when it comes to that release embargo thing - I genuinely think that's why Eurogamer continues to have such a throbbing hateboner for APB after all these years. It's kind of sad that they keep going back to the Halliwell stuff that there's some false assumptions in - there's a story to tell about the failure of that game, but it's not about 'what happened when.' There's more there than that, I think.

I love that they bring up the truck and the human avatar though.

Sion fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 29, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

APB will forever have a spot in my heart for "A game that could have been my favorite game of all time".

It's not a perfect metaphor but it feels like when you fight tooth-and-nail to get a friend a job at your business and then they end up being the worst employee.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

APB at release was loving INCREDIBLE game.

I remember being the designated driver, and making weird jumps and poo poo. They really nailed the "hollywood physics" of stun cars.

All that time camping rofts protecting a package, or tryiing to cheese a deliver by parking a lot of vehicles on top of the delivery door. Good times.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
4 dudes on a roof camping with ntecs with savage 3 was akin to fort Knox
Environments were designed with far higher TTK than is in Reloaded.
Shotguns could one shot and had a giant circle reticle instead of a crosshair.
Chase missions were good.
Cars handled even more like poop than they do now.
Per hour monetization because this is 1997's AOL neverwinter nights.
Players could camp on really high up spots that are all blocked off now.
You could bounce cars off the base of the statue in the mini park next to the open mall in financial.
Everyone started with snub nose pistols.
RTW was a mess.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 29, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
With the right kit you could rocketlauncher at your feet and survive, killing everybody near, which was nice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Extra posted:

4 dudes on a roof camping with ntecs with savage 3 was akin to fort Knox
Environments were designed with far higher TTK than is in Reloaded.
Shotguns could one shot and had a giant circle reticle instead of a crosshair.
Chase missions were good.
Cars handled even more like poop than they do now.
Per hour monetization because this is 1997's AOL neverwinter nights.
Players could camp on really high up spots that are all blocked off now.
You could bounce cars off the base of the statue in the mini park next to the open mall in financial.
Everyone started with snub nose pistols.
RTW was a mess.

I miss that shotgun reticle. It was a nice change from the industry standard crosshairs and hope.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I forgot about that weird overly complicated monetization thing. It's probably the main reason why I never picked it up in the early days

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:rip:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Premium is/was for wimps

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Krowley posted:

I forgot about that weird overly complicated monetization thing. It's probably the main reason why I never picked it up in the early days

It really was a few years ahead of it's time. Three years later and it would have had a better suited Unreal Engine, been cheaper to run and fit into an existing buy to play/free to play landscape.

It would also have been demolished by the release of GTA Online :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nah, the entire reason the game failed was that too many people tried the game at release, making the server lags. People trying the game reported about a bad driving model because of lag.

The game never really healed from that. For the gaming community has a whole, APB was a game with bad driving and bad shooting. The game had redeeming features, but for every redeeming feature there where builtin downtimes, builtin grind and what some people perceived has unfairnes.

FPSRPG is really a genre people hate. RPG players hate the FPS part, and RPG players hate the RPG part. FPS players want weapons to be good and feel good, but on a RPG you need Weapon+1 Damage and Weapon+2 Damage, because you want progression. So FPS players pick "Weapon+1 Damage" and instantly hate the game because the weapon don't feel like they want.... probably they want "Weapon+10 Damage".

So what killed the game was niche appeal + release lags.

This is not what gamers think killed the game, because gamers are a delusional group of people. They believe what they believe, but they don't really know why they believe. it.

Of course, for every tale about why something failed, theres a unwritten tale of why something did not succeed, a list of things a game could have done to recapture people. So yes, maybe some key game mode would have made the game succeed, or a push for e-sports, or a better engine / better serverside architecture. I don't know. A list of that would be infinite and for that, useless.

This is my opinion, and like rear end, everyone have one. IMHO / YMMV / etc.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 4, 2016

• Locked thread