Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ambiguatron posted:

Yep. The whole ending is objectively corny if you think about what actually happens, what's said, how it's obviously calculated to pull on the heart strings... but there you are, tearing up over a dying robot. The thumbs-up just seals it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just finished watching the Lord of the Rings with a friend... slightly embarrassed to say I cried a few times during Return of the King. I don't care though, the movie's great, dammit.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Most Disney movies get a free pass. We all cried when Bambi's mom was shot and Mufasa died.

Did anyone else cry at the end of Meet the Robinsons? When the kid changes the past, fixing his roommate's descent into villainhood, that made me cry, just seeing Goob so drat happy getting adopted. And then we see Lewis being adopted by the weird science lady, and when they show the new house they just bought, I lose it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
All three LOTR films make me bawl like a baby. I've seen all of them 10+ times and every. single. time. I'm a wreck. It's getting ridiculous at this point...

Also, Watership Down. I cannot handle that ending. Just everything about it triggers my cry switch.

The one non-documentary film that gets me without fail even if I think or talk about it is The Iron Giant. I swear to god it's the saddest film in the world. I had to specify non-documentary because of loving Dear Zachary, that was two hours of unrelenting misery and to this day I can't explain it to anyone without losing it. That's the reason why everyone says "I won't tell you, just watch it, avoid spoilers". Because no one can talk about it without crying. :smith:

e: I cry at almost every film though. Especially animated ones. Monsters Inc. Despicable Me. Land Before Time. All the Toy Story films. Everything. It's why I've never dared to watch Up.

Dad Beer
Jun 11, 2007
I felt like, this guy's really hurting me. And it hurt.
Liam Clancy-The Band Played Waltzing Matilda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCekeoSTwg

A song by Eric Bogle about the futility of war; Liam Clancy really nails the delivery and I've never been able to get through it without having my eyes well up.

And a song that gives me happy tears, The Parting Glass by the High Kings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhJp0W0ku2w

I could do without the pipes coming in as I feel they make the song take a bit of a maudlin turn, but it's such a choice arrangement and I really like what they do with the harmonies on it.

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl
yospos

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
ehh.

my homie dhall has a new favorite as of 19:22 on Jul 18, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

dinozombiesgoRARR posted:

Police officers in Brazil mourning the loss of two police dogs shot while pursuing suspects.

http://www.chrisroubis.com/2012/01/tribute-paid-to-police-dogs-killed-in-action/

This hit me like a loving truck.

kalanikaloni
Jan 8, 2009

eating only apples posted:

e: I cry at almost every film though. Especially animated ones. Monsters Inc. Despicable Me. Land Before Time. All the Toy Story films. Everything. It's why I've never dared to watch Up.

You should definitely give Up a try. The tears are worth it.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

kalanikaloni posted:

You should definitely give Up a try. The tears are worth it.

That depends. I was so miserable after the opening I couldn't enjoy the rest of it. :(

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
This video from the protests in Wisconsin always makes me have feelings. It was (and still is) an intensely emotional and passionate fight and it totally captures the mood of the early protests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJdJbpj1GE

Auggie Doggie by Small Arms Dealer. "I know it's been a while since we've had a talk. A man to man, a heart to heart. I would call you on the telephone just to say hi if you weren't dead. But you are, so I can't, so I don't. I could say a little prayer but I won't."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoBqYMBiKz8

"Tony Steinberg: Brave Seventh-Grade Viking Warrior"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hFW7Ls3v6k

e: whoops, my video tags were wonky

Angiepants has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Feb 7, 2012

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBk3ynRbtsw
This song, along with this video, always makes me cry. The animation is so beautiful and the song is just .. it just makes me sad. I also can't understand why he goes through all that trouble to keep her and catch her and hold on to her to just leave her in the end. :(

Angiepants posted:

This video from the protests in Wisconsin always makes me have feelings. It was (and still is) an intensely emotional and passionate fight and it totally captures the mood of the early protests.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJdJbpj1GE

This also made me tear up. When I think of America, THAT is the picture I want in my head, not of racists, tea partiers, people protesting abortion, drug tests for welfare recipients, people forcing their religion onto the nation, saying that poor people deserve to die for lack of healthcare. I think I felt better when I didn't realize what was going wrong in this country.

copy of a has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Feb 6, 2012

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

John Galt Project posted:

And a song that gives me happy tears, The Parting Glass by the High Kings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhJp0W0ku2w

Wow, this is like an emotion accelerator. Try reading almost any post in this thread with this music on. Man.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The song Landslide, originally by Fleetwood Mac, covered most famously by The Dixie Chicks and my ex requested that I grab the Billy Corgan version for a mix disc I was making for her. She always liked the male vocalist versions of songs by women, and I was kinda vice versa. I only read the lyrics at a depressing karaoke bar months after we'd broken up and got it.

I guess I should have paid attention.

Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

People on YouTube who would say horrible things about a terminally ill child and there are people like this in the world. Even if it's for attention/lulz. :(

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjkaYh8bauA

"Pictures in my Head" from the newest Muppet movie. My god, I don't remember the last time a movie made me bawl my eyes out like that. That link only has the song- in the movie, Kermit is walking past a bunch of pictures of the other Muppets and reminiscing about the old days.

I usually crack at the line "even frogs have rainy days".

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out
This Rolling Stone magazine article: One Town's War On Gay Teens.

:smith:

Strif-ah Ker-not
Oct 8, 2011
The last page of the graphic novel Maus where The last time he talks to his dad before he dies. His dad gets confused and calls him by the name of his half brother who died during the holocaust

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

cool kids inc. posted:

That depends. I was so miserable after the opening I couldn't enjoy the rest of it. :(

The opening was a killer, but it did set the entire movie, and even after his wife's death, you can feel her alive in the house. So while the opening is loving brutal and I doubt any adults had dry eyes in the theater, without it, if Pixar had just done snapshots or made it into part of the movie, it wouldn't have felt so real.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Cowslips Warren posted:

The opening was a killer, but it did set the entire movie, and even after his wife's death, you can feel her alive in the house. So while the opening is loving brutal and I doubt any adults had dry eyes in the theater, without it, if Pixar had just done snapshots or made it into part of the movie, it wouldn't have felt so real.

Then about halfway when he finds Ellie's old adventure acrapbook, with that little note at the end. Dammit Pixar, that was just evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvgVsVmusPg

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

Just finished watching the Lord of the Rings with a friend... slightly embarrassed to say I cried a few times during Return of the King. I don't care though, the movie's great, dammit.

The only one I didn't cry during the end of was Two Towers, and I came close while Sam was doing his little soliloquy over the Ents destroying Isengard and the Riders of Rohan driving out the Uruk-hai.

What killed me was the final bit of Return of the King where they find out that Frodo is going with the elves to the Grey Havens (Sam: "You don't mean that...you can't leave!")

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

This is the loving saddest thing I've ever read :(

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Holy goddamn, I want to punch that Barb Anderson in the loving mouth.

Farecoal has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Feb 7, 2012

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I work with magazines for my job and read this last week. Brutal.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

A stray cat just wants his buddy to wake up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7zkXjSQWk

He's not gonna wake up ever again. :(

Oh god :qq:

My contribution - the ending of Saving Private Ryan

For some reason my sophomore history teacher decided it was a good idea to watch this. I had to put my head down at this part and pretend to be sleeping.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Kammat posted:

God dammit. Why is this one out of all things such a gut puncher for me?

I made it less than five seconds. gently caress.

Now that just makes the stuff I was gonna post seem so shallow :( But oh well. That poor cat, I want to give it a hug and give its friend a nice burial :(

Lost- when Desmond calls Penny and speaks to her for the first time in years. When Lost was on I'd usually go over and watch it with half a dozen people, I'm glad I chose that evening to stay home and do homework while watching.

And then when they reunite.

Moulin Rouge finale, "Come What May." The whole movie is an orgy of ridiculous cheesy colorful weird and I love every. loving. second. of it. But that scene (and the "I've come to pay my whore" bit leading up to) breaks my heart.

Nth-ing Dear Zachary. I have never cried so hard at anything in my life. The mixture of anger, defeat, and revulsion I felt mixed with the amount of sorrow and sympathy I felt for Zachary's family left me completely drained. It's excellent, but incredibly draining.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Alter Ego posted:

What killed me was the final bit of Return of the King where they find out that Frodo is going with the elves to the Grey Havens (Sam: "You don't mean that...you can't leave!")

I gotta say for me it was when everyone bowed to the hobbits. It was great with the swell of the music.

It really encapsulated the hobbits to that point. They were so close to the ground, they probably saw the big picture less than the other races, but were perseverant almost unflinchingly (save for that rear end in a top hat ring). So when everyone bowed to the hobbits, and they just looked completely dumbfounded, I had to tear up a bit at the moment. They were on top of the world, literally, and seemed to not know how they got there - it was charming at the least.

The movie should've ended right there btw.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
The scene from Monsters Inc. where Sulley says goodbye to Boo.

"Kitty?"

"Kitty has to go."

The first moment in film that made me cry besides Bambi. And I usually don't show emotions while watching movies.:smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Kate Beaton made a comic.

:cry:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Oh man, that made me break down pretty badly. I wasn't expecting a lot from an image called loss.png but drat it I was bawling. I guess I can relate to it. I'm a second-generation immigrant and I haven't seen my extended family in roughly eight years and she pretty much nailed it.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I read this about an hour after learning that a family member is entering into hospice care. I'm about 3,000 miles away from them. I haven't started crying but my throat is up in a knot and I can't really form words right now. :smith:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Pick posted:

A Garfield animated segment. A Garfield animated segment?

A Garfield animated segment.

Did...
Did Garfield just make me cry? Holy poo poo!

I'm just getting a 404 :qq:

Farecoal has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Feb 8, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Farecoal posted:

I'm just getting a 404 :cry:

Weird. I just read that from that link.

The author was a goon once (briefly) and ended up leaving after some goon fans creeped her out. There is a remake of one of her cartoons with her huddled up in front of her computer crying at the horrors of GBS or some such.

She probably saw all the referrals and assumed we were making gross jokes at her expense.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why it hit me so hard, but drat that is a good comic.

The play Into the Woods. It's a fairy tale deal with Cinderella, and Rapunzel, and Jack and the Beanstalk, etc, and then act 2 is what happens after happily ever after. Noted most is Rapunzel, who went from living in a tower, being exiled by her witch-mom, giving birth to twins, and finding her prince, then getting married by act 2. And then in act 2, she's a total mess, unable to deal with being a mother and wife or be around people at all. And she ends up being killed. Her witch-mom sings this loving evilly sad song about how she tried to protect her, but the real tearjerker is the final song at the end: Children Will Listen. In short, wishes come true, not free, and magic isn't free either. At the end of act 1, most everyone has what they wished for; at the end of act 2, most everyone realizes it wasn't what they really wanted, and they lost what they had, or did.

I always loving cry at Children Will Listen.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Farecoal posted:

I'm just getting a 404 :cry:
Here ya go, little buddy. http://i.imgur.com/kUPLz.jpg

MephistosBistro
Apr 25, 2010

We're not half as bad
as God is good.
gently caress this thread. :ohdear:

Naked as we Came always makes me cry. It's such a truthful love song. Peaceful.

One of us will die inside these arms
Eyes wide open
Naked as we Came

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

cool kids inc. posted:

Yeah? The first time I watched Up during the intro I was saying to my fiancee "Oh ahha, that is so like us! Haha, aww that's like us! ...............":aaa::qq:

"Love You Forever" is a for sure one. I took my nephew to hear Robert Munsch tell stories when he was in my hometown a few years ago, and when he told that story I bawled my eyes out, especially knowing the background of it.

I could go on but I'm such a huge baby that I cry at...most things that are slightly upsetting.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The thing with Up, for me at least, was what even when Ellie was gone, she was clearly in the house still, and when her husband screwed up and was going to abandon Kevin to Muntz, my mom and I were near yelling at the TV: you loving moron, you really think Ellie would be proud of you, doing what you're doing!

We already hit on Avatar: The Last Airbender with Uncle Iroh mourning his dead son, and with Yue dying/disappearing, but one thing that killed me was when kid Zuko woke up to find his mother gone, and the series ends without any info about her, other than she disappeared. Did she die? Did she run away? The fact that the last words we hear from Zuko is him asking where his mother is brings down the otherwise happy end of the series for me.

That and his sister going insane when she hallucinates her mother being there. "You feared me!" "No, Azula, I loved you, I always loved you."

Why the hell am I crying at some psycho girl breaking a mirror before she starts weeping? Because it's loving sad.

edit: The above avatar reminds me of a few things in King of the Hill that got me teary-eyed.

When Hank's dad dies, and rather than tell the truth about his last words, Peggy lies and says his last words were that he loved his son.

When Dale realizes that Joseph isn't his son (he deducts that since he was in Roswell, aliens knocked up his wife) and takes Joseph to loving New Mexico so he can be with his real family. And in the end in the usual Dale-spiel, has an epiphany and refuses to give the kid 'back' to the aliens (which of course are just lights or fireworks or something).

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Feb 8, 2012

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The final scenes of the film Nihonkai Daikaisen (1969). It depicts the Battle of Tsushima Strait, when Japan's fully modern navy smashed a motley, desperately thrown-together Russian fleet that arrived to the battle straight after steaming all the way around the world to relieve an already-lost fleet and save an already-lost fortress.

I haven't seen the whole film honestly, just this clip, but I get choked up every time starting from 7:16. You have to realize that some of the Russian ships were as much as 20 years obsolete, going into battle against a highly-trained and completely superior fleet. It's just... for completely useless acts of gallantry, doing their duty even as their fleet was torn to shreds around them is up there. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna crosspost this from the BSS Touching/Inspiring Moments thread because it made me cry like a baby. There's a lot more context to this, but I'll try to be as succinct as possible. Angel (one of the original X-Men) is dying. So, with a city crashing around them, Psylocke (his psychic girlfriend) makes him as comfortable as she can before the end.

NorgLyle posted:

I admit that I'm a sucker for this kind of thing but Uncanny X-Force #18 got to me.

Everyone knows comic book death is meaningless, but god drat if it can't be written well enough to get to me.

• Locked thread