Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

evil_bunnY posted:

That's what I was saying? (also, RAID on a controller bought around that time would have prevented TRIM anyway)

Sorry, that's what I thought you meant; the RAID thing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
Hey guys.

I would have asked this in the Hardware Short Questions megathread but it isn't really hardware related, if there's a better place to ask this let me know and I'll remove it. :)

Just replaced my OCZ Vertex II (a shitstorm ready to happen) with a Corsair Force 3 and was wondering if there's any way of easily transferring everything from the one SSD to the other (including my OS) seamlessly. Normally it'd just be a copy-paste job but there's an OS installation, registries and poo poo like that to move, too. Any advice?

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!
Windows 7?

There's an option in Control Panel -> Backup and Restore to image your boot drive, then either boot off your windows disk, or use the same utility to make a boot disk to restore it. Not sure about whether it'll align everything nicely for an SSD, but I've used it to move between traditional hard disks before.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
Yeah, it's Windows 7.

So Backup/Restore would work so long as I have the boot disk. Should be around here somewhere. Thanks for the help. :)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Blackclaw posted:

Yeah, it's Windows 7.

So Backup/Restore would work so long as I have the boot disk. Should be around here somewhere. Thanks for the help. :)

FWIW, I've had problems restoring to a drive that isn't exactly the same size, although I don't know if there is a better way to fix it.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

FWIW, I've had problems restoring to a drive that isn't exactly the same size, although I don't know if there is a better way to fix it.

Right now I've got problems just creating the system image - it refuses to save the image to my 1TB drive because the image can't be saved to a location "where Windows is installed or boots from". The strange part is that my system boots from my SSD...

This also means that the backup process refuses to exclude this 1TB drive, meaning I'd have nowhere big enough to put the image even if I went ahead with it.

It's not labelling the 1TB drive as a 'Boot' drive in Disk Management so I dunno what the gently caress. v:shobon:v Might it be because my 'Downloads' folder is sitting in the 1TB drive when it was originally set in the SSD?

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!

Falcon2001 posted:

I haven't, but I've only moved to bigger devices; not tried to shrink it.

You can make a boot disk from the same Backup and Restore thing in control panel, too. It's the "Create a System Repair disk" option.

As for why the other one is tagged as bootable - windows will have a hidden ~100MB partition on a random drive with (as far as I'm aware) bootloadery sorts of things in it. Is that on your 1TB drive, maybe?

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

Talaii posted:

I haven't, but I've only moved to bigger devices; not tried to shrink it.

You can make a boot disk from the same Backup and Restore thing in control panel, too. It's the "Create a System Repair disk" option.

As for why the other one is tagged as bootable - windows will have a hidden ~100MB partition on a random drive with (as far as I'm aware) bootloadery sorts of things in it. Is that on your 1TB drive, maybe?

Nope, System Reserved partition is sitting on my SSD. I might try starting it up with the HDD removed, but a lot of my programs are installed on there, and it might screw things up if it can't find them on startup. Maybe I should do the backup in safe mode?

edit: Figured it out, there were Services registries pointing to several files on my HDD (TiVo and Dragon Age Origins). Re-directed them to C:/ and it works. Thanks for the help guys :)

Blackclaw fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 3, 2012

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've been running 3x Crucial c300 64GB in raid 0 since September 2010.
Who needs trim when you got good garbage collection?

09 September 2010:

04 April 2011:

03 March 2012:

The numbers aren't all that impressive any more though.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Well considering you got that performance from three "value" drives I'd say it turned out pretty well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ah yes, finally looks like I'm getting an SSD in my work machine. 60GB Intel 520 series here I come!

Then I don't have to use a machine with a HDD on a regular basis.

Paraduck
Jan 7, 2010

OMG I'M A CHOCOBO.
KWEH! KWEH!

HalloKitty posted:

Ah yes, finally looks like I'm getting an SSD in my work machine. 60GB Intel 520 series here I come!

Nice! I just bought the 120gb Intel 520 series! Really looking forward to getting that into my home PC. :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I had to work on a machine with a single 5.4k spindle this afternoon and I have no idea how anyone ever put up with that poo poo. 'tis downright intolerable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HalloKitty posted:

60GB do you work for poor people

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

60GB do you work for poor people

Yes, sadly, it's a miracle anyway, so I'm not pushing my luck.

My current system drive at work is an 80GB Maxtor, (120GB Seagate plugged in too) and I have 6 onboard SATA ports, so storage isn't an issue locally. Just speed.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Frys Electronics is selling the 256GB Samsung 830 for $289.00, which currently makes it cheaper than the 240GB Corsair Force 3.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Which also arguably it's a better drive.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Aniki posted:

Frys Electronics is selling the 256GB Samsung 830 for $289.00, which currently makes it cheaper than the 240GB Corsair Force 3.

Argh.... I just bought the 128GB Samsung when it was on sale a few weeks ago. Ah wells, I'll just wait for a new revision I guess :(

Flewdefur
Dec 19, 2003
. .
Thanks to this thread I picked up a Corsair Force 3. It came with the latest firmware and installed in my Thinkpad with no problems. I'm limited to SATA3gbps by my chipset, but the benchmarks are what I expected.

To be honest, I was a little underwhelmed with the upgrade. My old drive was a 5400rpm drive so I thought I would be blown away.

The only difference I notice is in the first launch of applications, virtual machines, and windows (which I never shutdown). After that, the re-load speed is pretty much the same as with the old drive.

More than anything, I think this is a testament to windows 7's background caching ability.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Windows' Prefetch logic is also pretty good for repetitive workloads. In Tom's Hardware's recent tests of the Seagate hybrid HDDs, they found that by the fifth repetition of the tests (with reboots in between to clear the memory caches) the regular harddrives had sped up almost as much as the hybrid drives because Windows was prefetching so efficiently. Of course the hybrid drives also don't have enough cache to make a meaningful difference, but still.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

evil_bunnY posted:

I had to work on a machine with a single 5.4k spindle this afternoon and I have no idea how anyone ever put up with that poo poo. 'tis downright intolerable.

A couple of days ago, my boss was sitting in his office pouting and doing nothing for most of the day while his corrupted Outlook mailbox tried to unfuck itself on his laptop's 5.4k. Thanked the good fortunes having demanded an SSD from him for my own workstation.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

The 256GB Samsung 830 just hit $340 on Amazon.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, I just picked up an M4 SSD,

Things are not going well. First I just plugged it in, and it started crashing my AMD video driver repeatedly. Unplugged, problem goes away. plugged, problem retunrs. Updated the video drivers and that seems to have resolved, for the moment, but I don't want this drive as a secondary.

So, I unplug my primary drive, set this one as SATA 0 and boot off the CD to install.

sat at various hourglasses and cycling circle things for 20 minutes, doing nothing till I got frusterated and started banging escape space ctrlaltdelete, what have you, when it would occasionally, grudgingly advance to the next step.

SO, I turned everything off, said "huh, maybe I should turn on AHCPI" did this, which didn't improve my "won't freaking install windows on the drive in a timely manner" issue, but did make windows unbootable off my other drives.

There are no instructions on/in the box.

Is there some obvious thing I am doing stupid? It should install win7 off a dvd double-quick, right? there should be no 5-10 minute waits between steps with no advancing of anythings, right?

And I should set it to AHCPI when I install, right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OCZ Vertex 4 (Indilinx 2) at CEBIT:

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Slo-Tek posted:

Is there some obvious thing I am doing stupid? It should install win7 off a dvd double-quick, right? there should be no 5-10 minute waits between steps with no advancing of anythings, right?

Not sure about the rest of this stuff, but you will be limited to the fastest speeds the data can come off the DVD drive, which isn't all that fast.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Slo-Tek posted:

So, I just picked up an M4 SSD,

Things are not going well. First I just plugged it in, and it started crashing my AMD video driver repeatedly. Unplugged, problem goes away. plugged, problem retunrs. Updated the video drivers and that seems to have resolved, for the moment, but I don't want this drive as a secondary.

So, I unplug my primary drive, set this one as SATA 0 and boot off the CD to install.

sat at various hourglasses and cycling circle things for 20 minutes, doing nothing till I got frusterated and started banging escape space ctrlaltdelete, what have you, when it would occasionally, grudgingly advance to the next step.

SO, I turned everything off, said "huh, maybe I should turn on AHCPI" did this, which didn't improve my "won't freaking install windows on the drive in a timely manner" issue, but did make windows unbootable off my other drives.

There are no instructions on/in the box.

Some drives are just DOA. Replace that sumbitch; it should work exactly like a hard drive and not, y'know, cause your computer to poo poo itself.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I just installed Win 7 fresh to a 120GB SSD. My Samsung 500GB HDD is also still in the computer [used to be boot drive]. Can I just delete all the old program folders and windows folders etc, leaving only media/documents that I want to keep?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

tijag posted:

I just installed Win 7 fresh to a 120GB SSD. My Samsung 500GB HDD is also still in the computer [used to be boot drive]. Can I just delete all the old program folders and windows folders etc, leaving only media/documents that I want to keep?

Personally, I kept my old Windows directory on my old drive for a while in case my SDD had issues. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues, so I've finally deleted the whole Windows directory.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Shadowhand00 posted:

Personally, I kept my old Windows directory on my old drive for a while in case my SDD had issues. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues, so I've finally deleted the whole Windows directory.

How do you delete it?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

tijag posted:

How do you delete it?

Right-click---->"delete" :D

Seriously, the leftover "windows.old" directory deletes just like anything else once you boot off the new Windows install. At least it always has for me.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

JnnyThndrs posted:

Right-click---->"delete" :D

Seriously, the leftover "windows.old" directory deletes just like anything else once you boot off the new Windows install. At least it always has for me.

I think i'll need to delete this from a command prompt, or format the drive or something. I get an error that says I need permission from 'TrustedInstaller'

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

tijag posted:

I think i'll need to delete this from a command prompt, or format the drive or something. I get an error that says I need permission from 'TrustedInstaller'

Maybe try to delete it in Safe Mode?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Out of desperation, I'm going to crosspost this from the W8 thread. :(

quote:

Well, I'm in trouble here...

I have W8 installed on a HDD in my Lenovo. I had my 256GB W7 SSD, with all of my files, in the ultrabay as a second hard drive.

I tried opening a PDF off of that SSD, and the machine froze up, hard.

I held down the power key to reboot, and when it came back, the SSD wasn't able to open in W8. I shut it down, took out the HDD, and tried booting from the SSD. I got a BSOD saying there was some error and startup was shut down to prevent damage to my computer!

I ran chkdsk on it and it seemed okay, but it still won't boot, giving me some sort of blue screen. Windows tried to repair errors for a while, but I guess it didn't work. When I boot, things look okay for the most part, I even get the "Starting Windows" logo and everything. I get a little further going into Safe Mode, where I can see a mouse cursor, but nothing else loads.

I'm back on the W8 drive, and it still can't do anything with the SSD. It sees it as "New Volume" and NTFS, but W8 says it's 0 bytes and it can't do error checking, saying it can't access the disk.

I'm running EASUS Data Recovery Wizard right now, and it seems like it can find all the files (it's counting them as we speak), so I'm not sure if that's a good sign or what. I am pretty upset. Should I take this to the SSD thread? My latest backup was 3 or 4 months ago, so I'd definitely be losing stuff.

EDIT: Well, it looks like EASEUS Data Recovery will do the trick. I let it run all day, and it's currently moving everything over to an external drive. Knock on wood, fingers crossed.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 9, 2012

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Ever had one of those days where you wished you could just bring something home, play some Portal 2 with it and maybe run a few databases off of it?

Its just too bad CDM can't put it under a higher load :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Now that is some serious data movement. Even some of the nicer platter SANs over Fibre Channel can't touch that. I imagine thatis a 5 disk array, is it on a real RAID card?

I bought a 120GB Corsair Force GT from Newegg per the OP's recommendation, and its been awesome. My numbers are on an older SATA II Gigabyte EP45-DS3L with a Q9550. I'm not using the Intel Rapid Storage Driver yet.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
My work laptop is a Lenovo T410 with one of the Samsung SSDs (MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1 , firmware version VBM1EL1Q) installed that were so popular with OEMs. It was never a particularly speedy drive compared to most other SSDs, but it was still a noticeable performance boost over a regular hard drive. I've had the laptop for almost two years now and lately I've been noticing a decrease in performance and times where the laptop feels sluggish or like I'm waiting for the disk. So I fired up CDM and was very disappointed with the results (attached).

I'm running Windows 7 and although the drive itself supports TRIM, the latest firmware Lenovo has released for it doesn't include TRIM. It looks like people have figured out ways to flash the latest Samsung firmware to the drive to enable TRIM, but it involves hotplugging the drive at a certain point once you've started the flash utility and I don't really feel like messing with that. Apparently this drive does internal garbage collection if it's formatted using NTFS, but given my CDM figures I don't think that's working. I'm not running Lenovo's factory install, but I am using the Lenovo provided drivers and such.

Anyone know how I can verify if the internal GC is in fact working (and if not, how I can enable it)? Or any suggestions on how I might be able to get back to the performance the drive had when it was new? Worst case scenario, I have a Vertex 3 MAX IOPS sitting in my desk that I could just swap in. (We picked it up for another machine, but forgot that the other machine only fits 1.8" drives, unlike the T410 which can take 2.5" or 1.8" drives.) But I'd kinda like to know how I can make this thing run better, since I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

Now that is some serious data movement. Even some of the nicer platter SANs over Fibre Channel can't touch that. I imagine thatis a 5 disk array, is it on a real RAID card?

When fully saturated it pushes like 1300MB/s through random 4K ;). Its a OCZ Z-Drive R4 I have in for long term testing.

http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_zdrive_r4_enterprise_pcie_ssd_review

Wrapped up some of the heavier enterprise stuff and now looking to get some real-world traffic passing through it.

chizad posted:

My work laptop is a Lenovo T410 with one of the Samsung SSDs (MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1 , firmware version VBM1EL1Q) installed that were so popular with OEMs. It was never a particularly speedy drive compared to most other SSDs, but it was still a noticeable performance boost over a regular hard drive. I've had the laptop for almost two years now and lately I've been noticing a decrease in performance and times where the laptop feels sluggish or like I'm waiting for the disk. So I fired up CDM and was very disappointed with the results (attached).

I'm running Windows 7 and although the drive itself supports TRIM, the latest firmware Lenovo has released for it doesn't include TRIM. It looks like people have figured out ways to flash the latest Samsung firmware to the drive to enable TRIM, but it involves hotplugging the drive at a certain point once you've started the flash utility and I don't really feel like messing with that. Apparently this drive does internal garbage collection if it's formatted using NTFS, but given my CDM figures I don't think that's working. I'm not running Lenovo's factory install, but I am using the Lenovo provided drivers and such.

Anyone know how I can verify if the internal GC is in fact working (and if not, how I can enable it)? Or any suggestions on how I might be able to get back to the performance the drive had when it was new? Worst case scenario, I have a Vertex 3 MAX IOPS sitting in my desk that I could just swap in. (We picked it up for another machine, but forgot that the other machine only fits 1.8" drives, unlike the T410 which can take 2.5" or 1.8" drives.) But I'd kinda like to know how I can make this thing run better, since I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue.

Internal GC works regardless of user settings... its part of the NAND interaction with the controller and without it your performance would be pretty bad. That said your scores are horrendous for any SSD, making me wonder if you even have functioning GC. Your random 512K and 4K performance can seriously be matched and far surpassed by a 7200RPM notebook hard drive.

Could you load up CrystalDiskInfo and copy/paste the output? Kind of wondering if you have massive amounts of reallocated reserved blocks and that SSD is dying.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Random I/O nothing, that sequential write is an order of magnitude off the mark.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

But it's $330 on Newegg...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

dietcokefiend posted:

Internal GC works regardless of user settings... its part of the NAND interaction with the controller and without it your performance would be pretty bad. That said your scores are horrendous for any SSD, making me wonder if you even have functioning GC. Your random 512K and 4K performance can seriously be matched and far surpassed by a 7200RPM notebook hard drive.

Could you load up CrystalDiskInfo and copy/paste the output? Kind of wondering if you have massive amounts of reallocated reserved blocks and that SSD is dying.

Yeah, my jaw dropped when I saw those scores. I'm also running BitLocker on my laptop, but I'm not sure how much of a drop in performance that would account for. When I first turned it on I didn't notice any decrease in performance, but I also didn't run any before/after benchmarks so I don't know how much of an impact BitLocker actually has. I happen to have an identical machine sitting on my desk (the joys of working in IT), so I'm going to do some testing with it to see how my drive compares.

In actual usage it still feels more responsive (other than the occasional sluggishness) than a regular HDD, but it's definitely not as snappy as it was when I first got it. And the reason I asked about the internal GC is because everything I've read about this drive mentions that GC only works if the drive is formatted NTFS, so I wasn't sure if there was some special driver it needed or something silly like that. Anyways, here's the output from CrystalDiskInfo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskInfo 4.3.0 (C) 2008-2012 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

OS : Windows 7 Enterprise Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)
Date : 2012/03/12 10:23:56

-- Controller Map ----------------------------------------------------------
+ ATA Channel 0 (0) [ATA]
- SAMSUNG MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1 ATA Device
+ ATA Channel 1 (1) [ATA]
- HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU10N ATA Device
- ATA Channel 4 (4) [ATA]
- ATA Channel 5 (5) [ATA]
+ Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 3B2F [ATA]
- ATA Channel 0 (0)
- ATA Channel 1 (1)
- ATA Channel 4 (4)
- ATA Channel 5 (5)
- Ricoh PCIe Memory Stick Host Controller [ATA]

-- Disk List ---------------------------------------------------------------
(1) SAMSUNG MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1 : 128.0 GB [0-0-0, pd1] - sg

(1) SAMSUNG MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1
Model : SAMSUNG MMCRE28G8MXP-0VBL1
Firmware : VBM1EL1Q
Serial Number :
Disk Size : 128.0 GB (8.4/128.0/128.0)
Buffer Size : Unknown
Queue Depth : 1
# of Sectors : 250069680
Rotation Rate : ---- (SSD)
Interface : Serial ATA
Major Version : ATA/ATAPI-7
Minor Version : ATA/ATAPI-7 T13 1532D version 1
Transfer Mode : SATA/300
Power On Hours : 3496 hours
Power On Count : 621 count
Temparature : Unknown
Health Status : Good (97 %)
Features : S.M.A.R.T., 48bit LBA
APM Level : ----
AAM Level : ----

-- S.M.A.R.T. --------------------------------------------------------------
ID Cur Wor Thr RawValues(6) Attribute Name
09 _99 _99 __0 000000000DA8 Power-on Hours
0C _99 _99 __0 00000000026D Power-on Count
AF 100 100 _10 000000000000 Program Fail Count (Chip)
B0 100 100 _10 000000000000 Erase Fail Count (Chip)
B1 _97 _97 _17 000000000080 Wear Leveling Count
B2 _65 _65 _10 000000000015 Used Reserved Block Count (Chip)
B3 _97 _97 _10 000000000056 Used Reserved Block Count (Total)
B4 _97 _97 _10 000000000EAA Unused Reserved Block Count (Total)
B5 100 100 _10 000000000000 Program Fail Count (Total)
B6 100 100 _10 000000000000 Erase Fail Count (Total)
B7 100 100 _10 000000000000 Runtime Bad Block (Total)
BB 100 100 __0 000000000000 Uncorrectable Error Count
C3 200 200 __0 000000000000 ECC Error Rate
C6 100 100 __0 000000000000 Off-Line Uncorrectable Error Count
C7 253 253 __0 000000000000 CRC Error Count
E9 199 199 __0 0000000E2B33 Vendor Specific
EA 100 100 __0 000000000000 Vendor Specific
EB 100 100 __0 000000000000 POR Recovery Count
EC _99 _99 __0 000000000109 Vendor Specific
ED _99 _99 __0 0000000001EA Vendor Specific
EE 100 100 __0 000000000000 Vendor Specific

chizad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 12, 2012

• Locked thread