Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krooj
Dec 2, 2006

ijyt posted:

I'm tempted to buy a Crucial M4 256, to replace my aging Maxtor drives (they sound like jackhammers now). However, I'm also 'planning' to upgrade to Haswell come March-May 2013, would it be wiser for me to wait until then in regards to price?

I don't think the drives are going to die any day now, but it definitely seems like they're nearing retirement.

I would buy one for the OS right now and let that ease your current box into retirement in 2013. Once you get the Haswell system going, re-purpose the M4 into a laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Lite-on owns Plextor and uses that brand to sell their own consumer products. They also manufacturer a ton of SSDs for other manufacturers :ssh:
I don't think that's true, I can't find any evidence the companies are related, but Plextor has been selling re-branded Lite-On storage devices for quite some time.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

I personally think an SSD is kind of overkill for a netbook CPU like a Celeron 900, Atom 1.6GHz, AMD C50, etc. As in the CPU isn't really sitting around idle that often waiting on the HDD.

Hey, I have a SSD (well, a 2GB CF card) as the main drive in my Amiga 1200 :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You Am I posted:

Hey, I have a SSD (well, a 2GB CF card) as the main drive in my Amiga 1200 :v:

I've seen similar setups in old Macs (especially Powerbooks) since it's hard to find small, working SCSI drives.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

What do you guys think about the Crucial Adrenaline SSD cache drive? It might be a good option for a few people that want noticeably (if not blisteringly) faster Windows boot time, and faster applications and games loading times, but don't want to clone their entire OS to a 128gb SSD drive.

I'm guessing the idea of SSD caching is normally brushed off here, but it's gotten good reviews on several tech websites and the benchmarks indicate it'll definitely boost a system still running an HDD. My question is whether it's any more effective than using a cheap 64gb SSD with Intel SRT for those with Z68 chipsets?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quanta posted:

What do you guys think about the Crucial Adrenaline SSD cache drive? It might be a good option for a few people that want noticeably (if not blisteringly) faster Windows boot time, and faster applications and games loading times, but don't want to clone their entire OS to a 128gb SSD drive.

I'm guessing the idea of SSD caching is normally brushed off here, but it's gotten good reviews on several tech websites and the benchmarks indicate it'll definitely boost a system still running an HDD. My question is whether it's any more effective than using a cheap 64gb SSD with Intel SRT for those with Z68 chipsets?

It's not going to fool you into thinking you're running on a pure SSD system but you don't have much to lose if your system supports it. You also get the advantage of caching reads AND writes, unlike the Seagate hybrid drives.

I remember tests with the Intel 20GB drive designed to be used as a cache drive. It's as fast as the 160/180GB Intel drives, not slow as hell like the 40GB Intel drives were.

They also replaced that with a bigger, different SSD and it was a little faster but not much.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 16, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
You wouldn't want to use an Adrenaline for SRT, you're paying for the Dataplex caching software. The drive itself isn't particularly fast either. The Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 60GB for $79.99 seems like a pretty good choice, you get a bit more capacity and it comes with synchronous flash like the Corsair Force GT.

Edit: Bob Morales is talking about the Anandtech SRT article. The 20GB Intel drives are pretty worthless for caching because they simply aren't large enough. During normal usage your apps will be evicted from the cache so there isn't as much performance benefit. You really want a 60-64GB drive so your data stays in the cache.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 16, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That Intel 311 is $119 for 20GB?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167062

I know it's SLC instead of MLC but drat.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
poo poo, at that price you might as well get a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 120GB, use 64GB for cache (the maximum), and put your pagefile, hibernation file, and maybe your browser profile in the rest of the space. If you don't fill the drive that also gives you same benefits as purpose-built cache drives with high overprovisioning.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

balakadaka posted:

This is probably covered by the OP, but I want to be doubly sure on this bit.

I just bought a Crucial m4 256. I've got an nForce 630a board, which I found out doesn't support AHCI (and is SATA 3GB/s). Does true TRIM functionality require AHCI?

I've run
code:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
on Win 7 x64 and it returns 0, but I'm unsure if that's the end-all be-all for checking TRIM. I'm just nervous running the drive in my system will degrade it prematurely

The good news: you don't necessarily need AHCI to enable TRIM support; it works at a lower level.

The bad news: you do need a sufficiently modern SATA controller to enable TRIM support. Your Nforce doesn't qualify. Sorry.

The OK news: don't worry too much about degradation without TRIM. It's not a reliability thing; it's a performance thing. Yes, non-TRIM-aware garbage collection can suffer from increased write amplification, but a modern SSD will still probably outlast any mechanical drive you buy at the same time, not to mention its own useful life as a storage device. Unless you plan to archive data for a very long time, or to run obscene workloads for years on end, flash degradation is not really an issue.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bob Morales posted:

Well yeah. It's an Enterprise drive that's intended to be used as a cache-drive for high-end business servers or whatnot where it'll get read/written to continuously. In a high-volume production setting, the SLC vs MLC thing can actually have meaning. I mean, it's still expensive and all, but check out what happens to HDD prices when you slap "Enterprise" or "RAID edition" onto them; poo poo gets crazy!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

but a modern SSD will still probably outlast any mechanical drive you buy at the same time, not to mention its own useful life as a storage device.
When I was looking into whether to disable defrag for an SSD (consensus: do not defrag), I came across some comments about SSD's lasting longer the HDD's for most consumer applications. Assuming a HDD lasts for at least 5 years without any problems, maybe 7 years before you replace it, will an SSD really last longer?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That's a big assumption, but yes. Assuming no premature failures, an SSD will last until the flash has no more program/erase cycles. For most home users, that takes well over a decade of normal daily use.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Josh Lyman posted:

When I was looking into whether to disable defrag for an SSD (consensus: do not defrag), I came across some comments about SSD's lasting longer the HDD's for most consumer applications. Assuming a HDD lasts for at least 5 years without any problems, maybe 7 years before you replace it, will an SSD really last longer?

Well, not if you buy OCZ. :haw:

Flash does eventually degrade, but it takes a lot of work to do it. Anandtech did a piece on just what it would take to wear out an SSD through flash degradation; long story short, with reasonable quality memory, you're looking at probably at least a decade of heavy use even with 25nm MLC flash. Of course, there are other failure modes, which don't involve running out of cycles: manufacturing problems, lovely firmware, underspecced memory, and so on (you know, the litany of OCZ problems) can add up to a drive that dies very quickly. But, in terms of the physical hard limits for well-built devices, flash in an SSD will very likely take longer to wear out than the precision mechanical bits of a traditional hard drive.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 16, 2012

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

Well, not if you buy OCZ. :haw:

Which he did even though people told him not to :toot:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

The only use that makes sense is as a ZFS ZIL.
Otherwise just buy a smallish MLC drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DrDork posted:

Well yeah. It's an Enterprise drive that's intended to be used as a cache-drive for high-end business servers or whatnot where it'll get read/written to continuously. In a high-volume production setting, the SLC vs MLC thing can actually have meaning. I mean, it's still expensive and all, but check out what happens to HDD prices when you slap "Enterprise" or "RAID edition" onto them; poo poo gets crazy!

It's also what Intel recommends for Z68 cache usage

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

Bob Morales posted:

It's also what Intel recommends for Z68 cache usage

I can't help but think you'd regret not spending that money on a consumer product. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd use that for a dedicated tempdb drive as opposed to even a catch-all data cache. If someone can afford a Z68 board (which aren't all that expensive), spend an extra $50 and get a 128GB SSD

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

balakadaka posted:

I can't help but think you'd regret not spending that money on a consumer product. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd use that for a dedicated tempdb drive as opposed to even a catch-all data cache. If someone can afford a Z68 board (which aren't all that expensive), spend an extra $50 and get a 128GB SSD

I think the problem is they were priced the same as a 40/60GB drive (while being much faster and more reliable) when they came out a year ago ($100) and the price just never went down like they have with other drives.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

The good news: you don't necessarily need AHCI to enable TRIM support; it works at a lower level.

The bad news: you do need a sufficiently modern SATA controller to enable TRIM support. Your Nforce doesn't qualify. Sorry.

The OK news: don't worry too much about degradation without TRIM. It's not a reliability thing; it's a performance thing. Yes, non-TRIM-aware garbage collection can suffer from increased write amplification, but a modern SSD will still probably outlast any mechanical drive you buy at the same time, not to mention its own useful life as a storage device. Unless you plan to archive data for a very long time, or to run obscene workloads for years on end, flash degradation is not really an issue.

Thanks for the response on this. I had thought buying a board in 2011 would have newfangled AHCI support :v: whoops!

I recall some older SSD's (X25 era) had an estimated 3 year span, but I wasn't sure if newer drives were juat more robust on their own, or more robust due to TRIM

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

balakadaka posted:

Thanks for the response on this. I had thought buying a board in 2011 would have newfangled AHCI support :v: whoops!
But the nForce 630a was released in September 2007. :psyduck:

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

But the nForce 630a was released in September 2007. :psyduck:

Yeah, that's totally my fault for impulse-buying some shithouse $50 Gigabyte clearance board when I bought a Phenom II on sale. I think I found out why it was so cheap...

But I also see this as a lesson learned - buy decent hardware, even if it's $30-50 more than the cheap stuff.

balakadaka fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 16, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

balakadaka posted:

I can't help but think you'd regret not spending that money on a consumer product.
It's not intended for people interested in buying consumer-grade products. It is an Enterprise drive, aimed at businesses, who aren't going to bat an eye at the price. This is also the target demographic for the $300-$400 Enterprise/RAID-Edition 2TB HDDs that no normal consumer in their right mind would bother with.

But yeah, for a normal person there's no reason to even consider using it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

DrDork posted:

It's not intended for people interested in buying consumer-grade products. It is an Enterprise drive, aimed at businesses, who aren't going to bat an eye at the price. This is also the target demographic for the $300-$400 Enterprise/RAID-Edition 2TB HDDs that no normal consumer in their right mind would bother with.

But yeah, for a normal person there's no reason to even consider using it.
The Intel SSD 311 absolutely is a consumer drive, it only has "Enterprise" in the Newegg description because that's how Newegg identifies drives using SLC flash. It was at a consumer price point when it launched, but as Bob Morales mentioned, it never went down in price (in fact it's now $10 MORE expensive than it was a year ago). It exists for the sole purpose of acting as a SRT cache drive.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have a Samsung 470 (128gig) SSD and an Seagate 750gig Momentus XT Hybrid. I am trying to decide which to keep in my 17" MBP (Early 2011). I like the Seagate because of the space and SSD-like performance, but it runs and runs when I close my lid (i.e. never sleeps). This is a deal-breaker.

I know the 470 is kind of old now (in comparison) but is it generally regarded as a reliable drive? I'm leaning towards returning the XT since there is obviously some firmware fuckery going on with MBPs, but don't want an SSD that will poo poo the bed in a few years.

When I bought it last September, it seemed to be a solid drive - seem to remember reading that since Samsung makes it's own controller (no Sandforce jazz) it was regarded as very reliable and long-lasting.

Any thoughts/advice?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yes Samsung's SSDs are very reliable.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/runcore-intros-invincible-ssd-with-physical-self-destruct-feature/15892.html

Now this is interesting. A self-destructing SSD that overvolts the NAND and fries it, getting rid of "sensitive" material. Wonder if they realize what 99% of their market is going to become though?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/runcore-intros-invincible-ssd-with-physical-self-destruct-feature/15892.html

Now this is interesting. A self-destructing SSD that overvolts the NAND and fries it, getting rid of "sensitive" material. Wonder if they realize what 99% of their market is going to become though?

That's actually kind of cool. Part of me hopes an intern accidentally fried a drive after some botched reworking, and then a few other engineers had a moment of genius and were like..."holy poo poo, what if we did this on purpose!"

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

An SSD that munches data? They'll be sued by OCZ for infringing intellectual property.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I guess it's Sandforce based, but anyone in the UK may be interested in looking at: http://www.ebuyer.com/341349-kingston-120gb-v-200-ssd-2-5-sata-iii-svp200s3-120g

Kingston V+200 120GB for £70. drat.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

If the price-point on those was competitive, the military would be all over those things. And not just for the super-secret stuff, either; disposal of any drive that might have had any sort of sensitive data or personal data (medical records, etc, which ends up being just about every drive ever) is supposed to get shipped off to a disposal facility so they can ensure proper destruction--at quite a cost. Being able to fry the drive and call it good would noticeably simplify that disposal process.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

DrDork posted:

If the price-point on those was competitive, the military would be all over those things. And not just for the super-secret stuff, either; disposal of any drive that might have had any sort of sensitive data or personal data (medical records, etc, which ends up being just about every drive ever) is supposed to get shipped off to a disposal facility so they can ensure proper destruction--at quite a cost. Being able to fry the drive and call it good would noticeably simplify that disposal process.

The video on that page is clearly marketing it for the military too; they even show a bunch of soldiers combat training. I think it's also pretty clearly the idea behind the design of the exterior cover (it's green and looks like can take a bit of a beating).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zat posted:

The video on that page is clearly marketing it for the military too; they even show a bunch of soldiers combat training. I think it's also pretty clearly the idea behind the design of the exterior cover (it's green and looks pretty well-protected).

Like those dumb military-class motherboards?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Well, those have obviously nothing to do with real field usage and are just designed to appeal to people playing Battlefield. I would compare the way this SSD looks like on the outside with the Panasonic Toughbooks which I saw plenty when I was doing my service for the Finnish Defence Forces.

Something like

(except I think they were just solid green and not painted in a stupid redundant camouflage like that)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Why do you hate freedom? :911:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

movax posted:

Why do you hate freedom? :911:

They're pretty good boards, they just have a dumb color scheme... much like Thermalright products.

I really want one of those, assuming that's a Z77 :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dogen posted:

They're pretty good boards, they just have a dumb color scheme... much like Thermalright products.

I don't even think that's the dumbest one, I swear there's some variant with a "Flak Jacket" whole-board plastic cover thing ostensibly for "thermal "purposes.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Asus' Sabertooth series. Agreed has one, he says it actually works.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

movax posted:

I don't even think that's the dumbest one, I swear there's some variant with a "Flak Jacket" whole-board plastic cover thing ostensibly for "thermal "purposes.

That's it with the covering removed, I believe.

edit: upon further inspection I think that's an older one from before they used that covering, maybe, but it's definitely the sabertooth line

Factory Factory posted:

Asus' Sabertooth series. Agreed has one, he says it actually works.

Supposedly they are great boards if you can get past the looks issue.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Dogen posted:

I agree that the camo idea is pretty dumb, but I like the muted colors. It's better than the bright blue that seems geared towards case windows and LEDs.

• Locked thread