Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm now staring at a Crucial M4 128GB. Dear Wife, when can we leave your parents house and go home? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Raere posted:

I have an OCZ Agility 3 that regularly BSOD'd weekly at random times, the drive would just disappear completely, even from the BIOS. It wouldn't reappear until I shut off power to the computer completely and then turned it back on. OCZ kept saying that 'only a small percentage of users are reporting this issue but it's fixed in this firmware release!' As of their 2.15 release, I haven't had any more issues. If you see a good deal on the Agility or Vertex 3 and were holding off due to firmware issues, I think they're pretty much resolved now. The 2.15 firmware has been the latest release for like 2 months now.
This is bad advice. The firmware issues with the Sandforce controller were indeed fixed, but OCZ still has a reputation of awful Q/A, so you shouldn't give them your business.

My Vertex2 (purchased lightly-used at a large discount) is still rolling along comfortably, but it still could be a ticking time bomb given OCZ's track record.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed the Force series from Corsair have their first firmware update.. I have no idea what is fixed though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I got an Intel Series 320 120GB for Christmas, and it is awesome. Only question I have is concerning the Black Friday rebate. Do I just cut off the entire flap with all the barcodes and send it in with the forms? It's the only UPC I see on the box.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

There's one that says UPC right next to it. It's in among the six others that look very similar. (I had the same question and looked it up in one of the slickdeal threads :))

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
So after about 8 months of no issues I'm now getting random PC lockups with my 60GB OCZ Vertex 3. No errors, nothing in the event viewer after I reboot, no BSOD. Thinking of replacing it with a Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128 GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s for my OS and then using the OCZ for storing movies until OCZ gets their poo poo fixed properly

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What is the current firmware revision on that drive? There was a pretty bad SandForce bug that was patched in the past month or so.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
This might be a dumb question, but I can only find ambiguous answers. My command prompt tells me that TRIM is enabled for my SSD...but how do I actually use it? Is TRIM an automatic feature, or do I need to do something to run it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Stoic Commie posted:

This might be a dumb question, but I can only find ambiguous answers. My command prompt tells me that TRIM is enabled for my SSD...but how do I actually use it? Is TRIM an automatic feature, or do I need to do something to run it?

You don't have to do anything. It just happens.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just go a Intel 320 120GB for Christmas and it's all set up and running. What's a good size for my pagefile? I have 12GB of RAM, so of course it's holding on to 12GB for the pagefile which is an awful lot on my little SSD meant for games.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anti-Hero posted:

I just go a Intel 320 120GB for Christmas and it's all set up and running. What's a good size for my pagefile? I have 12GB of RAM, so of course it's holding on to 12GB for the pagefile which is an awful lot on my little SSD meant for games.
From the OP:
Do not disable the page file or move it to a hard disk drive, just set it to a smaller, fixed amount if necessary, such as half of your system RAM

Set it to something like 2GB. More if you're using your computer to render Jurassic Park.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

From the OP:
Do not disable the page file or move it to a hard disk drive, just set it to a smaller, fixed amount if necessary, such as half of your system RAM

Set it to something like 2GB. More if you're using your computer to render Jurassic Park.

poo poo. Sorry, I must have missed that in the OP. I'll set it to 2GB and up it if I run in to problems.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't know if this has been answered or not but why the hell is flash memory still so expensive :smith:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know if this has been answered or not but why the hell is flash memory still so expensive :smith:

Flash memory is mindblowingly cheap, honestly.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Tab8715 posted:

Because it has to be manufactured using discs of pure silicon with fewer than 1-2 parts per million impurities, in factories that cost several billion dollars to build.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

it's on silicon, so the fab responsible for your SSD could just as easily be making thumb drives or GPUs or some other poo poo that more than like 2% of computer users are interested in. I think that old pdf demonstrated that if we converted every fab in the world to pure NAND production there'd still only be enough to meet something like 25% of storage demands, and that was written in early 2010?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Straker posted:

it's on silicon, so the fab responsible for your SSD could just as easily be making thumb drives or GPUs or some other poo poo that more than like 2% of computer users are interested in. I think that old pdf demonstrated that if we converted every fab in the world to pure NAND production there'd still only be enough to meet something like 25% of storage demands, and that was written in early 2010?

What pdf?

I kind of want to get a 128GB Drive, but a nearly a $1 per GB it's not worth it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

What pdf?

I kind of want to get a 128GB Drive, but a nearly a $1 per GB it's not worth it?
It depends on what you consider worth it. If 120GB is enough for your needs, the high performance justifies the price premium. Additionally, with harddrive prices as high as they are, a 120GB SSD can be cheaper than the price of a decent harddrive. If you really do need harddrive-like capacity, then yeah SSDs aren't there yet, but will become more reasonable over time as the cost/GB drops.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Tab8715 posted:

What pdf?

I definitely wanted several drives, and at a bit over $2/GB it was worth it.

"Worth it" is a really subjective phrase.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Tab8715 posted:

You're comparing them to current HDD prices when HDDs have been under development and marketed for longer. In spite of SSDs' manufacturing costs and inherently lower demand due to its lower capacities (especially in the lowest end), SSDs' per-gig prices have fallen by 50% every year for the last three years -- that's nothing to sneeze at.

The Intel X25-M was released late '08 at $529 ($6.5/GB). Now at the end of '11, deals for SSDs can be found for $1/GB. If you map that on to HDD prices, it took the same length, from late '01 to late '04, to get the same price per gig.

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 27, 2011

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Until I asked what you were thinking
This samsung SSD went on sale as part of Newegg's "2011 best-seller blow out" that's going on. I've been waiting for a while to pull the trigger on an SSD and am wondering if a less technically challenged goon could tell me if this is worth getting.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Chronos13 posted:

This samsung SSD went on sale as part of Newegg's "2011 best-seller blow out" that's going on. I've been waiting for a while to pull the trigger on an SSD and am wondering if a less technically challenged goon could tell me if this is worth getting.
It's rather old, so you'd probably be better off with something recommended in the OP, like this Corsair Force 3 120GB for $159.99-$30 MIR=$129.99.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I just got my Crucial M4 256GB up and running and it's absurd how fast things are. But boot time isn't quite as good as I was expecting; it still sits at the motherboard splash screen for ~30 seconds before moving on. I ran CrystalDiskMark and compared my benchmarks to some online for the drive, and mine do seem to be lacking. The ones I found:

And mine:

Does this fall under the category of "something is wrong" or am I just being paranoid?

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
30 seconds at the motherboard's splash? Either your boot delay is set way too high (go into BIOS and change it!) or something's seriously holding up the POST. Maybe a DVD drive that takes seconds to be recognized because it insists on spinning up the disk inside? Either way, an SSD won't help those - what it will do is seriously decrease the time you look at the Windows boot animation, so judge it by that.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Your QD=32 times aren't really any better than QD=1, which means you aren't getting NCQ, which means AHCI isn't enabled. You should do that (instructions are in the OP).

If your motherboard has two drive controllers, you can probably speed up POST time by disabling the RAID controller (which is probably some crappy Marvell controller you don't want to be using anyway).

Tab8715 posted:

I paid close to $8/GB for my first SSD and it was totally worth it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just ordered an Intel 320 (Boxing Day sale on newegg.ca) and I can't wait for that bad boy to arrive. I was worried about having to reinstall my OS, but after paging through the thread it looks like that won't be much of a concern.

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Until I asked what you were thinking

Alereon posted:

It's rather old, so you'd probably be better off with something recommended in the OP, like this Corsair Force 3 120GB for $159.99-$30 MIR=$129.99.

Thanks, I just noticed that force 3's price drop as well. I also saw that the Crucial M4 128gb dropped <$200 too and I'm trying to pick between one of these two.

What am I getting for the extra $60 that I would pay on the Crucial M4? It has the same disc space as the force 3 (ok fine the crucial has 8gb more) and the advertised speeds are allegedly higher on the force 3 too despite it being cheaper. What's the catch!?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Why do SSDs generally have faster writes than reads in the 4K benchmark?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The SSD doesn't get to pick where to read from, but it gets to pick where to write things to. It can pick the fastest/most convenient place to write to, it can cache/buffer things, and in the QD=32 case, combine all 32 queued 4KB writes into one single 128KB write.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

tzirean posted:

I just got my Crucial M4 256GB up and running and it's absurd how fast things are. But boot time isn't quite as good as I was expecting; it still sits at the motherboard splash screen for ~30 seconds before moving on. I ran CrystalDiskMark and compared my benchmarks to some online for the drive, and mine do seem to be lacking. The ones I found:

And mine:

Does this fall under the category of "something is wrong" or am I just being paranoid?

Something is wrong, but I don't think it's with the SSD.

First of all, at the BIOS splash screen, the disks aren't being read, SSD included. That 30 second pause is something not-SSD. It's likely beyond the scope of this thread to figure out what it is, though.

Second, do you have AHCI enabled? It looks like you don't, as the high-queue random I/O is nearly identical to the no-queue numbers. Google enabling AHCI in Windows, do that, then enable it in your BIOS and check CDM again. With luck, that should reduce the BIOS wait time, as well, as enumerating IDE drives (including SATA disks running in IDE compatibility mode) takes longer than enumerating AHCI SATA disks.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

I just ordered an Intel 320 (Boxing Day sale on newegg.ca) and I can't wait for that bad boy to arrive. I was worried about having to reinstall my OS, but after paging through the thread it looks like that won't be much of a concern.

I just cloned my old Intel X25-V 40G to my new 320 120G using the included free version of Acronis and it missed my master boot record. I spent an hour dicking around with it before I had to use my Windows 7 disk to repair the install, and now I have a 100MB "System Reserved" partition I can't get rid of. So a word of warning, have your Win7 disk hanging around just in case. Otherwise it was pretty painless.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

My year-ish old Kingston 64GB SSD poo poo itself and went into readonly mode :sigh:
Guess I'll call them up tonight and see if I can get it replaced, anyone have experience calling them up?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gatac posted:

30 seconds at the motherboard's splash? Either your boot delay is set way too high (go into BIOS and change it!) or something's seriously holding up the POST. Maybe a DVD drive that takes seconds to be recognized because it insists on spinning up the disk inside? Either way, an SSD won't help those - what it will do is seriously decrease the time you look at the Windows boot animation, so judge it by that.

Zhentar posted:

Your QD=32 times aren't really any better than QD=1, which means you aren't getting NCQ, which means AHCI isn't enabled. You should do that (instructions are in the OP).

If your motherboard has two drive controllers, you can probably speed up POST time by disabling the RAID controller (which is probably some crappy Marvell controller you don't want to be using anyway).

Factory Factory posted:

Something is wrong, but I don't think it's with the SSD.

First of all, at the BIOS splash screen, the disks aren't being read, SSD included. That 30 second pause is something not-SSD. It's likely beyond the scope of this thread to figure out what it is, though.

Second, do you have AHCI enabled? It looks like you don't, as the high-queue random I/O is nearly identical to the no-queue numbers. Google enabling AHCI in Windows, do that, then enable it in your BIOS and check CDM again. With luck, that should reduce the BIOS wait time, as well, as enumerating IDE drives (including SATA disks running in IDE compatibility mode) takes longer than enumerating AHCI SATA disks.

Thanks, guys. The AHCI thing was my bad; I thought it was set, but it wasn't. Handled that and the results screen looks quite a bit closer now:

However, that's made my boot time even longer, and the longest part is the Windows boot animation. I went through and timed the sequence, starting with the splash screen:

+0:00 Motherboard splash screen appears
+0:26 Splash screen goes away, is replaced by a new AHCI-related screen that looks like it's listing my drives
+0:31 New screen goes away, blank screen
+0:35 "Loading operating system..." This isn't new, but it previously went immediately to "Boot from DVD/CD:" and from there, assuming nothing in the drive, to the boot animation; about two seconds total.
+0:59 "Starting Windows"
+1:43 Boot animation ends, login screen appears

For reference's sake, the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2.

(Also, now every time I boot, xInsIDE.exe crashes, so I need to figure out what runs that and disable it.)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The 0:00-0:26 is POST related stuff... check for BIOS settings relating to memory checks/fast boot, there's probably something you can turn off to speed that up. 0:31-0:59, try taking your CD drive out of the boot order, updating your BIOS, or shaking your fist to the heavens and cursing "drat you Gigabyte!". A good part of the 0:59-1:43 is probably one or more slow to initialize drivers, but I don't know any way to diagnose which ones without using tools that are way beyond the average user.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

I just cloned my old Intel X25-V 40G to my new 320 120G using the included free version of Acronis and it missed my master boot record. I spent an hour dicking around with it before I had to use my Windows 7 disk to repair the install, and now I have a 100MB "System Reserved" partition I can't get rid of.

I've got a 100Mb system reserved partition after a fresh Win 7 install

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

tzirean posted:

Thanks, guys. The AHCI thing was my bad; I thought it was set, but it wasn't. Handled that and the results screen looks quite a bit closer now:

However, that's made my boot time even longer, and the longest part is the Windows boot animation. I went through and timed the sequence, starting with the splash screen:

+0:00 Motherboard splash screen appears
+0:26 Splash screen goes away, is replaced by a new AHCI-related screen that looks like it's listing my drives
+0:31 New screen goes away, blank screen
+0:35 "Loading operating system..." This isn't new, but it previously went immediately to "Boot from DVD/CD:" and from there, assuming nothing in the drive, to the boot animation; about two seconds total.
+0:59 "Starting Windows"
+1:43 Boot animation ends, login screen appears

For reference's sake, the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2.

(Also, now every time I boot, xInsIDE.exe crashes, so I need to figure out what runs that and disable it.)

I haven't used many UEFI machines, but I reinstalled an HP desktop (Core i7 860, 8GB) with AHCI enabled to an Intel X-25 80GB drive, and before I started adding stuff to the install like a password prompt it was 15-17 seconds from off to a desktop. Seconding the BIOS holding you up. Did you clone this drive, is it a fresh install?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Zhentar posted:

The SSD doesn't get to pick where to read from, but it gets to pick where to write things to. It can pick the fastest/most convenient place to write to, it can cache/buffer things, and in the QD=32 case, combine all 32 queued 4KB writes into one single 128KB write.
Thanks. I was being a :downs: and thinking of the block erasure limitation as being related to writes.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zhentar posted:

The 0:00-0:26 is POST related stuff... check for BIOS settings relating to memory checks/fast boot, there's probably something you can turn off to speed that up. 0:31-0:59, try taking your CD drive out of the boot order, updating your BIOS, or shaking your fist to the heavens and cursing "drat you Gigabyte!". A good part of the 0:59-1:43 is probably one or more slow to initialize drivers, but I don't know any way to diagnose which ones without using tools that are way beyond the average user.

I'll go through the BIOS again tomorrow; there was nothing I noticed the last time I went through, so if there's a setting in there it's hiding from me. 0:31-0:59 has only been this slow since I turned on AHCI, so I guess I'm reduced to cursing Gigabyte on that one.

Could the 0:59-1:43 delay have anything to do with xInsIDE.exe crashing immediately upon login?

Oddhair posted:

I haven't used many UEFI machines, but I reinstalled an HP desktop (Core i7 860, 8GB) with AHCI enabled to an Intel X-25 80GB drive, and before I started adding stuff to the install like a password prompt it was 15-17 seconds from off to a desktop. Seconding the BIOS holding you up. Did you clone this drive, is it a fresh install?

It's a clone. I don't have the time and didn't have the desire to do a fresh install and then reinstall everything.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

tzirean posted:

Could the 0:59-1:43 delay have anything to do with xInsIDE.exe crashing immediately upon login?

Oh Jesus, JMicron RAID? Yeah, that would introduce impressive delays on boot. Unless you have drives plugged into that controller, turn it off completely in the BIOS. At least see if you can change it to AHCI instead of RAID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Would it be terribly inefficient to hook up a Corsair Force 3 240 GB SATA 3 to a sata 2 controller?

• Locked thread