Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

The prices continue to fall: Crucial M4 256GB is $179.99 on Amazon today.

edit: Back up to $196 $199. Still a good deal, I bet $99/$199 become the "standard" prices for 128/256 respectively.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Price match at Staples then take $25 off

http://slickdeals.net/f/4705556-SSD-Crucial-M4-256GB-for-164-99-at-staples-PM-to-Amazon

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
With these prices it's so tempting to pick up a 256 and ditch my 120107GB Vertex 2E pre-emptively before it inevitably fails.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

DarkJC posted:

With these prices it's so tempting to pick up a 256 and ditch my 120107GB Vertex 2E pre-emptively before it inevitably fails.

Very tempting. I'm kicking myself, since I JUST bought an M4 128GB at $109 for my laptop. If the price holds out til payday, I'm all over this 256 for my desktop.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Are there any downsides to me buying this from amazon.com and having it shipped to the UK? Cause even with tax and duty it's still WAY cheaper.

Nevermind. They won't ship it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

That's a god drat steal. Anyone that doesn't have a SSD yet should spring for that drive.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Yeah, I saw that in the SSD deal thread in coupons and had to pick up a couple. Looks like Amazon has them limited to one per customer, but Newegg has it for the same price with the $20 off promo code 24HRSALE606D.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I just bought that SSD for $40 more ($219) from Newegg yesterday! I emailed them to see if they would refund me the price difference. If not, I guess I'll have to RMA it, eat the fee, and then buy it again.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Monopthalmus posted:

I just bought that SSD for $40 more ($219) from Newegg yesterday! I emailed them to see if they would refund me the price difference. If not, I guess I'll have to RMA it, eat the fee, and then buy it again.
Talk to them on the support chat. I did that when the 830 price dropped $20 over Memorial Day weekend and they gave me an immediate refund for the difference.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

grumperfish posted:

Talk to them on the support chat. I did that when the 830 price dropped $20 over Memorial Day weekend and they gave me an immediate refund for the difference.

They just answered my email and are willing to credit me the $20 for the price drop, but not the $20 for the coupon code. Meh. Better than nothing I guess and more than I would get if I did an RMA. Kinda bummed, though.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

How long until these 256GB drives are at or below $100? Really want an SSD but can't justify spending more than that for nonessentials right now.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

In my uninformed opinion you're looking at 12-18 months, if you're lucky.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
On the other hand, $100 will buy you a decent 128GB drive, which is sufficient for most people to use as a main drive with another HDD serving as mass-storage. Unless you're on a laptop, anyhow.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Xbit did a review of the OCZ Petrol that was released ages ago but was completely impossible to find information on. Apparently OCZ have been making it difficult for reviewers to get samples of it. Also, it had significant changes in SMART data through their testing. Has OCZ legitimately managed to reach a new low?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Anyone recommend where I can buy an SSD from in Australia? Besides eBay that is. And if you answer with Amazon, unless something has changed and they are actually shipping more than a limited subset of items with horrific postage, please feel free to punch yourself in the genitals repeatedly.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Allstone posted:

Xbit did a review of the OCZ Petrol that was released ages ago but was completely impossible to find information on. Apparently OCZ have been making it difficult for reviewers to get samples of it. Also, it had significant changes in SMART data through their testing. Has OCZ legitimately managed to reach a new low?
My roommate works at a computer store that ordered a bunch of smaller OCZ Petrol drives to stock as a dirt cheap SSD option in addition to the good drives they sell. She said that every single Petrol drive they sold was returned for some kind of defect or failure within the first 30 days, to the point where they just demanded the distributor take back all the drives and refund their money. Anecdotes are not evidence, but the Petrol series really does seem worse than usual for OCZ.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

General_Failure posted:

Anyone recommend where I can buy an SSD from in Australia? Besides eBay that is. And if you answer with Amazon, unless something has changed and they are actually shipping more than a limited subset of items with horrific postage, please feel free to punch yourself in the genitals repeatedly.
Yeah, gently caress Amazon.

Use http://staticice.com.au/ to find the cheapest thing in your area.

MSY have the 240GB Sandisk Extreme frives for $248, which is about as good as you're going to get in Australia

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

General_Failure posted:

I like MSY, Umart and PCCaseGear, myself, but yeah, probably go with StaticIce and pick what'll get you the SSD cheapest without having to deal with a store that looks to dodgy. Also when I say I like MSY I mean I like their prices and not much else.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks for the advice. So it looks like either that, eBay or trying to find a store overseas that doesn't thoroughly rape foreigners on postage.

Amazon aren't exactly all that hot on Australia. At best apparently they were willing to ship to shops in a book store chain (Angus and Robertson?) using them as a go between and pick up point, and postage was really jacked up. I don't want to be bent over on extra fees, don't know if they would actually ship what I wanted, and the bookstore? well none locally so yes. gently caress Amazon indeed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General_Failure posted:

PC Case Gear all the way. Great service, they don't gently caress you around with stock levels

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

Use http://staticice.com.au/ to find the cheapest thing in your area.

MSY have the 240GB Sandisk Extreme frives for $248, which is about as good as you're going to get in Australia

I bought this from MSY for a laptop & its been really reliable. Good price too

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

You can buy direct from Crucial as well. UPS Express International Shipping is $25, so a 256GB Crucial M4 comes to $256.99USD shipped, compared to $335 + shipping from PCCaseGear.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 8, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alereon posted:

My roommate works at a computer store that ordered a bunch of smaller OCZ Petrol drives to stock as a dirt cheap SSD option in addition to the good drives they sell. She said that every single Petrol drive they sold was returned for some kind of defect or failure within the first 30 days, to the point where they just demanded the distributor take back all the drives and refund their money. Anecdotes are not evidence, but the Petrol series really does seem worse than usual for OCZ.

Kind of reinforcing "gently caress OCZ" and not just "gently caress Sandforce"

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

What's the consensus on SanDisk? The 240GB is a $179 Gold Box deal today.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Argyle posted:

What's the consensus on SanDisk? The 240GB is a $179 Gold Box deal today.
A lot of marketing but from the looks of the reviews on this and most of their other products they seem to put out a pretty good product.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Evidently a lot has changed in SSD tech over the past two years. I ran a back-to-back crystal disk mark analysis of my system before and after replacing my SSD with a Crucial M4(for space upgrade reasons). The read and write times, other than 4k, are 2 - 4 times faster.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And I'm hoping the speeds stay the same for a while. Is anyone really hoping for faster speeds? We just want bigger sizes and lower prices.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I didn't see a huge difference between my new M4 and old Vertex. The M4 was definitely faster but not even 2x if I recall. Both are on SATA 3 ports though. :(

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Mu Zeta posted:

And I'm hoping the speeds stay the same for a while. Is anyone really hoping for faster speeds? We just want bigger sizes and lower prices.

You sound like my girlfriend.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Obviously nobody from Microsoft reads SHSC..

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Welp, this can only end well :laugh:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Even with OCZ being less reliable, if they're fast enough and MS is getting them cheap enough, and they're used in a redundant manner (which of course they are), then they could easily be a good choice.

On the other hand, even though I've never had a problem with my OCZ SSD's, I don't like to see them getting support.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

They probably just put out a competitive bid on the supply of drives. I'd love to hear how this plays out, but we won't. OCZ is going to be running full blast shipping out drive replacements though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Civil posted:

They probably just put out a competitive bid on the supply of drives. I'd love to hear how this plays out, but we won't. OCZ is going to be running full blast shipping out drive replacements though.

That's what I'm thinking. This might actually work out badly for OCZ. Time will tell. It's an interesting data point for SSD life, if nothing else, hopefully some information will get out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Civil posted:

In the details of the article, they suggest it is the Z-Drive R4 being used, which is pretty much such a niche produce that only OCZ and a few traditionally high-end super-expensive enterprise-only focused companies (like LSI and Fusion-io) bother to make them. That may mean that OCZ could substantially pad their bid to account for failures and still come in way under what the enterprise players' bid.

Plus you figure that Microsoft is already paying a full-time staff to manage the thing, so having to physically replace a few drives every so often probably isn't seen as a big issue. And if the bid is aggressive enough to cover the purchase of a few extra nodes so that over-all uptime isn't impacted, either, then Microsoft may end up simply not caring that the failure rate is probably gonna be higher than with LSI or Fusion-io.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
There's also no guarantee what they sell a big client is the same as what consumers get. They might send their better product to clients who pay more and let consumers deal with worse QC and more RMAs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

16TB

Look at those stacked boards full of chips.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Is this alright for a Crucial m4 512GB on SATA 2?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

30 seconds on Google for this:

Yes your numbers seem reasonable considering you're using SATA 2. Now that your purchase has been validated, enjoy your SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

HalloKitty posted:

Kind of reinforcing "gently caress OCZ" and not just "gently caress Sandforce"

Specifically, how bad is a non-OCZ Sandforce drive these days? I've used a Kingston V+200 in my laptop for two months now, and it's been pretty great.

• Locked thread