Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

spanko posted:

Is anyone else having problems with their Crucial M4 lately? In the last two days I've had two different people tell me their M4s starting crashing and the details are exactly the same. The computer locks up but sound still works including push to talk voip like mumble, ventrilo, or skype. They can move their cursors around for a few seconds but can't interact with anything, and then the computer BSODs. There's some posts on the Crucial SSD forums about it but no response from Crucial, and its hard to tell if the issues on the forums are the same thing. Its just really weird cause both these people have had their drives for a while, updated their firmware in the last couple months, and both their problems started in the last two days.

Just saw this (or something remarkably like it) last night for the first time. Couldn't actually launch task manager, even just opening windows in Explorer would never show directory contents, etc.

On reboot it happened again for about 2 minutes (nothing more would launch, etc, as if there's no disk IO possible) but then it recovered.

I am not familiar with the '5000 hours bug' or issue, but I haven't had mine nearly that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Alereon posted:

Yes, SSDs are awesome, but let's be realistic: Light/normal usage isn't bottlenecked in any way by a reasonably modern 7200rpm harddrive as long as it isn't failing, full, or badly fragmented. With the prices of SSDs of course it makes little sense to buy a harddrive for your system drive, but replacing an existing drive can be much less compelling for most people.

The argument people are using as far as SSDs being relevant in the mainstream is that if the machine is modern enough (or was high-end enough at the time) that it probably isn't bottlenecked by actual CPU speed or RAM - it's disk I/O constrained.

The more high-end the system, the more that's true. If you bought a brand new machine that's 4+ cores, etc, unless you did something like put 2GB of RAM in it, it's the disk that's going to be the one thing you could really upgrade that would make a lot of (small) improvements.

My main desktop is from 2009 or something at this point, but disk IO was definitely the slowest thing in the system...but that's because it's a 2x4 Core Xeon w/ 10GB of memory.

Whether Joe OfficeComputer actually even has a reasonable amount of memory installed in his machine is a bit suspect though. If he's got 4GB plus though? Yeah, SSD is probably the least painful upgrade.

• Locked thread