Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there a guide out there anywhere for setting up encryption using TrueCrypt on SSD setups? I've got windows on an SSD and my user profile on an HDD and I want to encrypt all my drives, but I'm thinking problems will arise if I have to manually mount my user profile drive after booting windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Does anyone know how to force a drive to be a certain drive letter? I encrypted my program files drive, which was formerly E:\ but will now come up as something else when truecrypt mounts it. It's mounted as a system favorite, so it mounts before windows loads.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

dietcokefiend posted:

Once windows loads you should be able to go into computer management and change the drive letter and that should stick. Does the letter at least stay consistent or does it bounce around each time depending on what else is plugged into the system?
I'll give that a go when I get home from work. How does windows disk manager work? By SATA connection, or drive serial? I might shuffle things around in my case and it'd help to know.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

dietcokefiend posted:

Want to see how much software encryption destroys SSD performance?
Does TrueCrypt normally destroy performance like this? I was under the impression modern chips could do encryption via hardware. What's the takeaway on encrypting SSDs?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've got an Intel 510. Is this limited to the 8 character BIOS password, and is there a guide I can read about setting it up?

Using the built in FDE is all well and good, but I need my Program Files drive to mount also before windows even starts. I don't know of a way to do this without using TrueCrypt.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Welp. I'll give this TC setup a go for a while and see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

dietcokefiend posted:

Do you have Windows 7 Ultimate by chance? Bitlocker will offer much nicer speeds.
I do, but that still doesn't solve the problem of mounting my secondary drive before loading windows (unless bootlocker can do that too). When TC decrypts a drive the last step is to remove the TC bootloader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

dietcokefiend posted:

EDIT: Just looked at the wording, and it says it will automatically unlock the secondary drive at windows login. So for that you might be screwed. Are the programs seperate from the files you need to encrypt? IE make two partitions... one for the software, one for the sensitive data?
The drive contains my user profile (My Documents, Downloads, etc.) as well as most installed programs, like Firefox. I consider all that saved form information (CC number, for example) sensitive data, so I'd like the whole thing encrypted.

• Locked thread